2019/02/15 - Another Memories Title

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: 2019/02/15 - Another Memories Title

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So just as I was thinking, the others aren't taking him seriously at all and just are mocking him. I had a feeling that this would end up happening though I was hoping i was wrong. Peanut doesn't care about the truth as he just wants a story and both Grape and Sabrina are acting like total shrews. It would be nice if someone put them in their place. I may have my issues with Tarot, but I really do think we need her now.
Okay, Grape egged him on to tell the story, but she’s honestly been (likely intentionally done) pretty separate from the teasing, the worst she did was respond to Peanut’s question about if Rufus would say “varmint” ... and being honest I think he would. That being said, I’m impressed by how Rick is managing an arc he only took on because he put too much attention on the Rufus kiss. It’s weird as I don’t think much has been added to Max technically, but it’s making me notice things I dismissed about him in older arcs. I kinda wonder where’s he gonna take this into the future strips, because realistically... you don’t just get over someone trampling over such an important memory in your past. This also could be a good springboard for some mild character development with new context for his response to Grape’s hunk chasing, and it be amazing if Peanut realizes how bad his immature response led to Max feeling as horrible as he did by the end
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:So just as I was thinking, the others aren't taking him seriously at all and just are mocking him. I had a feeling that this would end up happening though I was hoping i was wrong. Peanut doesn't care about the truth as he just wants a story and both Grape and Sabrina are acting like total shrews. It would be nice if someone put them in their place. I may have my issues with Tarot, but I really do think we need her now.
Okay, Grape egged him on to tell the story, but she’s honestly been (likely intentionally done) pretty separate from the teasing, the worst she did was respond to Peanut’s question about if Rufus would say “varmint” ... and being honest I think he would. That being said, I’m impressed by how Rick is managing an arc he only took on because he put too much attention on the Rufus kiss. It’s weird as I don’t think much has been added to Max technically, but it’s making me notice things I dismissed about him in older arcs. I kinda wonder where’s he gonna take this into the future strips, because realistically... you don’t just get over someone trampling over such an important memory in your past. This also could be a good springboard for some mild character development with new context for his response to Grape’s hunk chasing, and it be amazing if Peanut realizes how bad his immature response led to Max feeling as horrible as he did by the end
Not that I don’t agree with the idea that Grape, Sabrina, and Peanut are being unfair but they are just hearing Max tell this story so it’s different from us who can see a visual representation of what happened. We don’t really know exactly what Max is saying aside from a few lines and considering the carp that both Sabrina and Grape have been through, it’s hard for them not to think, “oh, well I was engaged to a hot prince and expelled from a utopian society and I haven’t seen my owner in eleven years” or “well at least you weren’t named princess periwinkle and left in the pound.”
Hopefully the end will see them reconciling and Peanut will give Max a picture of Kitten Max and Rufus in some scenic place
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Part of the course i found with the story telling is that most of Grape and Max's relation is done behind the scenes and Rick only shows the important stuff when it's related to the story. That being the case, though, it's characterization that ultimately draws in why we like the comic I find and hoping to see more, but the spa I feel is the best time to delve into this characterization for the pets since they are all here just trying to relax :3

Hit us with everything you got, Rick! :D
fenrirblack wrote:Cause Earl and Jill aren't planning on having kids apparently. I can't blame them because just between Peanut and Grape, that's already a handful. Not to mention all the weird stuff that happens there. I wouldn't want a kid growing up in that neighborhood. A teenager or preteen could thrive but an infant....no.
Oh, I think you are forgetting they don't mind Peanut having pups.

It's just a question of Grape. <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm reading the alternate text and I have to say it went from heartwarming to gross rather quickly. I am not the kind of person who wants to think about Rufus peeing on a letter or doing something else to get his scent on it. I hope that was a joke. Because if not, ewwwwwwww!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:It's amazing what the Post Office would let you mail back in the 2both century.... ;)

I don't think we're quite finished yet, folks. Max never gets to pour his heart out without it getting used for a badminton shuttlecock. Is Bino about to enter the epic?

...and, yeah, Rick can really do poignancy when he's a mind to. Kind of a tender day-after-Valentine's strip.
I’m hoping for a follow up scene where Max and Rufus hug before Max gets into the back of a car or truck and as it drives a away Max peers out through the window at Rufus as the vehicle disappears into the distance. Then Grape and Sabrina hopefully apologize for being mean and Max and Grape’s relationship reaches a new level of understanding. Maybe then Grape will tell her story about her previous owners and the time she was called Princess Periwinkle just to make Max feel better. We don’t leave the spa until spring.
You, know it’s a little sad only a few of us are calling out Peanut when he was the first one to get disrespectful. I mean if you really analyze his response... he basically is acting like Max is making his past up. Immaturity doesn’t excuse that, especially as the rudeness from other characters might not have had a chance to show up if he hadn’t interrupted because he wasn’t enjoying the resolution
Peanuts problem is that he’s oblivious. He’s always been like that. Whether with Tarot or Grape, I mean remember when Grape got super embarrassed during the Housepets Babies chapter and Peanut bursts in crying “Grapes name used to Princess Periwinkle.” Tarot made a comment about Peanuts “honesty” during their date in Gallifrax or his “normal” comment. This isn’t a new concept of Peanut not having a filter. Another reason for his outburst is that I don’t think he understands what Max went through not that he doesn’t believe Max. In Peanut’s mind Max’s story is like every other book he’s read and there is this separation from reality and fantasy in Peanuts mind. Why, because Peanut has no real reference of trauma. Think about what we know about Peanuts life. Not a lot but we know besides that he’s pretty much lived with the Sandwiches all his life and everything goes his way. He comes out on top even when things go south. Whether it be Dragon’s protection or his own dumb luck.

I think or want to believe that Peanut’s desire for a conclusion for the Coyote stems from his own personal method of processing the events Max is telling. I think making his fan fiction is a way for Peanut to process this so he can understand it. This is how his mind works. If it doesn’t fit in his notion of reality, something snaps. Like when I thought we weren’t going to get a real conclusion to the story and expressed my feelings towards that notion. I was scared sure, but more importantly it went against my understanding of storytelling and I couldn’t comprehend what was happening. I didn’t know it was just a brief interlude because I don’t have the previous experience with that concept. I think Peanut is the same way, he had a strong reaction because he couldn’t comprehend what was happening. He couldn’t understand that there was no more Coyote because it went against his reality or perception of reality however flawed it is.
Felixthestoat

Post by Felixthestoat »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Felixthestoat wrote:Max's father might have been his father, but Rufus was his daddy.
Wow, considering he got upset because Sabrina made the same assumption, I don’t think you realize how out of place that comment is
As someone else caught, it was a reworking of a quote from Guardians of the Galaxy 2. It was not intended to be a reference to a sexual or romantic thing.
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Max crying as he leaves the bath? :(

I assume Rufus left his scent with his pee... :?

Anyway, it's always pretty heartwarming to see Max's soft side behind his jerkish exterior ^^ Makes me wanna see Rufus meet Max again! :)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Tappy Too wrote:Kids are mean.
technically they would have to be the equivalent of 22 year olds by now, minimum, judging by how long the series has been going on, and how their aging has been described in the past actually. and that's assuming they were all less than a year old on page 1 and ignoring sabrina and fido being older than most of the others, both of which we know they're actually older than.

that's the problem with having your story sync with real time.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Are we even sure that Rick has the characters age in real time or does he just keep the story going with them the same age? Rick could be continuing the comic using the plot device "Not Allowed to Grow Up" like they are doing on Pokemon. Ash in real time would be 32 on April 1st.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

When it comes to age we know nothing. It’s one of the more frustrating things about the comic. I assume they are ageing but in human standards. They’re in their late teens like sixteen in my mind. They have matured and evolved so that’s something. Even mentally they act like teenagers.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

They age when Rick decides they need to age.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

D-Rock wrote:They age when Rick decides they need to age.
Precisely.

they do have a time frame, but it's at Rick's pace.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

There’s a difference between aging and growing up.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Of course, but this comic follows it's own time, like the simpsons. x3
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

In all reality It’s like a normal newspaper comic like marmaduke, Garfield, or the peanuts. Everyone is ageless and their is no real specific information.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm not sure but the only newspaper comic I knew of where the characters actually aged was "Gasoline Alley".
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:I'm not sure but the only newspaper comic I knew of where the characters actually aged was "Gasoline Alley".
I feel like I know another one, the fact they aged was basically the only thing I remember about it as well
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

fenrirblack wrote:In all reality It’s like a normal newspaper comic like marmaduke, Garfield, or the peanuts. Everyone is ageless and their is no real specific information.
I wouldn't say ageless. We do see Miles' and Lucretia's cubs grow up, and there is noticeable aging if you reference flashbacks. For instance, Poncho in Call o' th' Wild, or how Rufus looks younger in the current arc compared to Temple Crashers 2. Seems like supporting characters do age, it just doesn't happen in front of us often since they're rarely the focus of what's happening.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Postcard wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:In all reality It’s like a normal newspaper comic like marmaduke, Garfield, or the peanuts. Everyone is ageless and their is no real specific information.
I wouldn't say ageless. We do see Miles' and Lucretia's cubs grow up, and there is noticeable aging if you reference flashbacks. For instance, Poncho in Call o' th' Wild, or how Rufus looks younger in the current arc compared to Temple Crashers 2. Seems like supporting characters do age, it just doesn't happen in front of us often since they're rarely the focus of what's happening.
Ageless is more of a term I use to say "we don't know their exact age" and their age is an irrelevant factor because the characters do sometimes grow bigger like the wolf cubs. They do have an age but what that is doesn't seem relevant to the story because there is no indication of what it is and therefore is not used for plot or character development. Even the wolf cubs, we don't know the exact grade they are in. Miles says "I'm starting a substitute teaching position this semester, same school my kids are attending." Vague information that tells us nothing.
It is a strategy used so not to get bogged down with specific details that have to be kept up with and consequently effects flashbacks or when new information is added. Taking age out of a story frees up a lot of space to move around but sacrifices storylines such as birthdays or other age-related dilemmas such as Max's relationship with Sabrina which as I pointed out is questionable. It also takes out the factor of animal development such as asking at the question "at what age is a dog no longer considered a puppy in the HPU?" or "at what age can this animal learn to read and write in the HPU?" or "at what age can this animal have kids in the HPU?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

With the wolf cubs, I don't see them as aging actually as getting bigger. It's kind of hard to explain but if Rick doesn't use real life aging, that is how I tend to see it.

Thinking back to the beginning of the comic, if they all did age the same way animals do in real life, assuming they were 12 at the start, they would be close to 23 now and I don't see that happening. X3

Kitten Max I put at around 5 and since the meme he used was from 2007 and the comic started in 2008, that would be 7 years in one year. Actually I can imagine the wolf cubs might have looked like they aged 7 years without having done so but after that maybe they just stay the same age. This is really confusing. I'm not gonna bother anymore. All I know is that Maxwell was orphaned as a kitten and I will leave it there. Excuse me while I go laugh at the fact that Ash in Pokemon is 31 years old.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:With the wolf cubs, I don't see them as aging actually as getting bigger. It's kind of hard to explain but if Rick doesn't use real life aging, that is how I tend to see it.

Thinking back to the beginning of the comic, if they all did age the same way animals do in real life, assuming they were 12 at the start, they would be close to 23 now and I don't see that happening. X3

Kitten Max I put at around 5 and since the meme he used was from 2007 and the comic started in 2008, that would be 7 years in one year. Actually I can imagine the wolf cubs might have looked like they aged 7 years without having done so but after that maybe they just stay the same age. This is really confusing. I'm not gonna bother anymore. All I know is that Maxwell was orphaned as a kitten and I will leave it there. Excuse me while I go laugh at the fact that Ash in Pokemon is 31 years old.
Actually Ash would be roughly fifteen or sixteen. One year in Kanto, i would say Johto was less than a year. Hoenn and Sinnoh are probably a year a piece but Unova was only six months because he arrived during the spring but left before Fall because Deerling was still green. Kalos was pretty brief so I’d say six months too. Alola hasn’t been more than a few months by now. Of course he’s still ten either way. :roll:
Back to the topic I say the pets age like humans but the way they grow is unique to each species. The cubs are teens judging from logic and the brief picture of the school. I think they had a growth spurt if you want to look like it like that. Yes, I’m in a state of delusion because I refuse to believe that Rick just wings it when it comes to time, age, and the pet’s physical development or treats it like the Peanuts and no one gets older despite how many years pass. Not like it matters anyway because logically the pets aren’t going to get any bigger (they’re basically fully grown), or grow up because why should they when they have no responsibilities. They could be aging but not changing in any noticeable way because of these factors. The only pets that matter are the cubs and King’s kids. Four years from now let’s see what they look like and go from there. :shock:
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Pets have been directly stated to mature faster than humans (similarly to animals in our world though perhaps slower than that?), but yeah, ages aren't really important in this comic. They main cast is clearly varying degrees of young, but we know that because their personalities resemble those of young people. Who they are gives us a sense of their age rather than their age informing who they are.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Cause Earl and Jill aren't planning on having kids apparently. I can't blame them because just between Peanut and Grape, that's already a handful. Not to mention all the weird stuff that happens there. I wouldn't want a kid growing up in that neighborhood. A teenager or preteen could thrive but an infant....no.

Can you see Peanut having kids? Him and Tarot? Honestly, I can’t imagine any of them having children. Like ever. Although it would be an interesting plot point or spinoff. Housepets Next Generations.
maybe it’ll be like Adventure Time and they grow up and leave after one episode and we’re like, “um, okay.” Or the. Or more likely scenario, they get adopted and taken to other homes and we see them only for brief intervals at a time. It would be neat to see, a few years down the line, Peanut and his son getting to weird shenanigans. That would be be adorable.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:With the wolf cubs, I don't see them as aging actually as getting bigger. It's kind of hard to explain but if Rick doesn't use real life aging, that is how I tend to see it.

Actually Ash would be roughly fifteen or sixteen. One year in Kanto, i would say Johto was less than a year. Hoenn and Sinnoh are probably a year a piece but Unova was only six months because he arrived during the spring but left before Fall because Deerling was still green. Kalos was pretty brief so I’d say six months too. Alola hasn’t been more than a few months by now. Of course he’s still ten either way. :roll:
Back to the topic I say the pets age like humans but the way they grow is unique to each species. The cubs are teens judging from logic and the brief picture of the school. I think they had a growth spurt if you want to look like it like that. Yes, I’m in a state of delusion because I refuse to believe that Rick just wings it when it comes to time, age, and the pet’s physical development. Not like it matters anyway because logically the pets aren’t going to get any bigger (they’re basically fully grown), or grow up because why should they when they have no responsibilities. The only pets that matter are the cubs and King’s kids. Four years from now let’s see what they look like and go from there.
I’m gonna make a mild argument on why as I feel a little strongly on that topic. I’ve not made it a real secret I have a bone to pick to with characters like peanut who are the greatest showcase of the Housepets not growing up by contrasting it with two different examples. 1. The pets that are ending up having to mature are giving us more to connect with. King is the most obvious example, but the dog that’s been beside him the most, Fox has arguably had to deal with even more stuff than king in some ways, and another example could be made with Keene if you want to argue how much he’s been trying to change for Breel from his usual slight anti-hero role. None of them chose to have to start growing up, but those changes have led to characters that are figuring out more on how they want to live, and it’s both healthy for them and more entertaining to watch. 2. On the subject of being healthy, there are some problems the major cast members are often refusing to notice because they are committing too hard to staying in their comfort zones, and there are ways to keep the core of their characters intact with maturity going on as I think my previous examples have demonstrated. It just be nice I think to see stuff like Grape being more self-aware of how her constant crushing makes her boyfriend feel or if Peanut made a few attempts to act as smart as we all know he is. Am I getting a bit into this stuff? Perhaps though another thought, why shouldn’t the pets have some more responsibilities? And I’m talking more from Rick’s perspective, more responsibilities could lead to more interesting arcs, could you imagine how it look if Peanut and Grape tried their hands at a few job interviews or something? It be interesting though it won’t happen in a world where we don’t expect the pets to be responsible for much
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:
GameCobra wrote:

Can you see Peanut having kids? Him and Tarot? Honestly, I can’t imagine any of them having children. Like ever. Although it would be an interesting plot point or spinoff. Housepets Next Generations.
maybe it’ll be like Adventure Time and they grow up and leave after one episode and we’re like, “um, okay.” Or the. Or more likely scenario, they get adopted and taken to other homes and we see them only for brief intervals at a time. It would be neat to see, a few years down the line, Peanut and his son getting to weird shenanigans. That would be be adorable.
Long story short - Yes. Though i'm not as crazy as i use to be about it and rather just see Tarot mellow out with Peanut. As for future possibilities - like you said, next generation stuff.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Or Blondie and Dagwood..... ;)
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Gameb18oy wrote: I feel like I know another one, the fact they aged was basically the only thing I remember about it as well

For Better or Worse was based on the artist's real family and the characters aged as the family die. This carried to the point that when their real life dog died so to did Farley the dog in the comic.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:It's amazing what the Post Office would let you mail back in the 2both century.... ;)

I don't think we're quite finished yet, folks. Max never gets to pour his heart out without it getting used for a badminton shuttlecock. Is Bino about to enter the epic?

...and, yeah, Rick can really do poignancy when he's a mind to. Kind of a tender day-after-Valentine's strip.
I’m hoping for a follow up scene where Max and Rufus hug before Max gets into the back of a car or truck and as it drives a away Max peers out through the window at Rufus as the vehicle disappears into the distance. Then Grape and Sabrina hopefully apologize for being mean and Max and Grape’s relationship reaches a new level of understanding. Maybe then Grape will tell her story about her previous owners and the time she was called Princess Periwinkle just to make Max feel better. We don’t leave the spa until spring.
You, know it’s a little sad only a few of us are calling out Peanut when he was the first one to get disrespectful. I mean if you really analyze his response... he basically is acting like Max is making his past up. Immaturity doesn’t excuse that, especially as the rudeness from other characters might not have had a chance to show up if he hadn’t interrupted because he wasn’t enjoying the resolution
Well, there isn't as much point in additional people calling out Peanut after it's already been done. It doesn't exactly contribute much to the conversation to echo someone else.
NHWestoN wrote:Maxwell rather graciously accepts Grape's attraction to Res (whom he once saw as a looming rival).
Max saw Res as as an idol, never as a rival.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Are we even sure that Rick has the characters age in real time or does he just keep the story going with them the same age? Rick could be continuing the comic using the plot device "Not Allowed to Grow Up" like they are doing on Pokemon. Ash in real time would be 32 on April 1st.
The key phrase there is "in real time". The Pokémon anime doesn't have many major time skips or definite dates. If you string together what happens in each episode plus some travel time, he only spends a couple of weeks in each season so Ash would only be 12 or 13 by now.
fenrirblack wrote:Taking age out of a story frees up a lot of space to move around but sacrifices storylines such as birthdays or other age-related dilemmas such as Max's relationship with Sabrina which as I pointed out is questionable. It also takes out the factor of animal development such as asking at the question "at what age is a dog no longer considered a puppy in the HPU?" or "at what age can this animal learn to read and write in the HPU?" or "at what age can this animal have kids in the HPU?"
That epitomizes half of the reason I feel the MST3K mantra is used too liberally. Sure, not worrying about something like age frees up other elements to function without creating contradictions, but it removes the unique color it contributes to those other elements and closes off other storytelling vectors. I'm not saying the mantra is never applicable, but it's use doesn't seem to always take the above in full into account, instead only considering the first part.
Rick has explained how he is dealing with aging. In So many MORE questions...
rickgriffin wrote:Pets live twice as long as usual. This is not just arbitrary: it's apparently been shown that there is a correlation between the height of an animal's head off the ground and its average lifespan.
In Age?
rickgriffin wrote:Okay guys I should probably say this outright? I'm running this on comic book time. So yes they have ages but it basically stays about the same.
And in 2012/05/08 - If We Hearse Now...
rickgriffin wrote:Also, for the most part, I'm not doing strict aging up or age tracking in the comic's run unless it's necessary for the plot, such as Rodney and Snow's cub here.

Besides, animal development in Housepets is weird. You don't have to question it so strenuously.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I’ll admit Wallace, a bit of me calling out Peanut is me now hoping that Rick addresses some issues I’ve started to have with Peanut that seem to be getting more and more noticeable. Perhaps this isn’t the time and place for that though
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure eventually Peanut will mature emotionally. I'm not sure if pet ages mature as children ages do.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It is not so much as a matter of age as a matter of environment. I said this before but Peanut does not change because the environment does not invoke it. Do you know the thing about how many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb? Just one but the light bulb has to want to change.