2018/12/12 - Here And There And Everywhere

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2018/12/12 - Here And There And Everywhere

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

King only looks taller because he and Bailey are sitting. When they get up, she will go back to towering over him again.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Cool comic page today. :) Aww, the cute Kingley family is having fun in a small size pool. :D Oh Duchess, don't worry, keep him all for you. ;) Ahah, Bino's face. :lol: Eh, what do you think to find underground, Fox? :P If you think that Keene isn't in the showers (and that draw above denies it :P) how could he be hidden in the machineries? I bet he's somewhere with his Breel. ;) Anyway, watch out from Sasha's arm, Fox... :?
TigerShark20

Post by TigerShark20 »

I thing that most affectionate thing Duchess has even given Bino
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The weird thing about seeing King so content and happy is that seeing it makes it feel like his story is over. I mean this is or was the most emotionally unstable, dramatic, complicated character with the most depth and he's the one who has the story book ending. It's like "that's all folks, they lived happily ever after." Even the last King arc was just them being all mushy lovely bleh together while Peanut and Grape got to deal with the drama. How is it that of all the characters in the series its King's who's done? I mean sure he still has to get a job but why bother at this point? He doesn't go on any of the supernatural adventures, its rarely ever mentioned he was human once, and at this point it's like who cares that's old news and it's not even relevant to the comic anymore. He has as much point in this comic as Bino or Itsuki now. He went on the camping trip and did nothing. He didn't even get kidnapped. His life is so dull and mundane so much so that he's in the wading pool with his family instead of with everyone else. They're their own bubble now that exists out in the void somewhere.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:The weird thing about seeing King so content and happy is that seeing it makes it feel like his story is over. I mean this is or was the most emotionally unstable, dramatic, complicated character with the most depth and he's the one who has the story book ending. It's like "that's all folks, they lived happily ever after." Even the last King arc was just them being all mushy lovely bleh together while Peanut and Grape got to deal with the drama. How is it that of all the characters in the series its King's who's done? I mean sure he still has to get a job but why bother at this point? He doesn't go on any of the supernatural adventures, its rarely ever mentioned he was human once, and at this point it's like who cares that's old news and it's not even relevant to the comic anymore. He has as much point in this comic as Bino or Itsuki now. He went on the camping trip and did nothing. He didn't even get kidnapped. His life is so dull and mundane so much so that he's in the wading pool with his family instead of with everyone else. They're their own bubble now that exists out in the void somewhere.
Maybe when the kids grow up? I do admit his potential is being wasted though, there was next to no reason why he went on the camping trip, I was hoping he’d run into Draig and Craig so there would be a reason for them to be there
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The saddest thing about King meeting Pete and Dragon as they are now is there would be a moment of this :o followed by this :x then this :| and finally this :roll: . King is beyond them now. Everything Pete did, as horrible as it was back then was undone then Kitsune did his own thing. Sure it would be nice for King to come out of retirement and go kick supernatural butt with Tarot and the rest but aside from one of his kids being in danger there is no reason for him to go. If this was a tv show this would be when he gets written off completely and never seen again except for a few special guest appearances. Then he would be replaced with some young thing to revitalize the series. Now would be a good time to bring Res into the fray on a permanent basis but that would be hard to justify.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

It’s a mild shame, as while I love King, the camping trip I sadly think showed you can’t really force King into stuff and make him work, at least not right now. And considering Fox is hanging out with Mungo, it’s honestly getting harder to find moments those two will hang out lately, and that’s really been a shame... I wonder if King would have more to do if Bailey got a bit more development. She’s never been a bad character... but am I alone in thinking she always felt like a character that needs one or two more things to her to make her feel fully developed?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The irony is that Kings development is that it’s completely natural. What happens when you get married and have kids? You leave behind old friends and your family becomes your entire world. Mungo was the best thing that could have happened for Fox and in a way proves my earlier point. King got written off and replaced.
Baileys character is interesting because she came in as a love interest for King, they got married, she gets kidnapped, they have kids. Her entire point in the comic was a vehicle and, for a lack of a better word, accessory for King. Everything she did was to enchance King without coming into her own. In a strange way though Kings story has ended Bailey has never begun.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I don't really understand all the boo-hooing going on here. Bailey and King will fit wonderfully in a slice of life comic, which just happens to be the main theme of this comic. :D Honestly, the supernatural story-line was kind of overshadowing the simpler stories, and King well overtook Peanut and Grape in terms of time spent developing character, so if this is how we return to the roots of Housepets! then I am all for it =3
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Personally, I really don't see what the problem with King is.
King has had his story: he got turned into a corgi, he fell in love with someone, which led him to decide to spend the rest of his life as a dog.
And now he has had pups with the one he loves, and he currently couldn't be happier with his family.
It could also be seen as a redemption story, for when he kidnapped pets for PETA.

He struggled to find happiness, and he found it. He has a friend in Fox (and probably others). He has a beloved wife in Bailey. And now he has a family.
If you ask me, it's just a perfect conclusion to his story. :)

And now, Rick will probably focus on developing other characters while still showing King in slice-of-life strips with his family.
After all, Housepets isn't just about King. It has never been about just one or two characters.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

King's story is finished, but he's still a very powerful secondary character in the grand scheme of the comic. He's got a family, a good life and tons of life experience, probably almost as much as Tarot.

They'll come crying to King and Bailey for help. Eventually. but until then, just enjoy the pups x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gameb18oy wrote:I do admit his potential is being wasted though, there was next to no reason why he went on the camping trip
How Doylist of you. There's plenty of Watsonian reasons for him to be there.
Obbl wrote:I don't really understand all the boo-hooing going on here. Bailey and King will fit wonderfully in a slice of life comic, which just happens to be the main theme of this comic.
So much agreement here.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... and the puppies are always available when we need a massive in fusion of nuclear-level cuteness into the saga!

Yeah, I found the injection of the King Family into the camping story a bit puzzling, mainly because they vanished after Bailey and Gale had their confrontation in the tent. Struck me as a bit of a loose thread. But I'm confident the King crew will be back or Bailey may even bet drawn into something on her own. Rick - and the rest of us - just like them too much.

The King-Fox relationship will also endure but where to take it is the question - poor Fox is just a kitten's yarn ball of social and work related loose ends. Too many non-King possibilities with our melancholy husky.

... and, with a cast over a hundred, not everybody gets stage time in a single arc (unless it's THIS one!).
Last edited by NHWestoN on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I’m holding out hopes that Olive will go to college like her dad. ^w^ After all, she is probably included in the animal rights initiative with the rest of her family. And before we go saying King’s story is over, let’s not forget that he has to find a job. ;)
_____

To Fox’s credit, Sasha didn’t spend all her time in the showers.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...Maybe Olive will run into Gale's son there.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I will legit be upset if Pueblo goes the way of Marvin
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote: Honestly, the supernatural story-line was kind of overshadowing the simpler stories, and King well overtook Peanut and Grape in terms of time spent developing character, so if this is how we return to the roots of Housepets! then I am all for it =3
Hmm, yeah that might be a good way of viewing it, the new supernatural threat wouldn’t only really impact King this time, so there’s a good chance that it might allow for more characters than King to develop and get the spotlight. In spite of that though personally I think was more entertaining in mundane situations anyway, so it’s a little odd how little he’s been doing lately, even if I’m happy he’s happy, I do hope we see more arcs like his date with Bailey in the future. Might also explain some weakness in some of the most recent arcs, Rick didn’t have to focus as much on the other characters due to King getting the spotlight so often
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I like the slice-of-life arcs myself but I also wouldn't be opposed to seeing King and Bailey in those situations and maybe showing them parent their children.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Obbl wrote: Honestly, the supernatural story-line was kind of overshadowing the simpler stories, and King well overtook Peanut and Grape in terms of time spent developing character, so if this is how we return to the roots of Housepets! then I am all for it =3
Hmm, yeah that might be a good way of viewing it, the new supernatural threat wouldn’t only really impact King this time, so there’s a good chance that it might allow for more characters than King to develop and get the spotlight. In spite of that though personally I think was more entertaining in mundane situations anyway, so it’s a little odd how little he’s been doing lately, even if I’m happy he’s happy, I do hope we see more arcs like his date with Bailey in the future. Might also explain some weakness in some of the most recent arcs, Rick didn’t have to focus as much on the other characters due to King getting the spotlight so often
So to summarize, King's story is done (like i said earlier) and the comic goes back to basically what's it's always been. Aside from Year 7 and Year 8 and Year 10 the comic has been Slice of Life with the supernatural/fantasy stories taking place at the beginning and/or end of each year. Peanut and Grape's characters never being developed had nothing to do with King. As far as quantity goes, Peanut and Grape still have been seen more times than King. It's not King's fault that they were not developed more than they have.

When has this comic ever really been mundane aside from Year 1? Even without King, you have stories with ghosts, kidnappings, celebrity authors, different dimensions, gods and monsters, a spa on the back of a truck, the wolves in general, crazy water gun fights, buddy cop drama, African princes, gargoyles, etc. Tiger blew up a TV station.
I mean there have been a few like the state fair or Bailey's pregnancy, or "Maternal Instinct", and of course Bailey and King's date which was about as mundane as they come.

Slice of Life by definition is absurd melodrama that borders on ridiculous. So honestly King's story as weird and fantastic as it was still qualified because of the sheer absurdity of it all. Fantasy and Slice of Life go hand in hand. Fruit Basket's is a perfect example of that. True it got out of hand by the time we came to Heaven's Not enough or 5000 BC and again Temple Crashers but beyond that all of King's story still qualifies as Slice of Life.

I'm not even disagreeing with anyone because I think we all said the exact same things. At this point I forgot what the point of this conversation was. I think it was King's storyline is done, happily ever after, and I feel like there is no point on focusing on him anymore because his life is so mundane. Fox has moved on, everyone else has moved on and he and his family are in the void. What's left? Thirty-something year old man gets job! Call the Pulitzer Prize Board, I think we have a winner. :roll:
Soerix wrote:Personally, I really don't see what the problem with King is.
King has had his story: he got turned into a corgi, he fell in love with someone, which led him to decide to spend the rest of his life as a dog.
And now he has had pups with the one he loves, and he currently couldn't be happier with his family.
It could also be seen as a redemption story, for when he kidnapped pets for PETA.

He struggled to find happiness, and he found it. He has a friend in Fox (and probably others). He has a beloved wife in Bailey. And now he has a family.
If you ask me, it's just a perfect conclusion to his story. :)

And now, Rick will probably focus on developing other characters while still showing King in slice-of-life strips with his family.
After all, Housepets isn't just about King. It has never been about just one or two characters.
The problem is that King's story ended and that's sad. It's like when tv show gets cancelled or a book series comes to an end. It's sad. Even though he's there he's not really there. He's the shell of what he once was. He even admitted it too, that the old me is dead. The part of him that was Joel is gone and that's sad.
But thanks for summarizing everything I said. :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm really digging the infinite canvas thing going on in this one. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hey Sleet. Feel it’s been awhile since I last saw you on so nice to have you back if it’s not just me being oblivious and missing you
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Rook looks like he's having the time of his life. I've never seen the little corgsky so lively.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

And even though Ace is clearly awake we still can't see her eyes. :lol:

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that is supposed to be a running gag there.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Bino's expression is a bit hard to read. He's probably just startled because someone's barging in, though he could be anywhere from embarrassed to be caught in a snuggle bath to being scared of Duchess.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm gonna go with embarrassment because it is cute of Bino to be embarrassed.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

have you guys forgotten the cardboard censor bars? he's not wearing a collar OF COURSE it's embarrassment.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.