2018/11/07 - Laughter In A Can

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: 2018/11/07 - Laughter In A Can

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:I think that's just ignorance on their part. Considering how many didn't even know what he was doing. In all honesty they are living pampered lives and don't know any better. They live in their own little bubbles. I understand where the pets are coming from. Keene comes in and is like "I can give you rights and freedom and all I ask is that you give up your dependence on your owners and get real jobs and an education like humans." I can see the strays and feral getting into it but pets like Peanut and Grape who are living the good life are not.
Actually, I kinda figure Peanut and Grape might be some of the easier ones to get into it. It’s been said a lot of times that the sandwiches are the most consistent in treating their pets like their kids, I wouldn’t be surprised if they brought them up with a good work ethic. Even if they don’t, they both have mild connections to the working world, Grape probably would be more than happy working with Res on whatever he does next in the world of writing, and Peanut... he has mild experience working from that time he went to that convention thing in the astral plane with Tarot, and even though I doubt it go anywhere, he’d likely try his hand at making comics for a living. Heck it be weird if Peanut can’t do anything with that low-key eidetic memory and superhuman reading speed of his. Also, to add another pet who wouldn’t mind a job, just bring up how much cat-nip he can buy with a salary, and I think Max will be all for Pets getting that right.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Earl did get Itzaki up to spend pretty quickly on the nuances of auto mechanics and customer relations.....
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:As Sasha tells Bailey, "Yeah, he (King) frets over eentsy things. He even told me to run away from home even though I have food … and a pile of Laundry!!"
To which Bailey replies "I know, right? Always focusing on the negative. Sometimes I suspect he's a miniature human in a dog suit."

..and there's a Housepets! reflection on the human condition from two of our deeper canine contemplatives.... ;)
Regards.
I wouldn’t call Sasha deep anything. She’s is the most ignorant pet of the bunch.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I've seen it implied that her persona is at least partially an act.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I've just thought that she was a savant in some things.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:Earl did get Itzaki up to spend pretty quickly on the nuances of auto mechanics and customer relations.....
What’s interesting about Itzuki is that he’s forgein. We know practically nothing about animal in treatment in other countries other than Feraga. Japan might have completely different set of laws regarding animal rights and treatment. Itzuki came to the US on a student visa and no one thought twice about it. Earl was confused for a moment but he ran with it.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, Itsuki says that tanuki are Japanese citizens (and thus, presumably, at least foxes are as well), so they have the same rights as humans in Japan. I would guess that the samurai lords would have definitely made use of dogs as vassals and a few of those would have probably ended up officially adopted into the family and been given rule over a small castle somewhere. So I'd love to know how this extends to other animals in Japan :D

I'm still of the mind that even when animals are granted equal rights, they'll still be able to be pets. Just, the paperwork for owning a pet may have to be amended to include a signature from the pet him/herself and a clause allowing the pet to remove him/herself from the relationship by going down to the city hall (or online) and filing the required form.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:Yeah, Itsuki says that tanuki are Japanese citizens (and thus, presumably, at least foxes are as well), so they have the same rights as humans in Japan. I would guess that the samurai lords would have definitely made use of dogs as vassals and a few of those would have probably ended up officially adopted into the family and been given rule over a small castle somewhere. So I'd love to know how this extends to other animals in Japan :D

I'm still of the mind that even when animals are granted equal rights, they'll still be able to be pets. Just, the paperwork for owning a pet may have to be amended to include a signature from the pet him/herself and a clause allowing the pet to remove him/herself from the relationship by going down to the city hall (or online) and filing the required form.
If Rick sees this, I bet he’ll have Karishad speak Japanese with a punchline about how he didn’t understand a word he said just to spite us... though also, wouldn’t it just be Kitsunes that are considered Japanese?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Is Kari ACTUALLY a kitsune? I thought he was just a fox. Though with his reality warping powers, I wouldn't be surprised...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm guessing at his level of the cosmos, GK is both multinational and multilingual. At least his Japanese is likely as good as Thomas's Arabic (although Sophie may feel otherwise).
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Kitsune is the Japanese word for fox, so the distinction of whether legal rights apply to kitsunes or foxes is moot. In Japanese, the word applies to both the forest critter and the multi-tailed spirit. In English however, the word kitsune has been adapted to specifically refer to magical, nine-tailed foxes. Tanuki has a similar double meaning in Japanese, but is in the opposite situation in English, possibly because the spirit isn't depicted with any morphological differences like more tails and raccoon dogs are distinct enough to be a separate species from western raccoons (and dogs), unlike between western and Japanese foxes.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here's a fun fact, you know how Kitsune's are tricker spirts in Japanese lore. Well, there is a North American tricker god called the Great Hare.
For more on Japanese mythology, In Japan the fox is the embodiment of Inari as Spirit of Rain. Others say that the fox, Kitsune, carries messages for the god Inari.
Get this, in Chinese stories, the fox is a shape-changer that becomes a wizard when it reaches the age of 100 years. At the age of 1000, the animal goes to heaven as the Celestial Fox which has nine tails and serves as a means of transport for the celestial spirits.
North American stories has the Brer fox, a trickster who stole fire from the fireflies and gave it to the tribes.
Argent

Post by Argent »

There are a number of trickster spirits in different North American histories. There's the rabbit (seen as "brer rabbit" in the Uncle Remus stories) in the east, coyote in the west, and raven in the northwest. Coyote also put the stars in the sky and created humans. Fox is coyote's best friend who also gets the job of bringing coyote back to life when he gets killed (he's kind of accident prone). Grey fox is kind of coyote's younger cousin who coyote is always bullying and making fun of.

Most of the same stories get told in different places with their own local tricksters, for example the tar baby and the briar patch story is also told with coyote as the protagonist.

Fans of Watership Down might be interested to know that the story of Frith blessing El-ahrairah's backside may have been taken from Mourning DOve's "Coyote Stories"... the Great Spirit blesses coyote's "tummy" in much the same way... except that the outcome is more bawdy and scatological.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @