2019/02/25 - Ghosts Of The Past

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2019/02/25 - Ghosts Of The Past

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Or it could backfire really badly and cause Peanut to have a breakdown and the character giving him the tough love ends up a pariah.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Or it could backfire really badly and cause Peanut to have a breakdown and the character giving him the tough love ends up a pariah.
Sounds like an idea for a great arc. I wonder how much longer Peanut can be as childish as he is until it lands him serious trouble. Tarot may be the one to put the pressure on him, since she's clearly getting sick of it in their relationship. I imagine Peanut would turn to Grape (since it's unlikely he'd listen to anyone's advise foremost), putting her in the uncomfortable position of either comforting him or taking part in the intervention. His reaction is anyone's guess.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:On the contrary, I like King, Fox, and Keene a significant amount as Rick seems determined to make sure those characters won’t be truly happy unless the recognize their problems and mature. I don’t want a character like Peanut to be miserable, but I could do with him going through some actual trials. Nobody hates the guy, heck I see a lot of me in him... that’s kinda why I’m frustrated with him. With how smart Peanut is... it’s not like the guy shouldn’t be expected to learn how to act like an adult dog from time to time.
What’s interesting about Peanut is that despite being the main character, he doesn’t have a major role in the larger events of the series. Every time something big goes down, he’s there but not in the center. He gave Joel the lantern but proceeded to not be seen or have any role in the Games finale. They go back in time, Grape gets kidnapped and all he can do is explain the plot of Star Wars. Go into the temple, he solves the puzzles but it lasts three strips before his role is voided then it’s Keene’s, Tarot’s and Res’s turn. For someone who is apart of almost everything he doesn’t do anything. It’s a strange logic. I mean he has a center role in the more comedic events but looking back it seems like it’s Grape who takes the hits while he skates through them practically unscathed. The water balloon war, anything involving Res, the vet, and even when he’s on his own like in pyscon nothing major or any real consequences. It’s very interesting and honestly I can’t think of a situation quite like it. Even Bugs Bunny struggles more than Peanut.
Glad you agree with me Fen, even more so glad you feel like Grape I’m comparison has more stuff happening to her as well, as I wanted to mention that but wasn’t sure how to bring it up. It be nice if the other characters didn’t baby him either, I will give a small bit of credit and say the other pets alongside his parents have kinda sheltered the pup, if someone gave Peanut a healthy helping of tough love, I have a feeling he’d really benefit from it.
Probably because Peanut really has no clue how to handle those kind of situations. He just goes with it and trusts Tarot.

Now have him and Joey entering a drawing contest akin to Comic Con and getting rights to draw for Marvel/DC on the otherhand... :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

So Does This Mean Max Has Two Dad's?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You can have as many dads as possible though one will be the biological one though sometimes biological parents aren't really the best.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

GameCobra wrote:
Probably because Peanut really has no clue how to handle those kind of situations. He just goes with it and trusts Tarot.

Now have him and Joey entering a drawing contest akin to Comic Con and getting rights to draw for Marvel/DC on the otherhand... :3
You know you basically backed up my point saying that right? Tarot has been treating him like a baby more than a boyfriend, and she's clearly sick of having to treat him that way. Nobody seems to realize Peanut needs someone to challenge his less attractive traits, and the funny thing is, I think he'd get it if someone did. He's a very smart dog, both on paper and in coming up with creative ideas, so its hard for me to believe he wouldn't figure out he needs to work on his behavior if someone just clearly told him so and kept him from having one of those moments where he ignores whats happening around him.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

A puzzlement - now if Maxwell and Grape become a "couple" and have kittens, where would they and their litter live? The Sandwich household? Or at Mac's with "brother" Bino? And how would Grape's motherhood effect Peanut? Would it cause him to "grow up" or become more immature?

...what would a "mature" Peanut look like anyhow? Zach with a talent for colored pencils, maybe? Marvin with an accounting degree? Speculation flourishes...... ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:A puzzlement - now if Maxwell and Grape become a "couple" and have kittens, where would they and their litter live? The Sandwich household? Or at Mac's with "brother" Bino? And how would Grape's motherhood effect Peanut? Would it cause him to "grow up" or become more immature?

...what would a "mature" Peanut look like anyhow? Zach with a talent for colored pencils, maybe? Marvin with an accounting degree? Speculation flourishes...... ;)
First I think they would live with the Sandwiches full time. Max would either move in or visit regularly. As far as Peanut goes, we've seen how he is around babies so I think he would simply freak out and go comatose.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm inclined to think Peanut's "terror" in the puppy-sitting episode was more due to the prospect of being eviscerated by Bailey when she discovered he and Grape had lost one of her litter. Still, fen, you're probably right … though he's a surprising pooch, our Peanut. Either that, or he'd add "Kosmic Kittens" to the Spot comic cast.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since I have a very low opinion of Jeff, as soon as he finds out that he got Grape pregnant, he would dump him on the Sandwich's doorstep and tell them to deal with it.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Gameb18oy wrote:Tarot has been treating him like a baby more than a boyfriend, and she's clearly sick of having to treat him that way.
You and I are reading this very differently ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:
GameCobra wrote:

You know you basically backed up my point saying that right? Tarot has been treating him like a baby more than a boyfriend, and she's clearly sick of having to treat him that way. Nobody seems to realize Peanut needs someone to challenge his less attractive traits, and the funny thing is, I think he'd get it if someone did. He's a very smart dog, both on paper and in coming up with creative ideas, so its hard for me to believe he wouldn't figure out he needs to work on his behavior if someone just clearly told him so and kept him from having one of those moments where he ignores whats happening around him.
Tarot hasn't been shown to be sick of Peanut's behavior. She's just annoyed at best by it. As i see it, Peanut and Tarot are mostly trying to work out each other's flaws: Peanut's easygoing behavior and Tarot's hardworking behavior. The spa has shown that and so has the recent K9 arc.

As for Grape and Max - my money is them living with the Sandwiches AND with Jeff, just occasionally moving between the two houses. However, Maxwell moving in with the sandwiches is also a high possibility. Just think - the Sandwich household is the first family to have a house passed onto their pets! x3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do have to say I will be amazed if Jeff wants anything to do with Mape's kittens.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I do have to say I will be amazed if Jeff wants anything to do with Mape's kittens.
Noted.

I think, however, Jeff would love to see the kittens at least. x3
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I need to see more of Jeff to make a genuine conclusion about how he really feels about anything. He cares about Max but how much is yet to really be seen in detail.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:I need to see more of Jeff to make a genuine conclusion about how he really feels about anything. He cares about Max but how much is yet to really be seen in detail.
Personally I think the more interesting question is “does Jeff care about Bino?”, Which I can respect either answer
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Somebody a long time ago when I was first here made a fanfic about Jeff willingly giving Bino over to another family who had a teenaged kid. I think that looking through that it might have colored my opinion of Jeff a little bit.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Somebody a long time ago when I was first here made a fanfic about Jeff willingly giving Bino over to another family who had a teenaged kid. I think that looking through that it might have colored my opinion of Jeff a little bit.
In what direction? Considering there sadly are a few traits shared between Max and Bino if you look for them back then at least, it’s not impossible to see stuff like both of them wanting to be the center of attention were traits nurtured by Jeff... I don’t personally think he’s a bad owner, but the connection can be made
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To the negative. Everything I find out about him (accidentally locking Max out though that COULD have been an accident, the shock collar on Bino or not bothering to look for him after he was stuck in the pound for a week, where most pounds perform euthanasia after a week) just makes me think that someone like Bill or Earl needs to smack him in the head.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wasn't Steve in the pound for along time? Perhaps pounds in this world are more akin to shelters.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm really hoping that then if it is the case. I also am curious in that I have to wonder if euthanasia is a thing in this world since animals have sentience.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm really hoping that then if it is the case. I also am curious in that I have to wonder if euthanasia is a thing in this world since animals have sentience.
PETA exists in it so it’s not impossible
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm really hoping that then if it is the case. I also am curious in that I have to wonder if euthanasia is a thing in this world since animals have sentience.
PETA exists in it so it’s not impossible
I miss PETA. If there was ever going to be an antagonist or evil team bent on the destruction of the pets it would be them. Missed opportunity.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Jeff is likely more typical of many pet owners than we'd like to think - more couldn't-be-bothered than cruel. His attitude hardly reaches the level of Sasha's "Daddy" , however.

The euthanasia question is intriguing and sinister. The whole world around "BG" might be "No-Kill" shelters but we know the legal status of domestic animals is still far short of equal protection. What protects cats likely doesn't cover cows....
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

NHWestoN wrote:Jeff is likely more typical of many pet owners than we'd like to think - more couldn't-be-bothered than cruel. His attitude hardly reaches the level of Sasha's "Daddy" , however.

The euthanasia question is intriguing and sinister. The whole world around "BG" might be "No-Kill" shelters but we know the legal status of domestic animals is still far short of equal protection. What protects cats likely doesn't cover cows....
I agree with you about Jeff. It could be that in the BG universe, there are more laws that dictate humane treatment and killing procedures for any livestock.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Quick sidebar on Cobra's comment. Over the last two decades, the internet has dramatically improved the adoption-survival rate of shelter animals. By displaying our animals on-line, our two shelters in very serous poverty counties of North Carolina cut our euthanasia rates extensively. Many states with more aggressive spay-neuter programs now broker adoptions and transportation north and west.

Sadly, shelters continue to struggle. Besides "disgarded" animals, two other problems persist, both criminal. One is dog-fighting. When a dog-ring is busted, the dogs must be housed at the county or regional shelters. As evidence in a crime, they cannot be adopted out so the shelter must house, maintain, and care for them. In a shelter, space is the determining factor in survival - "If we don't have a place, we make one - which means someone dies" as a director once told me. Few shelter receive a dime's reimbursement.

Hoarders and breeders are the second category. Recently, a couple of local cases have put a large number of large dogs into our regional shelter. However well-intentioned, the offenders were a wealthy family with mod dollars and dogs than sense. Overwhelmed by the growing number of animals, they let everything slide until they got busted for negligence and cruelty. Now the shelter has to care for these unfortunate animals at its own expense - this charity, depending on donations, carries the financial burden. The owners, the guilty party, should have to at least reimburse the charity ...but they don't and (I'm sure) they won't.

So ... Long way to travel yet.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now if only PETA would realize that the solution to the overpopulations of pets is to spay and neuter and to TRY to rehome pets, instead of "blue juicing" almost 100% of them.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

When you really think about it Jeff's reaction when Joel came to his house was justified. Kudos to him for that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I will give him credit for flattening Joel but would he do it presently if it happened?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Probably not since he got scolded by Bill last time. He would probably just slam the door. Jeff is an odd character.