2019/01/30 - Freedom

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/01/30 - Freedom

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/01/30 - Freedom]
Title Text: ah the great outdoors

Every little kid thinks they have what it takes to make it in the real world so early. Precious, really.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/01/30 - Freedom

Post by Saturn381 »

And then he went back to the farm.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Aaaaaand we’re back at it again
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

"Ready to tackle the world on my own!"
No, max... No you were not ready...
Allons-y
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Well option one was sort of correct. So much for lurking in the shadows and I really thought Rufus would have had more of a role by now.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

Boy You Better Run Fool"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It’s a big life out there,
under the sun and stars;
without work, without care.
Freedom, life without bars.
Yes, a wide world indeed
without any protection;
a young Cat can’t proceed
without any connection.
Run my little one
run away from all harm
a new life has begun
right there, up on the farm
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Just a kitten and already got hungry fans, eh?
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Being vengeful doesn't really behoove an opportunistic hunter and scavenger. Your prey doesn't run from you if it's already dead. Coyote should really move on to different prey (or is there no other food available). Although, when I looked up their diet in our world, I found "Coyotes eat wild species, but they are known to eat... pets (mostly cats)", so I guess this isn't that unusual for a coyote to eat a kitten and it's really not that different than Max with the barn mice.
The cape comes with the promotion.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Just a kitten and already got hungry fans, eh? Where's mah bell?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:Being vengeful doesn't really behoove an opportunistic hunter and scavenger. Your prey doesn't run from you if it's already dead. Coyote should really move on to different prey (or is there no other food available). Although, when I looked up their diet in our world, I found "Coyotes eat wild species, but they are known to eat... pets (mostly cats)", so I guess this isn't that unusual for a coyote to eat a kitten and it's really not that different than Max with the barn mice.
We can't let my cats out at night because they will be eaten by coyotes. Revenge is a strange thing. It drives people to do reckless things as their minds succumb to the darkness in their hearts.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Well option one was sort of correct. So much for lurking in the shadows and I really thought Rufus would have had more of a role by now.
Got to admit, I’m puzzled by this as well, Rufus had more to do in the temple crashers arc than he did in this one so far. I mean, hopefully we at least see he saved Max multiple times, otherwise, good arc, but Rick would basically have failed to address the main reason we wanted this arc
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's almost like Maxwell has a little bit of Daffy Duck in him.

If he looked at us in the last panel with a "really? they are back?" panel, I would've believed it. the Coyote and Crow are starting to remind me of Elmer Fudd and Barnyard Dawg :3

Surprised he went back into the wild, though. It looks like this was probably one of the good reasons he isn't a fan of owners either since he's bad at making his keep it seems.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Welcome to the real world, Max. Looks promising at first, but gets nasty in a flash. Good luck not getting eaten this time.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

I wouldn't be surprised if Rufus appeared again.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

And, there goes Max's ear.....?
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Agreed, Zort. I think Max is going to give the Barn Cats a second chance. And Rufus and Coyote may yet have a second encounter. Did folks notice Rufus referred to him/her as "THE coyote", suggesting that there's only one about but he's sort of a farm fixture like the "resident" Fox, corn snake, or bluejay?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Bill in OK wrote:And, there goes Max's ear.....?
He still had an undamaged ear in the previous Housepets babies arc, which feels like it's set after this one because he was in Babylon Gardens in that one.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Frank

Post by Frank »

Cue the Benny Hill theme
fenrirblack wrote:Well option one was sort of correct. So much for lurking in the shadows and I really thought Rufus would have had more of a role by now.
well, considering the question he's answering is basically "what relationship do you have with Rufus", I'd say he could reappear any second
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Nope not ready yet :lol:
Gr8fulFox

Post by Gr8fulFox »

Argent wrote:
He still had an undamaged ear in the previous Housepets babies arc, which feels like it's set after this one because he was in Babylon Gardens in that one.
He just can't stay out of trouble, can he? Oh, well; at least it makes for plenty of future comic material :D
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

Argent wrote:
You're right, and I mentioned that here (which is the reason for the '?' in my post), so it may not be time. But I don't know how much continuity matters to the story.
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh poor Max. You are gonna make yourself look even more like a loser by trying to leave but not getting very far because the coyote can outsmart you and send you running back to the barn cats who will just love to rub this in your face.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hmmm, folks … are some of us thinking maybe Coyote bit a piece out of Max's ear? Oh, no! Then, maybe, having once had a taste of Maxwell - sorta like the crocodile and Captain Hook - the Coyote continues lurking about, eager to savor the rest of our dashing, neurotic feline??? yikes...… :o :shock:
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Oh poor Max. You are gonna make yourself look even more like a loser by trying to leave but not getting very far because the coyote can outsmart you and send you running back to the barn cats who will just love to rub this in your face.
UNLESS.... Max is channeling the spirit of the Roadrunner.

Expect to hear him say "MEEP MEEP!"
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Those two again. They were waiting for him, probably hungrier than three weeks before... :? Ah, Max, you always do the worst choices, and even since when you were a kitten. :P What's sure, is that the coyote won't bite neither one of his ears. ;) Will Rufus come again for rescuing? :D
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I wonder if Coyote Sam has lair (den) like Gale where she drags her prey back to finish the job.

I hope we see Rufus’s reaction when he learns Max left and Coyote Sam captures him. I want him to lower him lower his head then shake it in a exasperated manner before grabbing his shovel and saving Max.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wanna know how the crow and the coyote decide to split up their prey to eat it.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

fenrirblack wrote:I wonder if Coyote Sam has lair (den) like Gale where she drags her prey back to finish the job.
Seems impractical to me to drag living prey all the way back to your home before finishing the job. Seems a lot easier to end it quickly as soon as you catch it, no chance of it calling for help or squirming away.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I wanna know how the crow and the coyote decide to split up their prey to eat it.
While 50/50 is the most obvious and fair, no way a crow would be able to eat the same as a coyote. Coyote would have to wait longer for the Crow to finish its half. I know when ravens and wolves are together, the ravens are typically happy with the scraps, considering their much smaller size.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I wonder if Coyote Sam has lair (den) like Gale where she drags her prey back to finish the job.
Seems impractical to me to drag living prey all the way back to your home before finishing the job. Seems a lot easier to end it quickly as soon as you catch it, no chance of it calling for help or squirming away.
That makes sense but for the sake of plot would it be better if they prolonged Max's eventual death. I can see Coyote Sam holding Max down then going for the kill but we still have to make sure Rufus has enough time to find them. Again I am beginning to wonder what Rufus's point in this story is. So far he's saved Max once then proceeded to dump him with the barn cats. None of those things justifies a kiss.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, you just gotta wait for the rest of the story.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

True, obviously one expects Rufus to swoop in on a white horse and save Max and therefore develop a deeper bond with him because that would be the most senseible solution. But there is this little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying that this story is not quite what one would expect considering the hype.

Actually you know what a cool plot would be if Max convinced Coyote Sam and Crow to take him on as an assistant and helped them commit crimes, kind of tying back to Max’s scam artists thing. Then they try to attack the farm because Rufus hinted that they have a history (and it’s his job to protect the farm from ferals) and Rufus and Max’s bond develops that way.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How would Rufus and Max bond if Max convinced Coyote and Crow to go attack the farm? I would think that is something that Rufus wouldn't overlook.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

That is a very good picture you got Argent
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That is! Nice find, Argent. Thanks for the post.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:How would Rufus and Max bond if Max convinced Coyote and Crow to go attack the farm? I would think that is something that Rufus wouldn't overlook.
It wouldn’t be Max’s idea, he would more be like a double agent or simply swayed into aiding them. It would be Coyote and Crow’s idea to attack the farm but use Max to help. Then when they get to the farm Rufus steps up to either appeal to Max’s better nature or simply save him from Coyote Sam’s grasp.
Actually the double agent thing would be an interesting twist. If Max and Rufus planned for him to get captured so he can find out what those two are up to. The problem would be that Coyote Sam and Crow would actually be capable of executing a complex plot instead of just scavenging whatever they could find which is unlikely given what we’ve seen from them so far. Actually though it would be nice to see Max able to pull off at least one successful scam.

Another interesting twist would be if Max made up some crazy story to make himself look better since this is just him retelling what happened. Then Grape calls him out on it. :roll:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, I can see Grape plowing through a Max tall tale with a verbal bulldozer (it'ud be fun, though).
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

*reads the alt-text*

... Rick is a Night Elf confirmed.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

"It had been three weeks, and I decided the working life wasn't for me."
I know the feeling.