Title Text: bleh, im ded, bleh

It's so good to see Coyote and Crow still palling around. :3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Gbr23

Re: 2019/01/21 - Lunch Is Served

Post by Gbr23 »

Ok Max, as I see you have to options: either run, or run faster
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Starving animals, so rude.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

Sorry Coyote, I think the most you'll get is a piece of his ear 8-)
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Yeah, I’m still seeing quite a bit of the Aristocats and Oliver and Company in this.

That’s disappointing that random characters no longer get names. :cry:
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I'm pretty sure random characters have rarely gotten names :?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

"Denizens of Heaven" and "Woodland Creatures" are examples of far less specificity.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

woodland critters for example. And the falcon if i remember. :3

Bruno isn't so random. she shows up time from time.

Also: Ack! Max face-first in the dirt in desperate times D:
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

So great to see Max's brash confidence has been there from way early on :D
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Yeah, I’m still seeing quite a bit of the Aristocats and Oliver and Company in this.

Um, Crow can actually be a name, but I don’t think we want anyone in flashback land to stay around, brings up the question of where they have been. Is a mild shame though, while birds are shown to be one of the groups that can have intelligent beings amongst their ranks, the closest we get it a bird that sticks around is that chicken. Wouldn’t be surprised if they get one more strip though, the designs are a little too good for Rick to only use once
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

What are the chances that coyote is related to Daryl?
bjchan95 wrote:Sorry Coyote, I think the most you'll get is a piece of his ear 8-)
This takes place before Housepets Babies! And he still has his ear intact then so nothing is going to happen to it here.
fenrirblack wrote:Yeah, I’m still seeing quite a bit of the Aristocats and Oliver and Company in this.
I’d say Lion King.
The cape comes with the promotion.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Whelp looks like its time for Maxwell to run.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I was wondering if we'd ever see coyotes in the comic. There certainly doesn't seem to be any around Babylon Gardens
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

This actually might be where Max got one of his ears bitten off.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Dissension wrote:"Denizens of Heaven" and "Woodland Creatures" are examples of far less specificity.
I was thinking along the lines of characters Like Skip, or Shardul, or Silverbolt. Bruno we saw three times. Gambit three and Tarmac four times. Jasper three times.
Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Um, Crow can actually be a name, but I don’t think we want anyone in flashback land to stay around, brings up the question of where they have been. Is a mild shame though, while birds are shown to be one of the groups that can have intelligent beings amongst their ranks, the closest we get it a bird that sticks around is that chicken. Wouldn’t be surprised if they get one more strip though, the designs are a little too good for Rick to only use once
Unless he’s really a raven I don’t think it matters. We’ve haven’t seen the chicken in five years (three times total).
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Lying down, a road for a bed,
grifting away, just like he’s dead.
Maybe he fell and hit his head;
a coyote sniffed and Maxie said:-
“Go away, Dog, I’m working here;
looking for pity to bring me cheer;
Where there’s a road, humans are near
so please go away before they appear.”
Our little friend, out to be lunch,
finds Coyotes as the worst of the bunch.
Are there Humans here? He has a hunch.
Does the guy like him? Not a whole bunch.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Ruska

Post by Ruska »

Gameb18oy wrote:

What about Trinket the magpie? Cory’s scam artist accomplice. Granted we haven’t seen her in quite some time, almost 3 years. The last few times we’ve seen Cory he’s been alone, and the last time Trinket was seen she was being harassed by a baby raccoon.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

No names? Well, patience, gang, since they're about to share a meal, I assume they'll first introduce themselves to the main course. Just good manners, y'know.
Arel_Grim

Post by Arel_Grim »

Saturn381 wrote:This actually might be where Max got one of his ears bitten off.
Ya i was thinking the same thing
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

Arel_Grim wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:This actually might be where Max got one of his ears bitten off.
My first thought too, until I remembered:

So in the interest of continuity, it shouldn't happen here.
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Max watch out they're gonna eat you
oh my god he airpods in he cant hear us
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Birds don't seem to fare well in Rick's world. They're not recurring characters or don't survive long.... :(
Last edited by NHWestoN on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Bill in OK wrote:
Arel_Grim wrote:
My first thought too, until I remembered:

I feel like we should appreciate the fact that even after he was adopted he still managed to find himself in these kind of situations. Normally you learn basic survival skills when you are a nomad. Somehow Max missed that. Another part of me blames Jeff.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Can we please stop badmouthing Jeff? If anything, he should be commended for being able to even deal with Max on top of managing Bino.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Not to mention throwing Max a shrimp broil …..
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

sounds like one of those well meaning but clueless parents who thinks buying things is the correct answer to everything and just enables terrible habits through lack of attention...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...or one who masks child abuse with festivities.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

one should not immediately ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. there are a lot more idiots out there than there are jerks.
Last edited by Buster on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I think it’s been said before, the original mr. Milton built Babylon Gardens as a place with pets in mind, and it’s implied even if not outright said that most of the pet owners are animal lovers, particularly dog lovers considering how many are around. Sasha’s owner is the one exception, and even then, he’s not physically abusive from what we can tell. And last defense for Jeff, you’re willing to argue the guy who punched a PETA employee just for the fact he’s from PETA doesn’t care about his pets? Pass me that orange soda you’re drinking if you still do
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

There's probably a pretty lucrative grant out there somewhere for the statistical research (on idiots vs jerks) but we're probably drifting off topic... ;)
Last edited by NHWestoN on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:There's probably a pretty lucrative grant out there somewhere for the statistical research, but we're probably drifting off topic... ;)
Statistical research of what?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

see edit above.....
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, so the poor kitten Maxwell wasn't accepted to be the cutest photo model... :( Poor him, he risked a lot, and hasn't been a good idea to play dead... :? Nasty wild animals, go away! :x Or better, run, Max! :o It's still not their lunch day... Good that there aren't also vultures there. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh, now that's a wild idea, Cesco! Bring in a vulture character! You know, Rick could probably bring a vulture into the cast and even draw a vulture who'd be cute, loveable, and just slightly neurotic.... ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If there is a vulture character, then I hope that it can eat something else rather than what a vulture usually eats...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:I think it’s been said before, the original mr. Milton built Babylon Gardens as a place with pets in mind, and it’s implied even if not outright said that most of the pet owners are animal lovers, particularly dog lovers considering how many are around. Sasha’s owner is the one exception, and even then, he’s not physically abusive from what we can tell. And last defense for Jeff, you’re willing to argue the guy who punched a PETA employee just for the fact he’s from PETA doesn’t care about his pets? Pass me that orange soda you’re drinking if you still do
I don’t think anyone is saying that Jeff doesn’t care about his pets, he’s just clueless. We know he cares from the phone conversation. We know he cares from the fact that he was smart enough to bribe Max to get rid of all his catnip. We know he cares because at some point he found Max and brought him home. The problem with Jeff is not that it’s just Jeff but the society. Hang on while I get back on my soap box. Ahem, in this society pets are not seen as equal beings therefore are treated in such a manner that is fitting to their standing. Take my earlier comment, Max was kiddnapped by a stranger. Why because Jeff didn’t think it important enough to explain to Max that you don’t go off with randos who offer treats. If Max was human then more than likely he would have had that explained to him by a figure of authority. Ralph explained it to the dogs but that was because he was a dog himself. In all honesty we don’t know if it was Ralph’s own judgement to explain that or was he persuaded by the police. My guess is the former. As an owner and parent people like Jeff should understand that their pets can and will come across situations that they are not able to handle. They are more complex and have a tendency to get into trouble. I applaud Jeff for stepping up and checking in on Max while he was at the spa. At some point he realized that his cat had a tendency to get into trouble and decided to do something about that. A little late but better than never. I think it all boils down to ignorance on the humans part. In their flawed little minds they see their pets like we see ours, we can leave them alone for hours thinking that they are not capible of getting into trouble because they are animals. I also think they don’t want to accept the fact that their pets are just as smart if not smarter than humans and as dangerous. Remember when the dogs destroyed half the neighborhood or that time they used a chain saw to cut down a tree to get to Grape. Or that time they opened a portal to Hell and unleashed unspeakable evil on the world. The humans don’t expect that kind of stuff and they don’t want to see it because it disrupts their precious mindset.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:I think it’s been said before, the original mr. Milton built Babylon Gardens as a place with pets in mind, and it’s implied even if not outright said that most of the pet owners are animal lovers, particularly dog lovers considering how many are around. Sasha’s owner is the one exception, and even then, he’s not physically abusive from what we can tell. And last defense for Jeff, you’re willing to argue the guy who punched a PETA employee just for the fact he’s from PETA doesn’t care about his pets? Pass me that orange soda you’re drinking if you still do
I don’t think anyone is saying that Jeff doesn’t care about his pets, he’s just clueless. We know he cares from the phone conversation. We know he cares from the fact that he was smart enough to bribe Max to get rid of all his catnip. We know he cares because at some point he found Max and brought him home. The problem with Jeff is not that it’s just Jeff but the society. Hang on while I get back on my soap box. Ahem, in this society pets are not seen as equal beings therefore are treated in such a manner that is fitting to their standing. Take my earlier comment, Max was kiddnapped by a stranger. Why because Jeff didn’t think it important enough to explain to Max that you don’t go off with randos who offer treats. If Max was human then more than likely he would have had that explained to him by a figure of authority. Ralph explained it to the dogs but that was because he was a dog himself. In all honesty we don’t know if it was Ralph’s own judgement to explain that or was he persuaded by the police. My guess is the former. As an owner and parent people like Jeff should understand that their pets can and will come across situations that they are not able to handle. They are more complex and have a tendency to get into trouble. I applaud Jeff for stepping up and checking in on Max while he was at the spa. At some point he realized that his cat had a tendency to get into trouble and decided to do something about that. A little late but better than never. I think it all boils down to ignorance on the humans part. In their flawed little minds they see their pets like we see ours, we can leave them alone for hours thinking that they are not capible of getting into trouble because they are animals. I also think they don’t want to accept the fact that their pets are just as smart if not smarter than humans and as dangerous. Remember when the dogs destroyed half the neighborhood or that time they used a chain saw to cut down a tree to get to Grape. Or that time they opened a portal to Hell and unleashed unspeakable evil on the world. The humans don’t expect that kind of stuff and they don’t want to see it because it disrupts their precious mindset.
You know, you sadly can’t say anything of these things with certainty as Rick doesn’t make it clear how the humans view the fantastical but not magical exploits of the pets, and they outright don’t know anything about the magic stuff. I like to think at least the sandwiches likely know about how smart their pets are though, I mean it be hard to miss how many books Peanut reads, plus considering Earl employs Itsuki, he’s well aware at least a few pets are smarter than him
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
You know, you sadly can’t say anything of these things with certainty as Rick doesn’t make it clear how the humans view the fantastical but not magical exploits of the pets, and they outright don’t know anything about the magic stuff. I like to think at least the sandwiches likely know about how smart their pets are though, I mean it be hard to miss how many books Peanut reads, plus considering Earl employs Itsuki, he’s well aware at least a few pets are smarter than him
Welcome to the magical world of literary criticism and literary theory. ;)

I don't mention the Sandwich's often because they are arguably the most sensible pet owners and people in the entire comic. Aside from Henry Milton himself, they have a better understanding of animal's true nature and capability than any other we've seen.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It's all well and good to have your own theories, but if your theory of one character is negative it can be very difficult for people who see that character in a positive light to constantly have to put up with your theories. Jeff has recently gotten a lot of pretty unwarranted hate, and now even the softer "he's just not very good at this owner thing" is perhaps coming a little too fresh off the wound to be received well. Please take that into consideration. =3