2018/10/19 - Forbidden Format

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Bandit1990

Re: 2018/10/19 - Forbidden Format

Post by Bandit1990 »

I'm 28, I'm not old, yet. :D

I just like classic/retro media.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I listen to radio comedies.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I’m 22, I like listening to podcasts... it make me seem younger or older if I mention it’s the one the super best friends do? (Youtubers for those of you not familiar with them
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

What do want to see happen because right now I can’t tell where this Chapter is going? I want something supernatural to happen but I’m starting to worry.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Story's setting up nicely, I think … and, thanks, Champ for pointing out Peanut is wagging his tail. Such a good dog … :)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm 26, but the idea that a format that I grew up on is essentially lost to history for today's youth. Hence why my feeling old, while there, is what I call "illegitimate."
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The store owner appears to have a second mustache in place of eyes.
Such persons are not to be trusted!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Obbl wrote:Love that Peanut's looking at the VHS like, "Uh... Grape?" :lol:
Give her a break, she's like four years old
fenrirblack wrote:It's like watching a YouTube video of kids and teens reacting to 90's technology.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed this

I'm pretty sure unibrows with matching mustaches were a thing before 2009
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
tych

Post by tych »

I feel old because I own a functioning VHS/DVD Player is that weird?

oh yeah, I also I was late to this um are Peanut and Grape's costumes Resident Evil Related?
Last edited by D-Rock on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: Please use the Edit button if you wish to add more to your post if it's the most recent
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:I'm 26, but the idea that a format that I grew up on is essentially lost to history for today's youth. Hence why my feeling old, while there, is what I call "illegitimate."
When you say things like "today's youth" you are officially old.
NHWestoN wrote:Story's setting up nicely, I think … and, thanks, Champ for pointing out Peanut is wagging his tail. Such a good dog … :)
It's halloween. We should see something a lot more threatening than unibrow man and VHS's, which although truly frightening are not very threatening. So far the only scary thing about this chapter is the fact that there is still a video store that is still open. Although props for the set up of the store. It definitely has that infinite maze vibe you usually only see in creepy old libraries. Like the further you go the less likely you will ever escape. oooOOOH. :roll:
I want chills and thrills. Something truly terrifying like this
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: You're only as old as your imagination.
I often say, "Age is a state of mind and since I am out of my mind, it just doesn't matter"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

TeflonCougar wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote: You're only as old as your imagination.
I often say, "Age is a state of mind and since I am out of my mind, it just doesn't matter"
Gives the non-stick one a hug as their avatar is so dang cute.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Argent

Post by Argent »

I'm older than VHS. I remember when watching movies at home meant actual film. And I only knew one person who had a home projector that could handle full length movies.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Heck, I remember lights projected on the only wall we had without patterned wallpaper, Dad doing shadow animals with both hands, and Mom doing Mel Bland impressions while ... oh ... okay ... I'll go quietly back to the couch ...
Frank

Post by Frank »

Argent wrote:I'm older than VHS. I remember when watching movies at home meant actual film. And I only knew one person who had a home projector that could handle full length movies.
Probably. My father always tells me how they could never afford a home projector
November 21, 2010
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

fenrirblack wrote: It's halloween. We should see something a lot more threatening than unibrow man and VHS's, which although truly frightening are not very threatening. So far the only scary thing about this chapter is the fact that there is still a video store that is still open. Although props for the set up of the store. It definitely has that infinite maze vibe you usually only see in creepy old libraries. Like the further you go the less likely you will ever escape. oooOOOH. :roll:
I want chills and thrills. Something truly terrifying like this
They take the VHS home only to find out that it is, in fact.......Beta!!

should you need to look it up...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax
Frank

Post by Frank »

Can we take a moment to appreciate how wonderful that candle flame is?
tych wrote:oh yeah, I also I was late to this um are Peanut and Grape's costumes Resident Evil Related?
No, Zootopia
TeflonCougar wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: It's halloween. We should see something a lot more threatening than unibrow man and VHS's

I remember blockbuster renting Betamax... and converter cassettes to play them in VCRs
November 21, 2010
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Frank wrote:
TeflonCougar wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: It's halloween. We should see something a lot more threatening than unibrow man and VHS's

I remember blockbuster renting Betamax... and converter cassettes to play them in VCRs
If that happened it would be a really quick story. They get home look at it. Look at each other and go "ummmmmmmm..... what is it?" THE END.

Although according to my timeline there should be five strips left. "Scaredy Cats" actually ended on NOV 1 so.....we shall see. We haven't had a chapter so short since "Snow Joke" which was six. If this does end on Halloween it would be eight strips long.
So we can either keep making fun of obsolete technology/how old we all are or we can a quick plot of they take a movie home it's cursed or whatever and we all learn a valuable lesson.

I miss Tiger. I know that has nothing to do with this story but we haven't seen him since 2016 (I don't count that one-off from January)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

fenrirblack wrote:
D-Rock wrote:I'm 26, but the idea that a format that I grew up on is essentially lost to history for today's youth. Hence why my feeling old, while there, is what I call "illegitimate."
Oh, please, when I first learned of the furry fandom, I thought to myself, "guess it's one of those things for the younger crowd."

Not only was I incredibly wrong about that, I want to say that I was 19 at the time. :roll:

I don't really hang out with people younger than me if they're not family. Online is a whole different matter.
NHWestoN wrote:Heck, I remember lights projected on the only wall we had without patterned wallpaper, Dad doing shadow animals with both hands, and Mom doing Mel Bland impressions while ... oh ... okay ... I'll go quietly back to the couch ...
Used to try shadow puppets in elementary school whenever we got the rare chance to use the projector. The stopped using projectors in my schools by fifth grade, around 2002. It was fun. :)
Also, Mel Blanc, as in "The Man with a Thousand Voices?" That's pretty impressive!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Oh, please, when I first learned of the furry fandom, I thought to myself, "guess it's one of those things for the younger crowd."

Not only was I incredibly wrong about that, I want to say that I was 19 at the time. :roll:

I don't really hang out with people younger than me if they're not family. Online is a whole different matter.
Since were sharing, I was 22 when I discovered the furry fandom. Partly because I didn’t have internet til I was 18 and in college. At that point I discovered the world of online anime. :D I’ve never considered my age to be a deterrent for anything. I’m young in body, mind, and spirit.
It wasn’t until this past June I started interacting with people online. :?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I think I joined it... year or two back? Technically think I’ve known about it as far back as that one episode of CSI “fear and loathing” (which can I say, is hilarious in this time period even if it was pretty insulting back in the day.) but I only really engaged in it recently
Argent

Post by Argent »

My first "OMG I'm Old" moment was asking a co-worker where they were when Apollo 11 landed and they answered "I wasn't born yet".

I've decided to ignore that nonsense.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

at least it's not a betamax tape.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I have to ignore lot of nonsense, Argent. Sometimes, even some "sense", too …… ;)
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

found the fandom in 1997 and attended my first con in 1999. Found it not online, but in a book. "The American Journal of Anthropomorphics #4". Got my first computer in '98. It was cutting edge with an awe inspiring 2 gig hard drive. From there I found the newsgroups like alt.fan.furry and art sites like YERF, VCL and Furnation. Some of the comics I followed back then are gone. Ozy and Millie, Mynarsky Forest, Class Menagerie, Suburban Jungle. Seen a lot of artists I liked fade away, leave in disgust, outright die and some just vanish.

Been a long journey, but it goes on.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

TeflonCougar wrote: Seen a lot of artists I liked fade away, leave in disgust, outright die and some just vanish.

That's my biggest fear about this comic. I'm afraid Rick is going to die or vanish and we'll never find out any of the mini-mysteries he's put in the comics over the years or simple things like King's actual age. Then there's Tom Fischbach who does the TwoKinds comics. I'm afraid he'll die before Flora has her baby. Twelve years she been pregnant. TWELVE. YEARS. The comic has been around for fifteen years. According to my math it'll take another six years. Thank god, Bailey had her pups in a realistic time frame.

If Rick does decide to end the comic he should have a Q & A page on the forum. You get one question so make it count.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
TeflonCougar wrote: Seen a lot of artists I liked fade away, leave in disgust, outright die and some just vanish.

That's my biggest fear about this comic. I'm afraid Rick is going to die or vanish and we'll never find out any of the mini-mysteries he's put in the comics over the years or simple things like King's actual age. Then there's Tom Fischbach who does the TwoKinds comics. I'm afraid he'll die before Flora has her baby. Twelve years she been pregnant. TWELVE. YEARS. The comic has been around for fifteen years. According to my math it'll take another six years. Thank god, Bailey had her pups in a realistic time frame.

If Rick does decide to end the comic he should have a Q & A page on the forum. You get one question so make it count.
I’m sure you mean well, but I’d just worry about not knowing what happened to someone whose work I got so invested in. I’ve never liked the idea that only comes up online of not knowing if they are still alive if they ever stop talking to you and others. Also, I think King’s age in his dog body is something Rick doesn’t intend to answer, how would you even organically even bring that up... also, man knowing Markiplier at least knows about furries if nothing else (its kinda up in the air if his brother is a furry or not) is not something I figured I’d find out in my lifetime
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Just went to see Halloween in theaters and it suddenly dawned on me:

If by chance these two are going home to watch a horror movie, i'm under the impression Grape never seen a horror movie at home before with anyone and Peanut is going to be a good snuggle buddy for this. She may have heard of Halloween H20, but did she watch it? Guessing this movie might just be a whole out of left field horror movie. also.

Also, this leaves so much of a good brick joke. Peanut helps Grape get use to horror movies, then she helps Max, who helps Bino, who helps King...
Last edited by GameCobra on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay last chance to guess what kind of movie they’re going to rent. What will become of them as they begin their decent into the unknown tale of horror brought to you by the “Movie Palace” * ominous lightning

There one last thing I wanted to ask before we move on? What was up with the alt-text? I didn’t get that joke?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

GameCobra wrote:Just went to see Halloween in theaters and it suddenly dawned on me:

If by chance these two are going home to watch a horror movie, i'm under the impression Grape never seen a horror movie at home before with anyone and Peanut is going to be a good snuggle buddy for this. She may have heard of Halloween H20, but did she watch it? Guessing this movie might just be a whole out of left field horror movie. also.

Also, this leaves so much of a good brick joke. Peanut helps Grape get use to horror movies, then she helps Max, who helps Bino, who helps King...
Not sure I've ever heard of the term brick joke. It any different from a running gag, like the one with waking up always happening?
Argent

Post by Argent »

So the classic brick joke is a long series of jokes about different professions building houses. Eventually there's a mathematiacn or engineer who calculates exactly how many bricks would be needed, builds the house, and there's half a brick left over... so his friend asks what's that for, and the mathematician says "that's for luck" and throws it over his shoulder.

Then later on someone in another joke gets hit by "the brick from a previous joke".

It's not like a running gag because it's clearly a one-off set-up.