2018/06/27 - Dances With Humans

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Welsh Halfwit

Re: 2018/06/27 - Dances With Humans

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Saturn381 wrote:How did the Daryl even know King used to be a human?
Because he was with King in the diner at the end of the Australia arc.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Douglas Collier wrote:Other Daryl - the one who was at the diner when Pete took King’s watch.
Oh okay. I actually thought they were talking about the one with the cap. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Miles seems to be channeling Mr. Rogers. They'd love him in Junior High... On the other hand, advice from King could take folks into intriguing places … does Bailey know about this?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

NHWestoN wrote:Miles seems to be channeling Mr. Rogers. They'd love him in Junior High... On the other hand, advice from King could take folks into intriguing places … does Bailey know about this?
What would that prove? She doesn't take his advice(!)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

It's really weird but nice and deep seeing King as the voice of reason for once. He has to have been through a lot. And of course hilarious both that he has to remember to point out his species change and that Miles apparently was avoiding bringing that up to be tactful.

"There’s always therapy dog. Though, I think it’d be funny to see him failing at that due to his constant worrying. X3"
I always thought it would be funny if he, for one reason or another, became a police dog. The irony would be rich and it seemed like the strip was trying to set up something like that given how often he seems to end up hanging out with them.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

He hangs out with the K9s mainly because of Fox.

Keep in mind that the point of the ECP is that he wouldn't be limited to "dog jobs."

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

ChekeBello wrote:King is also part of the ECP, right? so shouldn't he also try to look for a job?
I just thought of something. What if King went back to work for ASPCA? That would be so cool coming full circle.

King: “No I have no relationship to a man named Joel Robinson. Why do you ask?”
Last edited by fenrirblack on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

It's not being a good moment for the wolves, as seems that only Miles and Lucretia want to do a step ahead. :| They're so much divided, indeed. You're so right, King, and it's sad know of that moment of your old life, but, everything is now going very nice with your dog life. :D Yeah King, it's good that he knows, because was going to be too much weird for a feral hear such things said by a dog. :P
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I like how he just goes off on "when I turned 18 all this human angst stuff happened" then stops like, "Oh wait, did you know I was human? I should probably ask that before I go off about it..."
NHWestoN wrote:Miles seems to be channeling Mr. Rogers. They'd love him in Junior High...
...He's a giant, talking, fluffy wolf wearing a tie... and you think THAT'S why they'd like him?
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

So does Miles have to wear a collar when he goes out on the job? While the Miltons are going for equality there are still laws on the books
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah...he's a giant, talking, fluffy WOLF ! In most school districts throughout the country, that's called CHARISMA, yer honor.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

TeflonCougar wrote:So does Miles have to wear a collar when he goes out on the job? While the Miltons are going for equality there are still laws on the books
I would hazard he would not need a collar because the pack's previous jobs only required a shirt or vest, though the Miltons are likely lenient on dress codes given their own attire and public sector employers could be more strict.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

"I don't care what your previous employer allowed, here at McDonald's we have a dress code!" :P

On the topic of collars, in some of the older strips they had those metal tags on cords for when they were out in public. (I know they were still doing the leash thing in that one too, they dropped that pretty quick but I'm mostly sure that the tags persisted for a bit longer.)

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

The tags were also see when they went to Australia (also on Karishad and the kangaroos). Since the tag is really the important part of the collar and serves as identification (which most humans also carry with them anyway), that seems like a reasonable thing to continue.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, the collar-tag does sort of say "I'm-not-feral-do-not-call-animal-control".
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

fenrirblack wrote:
Macsen wrote:King is looking very cute today. Even more so than usual.
fenrirblack wrote:Once again I ask you. How OLD is he?! seriously. not to mention he did go to college so backstory please.
Joel was 29 when he was turned into King. I don’t think his physical age as a dog has ever been known. I’ve always assumed his age was somewhere between Fox and Fido, which would make him slightly older than Peanut and Grape.
Okay. Where does it say he was 29? Is that confirmed? This has been plaguing my mind for months so it would be nice to have closure.
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Making sure he's up-to-date
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:They go back to living in the woods and it is so bad that they learn a valuable lesson about being grateful for what they have.
Lucretia won't last 24 hours without her soaps.
In all honesty I’m not expecting any of them to last 24 hours. When it’s over they’ll come trudging to the door and someone like Miles or King will tell them they were gone for only a few hours even though to them it would have felt like days.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Talking about every other character in the comic: "Wow, you're looking uncharacteristically buff today."

Talking about Miles: "Wow, you're looking uncharacteristically, uh... in need of guidance?"
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Argent

Post by Argent »

Bandit1990 wrote:On the topic of collars, in some of the older strips they had those metal tags on cords for when they were out in public.
I miss Buff Jack
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

fenrirblack wrote:
In all honesty I’m not expecting any of them to last 24 hours. When it’s over they’ll come trudging to the door and someone like Miles or King will tell them they were gone for only a few hours even though to them it would have felt like days.

Or for some reason everyone fails but Four-Finger. Somehow Jack finds a job that just seems to fit him. Like 'ferreting' out insurance fraud. "See here? This is what I'd say if I was trying to cheat you guys. And this isn't stolen, at least none of my fences, I mean contacts know about it."
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Daryl telling Miles about King's species alteration must have been interesting. The better question is how often has he been bringing it up given that humorously recurs.
Champion Wallace

I found this exchange from 2011 (after security guard wolfs wore vests),
Alex wrote:I find it funny how the Cerberus wears a collar, too. Rick, are you just lazy with drawing necks?
rickgriffin wrote:No, I just figured since Cerberus was employed she should wear a collar or something
so I think a safe bet would be teacher miles would wear a collar or something.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"So what's it like having five fingers?"
Champion Wallace

"Eh, its kinda the same really. You get a bit more dexterity and typing is easier, but it's not that different overall. What's it like having a tail? Even after the transformation I... ya know."

But seriously, my theory is this comic is like Zootopia where animals are supposed to have five fingers on each hand in world, but with the established art style they are drawn with four to avoid the Uncanny Valley of the hand looking too crowded. Ergo, King having fewer digits than Joel isn't something that would come up.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Champion Wallace wrote:But seriously, my theory is this comic is like Zootopia where animals are supposed to have five fingers on each hand in world, but with the established art style they are drawn with four to avoid the Uncanny Valley of the hand looking too crowded. Ergo, King having fewer digits than Joel isn't something that would come up.
well despite Rick initially naming a wolf character Five-Finger Discount Jack, the fact is he did change it to Four after the fans pointed out it made more sense. but if they do actually have 5 the new name doesn't make sense unless he somehow kept the 5th finger. and Rick could have explained that he just doesn't draw the 5th finger instead of changing the name.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Champion Wallace

Wow, I didn't know Jack had a name retcon like King; I guess there is always more to learn. I can't tell if this defends my theory that in Mr. Griffin's view of the HP! world animals have as many fingers as humans but he extended the artistic lens to the names as well for readers' sake, or rejects my theory because Miles later calls him "Four Finger Discount" and that Rick changed his mind and re-named Jack and changed how many fingers the characters think they have at the same time, or, unthinkable as it may be, Rick Griffin made a mistake and forgot he only draws animals with four fingers when naming Jack.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Champion Wallace wrote:Zootopia where animals are supposed to have five fingers on each hand in world
[citation required]
IronLucario2012

Post by IronLucario2012 »

Champion Wallace wrote:Wow, I didn't know Jack had a name retcon like King
Are you talking about in-universe when Pete renamed him to King, or was there some other time I missed somehow?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I think King was initially named Duke in the tags on his initial transformation. "King" came about the next strip. Also consider that "five-finger discount" is an actual term for petty theft, so Rick likely had the name in mind but initially forgot to change it for the character. Also, the humans have five fingers.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Duke was already another character, a ferret.
Champion Wallace

Argent wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Zootopia where animals are supposed to have five fingers on each hand in world
[citation required]
(spoiler bar for those who haven't seen the movie (go see it)) After Manchas escapes from the police and Nick is standing up to chief Bogo for Judy, he counts up the hours left on his fingers then holds up all ten to show they have ten hours left; it's just like every scene he is only drawn with four fingers on each hand so the audience sees him hold up eight, but the character thinks he's holding up ten.
Argent wrote:Duke was already another character, a ferret.
That's why he changed it. Can you imagine meeting two people with the same name in real life? (well there are two Daryls, but that is played for laughs).
Argent

Post by Argent »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Argent wrote:
[citation required]
(spoiler bar for those who haven't seen the movie (go see it)) After Manchas escapes from the police and Nick is standing up to chief Bogo for Judy, he counts up the hours left on his fingers then holds up all ten to show they have ten hours left; it's just like every scene he is only drawn with four fingers on each hand so the audience sees him hold up eight, but the character thinks he's holding up ten.
Yeh, I made up a meme image for that.

I don't know what their intentions were there, but I'm assuming it's just a glitch without Word Of God from the Zootopia crew.

There's a Reddit thread on it you might find interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/MovieDetails/c ... y_have_10/
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Champion Wallace wrote:Can you imagine meeting two people with the same name in real life?
The only difference between my boyfriend's name and mine is one letter that doesn't change the pronunciation.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
Champion Wallace

I would like to formally concede that animals in this universe are aware they have four fingers on each hand. Even move definitive then Jack's nickname, I came across Just Kidding again to discover Tarot gestures the number five by holding up a finger on her right hand in addition to all of her left hand.