2019/03/01 - Dramatic Retelling

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/03/01 - Dramatic Retelling

Post by fenrirblack »

This is why backstory is important. At this point we need to get all the pets in a room, put them in a circle, put on a cup of coffee, and have everyone go around the room and talk about the stupid carp from their lives. Then clap afterwards. Then have a good cry.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This last page make me think of a Tenacious D song.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Your characterization of this latest arc is very solid, Cobra. I, too, enjoy it when Rick brings back some of the long lost gang for the spotlight. We came to realize there was more depth and kindness to Rufus than the tube we'd met at the Sandwich farm or the baffle-gabbing ghost encountered at the Temple Crashers. Even more, we got to see how deep the roots of Maxwell's personality ran - his conniving, his self-indulgence, his sense of vulnerability, and his tendency to exploit others even while he longs for real friendships. There was a genuine tenderness in this story we haven't seen in a while, made all the more attractive by revolving around unexpected "guests". The farm, remember also played a pivotal role in the relationship between Peanut and Grape.

Another "cast-of-thousands" comic artist, Walt Kelly, used to speculate "I think like most actors, when my characters are not on stage, they have day jobs. I do know their lives go on the that part of my mental life they've colonized and inhabit." So, when you're out of stories, there's no end to backstories until life itself ends, eh?

So maybe Daisy gets called back to the stage from her barista job at Tom Horton's this year?....... ;)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Honestly, "and then, suddenly, ninjas!" Is, like, the driving philosophy behind Beacon of Hope.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote: Well to be fair, i'm certain the fans are mostly focused on the relationship between a select few characters. Over the years I just came to enjoy when Rick gives certain characters unexpected spotlights that we probably wouldn't expect at times. Fox is an example.

Rufus, however, was a huge unexpected character and Rick gave him amazing characterization, but part of this characterization went hand-in-hand with Maxwell, who also didn't have as much characterization (Also because he's one of my personal favorites, of course, so i can't leave that out x3). It's characterization like this for characters that put this seemingly small arc right ontop of my list of favorites already. I like to see more characterizations like this for characters.
Speaking of which, I was looking back through the comic and I noticed something. Dallas has a mean streak that comes out on occasion. Lester is usually the center of attention when the three geeks are together but Dallas has a few moments. There was the time he tried to hit Lester with a bat. Then there are other moments when he's kinda a jerk. Then there are the times of blunt honesty. This is interesting because it contradicts Dallas's early moments when he's seen as this upbeat nerd compared to Lester's malevolent disposition and Joey's....um....childishness?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
GameCobra wrote: Well to be fair, i'm certain the fans are mostly focused on the relationship between a select few characters. Over the years I just came to enjoy when Rick gives certain characters unexpected spotlights that we probably wouldn't expect at times. Fox is an example.

Rufus, however, was a huge unexpected character and Rick gave him amazing characterization, but part of this characterization went hand-in-hand with Maxwell, who also didn't have as much characterization (Also because he's one of my personal favorites, of course, so i can't leave that out x3). It's characterization like this for characters that put this seemingly small arc right ontop of my list of favorites already. I like to see more characterizations like this for characters.
Speaking of which, I was looking back through the comic and I noticed something. Dallas has a mean streak that comes out on occasion. Lester is usually the center of attention when the three geeks are together but Dallas has a few moments. There was the time he tried to hit Lester with a bat. Then there are other moments when he's kinda a jerk. Then there are the times of blunt honesty. This is interesting because it contradicts Dallas's early moments when he's seen as this upbeat nerd compared to Lester's malevolent disposition and Joey's....um....childishness?
I don’t think Childishness is the right word. While Joey is one of the only dogs that might be younger than Grape and Peanut, I think he’s more the nerdy straightman type amongst his peers. I guess Rick may have made the nerds less weird over time but he did stick to the idea that Joey is the most normal of the three
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:

I don’t think Childishness is the right word. While Joey is one of the only dogs that might be younger than Grape and Peanut, I think he’s more the nerdy straightman type amongst his peers. I guess Rick may have made the nerds less weird over time but he did stick to the idea that Joey is the most normal of the three
I agree that Joey is the most normal (if you call his obsession with cats and him dating Squeak normal) but the nerds as a whole have not gotten “less weird” as seen with Lester’s gamenight and we’re still not that far from the Temple Crashers. As far as childishness goes he has matured some, like the other two, he does act more kid like then the rest of the pets including Peanut.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Joey picked up a girlfriend before Peanut for a reason (and no, it isn’t solely because he literally can pick her up), I will admit all the nerds are fairly immature, but I don’t think the difference in maturity between peanut and Joey is as big as you’re implying.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I'm not implying that the gap is big only that there is a difference.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm inclined to see the larger difference between the two is that Peanut's more the extrovert while Joey's an introvert, but that might be too much of an over-simplification.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Doesn't help that Joey seems to be immune to insults and be cut down but Peanut isn't.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Doesn't help that Joey seems to be immune to insults and be cut down but Peanut isn't.
Joey might be used to it, Bino is his brother after all.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It also depends on how long the two were raised as brothers though before they were adopted. Also, technically they would be cousins since Jeff and Jake are brothers (which means Max is Fido's cousin also. Through adoption that is.)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

True. It would be interesting to see when in their lives Fido, Bino, and Joey were adopted to their individual homes and how much time they spent as brothers. On a different subject, I’m wondering that when Maxwell snapped at the end of The Gallafax Protocol, and thought said he wasn’t good enough for anybody, whether he wasn’t just feeling inadequate for Grape, but whether he felt he felt guilty about not writing back to Rufus and undeserving of Rufus’love.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Doesn't help that Joey seems to be immune to insults and be cut down but Peanut isn't.
I think that is more of a common trait among nerds. It comes with the territory. I wonder if that is why Pete turned out the way he did?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
I think that is more of a common trait among nerds. It comes with the territory. I wonder if that is why Pete turned out the way he did?
Aren’t both Grape and Peanut clearly nerds as well? Peanut loves his video games and comic books, and those are some of the most common interests of nerds and there are few things nerdier than fanfic when you get down to it... not an insult by the way Fen, just in case you might take it that way.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We've never seen a story with Fido, Bino, and Joey together. Interesting possibilities there but unlikely.

Also, Grape seems to have undergone a kind of "de-nerd-ification" process as we see fewer and fewer arcs where it's just her and Peanut. Been a long time since they've played a game, done a duo skit, or one has told the other "I love you."
Last edited by NHWestoN on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Aren’t both Grape and Peanut clearly nerds as well? Peanut loves his video games and comic books, and those are some of the most common interests of nerds and there are few things nerdier than fanfic when you get down to it... not an insult by the way Fen, just in case you might take it that way.
I do love video games and comics (only comics about animals) but loving video game and comics is more of a stable of being a kid and an average boy cliche/stereotype. I don't think Peanut and Grape are nerds. Well, Peanut maybe but I think he grew out of that. Well, maybe not. I don't know. Thats a whole thing.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

... so are you agreeing with me that Peanut is immature or not?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:... so are you agreeing with me that Peanut is immature or not?
Yes he’s immature. He has made that clear on many occasions. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Doesn't mean he won't grow up eventually but he'll do it at the rate Rick wants him to.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:Speaking of finales, the last Pridelands book should have been published by now so I wonder if we’ll see Grape’s reaction to it especially considering everything they did to get it written.
I think the The End Of The Pridelands is going to come out as soon as Rick Griffin finds it convenient, no earlier or later.
fenrirblack wrote:They probably have screwed up pasts too. Mr. Bigglesworth alone is probably screwed up as is. There should be a story there about how one or all should be fighting for their independence and stand out from the rest like the Mysterious Racer B.
Why would they be fighting for independence? They are not miniature humans in cat suits. They already have a good life. Besides, The only downsides to sharing a name seems to be roll call and when mom miscounts for meals (and the second one isn't guaranteed to be fixed by giving each one a unique name). Additionally, being the same breed with the same name has it's upsides, for example "A few of them have fun with it in order to mess with the heads of animals who aren’t aware there’s more than one."
fenrirblack wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Not really sure how this will help because everybody hearing the story that Peanut is telling really isn't gonna help anybody care about Maxwell's personal history and they will just be gripped by the action-packed fiction that Peanut is telling and prefer that one. Just like Peanut prefers that one and won't ever acknowledge what REALLY happened. :?
What's really strange is not just Peanut retelling the story to be more dramatic but the weird lines of pseudo-social awareness. It happened before with "I'm a victim of circumstance" and now it's the perpetuation of the cycle of violence? What ever happened to good old violence, screaming at each other, and threatening one another with more violence? Peanut clearly needs to watch more anime. But then ninja's attack which is always a win. "It was dark, I was in my towel, when the ninja's attacked." :lol:
Maybe he's being meta to fill out a short action scene again.
NHWestoN wrote:Still, to be convincing, Rex would have to show us more of his maturation from a red-eyed cat-hater to someone a cat from the "B" clan might date. We'd want to see his feline friend make the transformation believable, too.

Transformations are tricky. I did mention before that I was a bit taken back to suddenly learn that Kevin, like Rex a basically caricatured comedian of the oafish, muscle-head type, had magically turned into Sasha's legally-sophisticated patron and an educated bourgeois gentleman. Gave me narrative whiplash.
I don't ship Rex and Mr. Bigglesworth because their pairing looks to me to have about as sound of logic as shipping Rex and Dallas because of this strip, but that's not what I want to talk about here. Kevin's "transformation" felt abrupt because he was shown time and again that he was a meathead type of person. On the other hand, with Rex most of the perception of "all brawn no brains" was just stereotyping based on his breed. His first appearances were getting angry at Grape and Peanut for the game and loving cats respectively, but quickly after that we see what he's like when he's by himself. Rex has an uncanny ability to taste minute differences in coffee blends, enjoys baking, was willing to go against the trend to read Pridelands and admit that he liked it (he even had a slight smile when he was looking at Peanut's drawing of a cat-tailed Canadian Pointer mix), and he was the only one to speak out that Bino's plan to get Sasha back was morally wrong. Rex being a cat lover himself would be a new development, but his intelligence hasn't ever come into question and it's reasonable for him to come up with his own opinion on cats when he's away from Fox and the pack mentality (Pridelands could've had an influence, too).
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not all of the Bigglesworths are full Siamese cats. Some of them are mixes which mean they might have something else in them but the Siamese gene was the stronger gene so they looked like that. I know its pedantic but them being the same breed isn't the problem. Its just them LOOKING alike and having the same name. :P
Argent

Post by Argent »

Cat breeds are a social construct.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not trying to get too serious or into adult themes here, but wouldn't that mean that human ethnicities are also?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Ethnicity is quite literally the social groups that make up who you are, so they are by definition a social construct :D
But, even if you substituted "race" in there, that wouldn't be too far from what many researchers believe ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When we start to get into cultures and how everything is classified, my head begins to spin so I'm gonna leave before I say something stupid.
Argent

Post by Argent »

That's exactly what I was referring to when I said "cat breeds are a social construct". :D :D :D :D :D
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @