Re: 2018/05/28 - Alternative Methods

Post by Frank »

d'aww Fox puppies! er kitties, er cubs!
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Pandooble

Post by Pandooble »

Aw. I was kinda hoping for a break from the big adventures for a bit. Hopefully this is just some foreshadowing for something a while off.
I'm great at adding nothing to the conversation :'D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, androgyny and gender confusion would not be new elements in Housepets! storytelling..... ;)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

KJOokami wrote:I'm honestly curious why so many people think Dragon's foxy reincarnation is not still a female. There aren't really many distinguishing features between male and female in the HP! style, and especially so when the characters are as young as Dragon and Pete's new bodies are in the most recent strip. In general, the designs of characters are fairly androgynous, and I think that's at least somewhat intentional.
For me, it's not her look so much as it is both her and Craig's looks. Craig looks pretty feminine to me, at least in comparison to Draig, so it makes her look more masculine.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

SuperStar wrote:
KJOokami wrote:I'm honestly curious why so many people think Dragon's foxy reincarnation is not still a female. There aren't really many distinguishing features between male and female in the HP! style, and especially so when the characters are as young as Dragon and Pete's new bodies are in the most recent strip. In general, the designs of characters are fairly androgynous, and I think that's at least somewhat intentional.
For me, it's not her look so much as it is both her and Craig's looks. Craig looks pretty feminine to me, at least in comparison to Draig, so it makes her look more masculine.
I think rick tried to make Pete look masculine using brown instead of reddish, its reminiscent of adding a "five-o-clock shadow". But yeah i agree Pete looks super effeminate in that pic.
Image Image
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

I wonder what these new characters' intentions are.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...probably not mere beguiling kittish mischief.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

It would be neat if this were a bait and switch and they're not Dragon and Pete but Satau and P'Tah :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Come on, Keene, you really can't be seriously thinking you do something like that again ~ unless Karishad ropes you somehow. or Breel. or~

you know what, i'm just gonna shut up.

Also, get rid of those glasses. You are not Albert Wesker =P

So now i'm curious - they are not Kari's, but they have the same mark on their noses. Kari reborn in a mortal body?!?

Can't wait to see these two foxes find out all the mortal shinanigans if they know about them :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Eh, i'm not sure i see the point of Keene doing this again... Its been long established that Keene needed pete's temple because he had been saving up mana for millennia. Pete and Dragon just need to break the deal with kitsune not alter reality itself so i assume that's why its ok for them.

It sorta makes you wonder though why Keene didn't use that mana that Pete openly gave him long ago. Even if it wasn't enough to alter the fabric of the cosmos i could see keene using it to puppet master the worlds legal systems. or somthing...
Image Image
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

So, Dragon and Pete are back as... Craig and Draig? And they were living in the temple, too? That's totally unexpected after a long time, and they became some cute animals too, hello! :D :P Indeed, Sabrina, it would be about time to stop that. ;) But then, aren't you still done with all that stuff? :P Oh, Sabrina, look at Keene: he's totally different now, he has even no collar (in the previous comic strip he had it, anyway...)! :o Yeah, how could Keene be able to know about the existing of another source of power? Also if, apparently there's at least another one. :roll:
jonas

Post by jonas »

Heh, this opens up some odd possibilities.

Obviously they can access and manipulate the mana in the Egyptian temple (assuming they can get there and get into it). But would that be enough to, say, give them all the power they used to have? Some of it?

In these forms, do they accrue good and bad karma like normal mortals? Could they potentially end up in Hell if they made (really) bad choices? D:

Mildly morbid thought: if they're bound to a minimum sentence of sixty years, does that mean nothing on Earth could off them, despite being technically mortal? If they put themselves in a dangerous situation, would circumstances somehow conspire to remove the dangerous element no matter what?

Also, I wonder how frustrating it would be to go through helpless infancy fully aware and knowing that you used to be a cosmic being. :U

And boy, Pete better make sure that King doesn't find out about him...
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

I just realized that the pile of rubble that they are standing by is the ruin of Pete's temple. Heh, how high the mighty have fallen ;3

I would like to imagine that something in Kitsune's aforementioned "contract" stipulates that any attempt to use powers not typically bestowed on average mortals renders such powers null and void, as attempting to reattain such power defeats the purpose of living an entire mortal lifetime without phenomenal cosmic power (in an itty bitty living space). But that's just me. :3
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sansash wrote:I just realized that the pile of rubble that they are standing by is the ruin of Pete's temple. Heh, how high the mighty have fallen ;3

I would like to imagine that something in Kitsune's aforementioned "contract" stipulates that any attempt to use powers not typically bestowed on average mortals renders such powers null and void, as attempting to reattain such powet defeats the purpose of living an entire mortal lifetime without phenomenal cosmic power (in an itty bitty living space). But that's just me. :3
Maybe it does, and this was the flow of fate that was made to prevent them from getting it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Cesco wrote:So, Dragon and Pete are back as... Craig and Draig? And they were living in the temple, too?

Jess mentioned cubs living with her. I think she found some 'poor little orphans' and took them in.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
KathYohneke

Post by KathYohneke »

Honestly Im surprised its those two. I mean. kinda thought the skunk and crow which names escape me at the moment were them with their souls mixed together a little since they both have green and yellow eyes.

EDIT: WAIT. kitsune said 60 mortal years. he didnt specify 60 mortal years in one body. could have been divied up into multiple bodies! we seen dragon can be multiple people at once with their trip to 4 legger world.
IronLucario2012

Post by IronLucario2012 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Cesco wrote:So, Dragon and Pete are back as... Craig and Draig? And they were living in the temple, too?

Jess mentioned cubs living with her. I think she found some 'poor little orphans' and took them in.
Don't suppose you can remind me when this happened? Only I'm drawing a blank right now.
OrWasIt.EXE

Post by OrWasIt.EXE »

IronLucario2012 wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:

Don't suppose you can remind me when this happened? Only I'm drawing a blank right now.
She mentions them in Telltale Fox, specifically panel 1.
What do you get when you cram a shapeshifter, a dog-dragon, two wolves, a human, a robot, a bear, and a fox into one vessel? (They/Them pronouns)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh hey, look at these guys! This could be fun. :3 Though hopefully they aren't magic magnets like so many characters. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:

I think they weren't living in the temple and just got there for two reasons. if they were there before they would have had enough time to do whatever they need a temple for and if they lodged with Jessica for the same reason as Kari, the timing doesn't work out. They would've had to check into the Den before musing over the temple ruins.
Frank wrote:
jonas wrote:I doubt Rick would do this, but what if the "fox cubs" were GK's? X)
That makes me think, what if they're *gasp* Pete and Dragon?
Points to Frank for guessing this, but I don't think it's worth that much. One of the reasons Rick Griffin Might've done this is so he can now introduce new characters without the fans going rabid: "COULD THIS BE PETE AND DRAGON?!" "THEIR STORY IS CLOSED, THERE ISN'T ANY DEVELEPMENT LEFT." "BUT I WANT CLOSURE WITH SEEING WHAT THEY GOT INCARNATED AS PLUS MAYBE A BUNCH OF ARCS ABOUT THEM ADJUSTING."...
The cape comes with the promotion.
Argent

Post by Argent »

KJOokami wrote:
Argent wrote:*sniff* *sniff* smells like a retcon.
Nah. Taking advantage of past ambiguity, maybe.
He has to know how basically everyone interpreted this statement from the time it was made, it's come up in basically every thread that might even vaguely involve a reference to the Cosmic Geeks. Including, I'm pretty sure, threads he commented in. He didn't say anything about that being a misunderstanding until now. And he's said he's winging it a bunch. So. Retcon.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Speaking of Steward, Pete is now in the same house as that coin. That CAN'T be good.
There's a bunch more under that pile of rubble and foxes are awesome at digging.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Xane wrote:Wait, I thought they weren't supposed to have any memories of their celestial lives...

CERBERUS!!!
I was just thinking this very same thing.
Now I will have to reread the whole comic to see if that was the case and they cheated.
Leomon2004 wrote:*In singsongy voice* THEY'RE BAAAAAAAACK!
Guess who's are back? Back again? The nerds are back. Tell a friend.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

.... and then there's that basement Jessica just discovered.
Frank

Post by Frank »

NHWestoN wrote:...probably not mere beguiling kittish mischief.
oh no, now I'm imagining the raccoons taking them under their wing
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Can Tum come out and play?"
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:.... and then there's that basement Jessica just discovered.
That was Karishad's.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Rick. You must do it.

You must have them fall for the powers of the fox side.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

GameCobra wrote:Rick. You must do it.

Just to keep things Fair and Balanced....

I'll see myself out. :P

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

.... and the Temple also apparently had an opening to the Limrick-lovin' Hermit. Wonder if there's other tunnels leading from his novel that Dallas missed? Wonder if he's got a poem for foxified Celestials?

Is BGarden about to have a sinkhole crisis ?
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Argent wrote:
KJOokami wrote:
Argent wrote:*sniff* *sniff* smells like a retcon.
Nah. Taking advantage of past ambiguity, maybe.
He has to know how basically everyone interpreted this statement from the time it was made, it's come up in basically every thread that might even vaguely involve a reference to the Cosmic Geeks. Including, I'm pretty sure, threads he commented in. He didn't say anything about that being a misunderstanding until now. And he's said he's winging it a bunch. So. Retcon.
No, I told people *at the time* that the comment did not actually mean they'd lose all their memories, it's not my fault everyone wanted to run with their pet theories instead.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Funny, but the very mortal Res figured out how to fly. You'd think immortal pan dimensional beings would remember about jets.

The girl ferret who took over for Keene may not have her brother's experiences with Pete/Dragon and may not jump to any conclusions. They could apply for a grant to visit the pyramids just like a human would
Arvetis

Post by Arvetis »

Can we talk about how great Panel 3 is? I wish I had the artistic ability to convey information and tone that efficiently.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

rickgriffin wrote:
Argent wrote:
KJOokami wrote:He has to know how basically everyone interpreted this statement from the time it was made, it's come up in basically every thread that might even vaguely involve a reference to the Cosmic Geeks. Including, I'm pretty sure, threads he commented in. He didn't say anything about that being a misunderstanding until now. And he's said he's winging it a bunch. So. Retcon.
No, I told people *at the time* that the comment did not actually mean they'd lose all their memories, it's not my fault everyone wanted to run with their pet theories instead.
I mean not all of us were around at that time or checked the forum post, it's pretty hard to keep up with canon if it is only ever addressed on the forums or twitter or whatever, in the end people will interpret it based on what they see
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

This is super-exciting!
I did fantasize that Pete and Dragon would incarnate with no memories of their former selves and they would learn how mortals have hard lives and they are not toys and all that.
But I guess we already went througgh that with Keene, didn't we? XP
GameCobra wrote:So now i'm curious - they are not Kari's, but they have the same mark on their noses. Kari reborn in a mortal body?!?
Those are normal fox markings. All foxes in real life have them.
GameCobra wrote:Rick. You must do it.

And of course Great Kitsune would incarnate his two playmates into foxes. : P
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
jonas

Post by jonas »

Another random thought: since no one plays Universes & Unrealities on Earth, maybe the two young foxes will end up joining Joey, Lester & Dallas for their weekly gaming sessions...
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

AYE! THEY'RE BACK! and foxes too, so you know they will get into mischief! They were at the temple trying to get back to normal, maybe? They're too late though...
Allons-y
Arvetis

Post by Arvetis »

jonas wrote:Another random thought: since no one plays Universes & Unrealities on Earth, maybe the two young foxes will end up joining Joey, Lester & Dallas for their weekly gaming sessions...
If this doesn't happen, I am gonna sue Rick for comics malpractice.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Not A Furry wrote:I mean not all of us were around at that time or checked the forum post, it's pretty hard to keep up with canon if it is only ever addressed on the forums or twitter or whatever, in the end people will interpret it based on what they see
Well, that's the thing, though. It was addressed in the comic. The actual dialogue in the strip we've been discussing here says, "What did our two contestants win? Why, a no-expenses-paid vacation to mortality, which will last a minimum of sixty years--though they won't remember (it's all in the contract)!"

The important bit to take away here is the omission of "their immortality" or "their immortal lives" at the end of "though they won't remember". By leaving that bit out, the only thing left to infer is that Kitsune is referring to something in the former half of the sentence. And the only thing that is there to refer back to is their "vacation to mortality". Thus, pulling only from the information we are presented in the comic, the only possible interpretation is that Kitsune was referring to them not remembering their mortality after it ends (not their immortal lives which precede their reincarnation as fantastically fuzzy fox friends). Like I mentioned before, I think most people just kind of glossed over the actual words because it's not a common path to take with immortals in pop culture.

But fear not, mortals! The Word of Rick hath been given unto us. And the Furret doth say, "Relaaaaaaaaax, fellas. S'all good." Please note: what the Furret is quoted as having said does not necessarily reflect the syntactical preference of the Furret.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Except that's not what Rick said either :P
He said they won't remember (while they're mortals) that their sentence is a minimum of 60 years. Clearly the wording is a bit ambiguous since we're all drawing different conclusions from it, huh :lol:

It seems like only one person commented with the correct interpretation back when that strip went live:
WireWolf wrote:Everyone is ignoring another possibility. Maybe Pete and Dragon will simply have the terms of the Contract Retgonned from their minds.
Read what Kitsune said.
"Which will last a minimum of 60 years--Though they won't remember."

It sort of defeats the purpose of being made mortal when you know exactly when you you'd be allowed to die and go back to being a god. One of the big things about mortality after all is uncertainty. None of us know when we're going to get our tickets punched.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

This is why I shouldn't make comments when I'm tired.

"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"