2018/11/07 - Laughter In A Can

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/11/07 - Laughter In A Can

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/11/07 - Laughter In A Can]
Title Text: applause noises! cheer sounds! spontaneous rendition of he's a jolly good fellow!

Oh, the strain on the illustrators wrist.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: Laughter In A Can

Post by fenrirblack »

Rick heard my prayers. TIGER is back. He is alive! I was starting g to get concerned.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

previously on Tiger & Friends
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The funny thing is I'm super excited to see Tiger so the applause track is appropriate. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Douglas Collier

Re: 2018/11/07 - Laughter In A Can

Post by Douglas Collier »

Marvin: For some reason, I kinda feel the same way. *stares at fourth wall*
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

The app is called Actual Reaction of The Forum
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It’s funny how horribly Tiger is treated by the other pets but everyone loves him here. I think I feel tears. I wasn’t even this excited when King showed up back in June.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

In many ways I love Tiger too.

When in need of true applause,
stamp your feet and clap your paws,
be the guy someone adores,
Be the greatest; Marvin or Zach.
The ego that walks on the ground,
covered in the fur of a little hound,
with his tape of the Tiger Woods sound;
well deserving of a downward smack.
Marvin vanishes out stage left,
leaving his fans quite bereft;
accusing Tiger of attention theft;
wondering when they’ll get their hero back.
As Zach, never unnoticed, slips back in,
we wonder when his next plot will begin...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ah, homecoming... Just in time for the holidays, too. Hope Tiger, Marvin, and Zach will reprise their wandering neighborhood caroling this Yule.... ;)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I knew Tiger wasn't dead in Death Always Knocks Twice! I'd say I told you so, but I can't find where I would've posted my opinion on that so maybe I didn't tell you so and just kept it to myself. I can't help but feel that everything in the first two panels are directed straight at us, the forumites. Anyone wanting more side characters like Tiger got their wish, at least. I haven't kept a tally, but in previous topics I see some people want the comic to revisit secondary character more so they can get more development. At the same time, I see others who want it to stay true to its Peanut/Grape Fox/King roots. In summery, It looks to me that people just want more Housepets! in general (except Spot (Superdog)).
Xane wrote:"Also I stopped using that violet shampoo you bought me, I was starting to look like a purple cartoon bunny..."
As opposed to a grey cartoon bunny? It's not as noticeable, but the other two are different colors as well (#EEC97F to #EAD5AB for Tiger and #EAB549 #EDB96D for Marvin)
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:I knew Tiger wasn't dead in Death Always Knocks Twice! I'd say I told you so, but I can't find where I would've posted my opinion on that so maybe I didn't tell you so and just kept it to myself. I can't help but feel that everything in the first two panels are directed straight at us, the forumites.
I think we all knew but it’s just been so long that maybe even if he wasn’t technically “dead” the character was as far as appearing again. That was my fear. Rick was dropping the character.
Champion Wallace wrote: Anyone wanting more side characters like Tiger got their wish, at least. I haven't kept a tally, but in previous topics I see some people want the comic to revisit secondary character more so they can get more development. At the same time, I see others who want it to stay true to its Peanut/Grape Fox/King roots. In summery, It looks to me that people just want more Housepets! in general (except Spot (Superdog)).
It’s interesting how people are excited to see him again but I can’t remember anyone posting about Tiger. I kept thinking about doing it but never got around to it. Just a few hours ago I was going to post about Tiger appearing this week but got distracted by a Zelda related emergency.
I’m torn between developing the secondary characters versus keeping the focus on the main ones. Of course the obvious solution would do both at once. Want to develop Max, have him go on another adventure with Peanut and Grape. Want to develop Bino (why?) have him do something with Fox and the K9’s. I personally want Tiger and Marvin to have their own story like the fair. Honestly the best solution would be to have all three do something together “Homeward Bound” style. Zach is secondary while Tiger and Marvin are tertiary (Marvin barely qualifies as that) so they need to do something together. Although Tiger did get his own chapter (it is still one of the best ones) so he’s an odd character existing between secondary and tertiary status.
Xane wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:"Also I stopped using that violet shampoo you bought me, I was starting to look like a purple cartoon bunny..."
As opposed to a grey cartoon bunny? It's not as noticeable, but the other two are different colors as well (#EEC97F to #EAD5AB for Tiger and #EAB549 #EDB96D for Marvin)
It’s super noticeable. It’s actually interesting watching Zach transition from pink to gray over the years. Tiger is the most noticeable. PALE!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We've seen that not even character death is a permanent loss for the comic most of the time. So far, only Faust has been completely permanent. Just consider just how many characters there are, and some of them are simply vehicles for jokes or fluff.

Speaking of the latter, think we'll see Sten, Griswold, and Devo again anytime soon? They were the best characters. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It is because there are so many characters and some of them are just for a single joke that makes me worry. I mean what is to stop Rick from taking an ax to half the characters in the comic? Tiger and Marvin are tertiary and haven't been seen in real context in almost three years. Cleaning house is a real possibility.

For anyone who doesn't know or doesn't remember.
Faust

Sten, Griswold, and Devo
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The absolute worst I see Rick doing is setting the characters as background for the remainder of the comic's run. I think Faust got permadeath because of how early in the comic's life his death happened, likely when Rick was still deciding how to set up the world. Or he hasn't/doesn't want to come up with an excuse to bring them back.

Basically, it helps not to worry too much about it.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice to see these three again.
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

Aww, Tiger DID miss Zach after all! He saved all that up for whenever Zach came home!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Saturn381 wrote:Nice to see these three again.
I am a bit concerned about how fast Marvin 'Exited, stage left' when Tiger appeared.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

*raises a "Marvin MVP" sign*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

Xane wrote:"Also I stopped using that violet shampoo you bought me, I was starting to look like a purple cartoon bunny..."
I was going to say Zach is looking faded without his pink fur. How old is he anyway?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:
I was going to say Zach is looking faded without his pink fur. How old is he anyway?
Old enough to know Tiger well.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Tiger's face in the final panel is ADORABLE!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

So I know everyone seems happy Tiger (and Marvin) are finally back, but does anyone else feel this comic flows pretty poorly?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Keldor wrote:Aww, Tiger DID miss Zach after all! He saved all that up for whenever Zach came home!
Was he waiting for Zach, or did he wait 3 whole weeks for anyone to ask "Where's Tiger?"
Gameb18oy wrote:So I know everyone seems happy Tiger (and Marvin) are finally back, but does anyone else feel this comic flows pretty poorly?
I'm not sure I see what you mean. The joke carries well.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Bandit1990 wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:So I know everyone seems happy Tiger (and Marvin) are finally back, but does anyone else feel this comic flows pretty poorly?
I think he's talking about how Marvin seems to vanish from the strip after the first panel.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Bandit1990 wrote:
I think he's talking about how Marvin seems to vanish from the strip after the first panel.
I honestly... just didn’t get the joke first time reading. I got it after a few times looking over, I did look at the comic just a bit after waking up, so mind was lagging a bit. Will say Marvin’s expression amuses me to no end, like he knows he’s about to disappear... this is petty to complain about, but I hope Tiger’s updated design isn’t gonna keep that color for his nose. I don’t know why, but it looks really dumb for some reason to me.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

Yeah I Want To Hear The Reast Of His GRINCH Song :lol":
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

TIGER AND MARVIN!
I never thought I'd see the day... I mean sure, it's just a one-off, but one-offs are historically their thing.

It's so nice to finally see Tiger genuinely smiling about something. When was the last time he looked so happy?
Gah- my heart-

Imma be honest, did not expect Tiger to have a phone. Just another thing to be addicted to and another thing to make him never leave the house.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Tappy Too wrote:TIGER AND MARVIN!
I never thought I'd see the day... I mean sure, it's just a one-off, but one-offs are historically their thing.

It's so nice to finally see Tiger genuinely smiling about something. When was the last time he looked so happy?
Gah- my heart-

Imma be honest, did not expect Tiger to have a phone. Just another thing to be addicted to and another thing to make him never leave the house.
Nice to see Rick has given a canonical reason for why we never see these characters
Frank

Post by Frank »

Three weeks?! Now I feel bad for him
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Douglas Collier

Between Zach’s comment about being ignored and Tiger’s location not being asked about for three weeks, I’d say it’s safe to presume that the Arbelts neglect their pets. Along with Sasha’s abusive owner, it gives insight into the lives of less lucky housepets. Meanwhile, on the other side of the spectrum, you’ve got the Sandwiches, who treat their pets as if they were their own children; it’s an interesting contrast to see how each family treats their pets.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Douglas Collier wrote:Between Zach’s comment about being ignored and Tiger’s location not being asked about for three weeks, I’d say it’s safe to presume that the Arbelts neglect their pets. On top of Sasha’s abusive owner, it adds another facet into average housepet life, I guess. On the other side of the spectrum, you’ve got the Sandwiches that treat their pets as if they were their own children. It’s an interesting contrast to see how each family treats their pets.
Don't assume that from this. Tiger's been waiting for THAT particular straight line for 3 weeks and Zach seems to spend a lot of time with Jessica in the wild these days.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Douglas Collier

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:Between Zach’s comment about being ignored and Tiger’s location not being asked about for three weeks, I’d say it’s safe to presume that the Arbelts neglect their pets. On top of Sasha’s abusive owner, it adds another facet into average housepet life, I guess. On the other side of the spectrum, you’ve got the Sandwiches that treat their pets as if they were their own children. It’s an interesting contrast to see how each family treats their pets.
Don't assume that from this. Tiger's been waiting for THAT particular straight line for 3 weeks and Zach seems to spend a lot of time with Jessica in the wild these days.
Tiger had to wait three weeks for someone to say “Where’s Tiger?”. Tiger’s antics might be a sign of trying to get people to notice him. Zach presumably spends his time with Jessica because he’s ignored at home (as mentioned in the comic).
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Douglas Collier wrote:Zach presumably spends his time with Jessica because he’s ignored at home (as mentioned in the comic).
Or, alternately, Zach doesn't spend much time at home because, if he did, he'd have to hang around with Tiger.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Douglas Collier

ImageImage
Pretty sure Zach has always just wanted to be accepted. On the bright side, it’s nice to see that Tiger is now including Zach in his self-indulgence efforts.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Or, alternately, Zach doesn't spend much time at home because, if he did, he'd have to hang around with Tiger.
Good Point

I certainly wouldn't use the term neglect, maybe oblivious. The Arbelts seem generally well taken care of, and from what little we've seen of him Jerry does seem to legitimately care about their well being. He did organize the whole neighborhood to look for Zach when he ran away. I would say that by this point he's just so used to Tiger's antics that he doesn't really think about them anymore.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Makes you wonder for what reason Zac went home then. Think Jessica’s house is slowly running out of room or something? Maybe they are hoping it will make the cult of the opener of ways calm down some? I know the answer is “Zac is kinda necessary because most short punchlines involving Tiger doesn’t work without him” but you never know, might need to explain it in the next one.
Douglas Collier

Good point. That still doesn’t explain Zach’s comment about being ignored. When he’s not in the forest (where he gets the copious unnecessary pandering), he is at home.
One can be provided with food and shelter and still go crazy if they are otherwise left to their own devices.
Gameb18oy wrote:Makes you wonder for what reason Zac went home then. Think Jessica’s house is slowly running out of room or something? Maybe they are hoping it will make the cult of the opener of ways calm down some? I know the answer is “Zac is kinda necessary because most short punchlines involving Tiger doesn’t work without him” but you never know, might need to explain it in the next one.
Probably had something to do with the copious and unnecessary pandering.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:Makes you wonder for what reason Zac went home then. Think Jessica’s house is slowly running out of room or something? Maybe they are hoping it will make the cult of the opener of ways calm down some? I know the answer is “Zac is kinda necessary because most short punchlines involving Tiger doesn’t work without him” but you never know, might need to explain it in the next one.
Well he was almost eaten a few months back. Pueblo did scream at the top of his lungs that Rockstar was lurking in the bushes. Between that and the fact the cult was basically holding him prisoner is a good reason to return.
Bandit1990 wrote:
I certainly wouldn't use the term neglect, maybe oblivious. The Arbelts seem generally well taken care of, and from what little we've seen of him Jerry does seem to legitimately care about their well being. He did organize the whole neighborhood to look for Zach when he ran away. I would say that by this point he's just so used to Tiger's antics that he doesn't really think about them anymore.
Jerry strikes me as your typical bachelor pet owner. He tries to take care of them but has no real paternal instinct. He lets Tiger get away with murder. He tries to care for Tiger but doesn’t know how. Your right, he doesn’t think about them anymore. They need a woman’s touch.
Marvin is the one who has to take care of Tiger. Honestly I feel bad for Marvin because his life revolves around Tiger. The only time we see him interacting with another pet is the haunted house chapter.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Douglas Collier wrote:Good point. That still doesn’t explain Zach’s comment about being ignored. When he’s not in the forest (where he gets the copious unnecessary pandering), he is at home.
One can be provided with food and shelter and still go crazy if they are otherwise left to their own devices.
Probably had something to do with the copious and unnecessary pandering.
I wonder if it’s meta humor in a sense that Zac and Jessica gets as irritated with the group as I (and I assume others) do. It feels like the joke got pretty stale pretty fast, and I kinda wish it led to more than hero worship of Zac. Imagine if devout travelers did stuff like follow the path of their Messiah, basically meaning they’d end up larping in the temple for holy reasons. Hindsight is 20/20, but I find it odd that Rick doesn’t do much with that, heck it’s led to the wild animals (besides possibly Karishad post-zoo life... what even is Karishad at this point? Wild animal, Zoo, Milton (free, similar to human in what he’s allowed to do)?) getting almost no arcs before Jessica showed up.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Tiger's shown he can carry a whole saga on his own and, being more vulnerable than Bino, he's a bit more appealing and less "villainous". In the great realm of "secondary character arcs", I've always thought Marvin and Maxwell deserved a pal-around arc of their own. Why Zach comes back to the Arbelt house is a bit of a mystery, but I assume he still cares about his "dad" and his pet brothers too much to make a complete break. As to the treehouse, well, Jessica reigns and rules there (so far) so I wouldn't expect any of the current tenants to risk her wrath by messing with her "bunnyboy".

D-Rock, I think the threesome you mentioned (Griswold, Devo, and Sten) have possibilities. So, too, does Yeltsin for that matter, who has a real edge to him to go with the accent and the attitude. Suppose I could mention Daisy? Oh, did I before. Well, one more plug.

But with over a hundred characters, not everybody gets lines in the play … or stage time. ……… yet. Maybe in the next iteration of 12 Days of Christmas".