2019/02/25 - Ghosts Of The Past

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/02/25 - Ghosts Of The Past

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/02/25 - Ghosts Of The Past]
Title Text: You're not my real Ghost Dad

"I can stop whenever I want!"
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/02/25 - Ghosts Of The Past

Post by fenrirblack »

And the Oscar for the most dramatic performance ending with a rude comment goes to.... Max and Rufus.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Next update: "What is that intervention sign doing here?"
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

*cue the ghost of Max's real dad*
"He's right son. Cut back on the nip trips."
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just show Max those scary catnip PSA's. That'll make him quit.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

"You're not my real ghost dad."
And thank god for that. This strip has been awkward enough without getting Bill Cosby involved.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

He can’t express his gratitude
to those who save his life;
he just gives them Cattitude
when they offer him advice.
The Nip again rears its’ head
and begins to give him strife;
refusing advice from the dead
because, of course, that Nip is nice.
Rufus lets him off the hook,
knowing that he’s still smitten
and, that, by any rule in the book,
this Cat is still just a Kitten.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I wonder if Rufus realizes that he’s probably one of the main reasons for Max’s catnip problem.

These type of moments always get me.
Attachments
F9630261-E0CD-4383-B824-9918528F0DC2.jpeg
F9630261-E0CD-4383-B824-9918528F0DC2.jpeg (193.44 KiB) Viewed 11715 times
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I wonder how many people were disappointed to learn that Rufus was actually Max's father figure rather than his boyfriend as was initially assumed.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Alright, now time to go back to the Hot Springs to sweat this all out!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Grape saved Max from Fluffy, but who else is in the "I saved Maxwell's life one time" club? It looks like Max is still denying Grape's role in saving him from the GALLIFRAX alleycats.
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

leinglo wrote:I wonder how many people were disappointed to learn that Rufus was actually Max's father figure rather than his boyfriend as was initially assumed.
Considering I saw a few people still assuming that could be the case, I’m kinda glad Rick felt he needed to be as obvious saying that as he could
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Gameb18oy wrote:
leinglo wrote:I wonder how many people were disappointed to learn that Rufus was actually Max's father figure rather than his boyfriend as was initially assumed.
Considering I saw a few people still assuming that could be the case, I’m kinda glad Rick felt he needed to be as obvious saying that as he could
Especially as Rufus was an Full grown Adult Dog and Max was a Kitten.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Its interesting that Rufus used the words “father figure” instead of something else to describe their relationship like Dad or something. It is sad that he had to be so blunt and that’s coming from me. You know how many times people have told me I’m way too blunt?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Gameb18oy wrote:
To be fair, the whole scenario was kinda set up to imply a ship, what with Rufus kissing Max, and Grape's reaction...pretty much a reflection of the fanbase's actually. :lol:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

leinglo wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:
To be fair, the whole scenario was kinda set up to imply a ship, what with Rufus kissing Max, and Grape's reaction...pretty much a reflection of the fanbase's actually. :lol:
So funny, so obliviously implied, so glad Rick went with this.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

fenrirblack wrote:So funny, so obliviously implied, so glad Rick changed it to this.
Oh, I think Rick was trolling us right from the start (A sentence I find myself using over and over again these days). Just look back at the page where Rufus kissed Max. The title of the page is specifically "Don’t Read Into It" :lol:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

leinglo wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:So funny, so obliviously implied, so glad Rick changed it to this.
Oh, I think Rick was trolling us right from the start (A sentence I find myself using over and over again these days). Just look back at the page where Rufus kissed Max. The title of the page is specifically "Don’t Read Into It" :lol:
I know he was trolling us but I wonder if he initially planned for it to turn out like this or if he threw it in there with no solid idea of what it could actually mean.
Champion Wallace wrote:Grape saved Max from Fluffy, but who else is in the "I saved Maxwell's life one time" club? It looks like Max is still denying Grape's role in saving him from the GALLIFRAX alleycats.
I don’t think it was saving his life as much as saving him from getting a hard beating.
Let’s see, I’m sure Sabrina has saved him at least once. I’m sure Res and Peanut has to save him from something while trekking through the temple even if it was off panel. Satau saved him from the Sabbercat and in a way so did Tarot with her lantern.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, Rick coulda decided to end the story at Friday's panel easy enough and let our imaginations run from there. Are we going to see Max finish the saga in a 12-Step program?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I can't help it, this is just so adorable! <3

The week i can tell is going to be something chummy for Rufus, Max and Grape and i'm very excited and happy that Rufus and Max are patching things up. I loved the joke in the end that Max should cut down on the catnip and responding like a spoiled child x3

Rufus in my opinion isn't just going to give them a good goodbye, but wish them the best for the future. Considering how him and Grape get along, i get the feeling he's going to tease her big time :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Rufus is actually a saint. I'd advise you listen to him, Max.
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

I am glad it turned out that way.
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Not me! I like this turn-out much better since it shows a side i love to see more of Max - the one who wishes he could do more. For the first time as well, we get to see how much trouble Maxwell doubts himself. I felt more sorry for Rufus than Max, but at the same time wish for Max to improve and ensure he doesn't keep doing this. :(

I still think it's fun how Rick teased not just us, but Grape, Sabrina and even Fido. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I hope that Maxwell learns from this situation and that he continues to improve himself and to evolve and grow as a character.
Last edited by trekkie on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

trekkie wrote:I hope that Max learns from this situation and that he improves himself to continue to evolve and grow as a character.
Ha, yeah right. :roll:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

fenrirblack wrote:
trekkie wrote:I hope that Max learns from this situation and that he improves himself to continue to evolve and grow as a character.
I’m not saying it’s likely to happen.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, Max, it's probably too late to say sorry to Rufus, who indeed helped you a lot when you were a kitten, but he has been the simple good dog who helped a life without find compliments. :D I guess he was writing you to feel himself close to you, just that. :) Also Grape saved you twice? Uhm, probably yes. :P I agree with Rufus about that last recommendation, also because it's maybe because of catnip the reason you're so emotional... ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

trekkie wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
I’m not saying it’s likely to happen.
If it were to happen, if Max were to grow as a character, how would you want him to change?
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Fen, I guess I’d like to send him give up catnip, it would be interesting to see how he handles it. I should say that I like Maxwell, and I certainly didn’t mean any disrespect towards anyone.

Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Personally, I like Rufus way more as a father figure than if he was Max's ex or something.

About the kiss, maybe Rufus is homosexual and kissed Max out of playfulness.
Though I don't know if it fits well with the fact that he was a father figure to Max in his childhood... :?

Nevertheless, he's such a good person/dog, and a wonderful selfless surrogate father. :)
Oh and... that hug. :3

But what does Max mean by "and that's saying something"?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Soerix wrote:But what does Max mean by "and that's saying something"?
Cats are more aloof than Dogs. They don't DO 'gratitude'.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

[quote=“fenrirblack”]If it were to happen, if Max were to grow as a character, how would you want him to change?[/quote]

Can’t speak for Trekkie, but I’d enjoy if Max starts working to have genuine confidence and stops hiding this more sensitive side of him. He’s always been more interesting to me when this part is visible, so it be nice if snarky Max allowed himself more moments where he’s not trying to be big and tough.
Personally though, I really hope how the other pets acted isn’t ignored though. Peanut has needed to pick up he’s horrible at reading the atmosphere for awhile now, some actual consequences to his way of acting would be nice, out of the main characters, I feel like Rick may have unintentionally too kind to him. I worry I’m exaggerating, but I feel like he’s not really encountered many things that impact him long term since he gave up on his crush for Grape because of her being interested more in other cats. He’s always had a good personality so I’ve never hated his antics... but seems odd to me that his flaws keep getting ignored when Rick doesn’t really do that for the other major characters. Even Max with his low focus despite big presence in the comic has always had Rick showing he’s had a big head and a lot of bravado he could work on.
Moving on though, I don’t think anyone will disagree Sabrina definitely needs to apologize to Max. She couldn’t have missed how upset her words made him.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Ah a classic trope of fiction especially on drama when the character is adopted or doesn't know they are adopted.

"You aren't my real dad!"

Then a few months later, SURPRISE. He is. I can almost set my watch by it.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Is Rufus going to be Max’s shoulder angel from now on? =3
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:If it were to happen, if Max were to grow as a character, how would you want him to change?
Can’t speak for Trekkie, but I’d enjoy if Max starts working to have genuine confidence and stops hiding this more sensitive side of him. He’s always been more interesting to me when this part is visible, so it be nice if snarky Max allowed himself more moments where he’s not trying to be big and tough.
Personally though, I really hope how the other pets acted isn’t ignored though. Peanut has needed to pick up he’s horrible at reading the atmosphere for awhile now, some actual consequences to his way of acting would be nice, out of the main characters, I feel like Rick may have unintentionally too kind to him. I worry I’m exaggerating, but I feel like he’s not really encountered many things that impact him long term since he gave up on his crush for Grape because of her being interested more in other cats. He’s always had a good personality so I’ve never hated his antics... but seems odd to me that his flaws keep getting ignored when Rick doesn’t really do that for the other major characters. Even Max with his low focus despite big presence in the comic has always had Rick showing he’s had a big head and a lot of bravado he could work on.
Moving on though, I don’t think anyone will disagree Sabrina definitely needs to apologize to Max. She couldn’t have missed how upset her words made him.
I agree that the snarky persona is not attractive or fooling anyone but seeing how he grew up it is clearly a defense mechanism that will only go away if the others around him allow it too. I know Grape cares for Max but if they broke up and she ended up with Res, I would not be disappointed because it might be the best for both of them. She is not a good influence on him and he needs someone who can bring out his better nature. Honestly, she's a much better influence on Res than Max.
As far as the other characters go, I mean Peanut will have to endure something super dramatic to change and even then he may be too passive for it to affect him long-term. I think it comes from his sheltered life. We don't know how the Sandwiches adopted him but my guess is he went from loving home to loving home without any bumps like Max or Grape. I don't want to call him spoiled but definitely a pampered pet. Sabrina is so old and set in her ways that I doubt she would apologize. She has made it clear over the years of how she thinks about Max and everyone else for that matter. She clearly has issues that she needs to work on before she can have any real development or learn how her actions affect others. I think she has serious abandonment issues that need ironing out.
trekkie wrote:Fen, I guess I’d like to send him give up catnip, it would be interesting to see how he handles it. I should say that I like Maxwell, and I certainly didn’t mean any disrespect towards anyone.
The catnip thing is another defense mechanism. The only way he could truly give it up is not by someone telling him to but if he actually had a reason too. He would need to get over his hang-ups and understand that he doesn't need it. It's like this cycle of macho-ism which leads to trouble which leads to him nipping only to get the confidence (or delusion) that he is macho, that's my assumption anyway.
Douglas Collier wrote:Is Rufus going to be Max’s shoulder angel from now on? =3
It would be so funny if from now on, Rufus popped up whenever Max was about to do something dumb. Like skip forward a month or two and have Max about to do catnip and then Rufus appears and goes "Nah uh. Don't do it." Then Max screams "Why are you still here?"
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Who in this story doesn't have issues? :P
and really, for that matter, who in real life doesn't have any issues? I like that Rick's characters are flawed and do flawed things, and I like that it's okay for them to be flawed even though there are sometimes consequences. Like sometimes people poke fun at someone else's expense and take things too far, and it was bad to do that and had consequences, but it doesn't make them a bad person. It just means they took things too far before they realized. I like that that seems to be how Rick is writing them.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:Who in this story doesn't have issues? :P
and really, for that matter, who in real life doesn't have any issues? I like that Rick's characters are flawed and do flawed things, and I like that it's okay for them to be flawed even though there are sometimes consequences. Like sometimes people poke fun at someone else's expense and take things too far, and it was bad to do that and had consequences, but it doesn't make them a bad person. It just means they took things too far before they realized. I like that that seems to be how Rick is writing them.
You seem to think people wanting the characters to grow past their flaws means they don’t share your sentiment. On the contrary, I like King, Fox, and Keene a significant amount as Rick seems determined to make sure those characters won’t be truly happy unless the recognize their problems and mature. I don’t want a character like Peanut to be miserable, but I could do with him going through some actual trials. Nobody hates the guy, heck I see a lot of me in him... that’s kinda why I’m frustrated with him. With how smart Peanut is... it’s not like the guy shouldn’t be expected to learn how to act like an adult dog from time to time.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:On the contrary, I like King, Fox, and Keene a significant amount as Rick seems determined to make sure those characters won’t be truly happy unless the recognize their problems and mature. I don’t want a character like Peanut to be miserable, but I could do with him going through some actual trials. Nobody hates the guy, heck I see a lot of me in him... that’s kinda why I’m frustrated with him. With how smart Peanut is... it’s not like the guy shouldn’t be expected to learn how to act like an adult dog from time to time.
What’s interesting about Peanut is that despite being the main character, he doesn’t have a major role in the larger events of the series. Every time something big goes down, he’s there but not in the center. He gave Joel the lantern but proceeded to not be seen or have any role in the Games finale. They go back in time, Grape gets kidnapped and all he can do is explain the plot of Star Wars. Go into the temple, he solves the puzzles but it lasts three strips before his role is voided then it’s Keene’s, Tarot’s and Res’s turn. For someone who is apart of almost everything he doesn’t do anything. It’s a strange logic. I mean he has a center role in the more comedic events but looking back it seems like it’s Grape who takes the hits while he skates through them practically unscathed. The water balloon war, anything involving Res, the vet, and even when he’s on his own like in pyscon nothing major or any real consequences. It’s very interesting and honestly I can’t think of a situation quite like it. Even Bugs Bunny struggles more than Peanut.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:On the contrary, I like King, Fox, and Keene a significant amount as Rick seems determined to make sure those characters won’t be truly happy unless the recognize their problems and mature. I don’t want a character like Peanut to be miserable, but I could do with him going through some actual trials. Nobody hates the guy, heck I see a lot of me in him... that’s kinda why I’m frustrated with him. With how smart Peanut is... it’s not like the guy shouldn’t be expected to learn how to act like an adult dog from time to time.
What’s interesting about Peanut is that despite being the main character, he doesn’t have a major role in the larger events of the series. Every time something big goes down, he’s there but not in the center. He gave Joel the lantern but proceeded to not be seen or have any role in the Games finale. They go back in time, Grape gets kidnapped and all he can do is explain the plot of Star Wars. Go into the temple, he solves the puzzles but it lasts three strips before his role is voided then it’s Keene’s, Tarot’s and Res’s turn. For someone who is apart of almost everything he doesn’t do anything. It’s a strange logic. I mean he has a center role in the more comedic events but looking back it seems like it’s Grape who takes the hits while he skates through them practically unscathed. The water balloon war, anything involving Res, the vet, and even when he’s on his own like in pyscon nothing major or any real consequences. It’s very interesting and honestly I can’t think of a situation quite like it. Even Bugs Bunny struggles more than Peanut.
Glad you agree with me Fen, even more so glad you feel like Grape I’m comparison has more stuff happening to her as well, as I wanted to mention that but wasn’t sure how to bring it up. It be nice if the other characters didn’t baby him either, I will give a small bit of credit and say the other pets alongside his parents have kinda sheltered the pup, if someone gave Peanut a healthy helping of tough love, I have a feeling he’d really benefit from it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Or it could backfire really badly and cause Peanut to have a breakdown and the character giving him the tough love ends up a pariah.