2018/06/22 - Future Sight

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
NHWestoN

Re: 2018/06/22 - Future Sight

Post by NHWestoN »

...what Welsh Halfwit said.
Also, the question of who "owns" the ferrets is somewhat intriguing. As they are part of the "Milton Estate", did they inherit themselves? When we first met them, the little darlin's were in a "give away" box. However, they're sure emancipated and in control now, having sackked Mr. Steward.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Teaching? Incredibly well-paying?

Bless your sweet innocent heart.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I like house Jack and Miles are so realistic about his life expectancy as a criminal.
Sleet wrote:Teaching? Incredibly well-paying?

Bless your sweet innocent heart.
To be fair, it typically pays about $30,000 a year, which is well over what Jack could probably expect from his first job.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Someone never taught in North Carolina .... but, yeah, Jack's starting salary's probably a non-starter.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

you know, i'm picturing the return of Lucrecia's apron.

In an amusing "work at home" sense, i'm hoping it says "Animal instincts at work" :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

NHWestoN wrote:...what Welsh Halfwit said.
Also, the question of who "owns" the ferrets is somewhat intriguing. As they are part of the "Milton Estate", did they inherit themselves? When we first met them, the little darlin's were in a "give away" box. However, they're sure emancipated and in control now, having sackked Mr. Steward.
I suppose the butler could have inherited the estate after Steward. I remember it being stated that the ferrets were able to access their funds and start their projects by having him sign everything as the "owner," since pets aren't allowed to own property or assets in America.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Mr. Whisper wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: steward wasn't their owner, he was just in charge of their money, making sure the ferrets didn't spend it too stupidly and run the business into the ground. I believe the ferrets are still legally owned by Henry even if he isn't alive. so they own themselves.
First off: Sorry about this response being so late. I was out of town all day.
Secondly: I hope that's the case, otherwise, the Milton's will need to replace steward quick.
If I remember correctly, they're "owned" by the Milton Trust Fund. The Fund was initially administered by Steward, who was bound by will/contract to do whatever the ferrets said unless it would ... get them in trouble. The fund has since gained a board, but the ferrets get the loudest voices and votes in it.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Does anyone know which strip technically says anything about the legality of “who owns the Milton’s?” because at first I didn’t care but now I’m curious. The legality or laws mentioned in the comics are vague. The Milton’s “own”the wolves and King but not “legally” so...
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Hmm... Steward appears to be in charge of a trust of some sort with his power extending over both the estate left to them and the Milton Industries, but I'd think it would have come up at some point if Steward was also legally recognized as "owner" in some way. Steward does mention that he "works for the estate", which could indicate that the ferrets are "owned" (in some legal (possibly loopholey) way) by the estate itself. Don't know precisely, and it doesn't seem to be explicitly stated in the comic.

As for the wolves though, I believe Keene's idea is that they're exploiting every loophole to let the wolves do basically everything a human can do as long as they remain legally classified as "pets" which requires that, on paper, someone is the legally recognized as their owner, and that someone is Keene.

King's case is worded a bit confusingly for me, but since he's also part of the Equal Chance Program, I've always just assumed the situation is the same... Course we'll probably get a few more answers from this arc, so I'm excited :D
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

This is conjecture, but I have been running on the assumption that they don't have owners like they're human. In American history there was a time when women weren't allowed to buy land but they could own land if they inherit it from parents or husbands [1] (unintentionally making widowhood relatively profitable). I think in the Housepets! universe most humans wouldn't give their pet a job or enough autonomy to be self sufficient. The ferrets inherited their multi-billions so they don't need an owner to buy cibble for them. Some animals have been shown to break through the glass ceiling into human society like Itsuki who goes to collage and has a job and an apartment all without an owner. As for their continued use of collars, some animals like Grape feel naked without them and for others like Simon, collars have the usefulness of pockets.
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

The reason Itsuki is allowed to go to college and own an apartment is because he's on a Visa from Japan, where he is considered a citizen.
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

*hugs Jack*

No living, sentient being should be chucked in a dumpster! :(
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

[color=#800080]He Probably Flirted With Some Girls"
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

fenrirblack wrote:Please. Please. PLEASEEEEEEEE. Let us see Miles actually teach a class. I want to see those students faces.
This would be just delicious and absolutely in keeping with the subversive undercurrents that keep dragging me back to the Housepets! world.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

For a short sampler of what Moore's pedagogical style might take, enjoy the arc "Wolf's Clothing from 2015.