2018/09/19 - Do It For The Team

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
fenrirblack

Re: 2018/09/19 - Do It For The Team

Post by fenrirblack »

Since were on the topic of the scar, I want to throw this out. I feel like it’s been mentioned before but I think that scar might have been a “turn off” for a potential mate which may also be part of Gale’s underlying anger. She wanted a family but let’s face it, a giant gash like is not attractive. Who knows who she finally had to settle for to have Pueblo?
CyberDragon wrote:I wanted to apologize to Rick for my lack of understanding of what is happening and why Gale is so angry. I think I understand now. She has said her reasons repeatedly and it looks like things might go deeper than what we've seen so far. For example, we still don't know how she got her scar.

I think I stayed confused for so long because, well, I can't emotionally relate to what Gale is feeling. I never wanted to start a family or have kids, so I don't understand how angry being denied that can make someone. In addition, I don't tend to get angry over offenses that were not intentional, no matter how bad they were. As such, even though Gale has said exactly why she is so angry, I could never fully understand the character's anger because I get angry over very different things.

I'm sorry again that it took me this long to understand. I am sorry if I contributed to any annoyance because of my repeated questioning of Gale's motivations.
I want apologize too for anything I may have said that caused any unpleasant feelings for Rick. We love the comic which is why we talk about like we do. If we didn’t care we wouldn’t be here now.
NHWestoN wrote:Since we're in "Rick's world", I'm never certain how reliable a guide the behavior of ferals in our natural world serves to explain the situations for his characters.
Here’s a writing tip for everyone. Fundamental Character behavior, like world-building, are developed early in the story. The author has to teach the reader how to read the story and understand the laws of the world they create. Something that repeated time and time again at school.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Since we're in "Rick's world", I'm never certain how reliable a guide the behavior of ferals in our natural world serves to explain the situations for his characters.
Here’s a writing tip for everyone. Fundamental Character behavior, like world-building, are developed early in the story.
^This.
And Rick has gone out of his way from the earliest moments of the comic to show that animals in this world behave exactly like animals in our world with the only exception being their walking bipedally (for non-ungulate mammals) and greater mental capacity including the ability to talk. It's the "greater mental capacity" part that allows Rick to weave these character moments into the story, but the natural instincts should always lean toward animal behavior in our world. Don't let it confuse ya ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Goodness. Since everyone's being so apologetic, I want to apologize for apparently lowering the intellectual level of the discussion. ;)
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Well um, don't take tomorrow's punchline too personally

And it's not just you guys, it's also me rerunning A&H Club #3 to my art galleries and getting lots of people being unnecessarily antagonistic about the ending. It's just been kinda really not my week so far.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I love how someone apparently let them into a tailgate party. You'd think people would realize letting an actual mountain lion into a party is a bad idea but eh, given what happens at a tailgate it's likely someone didn't make the best judgement.

That "SWIPE" graphic is cool.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hey, Rick, no problems. We're Just getting frisky. Looking forward to Friday's reveals... ;) ;)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's alright, Rick. I'm sure the next comic will be great. And knowing the context, even if it is a jab at the fans, will make tomorrow's punchline even funnier.

We only bug you about this stuff because we love what you've made with this comic. We get a bit obsessive and overzealous at times, but it's because this comic is that great.

You're an awesome artist, Rick! Keep it up!
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:Since were on the topic of the scar, I want to throw this out. I feel like it’s been mentioned before but I think that scar might have been a “turn off” for a potential mate which may also be part of Gale’s underlying anger. She wanted a family but let’s face it, a giant gash like is not attractive. Who knows who she finally had to settle for to have Pueblo?
A giant scar across your face isn't very attractive to a human, yes, but Gale isn't looking for a human mate. Exhibit A in favor that ferals still find Gale attractive is Poncho is completely smitten and North Star had hearts-for-eyes when getting headlocked. You could dismiss that evidence by saying "that's how young adults be sometimes" and a cougar Gale's age wouldn't react like that, but we still don't know what social standards exist among mountain lions. Maybe a potential male is looking for someone battle-scared because it would indicate she is a fighter and would stand up to any threats to their future offspring instead of running away. Besides, if pairs split after mating like in real life, as evident by Gale's mate not yet being seen, then it's not like "waking up next to a beautiful wife every day" is going to be very high on a male's list.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Since were on the topic of the scar, I want to throw this out. I feel like it’s been mentioned before but I think that scar might have been a “turn off” for a potential mate which may also be part of Gale’s underlying anger. She wanted a family but let’s face it, a giant gash like is not attractive. Who knows who she finally had to settle for to have Pueblo?
A giant scar across your face isn't very attractive to a human, yes, but Gale isn't looking for a human mate. Exhibit A in favor that ferals still find Gale attractive is Poncho is completely smitten and North Star had hearts-for-eyes when getting headlocked. You could dismiss that evidence by saying "that's how young adults be sometimes" and a cougar Gale's age wouldn't react like that, but we still don't know what social standards exist among mountain lions. Maybe a potential male is looking for someone battle-scared because it would indicate she is a fighter and would stand up to any threats to their future offspring instead of running away. Besides, if pairs split after mating like in real life, as evident by Gale's mate not yet being seen, then it's not like "waking up next to a beautiful wife every day" is going to be very high on a male's list.
True but you have to remember Poncho has history with Gale and his feelings are deeper than just appearance as evidence by the fact that he loves her even though she is the natural enemy of wolves and and North Star is hormonal. Even if a potential mate doesn't care about appearances though I'm sure Gale probably cares some about vanity. I'm sure she's still not thrilled by the idea that she has a giant scar on her face turn off or no. Plus we've seen plenty of animals in this world who are attracted by looks. If I had to guess I would assume that the feral world works a lot like the human world in that battle scars are attractive on males but not females. Although according cougar biology and mating behavior, looks would not matter as males tend to mate with multiple females and with whoever is nearby. So I think it is more personal and more to do with vanity.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.