2019/02/12 - Best Ending

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/02/12 - Best Ending

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/02/12 - Best Ending]
Title Text: watch out, if you die in a fanfic you die in real life in the fanfic

Leave it to the fans to come up with what they say is the better story path.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/02/12 - Best Ending

Post by Saturn381 »

I will say Peanut has improved on his drawing skills.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Thank you Peanut. Thank you.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Peanut knows how to tell the wrong story,
a tale of violence and vengeance, stark and gory,
ignoring the glares he’s getting from Grape;
thwarting the plan for Max’s story to take shape.
He’s too embarrassed to continue, it seems,
our Tuxedo cat of the larcenous schemes.
He doesn’t like to be reminded of that night
he relied on a Dog, in a ditch, out of sight.
Will he return into the storied past?
Will we see the first kiss at last?
Do we really need it now we see they’re close?
Will Max clam up now or become verbose?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Every story arc should end with Peanut doing his own comic version of How It Should've Ended.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I have several notes:

1. That is not quite the reaction I was expecting at this point. I was seriously expecting more tears from Grape and Peanut. Especially Peanut.
2. What is up with that picture? Is that supposed to be Peanut’s fanfiction?
3. Is the ellipsis a sign that there is indeed no more coyote or is Max lying about that and there is more of Coyote Sam but he doesn’t want to talk about it?
4. Is Max the one who wants this story to end or does Rick want it to end because he finally gave us the tender moment of Max and Rufus so everything else is redundant?
5. Max blushing about his moment with Rufus is so adorable. It’s so rare we see this side of him.
6. The alt-text makes like no sense. I mean, huh?
7. I do have to agree with Peanut about there needing to be some kind of final confrontation with Coyote Sam. The concept of her simply running off and never showing back up again seems weak and monotonous. It would make more sense for her to backtrack to the farm knowing that Max would most likely return there seeking Rufus’s protection. Plus they were in the hole all night so she would have plenty of time.
8. I feel like we need more Rufus and Max having a father/son moment. That was beautiful.
9. Wait a minute, if that is Peanut’s fanfiction, how does he know that is what Coyote Sam looks like?
10. I still love how embarrassed Max is about his time with Rufus. So much that he just wants to end the story and never mention it again.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

It looks like they're standing in front of a backdrop, so it's a comic of the stage version of the "improved" story? :D

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

leinglo wrote:Every story arc should end with Peanut doing his own comic version of How It Should've Ended.
It's cute, i'll give it that. I like how he drew Max and Rufus like a father and son duo x3

However, he's being rude right now! Look at Grape's serious face! I think she's taking Maxie's story seriously! D:
fenrirblack wrote:I have several notes:

1. That is not quite the reaction I was expecting at this point. I was seriously expecting more tears from Grape and Peanut. Especially Peanut.
2. What is up with that picture? Is that supposed to be Peanut’s fanfiction?
3. Is the ellipsis a sign that there is indeed no more coyote or is Max lying about that and there is more of Coyote Sam but he doesn’t want to talk about it?
4. Is Max the one who wants this story to end or does Rick want it to end because he finally gave us the tender moment of Max and Rufus so everything else is redundant?
5. Max blushing about his moment with Rufus is so adorable. It’s so rare we see this side of him.
6. The alt-text makes like no sense. I mean, huh?
7. I do have to agree with Peanut about there needing to be some kind of final confrontation with Coyote Sam. The concept of her simply running off and never showing back up again seems weak and monotonous. It would make more sense for her to backtrack to the farm knowing that Max would most likely return there seeking Rufus’s protection. Plus they were in the hole all night so she would have plenty of time.
8. I feel like we need more Rufus and Max having a father/son moment. That was beautiful.
9. Wait a minute, if that is Peanut’s fanfiction, how does he know that is what Coyote Sam looks like?
10. I still love how embarrassed Max is about his time with Rufus. So much that he just wants to end the story and never mention it again.
I'll try to answer these:
1. It's likely done for comedic purposes, but it could also be translated that he's somehow growing bored of the story.
2. Yes, but even funnier - where did he get the paper? they are naked! :3
3. He's trying to fast forward the story.
4. Preeeety sure it's Max that wants to end it. Not sure about Rick. =P
5. Indeed.
6. It's a matrix quote.
7. Seems the Coyote and Crow honestly don't think people could hide in the ditch. It's also possible they finally gave up on Max. I know it's established they were persistent, but it might've worn off now.
8. I think Rufus is nice for flashbacks at this point, but i'm super happy we got to hear his backstory more with Max, who i never expected.
9. Probably based off of Max's description.
10. Maybe so, but something tells me Grape wants to hear more - but in a more serious tone and less teasing. <3

I'm actually curious how Fido and Sabrina are enjoying the story myself, but I would love to hear Grape's opinion.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

1. That is not quite the reaction I was expecting at this point. I was seriously expecting more tears from Grape and Peanut. Especially Peanut. Grape already knows the story, and Peanut is one to take things in stride.
2. What is up with that picture? Is that supposed to be Peanut’s fanfiction? Yup. :lol:
3. Is the ellipsis a sign that there is indeed no more coyote or is Max lying about that and there is more of Coyote Sam but he doesn’t want to talk about it? I'm veering towards no more coyote. Probably taken aback by Peanut's insistence even if it doesn't happen.
4. Is Max the one who wants this story to end or does Rick want it to end because he finally gave us the tender moment of Max and Rufus so everything else is redundant? Maybe. ;)
5. Max blushing about his moment with Rufus is so adorable. It’s so rare we see this side of him. Definitely!
6. The alt-text makes like no sense. I mean, huh? Movie reference, I think, though a trope that's been done elsewhere. Die in the fictional world, die in real life.
7. I do have to agree with Peanut about there needing to be some kind of final confrontation with Coyote Sam. The concept of her simply running off and never showing back up again seems weak and monotonous. It would make more sense for her to backtrack to the farm knowing that Max would most likely return there seeking Rufus’s protection. Plus they were in the hole all night so she would have plenty of time. Reality is often disappointing.
8. I feel like we need more Rufus and Max having a father/son moment. That was beautiful. I would not be opposed to that. :D
9. Wait a minute, if that is Peanut’s fanfiction, how does he know that is what Coyote Sam looks like? ...maybe generic coyote coat?
10. I still love how embarrassed Max is about his time with Rufus. So much that he just wants to end the story and never mention it again. Past in the past type of guy. Plus, it does go against his tough feral reputation. :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Actually, We never got a confirmation that Grape heard the story before - just that she thought it was really sweet. It either being the kiss or the story.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:

1. That is not quite the reaction I was expecting at this point. I was seriously expecting more tears from Grape and Peanut. Especially Peanut. Grape already knows the story, and Peanut is one to take things in stride.
Someone should be crying. How does Grape already know the story? She was the one who asked about it.
2. What is up with that picture? Is that supposed to be Peanut’s fanfiction? Yup. :lol:
What is up with that blackness?
3. Is the ellipsis a sign that there is indeed no more coyote or is Max lying about that and there is more of Coyote Sam but he doesn’t want to talk about it? I'm veering towards no more coyote. Probably taken aback by Peanut's insistence even if it doesn't happen.
That’s disappointing and I don’t trust Max. After that moment I’m sure he’s hiding something. If he is Grape will fish it out of him. Or Sabrina.
4. Is Max the one who wants this story to end or does Rick want it to end because he finally gave us the tender moment of Max and Rufus so everything else is redundant? Maybe. ;)
:roll:
5. Max blushing about his moment with Rufus is so adorable. It’s so rare we see this side of him. Definitely!
6. The alt-text makes like no sense. I mean, huh? Movie reference, I think, though a trope that's been done elsewhere. Die in the fictional world, die in real life.
I get the movie reference but the wording is confusing and nonsensical.
7. I do have to agree with Peanut about there needing to be some kind of final confrontation with Coyote Sam. The concept of her simply running off and never showing back up again seems weak and monotonous. It would make more sense for her to backtrack to the farm knowing that Max would most likely return there seeking Rufus’s protection. Plus they were in the hole all night so she would have plenty of time. Reality is often disappointing.
True. :(
8. I feel like we need more Rufus and Max having a father/son moment. That was beautiful. I would not be opposed to that. :D
9. Wait a minute, if that is Peanut’s fanfiction, how does he know that is what Coyote Sam looks like? ...maybe generic coyote coat?
This will involve further research.
10. I still love how embarrassed Max is about his time with Rufus. So much that he just wants to end the story and never mention it again. Past in the past type of guy. Plus, it does go against his tough feral reputation. :P
Feral reputation? If Max was supposed to have any type of reputation I figured he would want it to be street smart alley cat which he does not have either. ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Andtheyalllivedhappilyeveraftertheend !!! Aw.......... !
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Now we know Uncle Reuben's farm was in Kansas it's confirmed that Babylon Gardens is 9 hours by car from Kansas, though people were assuming that anyway. If you take it at face value what would "you die in real life in the fanfic" mean?
fenrirblack wrote:2. What is up with that picture? Is that supposed to be Peanut’s fanfiction?
it would seem Peanut drew up fan fiction after he got home.
fenrirblack wrote:3. Is the ellipsis a sign that there is indeed no more coyote or is Max lying about that and there is more of Coyote Sam but he doesn’t want to talk about it?
Max was momentarily at a loss for words because he didn't expect anyone to question the theatricality of his tragic childhood.
fenrirblack wrote:4. Is Max the one who wants this story to end or does Rick want it to end because he finally gave us the tender moment of Max and Rufus so everything else is redundant?
Rick Griffin had admitted his writing style is faster then average, though the latest citation I found was from 2015, so that might be out of date.
fenrirblack wrote:6. The alt-text makes like no sense. I mean, huh?
It's a reference to "If you die in the game you die for real" from the trailer for the 2006 horror movie Stay Alive, but modified to refer to Peanut's fan fiction.
fenrirblack wrote:7. I do have to agree with Peanut about there needing to be some kind of final confrontation with Coyote Sam. The concept of her simply running off and never showing back up again seems weak and monotonous. It would make more sense for her to backtrack to the farm knowing that Max would most likely return there seeking Rufus’s protection. Plus they were in the hole all night so she would have plenty of time.
Does it though? Coyote is her own character with her own motivations. Just because it would make a neat story doesn't mean it would make sense as this is Max's past and not something he's making up.
fenrirblack wrote:8. I feel like we need more Rufus and Max having a father/son moment. That was beautiful.
Then go back and reread the previous strips some more.
fenrirblack wrote:9. Wait a minute, if that is Peanut’s fanfiction, how does he know that is what Coyote Sam looks like?
For that matter, how do we know what Coyote looked like? Either Max said a lot more description that wasn't included because the comic's visuals would render them redundant, the previous strips were all in Peanut's imagination, or that's what coyotes looks like in HP! Kansas.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:8. I feel like we need more Rufus and Max having a father/son moment. That was beautiful.
I certainly hope you didn't mean for this to come off as hostile as it sounds. Please be careful of your phrasing.
fenrirblack wrote:Is the ellipsis a sign that there is indeed no more coyote or is Max lying about that and there is more of Coyote Sam but he doesn’t want to talk about it? ... I don’t trust Max. After that moment I’m sure he’s hiding something.
You're as bad as Peanut, you know that? :P

Peanut, you're adorable, but we're gonna have to smother you now :D
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:2. What is up with that picture? Is that supposed to be Peanut’s fanfiction?
it would seem Peanut drew up fan fiction after he got home.
Still weird.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:3. Is the ellipsis a sign that there is indeed no more coyote or is Max lying about that and there is more of Coyote Sam but he doesn’t want to talk about it?
Max was momentarily at a loss for words because he didn't expect anyone to question the theatricality of his tragic childhood.
He should have known better.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:4. Is Max the one who wants this story to end or does Rick want it to end because he finally gave us the tender moment of Max and Rufus so everything else is redundant?
Rick Griffin had admitted his writing style is faster then average, though the latest citation I found was from 2015, so that might be out of date.
Considering the amount of time other comics take to accomplish literally any kind of plot progression (years and years) I believe that but I feel like we are skipping through some major storytelling and that seems misguided. We had a very touching moment. I would not reject having a montage of Max and Rufus scenes to further build their relationship. That should be in Peanut's fanfic. Not to mention this is a deeper side of Max that we haven't seen before. I don't want to lose that.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:6. The alt-text makes like no sense. I mean, huh?
It's a reference to "If you die in the game you die for real" from the trailer for the 2006 horror movie Stay Alive, but modified to refer to Peanut's fan fiction.
I get the movie references but I don't get the "...in real life" at the end. Why is that there instead of just saying "watch out, if you die in fanfic you die in real life."?
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:7. I do have to agree with Peanut about there needing to be some kind of final confrontation with Coyote Sam. The concept of her simply running off and never showing back up again seems weak and monotonous. It would make more sense for her to backtrack to the farm knowing that Max would most likely return there seeking Rufus’s protection. Plus they were in the hole all night so she would have plenty of time.
Does it though? Coyote is her own character with her own motivations. Just because it would make a neat story doesn't mean it would make sense as this is Max's past and not something he's making up.
Coyote's motivations have been established that she wants Max. He was there for three weeks and she still found him that shows determination and motivation. Rick's reasoning for doing this seems to be only to allow for Peanut's fan fiction to have a point which almost seems that he is sacrificing story for a joke. If he wants to wrap this up then fine but more is lost than is gained. My professor talked about this once. He told us that every decision we make when writing involves choosing something over something else (I'm paraphrasing of course because this was a while back). Basically we when make one choice something else, another possibility, is lost and those choices have to be taken into consideration. It is true that in "reality" this is often the case. Take "Argo" for example, the real events were much less dramatic than the movie but the movie was more exciting because of the liberties the writers took. We never see Coyote Sam again, fine. But what is lost by making that choice?
Champion Wallace wrote:
It's not the same. The relationship building between them is something truly special and one we don't see a lot of in the comics.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:9. Wait a minute, if that is Peanut’s fanfiction, how does he know that is what Coyote Sam looks like?
For that matter, how do we know what Coyote looked like? Either Max said a lot more description that wasn't included because the comic's visuals would render them redundant, the previous strips were all in Peanut's imagination, or that's what coyotes looks like in HP! Kansas.
We know what Coyote Sam looks like because it is a flashback and we are seeing what really happened. Peanut knows what she looks like because it made the most logical sense when Rick drew it which renders the original question pointless I admit.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:6. The alt-text makes like no sense. I mean, huh? I get the movie references but I don't get the "...in real life" at the end. Why is that there instead of just saying "watch out, if you die in fanfic you die in real life."?
It's a style of joke. We expect the quote, but he alters to subvert expectations. Here, it limits the scope of where you die. If you die in the fanfic, you die in real life (but only in so far as "real life" is part of the fanfic, which essentially means you just die in the fanfic, thus destroying the whole point of referencing this quote in the first place, so why did I even reference it? because I can :P )
...or something like that
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's Peanut. Rule of Funny.

Take your pick. You can pick both.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:It's Peanut. Rule of Funny.

Take your pick. You can pick both.
Funny and dialogue are my greatest weaknesses. :roll:
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:Coyote's motivations have been established that she wants Max. He was there for three weeks and she still found him that shows determination and motivation. Rick's reasoning for doing this seems to be only to allow for Peanut's fan fiction to have a point which almost seems that he is sacrificing story for a joke. If he wants to wrap this up then fine but more is lost than is gained. My professor talked about this once. He told us that every decision we make when writing involves choosing something over something else (I'm paraphrasing of course because this was a while back). Basically we when make one choice something else, another possibility, is lost and those choices have to be taken into consideration. It is true that in "reality" this is often the case. Take "Argo" for example, the real events were much less dramatic than the movie but the movie was more exciting because of the liberties the writers took. We never see Coyote Sam again, fine. But what is lost by making that choice?
There's a couple possible ways to look at this, though. It's possible that the only plot Rick could come up with for ending the coyote story felt tired and cliche and he didn't feel like going there, so while she is a good plot device for driving Max to where he needs to go, there's no story that Rick felt needed wrapping up.
Alternatively, Rick may be purposefully using this as a way to examine our own "need" for closure in a story. Real life isn't always nice and neat like that, so why do we always feel like we need the story to wrap itself in a little bow for us to feel satisfied? If this is Rick's intent (which seems to be based on his joke poking fun at that), then it's certainly a valid artistic direction to take this and should be included in any artistic analysis of this work
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Obbl wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
I certainly hope you didn't mean for this to come off as hostile as it sounds. Please be careful of your phrasing.
I assure you it was not my intent to sound at all hostile.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Huh, well when you wrap it up like that I stand corrected, I guess this arc will end quickly after all. Not that I expected it to go on for too much longer. Y'all are much better at analyzing these comic than I am. I'm here for the cute animals.
And lol @ Peanut
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, Maxwell was about to "make a long story short" when Peanut interrupted his finish. So maybe there'll be more ... or more later ... or not. Rick does like to leave a couple loose ends hanging so he can pick up this part of the tapestry later (maybe years later - when did we last see the Barn Cats, hmmmm?)
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Bittersweet Scenario, the Coyote and Crow are in Heaven's Hot Spring telling their own version of this Story too.
Frank

Post by Frank »

It's been a while since someone has needed an itemized list
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

Coyote is just a part of the circle of life. I'm sure there will be more feral kittens.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

And then a certain Coyote arrives at the spa.

Also, i think Peanut might be melting.
Frank

Post by Frank »

You know, I just realized, Peanut's pills wore off!
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ehm, Peanut, that's the story telling of Maxwell when he was a kitten, not a fantasy one... :P If the coyote didn't show up anymore, is better so. You quickly made a draw of what you imagined, Peanut, good work. :) It ended well for the coyote. ;) But now, let's continue with the real story, thanks. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:Well, Maxwell was about to "make a long story short" when Peanut interrupted his finish. So maybe there'll be more ... or more later ... or not. Rick does like to leave a couple loose ends hanging so he can pick up this part of the tapestry later (maybe years later - when did we last see the Barn Cats, hmmmm?)
Hopefully we can wrap this up now instead of dangling random threads since there are so many as is. All we need to know is what Rufus does to ensure Max gets to Babylon Gardens. We don’t even need to see how Jeff adopted Max, just some closure for Max and Rufus. Possibly more tears. I’m more leaning towards wrapping this up. Max will be like “Anyway back to my story....” or Grape will be like “Anyway, ignore Peanut and finish the story Max. What happened next?” The story was never about the Coyote, she was just an element for drama and a vehicle to push Rufus and Max together. We’re just now getting to the real story which was why Grape asked about Rufus in the first place. It’s their relationship that truly matters.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Real life fanfiction. I'm impressed, Peanut!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Sleet wrote:Real life fanfiction. I'm impressed, Peanut!
Wouldn’t that be historical fiction?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this post, but is anybody annoyed at Peanut wanting the story to go HIS way then how it actually happened?
cglenn

Post by cglenn »

"Watch out, here comes the Peanut gallery edition."
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This whole arc is super cute and Rufus is such a great character plus embarrassed/blushy Max is just too adorable.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

IceKitsune wrote:This whole arc is super cute and Rufus is such a great character plus embarrassed/blushy Max is just too adorable.
Yes! Somebody understands! :D
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this post, but is anybody annoyed at Peanut wanting the story to go HIS way then how it actually happened?
Heh. Please see the first two lines of the poem(!) It's life. 60% of the time we never get closure.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Wise words from Bojack Horseman that I just remembered now that it was brought up “Closure is a made up thing by Steven Spielberg to sell movie tickets. It, like true love and the Munich Olympics, doesn’t exist in the real word. The only thing to do now is just to keep living forward.”
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Closure is for doors." Ed Locklear, Oxendine Science Building custodian.
aldenf

Post by aldenf »

First, lovely comic, always great to see Peanut get creative, glad he is over the effects fo those treats!. Also, about:

What is up with that blackness?

I think that final panel is supposed to be inside a barn! (or a room I guess?), especially with the line about farm animals
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, let’s see if I understand Peanut’s fanfic. Max and Rufus slept in the ditch. Coyote knowing that Rufus would come looking for him, decided to attack the farm while it was unguarded because it was all part of an ingenious plan all along! Gasp! She purposely chased Max to Rufus knowing that as a “cat-lover” or protective fatherly figure (whatever works) would take him in. Then it was only a matter of time before Max left the farm so she and Crow waited. Crow must have been the one who put the bell on Max to make them all think it was the mice. Anyway, all they had to do was chase Max away and wait for Rufus to leave then attack. But they didn’t count on Rufus finding Max so quickly so while Coyote Sam snuck into whatever room she’s in, Rufus shows up all Shovel Knight and confronts her. But then she grabs Max and holds him hostage forcing Rufus to drop his weapon. But Max being the ever spunky kitten that he is claws Coyote and escapes then Rufus does some fancy acrobatics, Grape his shovel and wallops Coyote. She’s laying on the ground unconscious with a cartoon style lump on her head. Together Max and Rufus drag her off the farm and throws her in a ditch. They return to the farm, happy ending, blah blah blah.