2019/02/04 - Ankle-O-Sore

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

Re: 2019/02/04 - Ankle-O-Sore

Post by D-Rock »

Well, one unique thing about Housepets legs is how it sort of "bells out" towards the back. That could be the only real hint of digitigrade legs until Rick decides to make a viewable skeletal structure.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

". . . . ."

:x
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote: How old do you think they are? Let’s say Max is roughly four in this chapter so we skip forward...let’s say he’s sixteen now. Even if Coyote Sam was eighteen then she would be thirty now. Yep, she would be old. ;)
Yes, the odds of another character popping up is .001% but it would be a interesting way for Max to get out of the ditch like if A gopher showed up or a friendly vulture.
interesting, but I’d prefer he keeps the character introductions low since this is an arc where it be hard to bring them back due to the time skip their designs would need. Plus don’t pretend you don’t expect Rufus is likely gonna save him if anyone.
D-Rock wrote:Well...
drawing_legs__definitely_not_exhaustive__by_rickgriffin_d9vsm3n-onlyhalf.jpg
Rick drew this a long time ago. It's only half, but it's the relevant half.
considering I remember talking about how odd Housepets leg anatomy is a while back, particularly the feet, I’m glad that this ref sheet shows that Rick himself thinks they look a little odd
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh we're gonna see Rufus again … lad's on a roll. Wonder which of the horses he'll come riding heroically in on? (No betting allowed on this site!)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: How old do you think they are? Let’s say Max is roughly four in this chapter so we skip forward...let’s say he’s sixteen now. Even if Coyote Sam was eighteen then she would be thirty now. Yep, she would be old. ;)
Yes, the odds of another character popping up is .001% but it would be a interesting way for Max to get out of the ditch like if A gopher showed up or a friendly vulture.
interesting, but I’d prefer he keeps the character introductions low since this is an arc where it be hard to bring them back due to the time skip their designs would need. Plus don’t pretend you don’t expect Rufus is likely gonna save him if anyone.
We know that Rufus is going to swoop in at some point but the problem is that Rick is not known for following any logical progression. We know he will have a role since that is the point of this chapter but the question remains right now, how does Max get out of the ditch? Normally I would say Rufus is going to drop down and carry Max out on his shoulders because that would be the sensible thing to do but knowing Rick's style he'll come in after a little while longer. Maybe not, who knows.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, given the current preoccupations with animal anatomy, we can be confident that whatever his devourers are plotting, Max will still "have a leg up on `em!" :oops: ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh my God so many lame puns. It HURTS!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

admitting de-feet already dayzee?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

If the ankle is hidden, than that would make it hard to say where it is in pets' legs. Therefor, I say we take the reverse approach. Instead of using the reference to determine if Max is holding his ankle or some other part of the leg, we assume that he is holding the location of his ankle and use that to update the reference.
GameCobra wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Pretty sure Rick hinted back in this comic that cats need to learn to land on their feet. And Max is around Grape's age in this comic x3 https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... llar-door/
First, I already brought that up and linked the strip in my first post on this topic. Second, I'd say it more than just hints at it since the Title Text states "...cats have to learn to land on their feet".
My bad. didn't see the link. People still asked about it afterwards, though. =P

Also, I recall being mentioned one time alt-text isn't always canon since it's mostly Rick's inner thoughts about the comic. Still might be canon, though. x3
It's hard to find official statements on the subject, but I think they are like Star Wars "Legends". Most of the time they align with cannon, but Rick Griffin reservers the right for them to not be cannon. Even if we can't trust that alt-text, in real life cats the righting reflex begins to appear at 3–4 weeks of age, and is perfected at 6–7 weeks. Kitten Grape looked to be older than 7 weeks (both human an pet time) when she failed to right herself falling into Stranger's house, so that stage of development might happen later in HP! cats.
The cape comes with the promotion.