2018/11/23 - Me And My One Hundred Closest Friends

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
tych

Re: 2018/11/23 - Me And My One Hundred Closest Friends

Post by tych »

is it weird I hope it becomes a Christmas tradition with the animals to go over to Keene's hot spring(tub) on the coldest day in December we enjoy hilarious stupidity from it?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

That's not weird, it would make good fodder for one-offs in the future.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Bandit1990 wrote:That's not weird, it would make good fodder for one-offs in the future.
Both for comedy, and fan service purposes. I mean, it could replace the valentines once or twice
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There is a question I wanted to ask about spa actually. Is the spa actually a truck or is the building actually on the truck and it can be off-loaded. Either way it does seem very weird though I know they both are possible. :geek:
Argent

Post by Argent »

Bandit1990 wrote:They met briefly back in All's Fair Part 2. She gave him relationship advice, sort-of :D
Back when Zach was purple after he started out pink (and since turned grey).
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:
Bandit1990 wrote:They met briefly back in All's Fair Part 2. She gave him relationship advice, sort-of :D
Well, regular rabbits do have fur coats that change color depending on the season
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Nice of Keene to share his spa. What a generous guy. :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Peachy guy, eh?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Argent wrote:
Well, regular rabbits do have fur coats that change color depending on the season
Okay, it was super hard (harder than it should have been) but I found out actual information about Photoperiodism.

Photoperiodism is a process whereby organisms are able to use both absolute measures of day length and the direction of day length change as a basis for regulating seasonal changes in physiology and behavior. The use of day length cues allows organisms to essentially track time-of-year and to "anticipate" relatively predictable annual variations in important environmental parameters. Thus, adaptive types of seasonal biological changes can be molded through evolution to fit annual environmental cycles. Studies of the formal properties of photoperiodic mechanisms have revealed that most organisms use circadian oscillators to measure day length. Two types of paradigms, designated as the external and internal coincidence models, have been proposed to account for photoperiodic time measurement by a circadian mechanism. Both models postulate that the timing of light exposure, rather than the total amount of light, is critical to the organism's perception of day length. In mammals, a circadian oscillator(s) in the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the hypothalamus receives photic stimuli via the retinohypothalamic tract. The circadian system regulates the rhythmic secretion of the pineal hormone, melatonin. Melatonin is secreted at night, and the duration of secretion varies in inverse relation to day length; thus, photoperiod information is "encoded" in the melatonin signal. The melatonin signal is presumably "decoded" in melatonin target tissues that are involved in the regulation of a variety of seasonal responses. Variations in photoperiodic response are seen not only between species but also between breeding populations within a species and between individuals within single breeding populations. Sometimes these variations appear to be the result of differences in responsiveness to melatonin; in other cases, variations in photoperiod responsiveness may depend on differences in patterns of melatonin secretion related to circadian variation.
Goldman, B. D. (2001). Mammalian Photoperiodic System: Formal Properties and Neuroendocrine Mechanisms of Photoperiodic Time Measurement. Journal of Biological Rhythms, 16(4), 283.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And now the hard part; figuring out why we would need to know this.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:And now the hard part; figuring out why we would need to know this.
Because learning is important. ;)
Because Housepets should be educational. :D
Because Gameb18oy brought it up. :)
Because I put way too much effort in researching it. :geek:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
D-Rock wrote:And now the hard part; figuring out why we would need to know this.
Because learning is important. ;)
Because Housepets should be educational. :D
Because Gameb18oy brought it up. :)
Because I put way too much effort in researching it. :geek:
To be fair, I was mostly saying it in jest, which I hope was clear
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

This forum frequently and extensively ventures into areas we really don't need to know - but the stuff sure is fascinating!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It wasn’t that long ago we all got a lesson in Ophthalmology.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh yeah sure. You answer that question but not my question about the spa. LOL
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:It wasn’t that long ago we all got a lesson in Ophthalmology.
Long enough it seems, I haven’t been here that long and I don’t remember that
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

You missed a lot of fun facts. Since I joined, I’ve strived to enlighten everyone with fun zoology facts. It’s rare but it does happen on occasion like today.

Now I remember, it was back in August during the “Misty Watercolor Memories“ strip. Because of the off colored panels The conversation drifted into a discussion on wolf vision.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Not entirely trivial since a wolf pack is one of the comic's primary social nodes.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Welp, only a few more hours till we know how much fan service Rick is willing to do
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gameb18oy wrote:Welp, only a few more hours till we know how much fan service Rick is willing to do
Mmm, them K9 cops.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:Welp, only a few more hours till we know how much fan service Rick is willing to do
Mmm, them K9 cops.
This talking about Ralph’s possible aspiration to become Captain Killjoy, or just the fact that most of the precinct is fan favorites who it be nice to see some fan service stuff for?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

All of them are good to look it even if Rick doesn't intend it. Why do you think I wrote a fanfic to break up Sasha/Kevin so my own character could go with Kevin? ;)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:All of them are good to look it even if Rick doesn't intend it. Why do you think I wrote a fanfic to break up Sasha/Kevin so my own character could go with Kevin? ;)
Could be because at least then there’d be something happening with that relationship? I swear, while I know Rick paired her up as a kind of cruel joke to keep Fox from dating her, you’d think it be easy to name times they are seen together, even Bino and Duchess at least get that
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The Sasha-Kevin pairing always struck me, as Gameboy notes, as the natural solution to a story that was going to see Fox again get humiliated. (Embarrassing the good-hearted husky goes all the way back to his origins in getting rescued by Grape.) plus, there's the ancient comic motif of pairing the beautiful ditzy beauty with the muscle-bound Adonis-physiqued muscle-head. Having made that pairing, Rick hasn't done much with it except for a couple of one-shots and the "Twelve-Days" epic.

He may have just lost interest in them. "Dummies" have only so much comic potential. Like Kevin, Mungo is a super-strong guy, but he's not as dense or narcissistic. Recently, Daisy - formerly "the dumber (than Sasha) dog" - revealed a startlingly smarter side as well as being Sasha's pal. However, Rick hasn't done anything with Daisy since - too bad because I'd love to see her take up with Fox and exile the vapid Summer and soulless Spring to the land of Tarmac, Jasper, Colleen, Shardul, and other one-time walk-ons. Similarly, I'd love to see an arc where Fox and Fido try to work through their estrangement.

But I'll just enjoy the story and let Rick spin this new yarn..........
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:The Sasha-Kevin pairing always struck me, as Gameboy notes, as the natural solution to a story that was going to see Fox again get humiliated. (Embarrassing the good-hearted husky goes all the way back to his origins in getting rescued by Grape.) plus, there's the ancient comic motif of pairing the beautiful ditzy beauty with the muscle-bound Adonis-physiqued muscle-head. Having made that pairing, Rick hasn't done much with it except for a couple of one-shots and the "Twelve-Days" epic.

He may have just lost interest in them. "Dummies" have only so much comic potential. Like Kevin, Mungo is a super-strong guy, but he's not as dense or narcissistic. Recently, Daisy - formerly "the dumber (than Sasha) dog" - revealed a startlingly smarter side as well as being Sasha's pal. However, Rick hasn't done anything with Daisy since - too bad because I'd love to see her take up with Fox and exile the vapid Summer and soulless Spring to the land of Tarmac, Jasper, Colleen, Shardul, and other one-time walk-ons. Similarly, I'd love to see an arc where Fox and Fido try to work through their estrangement.

But I'll just enjoy the story and let Rick spin this new yarn..........
Hey, I’m hoping he’s gonna bring back the zoo animals due to having Poncho in the zoo, Shardul has a chance of coming back... though personally I just want the otters, it’s such a waste not having the otters show up more
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gameb18oy wrote:I just want the otters, it’s such a waste not having the otters show up more
This!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Rick! A fellow mustelid agrees, we need those otters back! ... I wonder if the Japanese female would get along with Itsuki? Also, anyone find it weird otters,ferrets, and skunks are all considered Mustelids? You wouldn’t guess it looking at them
Argent

Post by Argent »

They are all musteloidae, a superfamily of ailuridae, mustelidae, mephitidae, and procyonidae.

Mustelidae is otters and badgers and badgers and badgers and weasels (martens and ferrets and stoats and fishers and wolverines, oh my).

Procyonidae includes raccoons, kinkajous, and cacomistles.

Mephitidae are skunks.

And ailuridae is the red panda all by its lonesome.

There are three badgers because European badgers, American badgers, and honey badgers, they need three subfamilies just to handle all the badgerness.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:They are all musteloidae, a superfamily of ailuridae, mustelidae, mephitidae, and procyonidae.

Mustelidae is otters and badgers and badgers and badgers and weasels (martens and ferrets and stoats and fishers and wolverines, oh my).

Procyonidae includes raccoons, kinkajous, and cacomistles.

Mephitidae are skunks.

And ailuridae is the red panda all by its lonesome.

There are three badgers because European badgers, American badgers, and honey badgers, they need three subfamilies just to handle all the badgerness.
You think Steward being a european badger is because it looks the most appealing, or also hint at his place of origin
Argent

Post by Argent »

https://twitter.com/hirorwar/status/1004374685805629440
American badgers look like they're about to drag you into a back alley and pull a shiv on you to demand money for their meth habit. European badgers look like they're about to invite you over for a cup of tea and some custard creams at their little cottage in the countryside.

ImageImage
PS: Wikipedia says I'm wrong, and otters and weasels go together and martens and wolverines are closer to the badgers, because genes.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:https://twitter.com/hirorwar/status/1004374685805629440
American badgers look like they're about to drag you into a back alley and pull a shiv on you to demand money for their meth habit. European badgers look like they're about to invite you over for a cup of tea and some custard creams at their little cottage in the countryside.

ImageImage
PS: Wikipedia says I'm wrong, and otters and weasels go together and martens and wolverines are closer to the badgers, because genes.
Us otters and ferrets are superior in cute factor either way though
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Time to pull out my copy of "Wind in the Willows".