2018/11/05 - Heavenly Delights

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/11/05 - Heavenly Delights

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/11/05 - Heavenly Delights]
Title Text: this is exactly what it's like when you develop a dairy allergen as an adult

This may be one of the few times where "practice makes perfect" is literally an impossible saying.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2018/11/05 - Heavenly Delights

Post by Gbr23 »

I trust that one day you'll get there Breel. I trust that day will come. In the meantime, maybe you should look for other take-out options... healthier maybe
Last edited by Gbr23 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Wow, we’ve not had a series of one-offs in a row following the same two characters since those squirrels. Why isn’t this just a chapter?
Yes, it’s still listed under the one-off section.

Anyway, um, I don’t know. I got nothing other than the fact neither one can cook. I give them another month before they move back into the manor. Honestly, the house will probably be destroyed sooner or later.

What is up with that candle stick holder? That thing is super creepy looking. You would think Keene could afford better taste.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

The experience wasn't worth it I guess. :lol:
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

“MSG isn’t potent enough!”
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It’s a period of adjustment
to memory, sight and scent.
It really is hard to forget
when you’re Heaven sent.
Taste and textures change
when everything’s not perfect.
Sometimes you’ll work so hard
on what you’ll then reject.
Don’t give up, good Breel,
the best is still to be seen.
Your love can save a soul;
if you just keep him keen.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Aw, at least Breel's trying. Although he might want stick with a basic cookbook for starters. Maybe try getting creative with canned foods and instant stuff. :lol: Gotta learn to walk before you can run, and all that.
Ruska

Post by Ruska »

It seems going to heaven is like having a veil removed that you didn’t realize was there. You can see everything for what it truely is and can be. A mortal mind just can’t comprehend the full scope of it, and when Breel returned to mortality, he could see the veil covering his eyes, but couldn’t really understand the fullness of it.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Keene and King also ate in Heaven (and possible Fox off-screen, but he had other priorities, namely pink and green priorities) so they might remember Heaven food too. Unless Breel prepared food for himself instead going to restaurants all the time, I would not expect any success in this endeavor. I would imagine reverse engineering recipes would be hard, heavenly or otherwise (unless it's simple like cotton candy or buttered corn on a stick).
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I wonder if King had this problem. He was there for six months and unlike Fox remembered all of it. I can him see laying in bed at night thinking about that ice cream sundae he had. It haunts his dreams. I felt like his trip to heaven should have affected him more, thinking about it now. I mean he suffered for so much of his life and found paradise only to again ruin it by being, well, himself. Keene was only there for about a day and it really messed him up. He broke down in his mother’s arms. King, I would hope told his mother off and gave her a piece of his mind but knowing that family they probably just went their separate ways without saying much more than what was shown.
Champion Wallace wrote:Keene and King also ate in Heaven (and possible Fox off-screen, but he had other priorities, namely pink and green priorities) so they might remember Heaven food too. Unless Breel prepared food for himself instead going to restaurants all the time, I would not expect any success in this endeavor. I would imagine reverse engineering recipes would be hard, heavenly or otherwise (unless it's simple like cotton candy or buttered corn on a stick).
Omg, another mention of corn! What could it mean?! :shock:

I never realized that’s an Okapi in that scene.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Champion Wallace wrote:Unless Breel prepared food for himself instead going to restaurants all the time, I would not expect any success in this endeavor. I would imagine reverse engineering recipes would be hard, heavenly or otherwise (unless it's simple like cotton candy or buttered corn on a stick).
And heavenly foods may not even have recipes to begin with, or, if they do, they almost certainly can't be replicated with any ingredients or cooking methods from the mortal realm.
mr_abomination

Post by mr_abomination »

fenrirblack wrote:I wonder if King had this problem. He was there for six months and unlike Fox remembered all of it. I can him see laying in bed at night thinking about that ice cream sundae he had. It haunts his dreams. I felt like his trip to heaven should have affected him more, thinking about it now. I mean he suffered for so much of his life and found paradise only to again ruin it by being, well, himself. Keene was only there for about a day and it really messed him up. He broke down in his mother’s arms. King, I would hope told his mother off and gave her a piece of his mind but knowing that family they probably just went their separate ways without saying much more than what was shown.
That would be a great one-off, or maybe even short story. King just getting all sad and reminiscent about heaven, before being brought back to reality by a loving moment with Bailey or the pups.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gosh, he's become clairvoyant.
Riff

Post by Riff »

Food preparation is all about planning ahead. Breel's got that part down. :3
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I think I'm gonna keep that second panel stashed in my computer for future use...
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Argent

Post by Argent »

If Sabrina still has that elevator, they can buy some ambrosia or locust-fruit or whatever in one of the other planes.
fenrirblack wrote:I never realized that’s an Okapi in that scene.
Particularly curious since ungulates are quadrupedal on Earth.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I don’t trust this arc! As much as I would enjoy it just be a lot of cute panels of breel and Keene’s relationship, I’m expecting either demon to show up or the realm of hell to suddenly reach into the mortal plane again

Edit: So just noticed from reading comments that this is a one off... still don’t trust it since when have the one offs been connected like this, but I’m happy just to see what these two are up to
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ah, domestic bliss ... you gotta admire their resourceful optimism. On the other hand, if they're going for the "no-longer-wealthy" experience, well, you don't throw away food, guys.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Argent wrote:If Sabrina still has that elevator, they can buy some ambrosia or locust-fruit or whatever in one of the other planes.
People can change form in Heaven. Maybe said okapi wanted to feel like being bipedal. Or maybe it's from a world where that's the norm? Maybe Heaven is open to all worlds.
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

So what is it that governs whether or not you lose your memory of Heaven when you go back to the living world?

King seems to remember it all.
Keene definitely remembered at least Breel, but probably also his mom and dad, amongst other things.
Fox remembered literaly nothing.
And Breel, who has been in heaven for the longest out of all of them-- only remembers traces of it.

This is a strange system.

On a different note I absolutely love the expressions Breel has on the top two panels! I feel like the expressions have been getting better as of lately in general. I love these dramatic close-ups.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The sucky part of leaving heaven :3

I find it amusing this is the second time we seen someone not human trying to cook something. I think Rex is the only successful pet to do this.

EDIT: Also, this is the humor I would love to see with the sandwiches more. x3
Last edited by GameCobra on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

If I had to guess, I'd say this is another Mini-Arc to tide us over until the next big one, which I hope is Holiday Themed... (We haven't had one of those in a long while)
Aimless

Post by Aimless »

Now, forgive me for asking such an old fashioned question, but Breel and Keene (or whatever their names are) are both male, correct? If so, it's nice to see non-heterosexual relationships treated so normally in media. If not, well, there's a whole lot of egg on my face right now, isint there?
Am I doing this right? Please tell me how terrible I am at posting by calling 1800-fakephone or leaving a private message that I can't read.Thanks!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Straightforward answer, yes, they're a gay couple.
Aimless

Post by Aimless »

Ah, thanks! Breel has sort of a feminine body, so I wanted to make sure.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got dialogue to reimagine in a masculine voice...
Last edited by Aimless on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am I doing this right? Please tell me how terrible I am at posting by calling 1800-fakephone or leaving a private message that I can't read.Thanks!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say this is another Mini-Arc to tide us over until the next big one, which I hope is Holiday Themed... (We haven't had one of those in a long while)
I’m desperately hoping for a Thanksgiving arc where we follow up on Gale, the wolves, and King. I need to know how Kings job hunt is going. That last scene with King, that was the face of someone thinking, “Well, time to leave civilization and move into the woods.” ;)
Plus the holidays bring out the crazy in everyone so that could be fun. :D
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

While i'm glad to see people excited to see King, Breel and get some background on the wolves and Gale, I think we seriously need to get more spotlight on characters like Max and Bino eventually. They are two of the oldest characters in the comic and we still don't know much about them. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Well, Rick did say on more than one occasion that he was going to show how Max and Rufus’s relationship occurred.
In my opinion, the chapters focusing on Bino are some of the worse. Wolf’s Cloathing was alright in some places. The problem with Bino, in my mind, is that he’s the “unlikable one”. He was purposefully designed to be disliked so to offer contrast to the other characters and make them look more appealing. He’s a tool. If nothing else he’s an antagonist and while it is important to develop the antagonist in stories as well as understand how they came to be who they are, Bino is so much a static character that developing him would take time away from more important characters or at least the more appealing ones. He is the mean girl in every high school drama who you cheer for their downfall. (I know there is a more eloquent way of putting this but I can’t think of one. Writing degree is so paying off :?)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, Cobra, I'm ready to see some of the old crowd take center stage again. Besides the Rufus-Max and other themes left to follow, there are plenty of older "presents" under Rick's storytelling "tree".
Hey, Aimless! Welcome to the forums. Go vote and then take a day off going through the Archives. You're gonna have a terrific time playing catch-up! Really … ;)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Well, Rick did say on more than one occasion that he was going to show how Max and Rufus’s relationship occurred.
In my opinion, the chapters focusing on Bino are some of the worse. Wolf’s Cloathing was alright in some places. The problem with Bino, in my mind, is that he’s the “unlikable one”. He was purposefully designed to be disliked so to offer contrast to the other characters and make them look more appealing. He’s a tool. If nothing else he’s an antagonist and while it is important to develop the antagonist in stories as well as understand how they came to be who they are, Bino is so much a static character that developing him would take time away from more important characters or at least the more appealing ones. He is the mean girl in every high school drama who you cheer for their downfall. (I know there is a more eloquent way of putting this but I can’t think of one. Writing degree is so paying off :?)
It’s a little sad as looking back to the black and white days of the comic, Bino was always meant to be a jerk, but not an unsympathetic one surprisingly. I mean the arc that introduced Fido seemed to mostly paint him as mostly justified as being a bit resentful of his brother’s popularity at the time with other dogs. Not saying I don’t want to see some developments for both characters though, be nice if Rick ever chose to remind us they have the same owner if I’m being honest. Sometimes I worry I misinterpreted one of the comics when I think back on that. Also, wouldn’t mind an arc on the developed but underutilized characters, like Squeak and Spo for example. Feel Rick occasionally has teased the possibility of them having a proper arc, so I don’t know why we don’t ever focus on the mice in the comic.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I always thought that Bino being a bit of a snothead came about with his girlfriend quite clearly wanting his older brother.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Argent wrote:
Agreed on both accounts. Didn't notice the okapi until now and didn't notice it is probably from another dimension until Argent mentioned the ungulate thing.
Gameb18oy wrote: It’s a little sad as looking back to the black and white days of the comic, Bino was always meant to be a jerk, but not an unsympathetic one surprisingly. I mean the arc that introduced Fido seemed to mostly paint him as mostly justified as being a bit resentful of his brother’s popularity at the time with other dogs. Not saying I don’t want to see some developments for both characters though, be nice if Rick ever chose to remind us they have the same owner if I’m being honest. Sometimes I worry I misinterpreted one of the comics when I think back on that. Also, wouldn’t mind an arc on the developed but underutilized characters, like Squeak and Spo for example. Feel Rick occasionally has teased the possibility of them having a proper arc, so I don’t know why we don’t ever focus on the mice in the comic.
1) Bino shares an owner with Max, actually. They both have big ego. I blame their father.... but yeah, it would be nice to see Bino learning to be a better version of himself.

2)There was a short story arc (and a one-off comic, later on!!!1) focusing on Squeak and Spo. I think the next time they appear, they will show signs of senility (mice don't live very long, and it's already been 10 years).
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was the one that pointed out that Bino and Max's owner could be kind of cold and perceived to be abusive. But with pets like them, I probably also would reach the end of my tether rather quickly. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I've opined on character evolutions before so I won't stage another extended repetition and bore everyone to catatonic stupor. Some characters grow, as we've seen. Others, like Bino, remain relatively unchanged but manage to find new ways to be themselves. Bino's a jerk (like Pete or Tiger) but he does develop and even occasionally evokes some sympathy. In many ways, Maxwell is a jerk, too, but we know he has emotional depths as he showed in Gallifax. Others develop in crowd scenes like Dallas in the last Temple arc but then recede into the background or, like Spo, they're too tied to another character (Fido) to stray far from that orbit.
A few have must never quite found a niche (Rex, Yeltsin, Terrance).

That doesn't mean Rick won't suddenly summon them forth for a whole new spotlight. Hey, I'm still holding a candle for an arc with Daisy playing a key part. Conversely, most of us probably have some characters wed like to see go the way of Colleen, Karl, and Actor Dog. But, after all, its Rick's world and we're guests in it.

But with over a hundred actors and counting, everybody can't get face time all the time... Regards.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Aww, eheh, chef Breel is attempting to cook what he used to eat in Heaven, but I guess that the ingredients used there to get a celestial taste aren't available on Earth. :P Anyway, I guess that what Breel cook is much better than what Keene did... :lol: And, Breel already ordered pizza before start, what a self-esteem... :| But the important, is stay and eat together! :D
fenrirblack wrote:What is up with that candle stick holder? That thing is super creepy looking. You would think Keene could afford better taste.
I agree, it's so ugly, better remove it. The candle isn't even lit, then. :P

PS: the top-left corner of the second panel is not colored.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Argent wrote:
Agreed on both accounts. Didn't notice the okapi until now and didn't notice it is probably from another dimension until Argent mentioned the ungulate thing.
Gameb18oy wrote: It’s a little sad as looking back to the black and white days of the comic, Bino was always meant to be a jerk, but not an unsympathetic one surprisingly. I mean the arc that introduced Fido seemed to mostly paint him as mostly justified as being a bit resentful of his brother’s popularity at the time with other dogs. Not saying I don’t want to see some developments for both characters though, be nice if Rick ever chose to remind us they have the same owner if I’m being honest. Sometimes I worry I misinterpreted one of the comics when I think back on that. Also, wouldn’t mind an arc on the developed but underutilized characters, like Squeak and Spo for example. Feel Rick occasionally has teased the possibility of them having a proper arc, so I don’t know why we don’t ever focus on the mice in the comic.
1) Bino shares an owner with Max, actually. They both have big ego. I blame their father.... but yeah, it would be nice to see Bino learning to be a better version of himself.

2)There was a short story arc (and a one-off comic, later on!!!1) focusing on Squeak and Spo. I think the next time they appear, they will show signs of senility (mice don't live very long, and it's already been 10 years).
1. I worded that badly, but that’s what I meant when I said they both have the same owner, Max and Bino.

2. I was aware of the arc and one-off (the one-off really felt like the start of an arc from my perspective) they are basically what I was getting at when I said it felt like Rick has toyed with the idea. And ugh the age thing. Personally I don’t figure Rick takes that detail very seriously. Aging in Housepets is the same as in any comic, they age when the artist feels like they should, otherwise, they’re always gonna be like Peter Pan, never truly growing old.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Age is a important aspect for me. Not so much maturity or how they act as much as knowing the exact age of an character for my own sake. My knowledge. That’s one of the reasons King’s (Joels) exact age (DOB) is something that haunts me.

tertiary Characters are hard to deal with. They exist to expand the story world and develop the main characters through their interactions. Squeak is a tertiary character while Joey is secondary (kinda). The thing about this comic is that we have character spheres. Certain characters interact solely with the others in their spheres. We have three main characters Peanut, Grape, and King (four if you count Fox). The thing Rick does is that he occasionally takes tertiary and secondary characters and brings them to the for front. Making them main characters for a short period. Whether or not that is good for the overall story is left for Rick to decide.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Age is a important aspect for me. Not so much maturity or how they act as much as knowing the exact age of an character for my own sake. My knowledge. That’s one of the reasons King’s (Joels) exact age (DOB) is something that haunts me.

tertiary Characters are hard to deal with. They exist to expand the story world and develop the main characters through their interactions. Squeak is a tertiary character while Joey is secondary (kinda). The thing about this comic is that we have character spheres. Certain characters interact solely with the others in their spheres. We have three main characters Peanut, Grape, and King (four if you count Fox). The thing Rick does is that he occasionally takes tertiary and secondary characters and brings them to the for front. Making them main characters for a short period. Whether or not that is good for the overall story is left for Rick to decide.
I feel you should add Keene as a possible 5th lately
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Age is a important aspect for me. Not so much maturity or how they act as much as knowing the exact age of an character for my own sake. My knowledge. That’s one of the reasons King’s (Joels) exact age (DOB) is something that haunts me.

I feel you should add Keene as a possible 5th lately
That's one of those odd gray areas when secondary characters temporarily become main characters for brief moments. Still overall the two spheres of Peanut/Grape & King/Fox dominate the comic as a whole. It's interesting when you think about the Main Character Spheres and go down into the Secondary Character Spheres and just see how much the Secondary Characters play a role in the comic as a whole. Then you have to decide who is the main character in the Secondary Spheres. It gets really complex.

Here is a diagram to help understand whatever it is I'm talking about.
Attachments
Document6.png
Document6.png (82.72 KiB) Viewed 12627 times
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Aimless wrote:Now, forgive me for asking such an old fashioned question, but Breel and Keene (or whatever their names are) are both male, correct? If so, it's nice to see non-heterosexual relationships treated so normally in media. If not, well, there's a whole lot of egg on my face right now, isint there?
Bruce and Roosevelt are also in a non-heterosexual relationship (both are jacks).
Cesco wrote:...PS: the top-left corner of the second panel is not colored.
It's not a mistake. The steam from the "food" Breel cooked is wafting into the top left corner. Both the steam in the main part of the panel and the top left corner are the same shade of off-white: #EEEEEE (aka 93% Lum).
The cape comes with the promotion.