2018/10/05 - Employment Opportunities

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/10/05 - Employment Opportunities

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/10/05 - Employment Opportunities]
Title Text: "talk to my supervisor? Okay but he's currently cowering in the closet"

Frankly, main thing I can say is that I'm impressed with the health code thing.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2018/10/05 - Employment Opportunities

Post by Saturn381 »

These jobs fit them so perfectly. Though I do wonder what Daryl's job is.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

Uh :?:?"
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Okay Rick... I’m predicting you may have to tell us what muscle Daryl is doing in the last panel. Also, to everyone else, it seem weird seeing some of the wolves wearing clothes now? Not bad, just I find it odd
Last edited by Gameb18oy on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Nice to see how Daryls could work their fur problem in the restaurant industry
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Are... those handguns in front of Jack?

Whew, US pawn shops are a lot wilder than the sort we got over here
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

A hair-net-suit would certainly be one way for someone with fur to handle food. Just shaving would probably work too.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Liam wrote:Are... those handguns in front of Jack?

Whew, US pawn shops are a lot wilder than the sort we got over here
Pretty common for US pawn shops to have. While I'd never own one myself, I do like browsing the different models. There should be a lot of regulations on actually purchasing, though.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I used to work in a call centre and I've had that call Natalie's had. He was insistant that he always got through to India and he was really rude about it. "No, sir," I insisted, "you were not just speaking to an Indian Call Centre. You called Wales." I know I'm calling Wales NOW but I just hung up when I got through to (Rude Word) India! "I can assure you that you didn't get through to India, sir." How would you know? Are you tracking my (RW) calls? "No, sir. But I AM sat right next to the agent you spoke to three minutes back."

Not a pleasant guy.

Natalie’s the darling of the phone,
taking no guff from anyone rude;
showing that, just like them,
she can be creatively crude.
Jack’s a star at taking stuff,
now legitimately, of course;
now buying and selling real things
that didn’t just ‘fall off the Horse’.
The Daryls have found work too,
cluttering up the kitchen in style;
one cooking and one posing;
they’ll both do well for a while.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It took me a minute to figure out what was going on in that last panel.
I have to say, good for humanity to be so strangely welcoming and hospitable to the wolves especially the Daryl’s. I mean the first time Miles meets a human it was “AAAAH! A Wolf!” Not to mention their trip to the zoo. Now they’re working! I’m so proud of them and humanity.
Although I have some questions. Call center? For what? And I have to ask what is going on in Daryl’s head? More importantly WHY are they always together? Seriously they’re more joined at the hips then the cubs. Other Daryl makes since, that’s his calling but Daryl just seems strange.
Now we’ve seen them there is still Lucretia, Poncho, and Elaine. Again I was all for another week but this wasn’t what I meant.
I think we also need to address the elephant in the room. What about King? I can totally see him laying on the couch and Miles comes up and is like “You know King since you are also part of the ECP, this household, and an honorary wolf maybe you should think about getting a job.” King just kinda looks at him and says “Yeah, I did the whole “work” before and you know what happened? I got arrested, turned into a dog, held prisoner for seven months, and moved in with you guys. If I wanted a “job” I would have taken the other option Kitsune offered me and been set for life. Sooo not happening. I chose to stay a dog so I wouldn’t have to work. Oh and I love Bailey.”
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:It took me a minute to figure out what was going on in that last panel.
I have to say, good for humanity to be so strangely welcoming and hospitable to the wolves especially the Daryl’s. I mean the first time Miles meets a human it was “AAAAH! A Wolf!” Not to mention their trip to the zoo. Now they’re working! I’m so proud of them and humanity.
Although I have some questions. Call center? For what? And I have to ask what is going on in Daryl’s head? More importantly WHY are they always together? Seriously they’re more joined at the hips then the cubs. Other Daryl makes since, that’s his calling but Daryl just seems strange.
Now we’ve seen them there is still Lucretia, Poncho, and Elaine. Again I was all for another week but this wasn’t what I meant.
I think we also need to address the elephant in the room. What about King? I can totally see him laying on the couch and Miles comes up and is like “You know King since you are also part of the ECP, this family, and an honorary wolf maybe you should think about getting a job.” King just kinda looks at him and says “Yeah, I did the whole “work” before and you know what happened? I got arrested, turned into a dog, held prisoner for seven months, and moved in with you guys. If I wanted a “job” I would have taken the other option Kitsune offered me and been set for life. Sooo not happening. I chose to stay a dog so I wouldn’t have to work. Oh and I love Bailey.”
I feel like Lucretia might have mentioned what job she was going for right after Miles mentioned he was working towards becoming a substitute teacher, but can’t remember so don’t quote me on that. Though you’re doing King a real disservice. You remember the shovel joke? That was in an arc where he joined a dog show just to make a little more cash for buying a phone so he could talk to Bailey. That + how much he cares about the well being of his pup’s tells me he’s not against work.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:I feel like Lucretia might have mentioned what job she was going for right after Miles mentioned he was working towards becoming a substitute teacher, but can’t remember so don’t quote me on that. Though you’re doing King a real disservice. You remember the shovel joke? That was in an arc where he joined a dog show just to make a little more cash for buying a phone so he could talk to Bailey. That + how much he cares about the well being of his pup’s tells me he’s not against work.
Yeah but getting a real job is different though. I mean remember what he said about "struggling to find his place in the world." He was desperate for money when he did the dog show. Plus it's different for him. He has baggage that might interfere in any kind of work he gets. Plus what is he qualified for? We don't even know if he ever finished college or not. Honestly, he seems pretty well off. The only way he would get a job is if someone forced him too. He is not the kind of guy (I don't think) who is going to wake up one day and say "Bailey, I think I might get on Indeed.com and look for steady employment."

Fun fact about the "shovel joke" Salem from "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" made the same joke during the first Christmas episode. "What would MacGyver do?" Salem at least made a net but King's was much funnier.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:I feel like Lucretia might have mentioned what job she was going for right after Miles mentioned he was working towards becoming a substitute teacher, but can’t remember so don’t quote me on that. Though you’re doing King a real disservice. You remember the shovel joke? That was in an arc where he joined a dog show just to make a little more cash for buying a phone so he could talk to Bailey. That + how much he cares about the well being of his pup’s tells me he’s not against work.
Yeah but getting a real job is different though. I mean remember what he said about "struggling to find his place in the world." He was desperate for money when he did the dog show. Plus it's different for him. He has baggage that might interfere in any kind of work he gets. Plus what is he qualified for? We don't even know if he ever finished college or not. Honestly, he seems pretty well off. The only way he would get a job is if someone forced him too. He is not the kind of guy (I don't think) who is going to wake up one day and say "Bailey, I think I might get on Indeed.com and look for steady employment."
Actually? It may be fairly easy for him.

It's not always what you know but who. And King knows some billionaires who have controlling interests in lots of companies. Influence opens a lot of doors.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:I have to say, good for humanity to be so strangely welcoming and hospitable to the wolves especially the Daryl’s. I mean the first time Miles meets a human it was “AAAAH! A Wolf!” Not to mention their trip to the zoo. Now they’re working! I’m so proud of them and humanity.
It is good progress, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ECP was still working to smooth over some of the rough patches in the background. It's phase 2, but they are still in the program.

As for King, I can see it going either way.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Actually? It may be fairly easy for him.

It's not always what you know but who. And King knows some billionaires who have controlling interests in lots of companies. Influence opens a lot of doors.
He would still need to either want to work or have to do it like if Lana or Miles made him. Honestly I would love to see him get back in the working world because the storylines are virtually endless but at the same type I would understand perfectly if he decided to freeload off the wolves, Bill, and the Miltons for the rest of his life. He's spent the last nine years sitting on his tail all day. I don't see him giving that up easily. Because remember again his last job...Remember how it began. Remember ASPCA. I'm sure he was fired or arrested then too.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Please tell me the place Daryl is working had full body hairnets before the wolfs applied (also consider the chefs had needs special holes for Other Daryl's ears to go though). That shouldn't feel that exotic to Daryl, scads of ladies wearing nothing at all describes every party the've ever had. Is Miles' use of quotation marks around "lost" because the license was revoked after Jack did something illegal and that's $400 down the drain or did Jack never get a license back in Jack of One Trade? I don't think Natalie will get a very high customer satisfaction rating with an attitude like that. It is a nice touch though, that the file isn't perpendicular to her nail because she's sharpening her claw.
fenrirblack wrote:It took me a minute to figure out what was going on in that last panel.
There isn't anything like Innocent Bystanders in the tags so the off-panel voice would have to be Miles or one of the other characters elsewhere in this strip. As for getting the jobs from human employers, I'm sure Lana and Mr. Washington vouched for the wolfs to the employers.
Gameb18oy wrote:Though you’re doing King a real disservice. You remember the shovel joke? That was in an arc where he joined a dog show just to make a little more cash for buying a phone so he could talk to Bailey. That + how much he cares about the well being of his pup’s tells me he’s not against work.
Yes, King needed the money then for a cell phone, but now he's kinda set. What do you buy the dog who already has everything, which is food?
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
There isn't anything like Innocent Bystanders in the tags so the off-panel voice would have to be Miles or one of the other characters elsewhere in this strip. As for getting the jobs from human employers, I'm sure Lana and Mr. Washington vouched for the wolfs to the employers.
True but that kind kills any hope for humanity if you put it that way.
Champion Wallace wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:Though you’re doing King a real disservice. You remember the shovel joke? That was in an arc where he joined a dog show just to make a little more cash for buying a phone so he could talk to Bailey. That + how much he cares about the well being of his pup’s tells me he’s not against work.
Yes, King needed the money then for a cell phone, but now he's kinda set. What do you buy the dog who already has everything, which is food?
If that money train stops coming then they're all in trouble. It happened to the wolves. There may be a day when that the wallet snaps tighter then *insert metaphor here* I don't know it's Rick's call. Honestly it seems like a lot of work just to come up with the plot line for King's employment. It would be awesome to see him interact with humans again and maybe reveal some juicy details about his life as well as see what happens if people found out who he really is but I don't see that happening anytime soon if ever.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

[quote=“fenrirblack”]He would still need to either want to work or have to do it like if Lana or Miles made him. Honestly I would love to see him get back in the working world because the storylines are virtually endless but at the same type I would understand perfectly if he decided to freeload off the wolves, Bill, and the Miltons for the rest of his life. He's spent the last nine years sitting on his tail all day. I don't see him giving that up easily. Because remember again his last job...Remember how it began. Remember ASPCA. I'm sure he was fired or arrested then too.[/quote]

Can we just stop to admire how well the badmouthing of PETA aged? I mean, do a little research and you’ll find out PETA is a little too eager to put down animals it seems like, and that’s on top of them seeming pretty uninformed on a lot of general stuff on animals.

And ultimately, I don’t know, King has never been without his faults, but even back when he was Joel, I never got the impression of a lazy guy with him.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

So out of all the wolves, Daryl has the happiest ending? :lol:
I just notices what was written on Natalie's coffee mug, I wonder if you could buy it in real life. I know some people, who might like it. :mrgreen:
Gameb18oy wrote:Also, to everyone else, it seem weird seeing some of the wolves wearing clothes now? Not bad, just I find it odd
Not really to me, the wolves do all of this to fit with the human society, so them wearing clothes makes sense. I could imagine in their freetime, they stay naked.
Last edited by HundKatzeMaus on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Champion Wallace wrote:Please tell me the place Daryl is working had full body hairnets before the wolfs applied (also consider the chefs had needs special holes for Other Daryl's ears to go though).
Probably not. The wolves out having jobs like this is implied to be something new, but the existing presence of full body hairnets would imply there are enough furred creatures working in the food industry that there would be a health and safety product specifically for them, which doesn't seem likely. I find it far more probable that those suits were custom made just for the wolves, probably by the ECP, specifically so that they can get this job while still meeting health codes.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

No danger of robotic replacement here .......
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Rick, you dressed Jack like Reggie from TellTale's Walking Dead game, and that raises implications I don't want to think about. Also don't think nobody noticed how tight you made Daryl's body net. I certainly noticed.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

I don’t think working animals is really that unusual since animal rights are not the same around the world, we know thanks to Itsuki that animals can be citizens in other countries and if they enter legally to the main setting’s country(US I think) they are still treated as citizens, Itsuki is an student, employee and tenant, so as long as there are more animal immigrants seeing some working mustn’t be that hard.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Oh, joy ~ Natalie is joining the call center life with me. Also: that 'India' comment hits too close to home. x3

Lilke the hair nets over the whole body idea on the daryls. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

That's great, better jobs for them. :D Well, the call center isn't really a great job, but if Natalie can vent herself, then it's at least fine. :P Nice cup. ;) Good for Jack, let's see if he'll be used to be legitimate. :) Yeah, that sign shouldn't work also for police. :P Eheh, I wonder why the fat Daryl loves to be a chef... :D Hopefully, he can still eat something there. ;) Oh, you silly Daryl. :P
There are Miles and Gale tags despite they aren't visible in the comic. I guess they're for the yellow and peach color boxes.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’m curious about something. That thing with the sign saying “not my problem” is that like a door or part of the wall? Also I feel like we should appreciate the fact she was filing her claws when she threatened that caller.
Gameb18oy wrote:And ultimately, I don’t know, King has never been without his faults, but even back when he was Joel, I never got the impression of a lazy guy with him.
I wouldn’t call him lazy more like content. He’s in his little bubble that he had to fight for. I’m thinking there is a lot to consider. Nine years of unemployment is hard to overcome. Even if he has matured some there is a strong possibility he might fall into his old behavior patterns. Plus again his last few jobs didn’t end well so that might be a huge deterrent for him. All I’m really saying is I don’t expect him to get a job without some external force making him. He not going to see the wolves working and act like “I want some of that.”
leinglo wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Please tell me the place Daryl is working had full body hairnets before the wolfs applied (also consider the chefs had needs special holes for Other Daryl's ears to go though).
Probably not. The wolves out having jobs like this is implied to be something new, but the existing presence of full body hairnets would imply there are enough furred creatures working in the food industry that there would be a health and safety product specifically for them, which doesn't seem likely. I find it far more probable that those suits were custom made just for the wolves, probably by the ECP, specifically so that they can get this job while still meeting health codes.
I feel like Other Daryl’s comment proves that the health codes/food industry was not prepared. “See I told you we could meet the health code.” Implies that they had to find a work around that was not previously in existence. Plus the was something Karishad said back during the fair “Having fur is a health hazard.” To me that says that until now animals were definitely not allowed to work with food. Looking at it now is Other Daryl talking to Daryl or the third person in the room?
And Does anyone think it’s strange that both Daryl’s were hired as chefs even though they’ve never been to culinary school, worked in a restaurant before, or cooked...ever?
Yamitora1

Post by Yamitora1 »

did he mean erotic?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I question a group that constantly is in the nude really considers that word
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yamitora1 wrote:did he mean erotic?
Nah

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Natalie's situation intrigues me.

While they do have jobs, the final goal of human/animal equality still has not been reached. So, she may not have the rights of a human she also doesn't have the social responsibilities of human society either. If a human says "I know where you live," that is considered a threat in that situation. A human could be reported to the police for it. No more than a warning could be issued at that point. A wolf, however, especially a feral, isn't bound by those rules so her threat isn't illegal as long as she isn't equal.

Kind of interesting.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

TeflonCougar wrote:Natalie's situation intrigues me.

While they do have jobs, the final goal of human/animal equality still has not been reached. So, she may not have the rights of a human she also doesn't have the social responsibilities of human society either. If a human says "I know where you live," that is considered a threat in that situation. A human could be reported to the police for it. No more than a warning could be issued at that point. A wolf, however, especially a feral, isn't bound by those rules so her threat isn't illegal as long as she isn't equal.

Kind of interesting.
True that it isn't technically "illegal" as far as the judicial system is concerned but she is bound by her own set of rules. She’s basically the equivalent of a forgiener in another country. If she is reported she could be,well, deported back to the wild and her status that she achieved by taking the “GOE” could be evoked. There is no stopping animal control from picking her up if she is seen as a danger to those around her. Since she not a “citizen” there is no law that can save her.

You know what intrigues me, not just Natalie, but moments like that. Why do the humans put up with that. I mean I know its a joke but the "supervisor hiding in the closet" really. If Natalie or anyone said that to me, OH SNAP it would be on because you do not speak that way to me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

TeflonCougar wrote:Natalie's situation intrigues me.

Kind of interesting.
I'm pretty sure she is going to lose that job if she keeps doing it, but i'm certain it's just a throwaway gag.

Unless she plans on job hopping.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote: I mean I know its a joke but the "supervisor hiding in the closet" really. If Natalie or anyone said that to me, OH SNAP it would be on because you do not speak that way to me.
I'm pretty sure the joke is that the supervisor is hiding because they're scared of Natalie, so I don't see how that would be cause for offence
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We've seen that people were terrified of Miles, probably one of the nicest guys out there. Now there's a different wolf that isn't anywhere near as amicable in your building, so people are even less likely to get close.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

How do situations like this work in work office sitcoms? I feel like HR will become involved at some point. You know HR is more threatening than any wild beast.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

fenrirblack wrote:How do situations like this work in work office sitcoms?.
Use every possible method to avoid the person in question. Hijinks ensue. ;)