2019/02/15 - Another Memories Title

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/02/15 - Another Memories Title

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/02/15 - Another Memories Title]
Title Text: urine for a big surprise

Being brushed off when you're pouring out your heart is a unique type of pain.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/02/15 - Another Memories Title

Post by Saturn381 »

I just wanna give Max a hug right now. :(
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

If Max leaves, he'll wind up a Cat-sicle!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This is really both super cute and really sad at the same time. It looks like Rufus called around to find Max a home.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Please mind the floor, pieces of my heart are there
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Wow, I was really close this time. Mine was longer probably because I’m used to writing lengthy passages.

See, wasn’t this nice. This was all that was needed. Finishing the story. Simple and clean.

On a different note, I was totally expecting this long convoluted scheme that involved like all These different shenanigans but all Rufus did was pick up the phone and call someone. It was so simple. I find that hilarious for some reason. :lol:
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I totally get how Max feels. It really hurts when you’re trying to be really open and honest with your feelings on something, be they good or bad, and the person you’re talking either mocks you or just flat out doesn’t care. There’s a reason I don’t share my interests with my family as much as I used to.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

fenrirblack wrote:Wow, I was really close this time. Mine was longer probably because I’m used to writing lengthy passages.

See, wasn’t this nice. This was all that was needed. Finishing the story. Simple and clean.

On a different note, I was totally expecting this long convoluted scheme that involved like all These different shenanigans but all Rufus did was pick up the phone and call someone. It was so simple. I find that hilarious for some reason. :lol:
That is the thing I really wonder who Rufus is calling. It could easily be some kind of adoption agency but if that is the case how did Max end up all the way in Babylon Gardens? IIRC the farm is quite a ways away and it seems unlikely someone would come that far out for adoption when you could go to a place closer to where you live. That could mean that this was a direct call to Max's dad which implies that the two families know each other somehow.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Poor Max, he was already embarrassed talking about it, to have that memory of his dog Dad just messed around with and dismissed like it was nothing in the end... man that’s more than a little mean, disrespectful to say the least. And they all know he’s a very insecure cat, the fact they didn’t see this coming is a little insulting on top of everything else. Hope the closer of this arc doesn’t leave him with his bitter tears, but Rick isn’t against a harsh ending every now and then, he almost did it twice in a row with Fox’s arcs, and these two honestly share an oddly decent amount of similarities
John-056

Post by John-056 »

fenrirblack wrote:Wow, I was really close this time. Mine was longer probably because I’m used to writing lengthy passages.

I never thought it Would be lengthy. As a matter of fact, those Two Scenes give me a Father and Son Vibe to it. It's probably Why Max is So upset though.

It's not just him not being taken seriously, Peanut, Grape and Sabrina are effectively spitting on Max's Memory of Rufus, by somehow thinking Max had a Crush on Rufus, when the story he told tells me its more Rufus was like a Father he never had.

Even scentmarking the letter, feels like a Parent putting a stamp, a memento or even a silly little sketch in the letter to have their Kid have a little comfort.

It's Why when I read the letter Section, I started to hum 'Father and Son' from MGS4's soundtrack. It felt... Oddly fitting
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Everything after the first panel is so freaking adorable (until the title text). Grape is going to have to step up her game to make up for this. Are cats as scent driven as dogs, or will the heartfeltness of Rufus's "addition" to the letter not cross the species barrier?
MrBlueSky7 wrote:If Max leaves, he'll wind up a Cat-sicle!
I think he'd still find that preferable to staying.
IceKitsune wrote:...IIRC the farm is quite a ways away...
Yes. 9 hours by road trip.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Awww, this is so precious! :D I love sweet moments like this. This is going in my favorites pile =3
fenrirblack wrote:See, wasn’t this nice. This was all that was needed. Finishing the story. Simple and clean.
So then why'd you make such a big deal over the two strip interlude? :P
dwmitch

Post by dwmitch »

Am I the only one who imagines Rufus sounding like Cactus Jake from the Garfield series?
Are cats as scent driven as dogs, or will the heartfeltness of Rufus's "addition" to the letter not cross the species barrier?
As far as I can tell humans seem to be the only terrestrial mammal not heavily driven by scent, and even we are to an extent. Most products for litter box training cats and keeping them out of restricted areas are scent based.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

The last panel is just super adorable, I love it :mrgreen:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Max smarts and he’s out,
giving their story no finish
but we get told in a way
that the past doesn’t diminish.
Rufus writes to the young,
knowing the truth he sent.
For the sake of security
he added a penny well spent.
Who is he calling here?
How did he stop the tears?
Does Mini know how a phone works?
I wonder who now appears?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:Poor Max, he was already embarrassed talking about it, to have that memory of his dog Dad just messed around with and dismissed like it was nothing in the end... man that’s more than a little mean, disrespectful to say the least. And they all know he’s a very insecure cat, the fact they didn’t see this coming is a little insulting on top of everything else. Hope the closer of this arc doesn’t leave him with his bitter tears, but Rick isn’t against a harsh ending every now and then, he almost did it twice in a row with Fox’s arcs, and these two honestly share an oddly decent amount of similarities
Rick has gotten very deep this year with the chapters (except for the weird video store :| ) First we had this huge arc of Miles confronting Gale, a cougar who resented him for years so much that she went on a convoluted scheme for revenge then said screw this I’m going to kill you and then they made up, sort of but only after coming to terms with the harsh reality of the world they live in. Fox found out that Kevin has real depth and actually knows what he’s doing with Sasha which was another troublesome subject and Fox came to terms with his feelings for her while also getting his heart broken again. Now we have this emotional story of a young kitten who gets adopted by a farm dog after almost getting eaten by a coyote twice only to leave but their bond never went away. :cry:
Rick really stepped up his game. It’s not just hot leopards and funny stories of whatever Peanut and the gang are up to. :)
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

Gosh, poor Max.

First, pressured into telling this story he didn't even want to tell in the first place, and now getting teased and bullied for the story not being about what his friends wanted it to be about.

Kids are mean.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It's amazing what the Post Office would let you mail back in the 20th century.... ;)

I don't think we're quite finished yet, folks. Max never gets to pour his heart out without it getting used for a badminton shuttlecock. Is Bino about to enter the epic?

...and, yeah, Rick can really do poignancy when he's a mind to. Kind of a tender day-after-Valentine's strip.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:It's amazing what the Post Office would let you mail back in the 2both century.... ;)

I don't think we're quite finished yet, folks. Max never gets to pour his heart out without it getting used for a badminton shuttlecock. Is Bino about to enter the epic?

...and, yeah, Rick can really do poignancy when he's a mind to. Kind of a tender day-after-Valentine's strip.
I’m hoping for a follow up scene where Max and Rufus hug before Max gets into the back of a car or truck and as it drives a away Max peers out through the window at Rufus as the vehicle disappears into the distance. Then Grape and Sabrina hopefully apologize for being mean and Max and Grape’s relationship reaches a new level of understanding. Maybe then Grape will tell her story about her previous owners and the time she was called Princess Periwinkle just to make Max feel better. We don’t leave the spa until spring.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote: Then Grape and Sabrina hopefully apologize for being mean and Max and Grape’s relationship reaches a new level of understanding.
They're Cats. Teasing is their way of life.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Rufus was a practical man, though I can't imagine that going over too well with his new owner

"I'll read it to you: Dear max, I added--ewwww!"
"What? He added what?"
"You pets are gross"
"He aaaadded whaaaaat!"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

No worries, Rufus. Max can use a "I can has $20" sign. I wonder if he's calling Jeff?

Now this i was afraid of. Hopefully Grape and Sabrina will start treating Max more seriously after this :(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

Dang. Feels.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Champion Wallace wrote:E Are cats as scent driven as dogs,
Yes. Last night I visited a friend and his cat was all over me. When I got home my own cats were so interested in sniffing my shirt I had to spread it out on the floor for them so they all had equal access.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Aw Max, I didn't realize you were this troubled. Can relate tho. Good thing we can always depend on good boye Rufus.
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

You know, there's a hint of truth about Rufus giving his scent.

Pet owners (parents too to their newborn child; ask your parents if they did that to you) when the pup is whinning at night, they use a old t-shirt with his body odor they used during day and wrap it around the pup so it would calm them.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The upside to being already wet from swimming: nobody can tell you're crying.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Scent is as real as sight for many animals. It's especially common for puppies and even adult dogs to "collect" socks, shoes, or other garments at night and take them to bed because they smell of "Mom" and "Dad" just as young humans have a "blankie" or beloved doll. It makes them feel more secure, especially since most owners do not allow their pets to bed with them. (Such separation, of course, is the opposite of their introduction to life when puppies and kittens sleep all bundled together around mom.) Cats, too, like having our scents close by.

Rufus's expression of concern in the last panel is especially endearing. No just herding instinct at work, but genuine anxiousness for his little charge.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Sabrina wrote:"We didn't mean anything by it!"
That's exactly the problem!
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:It's amazing what the Post Office would let you mail back in the 2both century.... ;)

I’m hoping for a follow up scene where Max and Rufus hug before Max gets into the back of a car or truck and as it drives a away Max peers out through the window at Rufus as the vehicle disappears into the distance. Then Grape and Sabrina hopefully apologize for being mean and Max and Grape’s relationship reaches a new level of understanding. Maybe then Grape will tell her story about her previous owners and the time she was called Princess Periwinkle just to make Max feel better. We don’t leave the spa until spring.
You, know it’s a little sad only a few of us are calling out Peanut when he was the first one to get disrespectful. I mean if you really analyze his response... he basically is acting like Max is making his past up. Immaturity doesn’t excuse that, especially as the rudeness from other characters might not have had a chance to show up if he hadn’t interrupted because he wasn’t enjoying the resolution
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:

You, know it’s a little sad only a few of us are calling out Peanut when he was the first one to get disrespectful. I mean if you really analyze his response... he basically is acting like Max is making his past up. Immaturity doesn’t excuse that, especially as the rudeness from other characters might not have had a chance to show up if he hadn’t interrupted because he wasn’t enjoying the resolution
I'm sure if Max gave them some time they would go back to the story again, but they underestimated how personal this is to Max. It only went down south because Peanut derailed the story flow for a bit, but it wasn't a really bad derailment either - just a short breather from the story. I think Sabrina was just the straw as the last comic points out.

Looking back at this arc, Rufus to Max was a random stranger that saved him and he's very thankful for that. I figured at first he was a father figure, but this revelation was very heart touching as to the way Rufus is portrayed to Max growing up. I'm hoping this comes full circle with Maxwell making the most of his life afterwards and that Grape appreciates what Rufus done for Maxwell. <3
Felixthestoat

Post by Felixthestoat »

Max's father might have been his father, but Rufus was his daddy.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Felixthestoat wrote:Max's father might have been his father, but Rufus was his daddy.
Wow, considering he got upset because Sabrina made the same assumption, I don’t think you realize how out of place that comment is
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Depends on connotation, man. "Daddy" is a legit term for familial bonds.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Aww, poor Maxwell (how many times have I said this so far? :P). :( Sometimes you two become pretty mean with him, Grape and Sabrina. :| But yeah, we want to listen all the story! :) Good that Rufus cared to find a new home for the kitten. ;) Eeew, urine scent? :? What a heavy thing to bear for the mailman... :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Felixthestoat wrote:Max's father might have been his father, but Rufus was his daddy.
"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

On a final note - Rufus Sandwich saved Maxwell who ended up dating Grape Jelly Sandwich. The Sandwich line will live on for generations!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:
"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

On a final note - Rufus Sandwich saved Maxwell who ended up dating Grape Jelly Sandwich. The Sandwich line will live on for generations!
Cause Earl and Jill aren't planning on having kids apparently. I can't blame them because just between Peanut and Grape, that's already a handful. Not to mention all the weird stuff that happens there. I wouldn't want a kid growing up in that neighborhood. A teenager or preteen could thrive but an infant....no.

On a different note, it is interesting or sad to think that Max probably never knew his actual father. I'm just guessing but considering his mother abandoned him, well he never said so for the sake of argument let's assume his mother was solo when abandoning him and his father was never around. Worse case scenario.
Rufus was a parental figure who did care about Max and honestly its sad that they were separated during such an early stage in their relationship's development. Jeff is Max's owner and takes care of him but Rufus was there during a very vulnerable time in Max's life. This makes me wonder about the early days of Max living with Jeff which brings up another point about Max's "pound friends" because I'm still on the assumption that Max did end up in the pound however briefly. Of course we won't know until we find out who Rufus called. If he did end up in the pound, then I wonder if he had to do a lot of growing up in a short amount of time. But seeing the letter probably indicates that Max went straight to Jeff so raises the question again of the "pound friends" which most obvious answer would be Max ended up in the pound briefly after Jeff adopted him given we know that Max didn't wear collars during those days. Most likely it happened more than once.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, it's kind of interesting. Maxwell begins his life in Housepets! as something of a swaggering, free-spirited pseudo sophisticate who presents himself as worldly, suave, and a cat-of-the-world. He presents himself, especially to Grape, as a "let-me-take-you-away-from-all-this-bland-suburban-dullness" charmer who looks down on those around him like Peanut, Fox, and Marvin. At first introduction, while he's a bit of a rogue, he's rather hard to like. He breaks up Peanut and Grape's mutual affection, hurting Peanut severely. He constantly abuses Bino, granting that Bino's a terrific target. Max has ambitions (not unlike Fox) of playing the courageous champion, hero to dog and cat (especially Grape), and invariably bollixes his opportunities through a mix of ineptness and cowardice. ...and there's that catnip thing...

Yet, as he evolves, Max stats opening up, showing a softer, more vulnerable side. After his grand "opening my soul" episode in the Gallifax Protocol, where he pours it all out, his follow on conversation with Spirit Dragon is beguiling in his tenderness and compassion towards this manipulative Celestial who has caused his so much pain. He's always respectful towards Sabrina whose teasing (even before this current arc) is often uncharacteristically cutting. He and Peanut seem to have become friends, and Maxwell rather graciously accepts Grape's attraction to Res (whom he once saw as a looming rival). In the "Temple Crashers Two" saga, he demonstrates a real willingness to stick his neck out for the team, although doesn't fight the easy way out when he's transported to the luxury of Jeeves' luxuriant attentions.

In some cases, Rick's characters have pulled the ol'switcheroo on us - Kevin unexpectedly proving to be a thoughtful and intelligent canine after largely playing the role of the muscle-bound oaf or Daisy "the Dumber Dog" suddenly revealing herself to be smart, sensitive, and analytical. Maxwell, however, has genuinely evolved or - more precisely - begun to slowly shed his masks and poses, beginning to reveal his heart and, in the process, enduring the risk of opening his rib cage. His friends don't seem to quite know what to make of these revelations - is this another Maxwell self-remake, another pose, or something different and deeper? Peanut, emmeshed in the narrative, suddenly grabs onto the dramatics of the story and wants to re-media it instead of understand what it means for Maxwell. (Peanut, sometimes, is like one of these folks who "grabs the ball and runs with it, forgetting the game is checkers".) Grape and Sabrina also fail to understand how vital and wonderful this story is for Max, the story of the first person to seriously love him, so like Patty and Violet in the old Peanuts comic, they revert to their old roles of "teasers-in-chief". Fido, Joey, Rex, the others have drifted away indifferently.

...and, like kitten Max, adult Maxwell feels hurt, maybe even a little betrayed, and decides to go home. He's not being petulant, he's not taking his story and going home. Rather, he's wounded, wounded that he offered his friends another heart-ripping baring of his vulnerable soul, and they've mistaken his gift for just another vapid Maxwell yarn. He doesn't know how to redeem or reclaim what he's already exposed, that much of the story is now "out there" unshielded. But Maxwell can shelter and protect what of this treasured life episode still belongs to him, stored in his heart from the derision of those who don't appreciate how hard it is for him to share what happened to him at Reuben's farm. We all know those times when we've "said to much". Maybe that's what Max does now.

And, again, this is a depth of Maxwell we haven't really seen before. We're used to seeing him as a comic character and a rather shallow one at that. We're used to seeing better from Peanut, Grape, and Sabrina - yet not entirely surprised at their gentle torment of Max as he tries to be more serious than we've even seen him. Maybe, too, part of Max's dilemma is that his friends are also seeing a side of Rufus they never knew and can't quite believe - A farm clod they thought of as a rube, a hayseed, and a bit of a boor suddenly shown as whip smart, humble, brave yet cautious, responsible, and deeply tender-hearted. So, it'll be interesting to see how Rick resolves all this...

Maybe I shoulda gone to the baths more often..... ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So just as I was thinking, the others aren't taking him seriously at all and just are mocking him. I had a feeling that this would end up happening though I was hoping i was wrong. Peanut doesn't care about the truth as he just wants a story and both Grape and Sabrina are acting like total shrews. It would be nice if someone put them in their place. I may have my issues with Tarot, but I really do think we need her now.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Poor Max, I just want to want to hug the poor guy. I have a feeling that the others, will realize, that they, however unknowingly, caused him a good deal of pain, and apologize.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller