2019/01/07 - Up To Code

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/01/07 - Up To Code

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:So does Keene have a lawyer in there somewhere also lounging about since he said King should question his lawyer? That would be kind of funny but also weird having one human among a bunch of pets.
I would not be against the lawyer character (he’s appeared before) being one of the first humans transformed if Rick wants to follow up on that joke with the lawyer + make him not seem out of place. Rick made him kinda funny by suggesting he’s pretty incompetent at his job.
"suggesting?"

Honestly though, we haven't seen Mr. London since King's wedding. Either Keene fired him or the firm did. I doubt we'll see him again at least as a lawyer.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey I wouldn't mind seeing him back and down on his luck and having to walk around in a hot dog costume. :mrgreen:
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Macsen wrote:King. MST3K Mantra.
I would argue against that being applied to Houespets! in general, but in this specific case the basic premise wouldn't even fit. To the character King it is not "just a show", it's his real life.
Zesortinge wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:The idea that there is a “basement” in the spa was Most likely a joke but it could play into the cliffhanger of Jess’s basement fairly well. If Rick wanted to wrap this entire spa saga up he could have the pets use the tunnels and escape. Then they find a underground colony of moles and groundhogs who try to sacrifice Keene to their god. Twist, it isn’t Zach. :D
That is a post I would expect to appear on wild mass guessing.

Also, it could also be done with the technology the nerds thought were used for the temple.
The nerds were speculating and were incorrect about the temple. Star Trek isn't real and futuristic technology like that doesn't exist, unlike practicalities like magic(k) and the supernatural. Wait, I've said too much.
Bandit1990 wrote:Keene: "Now should anyone require me, I'm staying in penthouse A"

King: "How...wha..." *twitch*

:lol:

Most pet related structures seem to have larger interior dimensions. See the interiors of Joey's & Sasha's Doghouses.
It's possible that characters are always sitting or that doghouses are simply larger in general (both interior and exterior dimensions) than in our world as intelligent pets have more to do (and are taller). Than again, it could be physics taking a backseat to storytelling.
fenrirblack wrote:
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN wrote: :?:Wait Is That A Straw In can Of Fanta?"
It’s not Fanta, it’s Fonto. :)
Keene's a multi-billionaire ferret. I think he can afford name-brand orange soda. It's probably imported from Germany or something.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Hey I wouldn't mind seeing him back and down on his luck and having to walk around in a hot dog costume. :mrgreen:
That's... a very specific fantasy.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hey Wallace, there’s a pretty good chance Jessica brought those chips herself, in which case, makes more sense why she got the off brand... also, anyone notice how she subtly brought up that the cult has their own holiday in place of Christmas? You think it all started because Zac was the first person to bring them gifts or something? ...You know that sadly could be the case
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I never questioned why Jessica would have off-brand chips, just Keene's purchasing habits and whether the chip's name was supposed to be a separate joke. With an income of whatever portion of Zach's allowance he dotes on her, I expect Jessica to get the cheapest products available. Openermas isn't exactly new. Custom Ink introduced it with all the subtlety of a truck driving through a bank wall.
As for its origins, it derived from Opener's Mass going from 2011 to 2012 and Zach wasn't exactly involved in that other than already being worshiped.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Champion Wallace wrote:As for its origins, it derived from Opener's Mass going from 2011 to 2012 and Zach wasn't exactly involved in that other than already being worshiped.
I love the implication that the ferals are unaware enough of human culture that Christmas isn't a well-known holiday, yet a Catholic "mass" is somehow enough on their radar that they can use the word for their own similar function and even manage to shorten it in the same way we did :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I might be, Obbi, that the raccoons are a bit more aware of human culture than other ferals since they live heavily off human trash and detritus, even to the point of entering human dwellings and buildings. In the first year of the comic, there's a Christmas "montage" where Daisy presents a raccoon (Falstaff?) with a sack of trash and the critter wishes her a "Merry Christmas". Over the years, the refraction of human practices, devices, and beliefs through feral understanding (sic?) has been a continuing source of both humor and narrative. While anxiety over "animal control" is always there, the wild ones seen to find humans more intriguing than threatening.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:I never questioned why Jessica would have off-brand chips, just Keene's purchasing habits and whether the chip's name was supposed to be a separate joke. With an income of whatever portion of Zach's allowance he dotes on her, I expect Jessica to get the cheapest products available. ]
One way to look at it is that Keene bought the snacks and they a special brand that is actually more expensive than then the regular kind. Like getting chips from Whole Foods or something. Or youre right and Jess brought them but there is no guarantee that she paid for them instead of getting them from the trash but she’s probably better than that but not really. I doubt the chips name was a joke or anything more than a move to avoid copyright. Writers sometimes make up brands for the sake of creativity, I do it all the time because it makes the world I’m creating more Unique.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We've seen Doritas before. Pete was snacking on them during Bailey and Tarot's avatar battle.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:I might be, Obbi, that the raccoons are a bit more aware of human culture than other ferals since they live heavily off human trash and detritus, even to the point of entering human dwellings and buildings. In the first year of the comic, there's a Christmas "montage" where Daisy presents a raccoon (Falstaff?) with a sack of trash and the critter wishes her a "Merry Christmas". Over the years, the refraction of human practices, devices, and beliefs through feral understanding (sic?) has been a continuing source of both humor and narrative. While anxiety over "animal control" is always there, the wild ones seen to find humans more intriguing than threatening.
It’s actually a little bizarre how intelligent the wild animals are. The wolves and Gale alone justify the Milton’s integration program, but Jessica would probably would do good as well if they offered them a chance, and can you imagine how far the opener of ways cult would spread if Custom Ink could reach out beyond the forest? The joke might not be as stale if Rick let it literally expand
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Except for the Falstaff-Truc routine, the ferals are a pretty sharp crew - have to be, I guess, since their world is more Darwinian than Babylon Gardens.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not to mention, one false move and you could be someone else's dinner if you are unlucky enough.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Champion Wallace wrote:It's possible that characters are always sitting or that doghouses are simply larger in general (both interior and exterior dimensions) than in our world as intelligent pets have more to do (and are taller). Than again, it could be physics taking a backseat to storytelling.
Cartoon doghouses having extra space has a long history.

Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:It's possible that characters are always sitting or that doghouses are simply larger in general (both interior and exterior dimensions) than in our world as intelligent pets have more to do (and are taller). Than again, it could be physics taking a backseat to storytelling.
Cartoon doghouses having extra space has a long history.

Not the point of this, but dang, original design snoopy is adorable
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

And, a small footnote, as some of the first characters in Housepets would slowly vanish from Babylon Gardens, three of the Peanuts original gang seen here (Patty, Violet, and Shermy) also faded over the next several years .... characters come, characters go.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:And, a small footnote, as some of the first characters in Housepets would slowly vanish from Babylon Gardens, three of the Peanuts original gang seen here (Patty, Violet, and Shermy) also faded over the next several years .... characters come, characters go.
Anyone think it be fun if for a gag if the next time the Spot comics come up, they suddenly look like the Peanuts comics instead of superheroes? Even if it isn’t a good arc, I’d give Rick a round of applause for realizing there is an obvious joke he’s been avoiding with one of his main character’s names and one of their constant activities
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

If Joey wasn’t such a nerd he could strap on his goggles, climb on his doghouse, and fly around fighting the Red Baron.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:If Joey wasn’t such a nerd he could strap on his goggles, climb on his doghouse, and fly around fighting the Red Baron.
... I think you mean, if he was a bigger nerd. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did that once as a puppy. Wonder if there’s a parallel to the peanuts comics considering superhero comics and Alvin and the chipmunks equivalents exist in Housepets.