2018/10/08 - Talking To The Camera

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: 2018/10/08 - Talking To The Camera

Post by Gameb18oy »

... I weirdly also would be on board with this. Might be therapeutic (or is the word cathartic?) for Rick and I'm sure even with the intent to offend he'd make it entertaining
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Dissension wrote:Oh, man, I love it. Please, please, Rick, make Hatepets! a thing
Too mean.

Meanpets.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

GameCobra wrote:
Dissension wrote:Oh, man, I love it. Please, please, Rick, make Hatepets! a thing
Too mean.

Meanpets.
Playing tricks on representatives of posters who annoy him? Sounds therapeutic and I hope never to see a poet(!)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Playing tricks on representatives of posters who annoy him? Sounds therapeutic and I hope never to see a poet(!)
He's a poet and he knows it.
Blasphemy for those that call it.
Whether it rhymes
ahead of his times
This poster knows he's done it.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And then people would realize who these "representatives" really are and opens a massive can of worms we'd rather not deal with.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

D-Rock wrote:And then people would realize who these "representatives" really are and opens a massive can of worms we'd rather not deal with.
Halloween is coming...
they want their squirrel back.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hatepets! Oh, yeah, right … it's been a while since we've seen Bino and Duchess, hasn't it?
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

rickgriffin wrote:No, the real reason is that I'm terrified of disappointing people.
I don't get it.
So, given that, how am I supposed to feel when I see a particular commenter come in day after day with very little to say about the thing I intended them to feel?
Are you even supposed to have feelings about something like that, though? I would have just pegged it to 'person usually has nothing important to say' and not cared.
But what am I supposed to do THEN, even when I see such comments and subsequently do my best to address concerns, only to have it blow over their heads like there's nothing to notice? Or that the effort I put is in fine but now there's all these other things to complain about?
Nothing. As long as it's there to be seen by people more intelligent than them, it shouldn't matter what else they want to say about it.
The only thing I can possibly conclude, in attempting to receive criticism graciously, is that I absolutely cannot do anything right no matter what I try. And it's really hard to sit down in front of a blank screen and figure out what to do next when the feeling is that failure is inevitable.
Well, you certainly won't succeed if your goal is to appease everyone. That simply isn't a thing that can happen.
[...] or that they pointed out an art mistake by saying "did you change the style again" as though that DOESN'T obviously sound like a passive-aggressively smug way of saying "you suck and I noticed".
Does this happen a lot? I'd expect it to be more of a troll thing than an actual criticism.
The only real solution is to remove myself from the comments entirely, at which point I get NO feedback, I get to feel like I'm not making this for anyone who appreciates it, and I get the additional anxiety all the time wondering if I'm actually making something that anyone really appreciates.
So, not actually a solution, either. I'd like to offer an alternative here, but my methods don't often pair well with having feelings.
fenrirblack wrote:That’s the difference between an argument and a discussion. One only devolves into bickering while the other takes the time for all parties to come to an understanding.
We have very disparate ideas of what an argument is.
Argent wrote:Hey, Rick, people don't argue about things they don't care about.
This is how I can tell I'm not normal.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Fish Preferred wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:No, the real reason is that I'm terrified of disappointing people.
I don't get it.
So, given that, how am I supposed to feel when I see a particular commenter come in day after day with very little to say about the thing I intended them to feel?
Are you even supposed to have feelings about something like that, though? I would have just pegged it to 'person usually has nothing important to say' and not cared.
But what am I supposed to do THEN, even when I see such comments and subsequently do my best to address concerns, only to have it blow over their heads like there's nothing to notice? Or that the effort I put is in fine but now there's all these other things to complain about?
Nothing. As long as it's there to be seen by people more intelligent than them, it shouldn't matter what else they want to say about it.
The only thing I can possibly conclude, in attempting to receive criticism graciously, is that I absolutely cannot do anything right no matter what I try. And it's really hard to sit down in front of a blank screen and figure out what to do next when the feeling is that failure is inevitable.
Well, you certainly won't succeed if your goal is to appease everyone. That simply isn't a thing that can happen.
[...] or that they pointed out an art mistake by saying "did you change the style again" as though that DOESN'T obviously sound like a passive-aggressively smug way of saying "you suck and I noticed".
Does this happen a lot? I'd expect it to be more of a troll thing than an actual criticism.
The only real solution is to remove myself from the comments entirely, at which point I get NO feedback, I get to feel like I'm not making this for anyone who appreciates it, and I get the additional anxiety all the time wondering if I'm actually making something that anyone really appreciates.
So, not actually a solution, either. I'd like to offer an alternative here, but my methods don't often pair well with having feelings.
fenrirblack wrote:That’s the difference between an argument and a discussion. One only devolves into bickering while the other takes the time for all parties to come to an understanding.
We have very disparate ideas of what an argument is.
Argent wrote:Hey, Rick, people don't argue about things they don't care about.
This is how I can tell I'm not normal.
Not to sound like I don't understand your points Fish, but why are you replying to all this stuff like this? It doesn't make you look like you want your criticism to lead to people changing due to it, it seems like criticism just for the sake of criticizing.
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

I'd subscribe to Lucretia's channel anytime!! :)

EDIT : I've just read Rick's post... :(
I've said it before and I'll say it again: criticism is easy, but the art is not.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...well said. again.
Argent

Post by Argent »

I thought it was "dying is easy, comedy is hard".
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
kuisbright

Post by kuisbright »

I just want to add that DeeVee is so cute in this comic, more so than usual <3

Thanks for the great work, Rick
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

Gameb18oy wrote:Not to sound like I don't understand your points Fish, but why are you replying to all this stuff like this? It doesn't make you look like you want your criticism to lead to people changing due to it, it seems like criticism just for the sake of criticizing.
Like what, exactly? In fact, what did I even criticise there, aside from an unreachably lofty goal that I'm not even sure anyone has?
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yes, you are in fact criticizing a goal that Rick is not trying to achieve. Since that seems to be your main point, people are making the assumption that you are misunderstanding Rick's point and are trying to help you understand. If you approached Rick's points more like he was taking a sensible middle stance, people might actually engage with your points better
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

Obbl wrote:Yes, you are in fact criticizing a goal that Rick is not trying to achieve. Since that seems to be your main point, people are making the assumption that you are misunderstanding Rick's point and are trying to help you understand. If you approached Rick's points more like he was taking a sensible middle stance, people might actually engage with your points better
But, see; I'm not here to challenge his points. I'm trying to see if there is a solution to the social anxeity he described.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

For most people, social anxieties just take years and years of living with them and getting adjusted to how they influence you, sometimes combined with a little help from professionals. Mostly there's no sudden epiphany, just slow progress. And often if someone is talking candidly about their anxieties, any insights you think you might have are already well understood by that person and they hear your same insights from several individuals every single time they bring it up. So the best response is usually just to sympathize/empathize and trust that they are doing the best they can