2019/03/01 - Dramatic Retelling

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/03/01 - Dramatic Retelling

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/03/01 - Dramatic Retelling]
Title Text: and then, suddenly, ninjas!

Eh, who cares about historical accuracy, you got ratings to increase.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/03/01 - Dramatic Retelling

Post by Saturn381 »

Maybe Res can write the book version of Max's story.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Peanut, if something ever happens to me... tell my story.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Oh Peanut, please never change. :lol:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Seriously what is wrong with Peanut? :lol:

Now Peanut is stealing my thing. I’m the one who make up crazy stories and dialogue based on these characters to share with everyone. ;)
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

A little annoyed Max didn’t get at least an apology, but eh, Rick did need to conclude the arc. Will be a bit cynical though and say Sabrina and Peanut have not been redeemed yet in my eyes. Peanut is one of Max’s closest friends so it was kinda insulting to Max that he didn’t take his friend’s story seriously as is in the end, and Sabrina is usually one of the more responsible pets, so it actually be mildly out of character if she didn’t make sure she buried the hatches with Max
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

(LoudSqueeing Intensefiese)
Last edited by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Sweet Rex in the background has rapt attention. Even if Peanut is a good enough orator to fool Rex and Dallas, shouldn't Fido and Sabrina recognize he's making this up because they just heard it from Maxwell. We finally have concrete evidence for what gender the coyote was ("her mistake").
The cape comes with the promotion.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It's not what you tell but how.

Dallas is branching out from the nerd pack? Good for him.

It all depends how you tell the tale,
the reaction you get from the others.
The teller elicits the response you see,
from the sisters and the brothers.
Even Sabrina, whose heard it before,
listens intently to this new version;
the action tale of Mini Maxwell
has led her to a conversion.
And in the pool we spot Dallas,
Fido, Rex and a Bigglesworth bored,
not believing a word s/he hears
but, with the others, Peanut’s scored.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Peanut is following in the footsteps of the great Varrick: "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, kid!"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

You can almost hear the soundtrack in the background - yah gotta admit, the young fella's a natural screen writer! ........... Or tv commercial agent. So finally got an "Imaginate" even if it was just one panel.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It’s kinda sad we don’t see Tarot in this scene. I’m curious to see her reaction to her boyfriend put on a one man show.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I would’ve liked to see Peanut, at least, apologize, but Max has at least found some closure with Rufus. Also, I love Maxwell’s little smile in the last panel
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gotta admit - never expected this for an ending. They went back to the spa and find everyone is listening to Peanut's version of the story. Even Fido and Sabrina. Wow.

On the bright side, this makes Maxwell's story more personal for him and Grape. And hopefully this means more personal time for the two of them now that Grape knows what kind of person he is more.

Now go use the snuggle baths before the spa moves out, you two kitties :3

EDIT: On an interesting note - seems anytime Peanut tells a story, people listen to him more. Foreshadowing?

EDIT 2: So are we talking 9 part mini-series like IT the clown or Netflix? =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

So ends another arc. I enjoyed it, backstories are always fun. But I'm glad to see the series moving forward again. I can't think of a better way to mark the transition than a classic Peanut moment.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

The cogs are turning for Maxie.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Now that we are done with this chapter, we find ourselves at an interesting crossroads. The next chapter can either be another normal chapter or the Year 11 finale chapter. The final chapter historically start in April like almost always. The only ones that didn’t was Year 2 which didn’t have a real finale and Year 4 because the Trial in Heaven was so short. Then there is Year 9 that was one day off. Anyway, will Rick mix things up and do a longer more detailed final chapter or follow the normal routine and have one more chapter before the final? Most likely the later but who knows.

Speaking of finales, the last Pridelands book should have been published by now so I wonder if we’ll see Grape’s reaction to it especially considering everything they did to get it written.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

That's a nice ending, and finally Max found his inner peace with Rufus. :) Well, for Peanut doesn't seem to be so, Max. :P It's good that you can accept it. ;) Yeah, maybe Grape could involve Res into the idea to write new books based on this story. :P Eheh, Peanut, your fantasy is every time so much surprising! :D I agree with that the coyote is wondering. ;)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Now that we are done with this chapter, we find ourselves at an interesting crossroads. The next chapter can either be another normal chapter or the Year 11 finale chapter. The final chapter historically start in April like almost always. The only ones that didn’t was Year 2 which didn’t have a real finale and Year 4 because the Trial in Heaven was so short. Then there is Year 9 that was one day off. Anyway, will Rick mix things up and do a longer more detailed final chapter or follow the normal routine and have one more chapter before the final? Most likely the later but who knows.

Speaking of finales, the last Pridelands book should have been published by now so I wonder if we’ll see Grape’s reaction to it especially considering everything they did to get it written.
The fact that Res has still been banished from the mysterious land of CA-NA-DA by Rick is so bizarre. It’s not like the shipping war for which cat Grape ultimately likes more in that way
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Macsen wrote:The cogs are turning for Maxie.
Courtesy of Grape. This is going to be a thing :3
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So, here's to you, Rufus, from one geezer to another. Been just a joy to see you again. Happy horizons and don't be so long next time..... :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not really sure how this will help because everybody hearing the story that Peanut is telling really isn't gonna help anybody care about Maxwell's personal history and they will just be gripped by the action-packed fiction that Peanut is telling and prefer that one. Just like Peanut prefers that one and won't ever acknowledge what REALLY happened. :?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

They probably have screwed up pasts too. Mr. Bigglesworth alone is probably screwed up as is. There should be a story there about how one or all should be fighting for their independence and stand out from the rest like the Mysterious Racer B. Anyway, Sabrina, we know has had a hard life being moved around so much a kitten only to be essentially abandoned by her owner. Fido is pretty put together but he and Max have never really been a thing. Rex is the same way. Have those two ever had an actual conversation or interacted in any meaningful way? Dallas is well, Dallas. He exists in his little bubble anyway.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Not really sure how this will help because everybody hearing the story that Peanut is telling really isn't gonna help anybody care about Maxwell's personal history and they will just be gripped by the action-packed fiction that Peanut is telling and prefer that one. Just like Peanut prefers that one and won't ever acknowledge what REALLY happened. :?

Maxwell might prefer that is something that only he and Grape know about, it could be a special connection between the two of them, even if they don’t end up as romantic partners.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Not really sure how this will help because everybody hearing the story that Peanut is telling really isn't gonna help anybody care about Maxwell's personal history and they will just be gripped by the action-packed fiction that Peanut is telling and prefer that one. Just like Peanut prefers that one and won't ever acknowledge what REALLY happened. :?
What's really strange is not just Peanut retelling the story to be more dramatic but the weird lines of pseudo-social awareness. It happened before with "I'm a victim of circumstance" and now it's the perpetuation of the cycle of violence? What ever happened to good old violence, screaming at each other, and threatening one another with more violence? Peanut clearly needs to watch more anime. But then ninja's attack which is always a win. "It was dark, I was in my towel, when the ninja's attacked." :lol:
Prof

Post by Prof »

Peanut embellishing Max' story reminds me somehow of "Where the water tastes like wine". It is a game about storytelling. The by far most interesting part of the game is, when a story grows and changes during retelling - often in a unexpected direction ^_^

link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/4471 ... Like_Wine/
Drop in and stroll around: My gallery

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

GameCobra wrote:
Macsen wrote:The cogs are turning for Maxie.
Courtesy of Grape. This is going to be a thing :3
It’s weird how often the lack of named cats in the comic comes up, Sabrina I think was literally the only cat that wasn’t there and that’s merely because Max didn’t want his ex showing up
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Outside of Grape and Maxwell, cat characters do no seem to flourish in "Babylon Gardens". Marvin's been long time gone (Tiger, too, I guess).

There's been some ruminations about the Bigglesworth bunch, but that poses some narrative background problems. The "B" cats originated as a parody of the "crazy-cat" lady and never seemed destined to develop beyond single-strips or one panel walk-ons. Having so many of the poses another challenge - Do you elaborate one or two characters, giving them names and reveal personalities as well, and let the others stay in the shadows? Or they become a sort of collective personality working on a communal project (a birthday gift for their "Mom" or start the Good Ol'Cars club or found a business with "Four-Fingered Jack" or Gale Puma. )

either way, building the Bigglesworths would take a gradual evolution. There's been a very intriguing theme of paring Rex the Bulldog romantically with one of the "B" cats. I have some reservations there, but that 's likely just me. True, very, very, very early on in the strip, Rick introduces us to the Fido-Sabrina dog-cat couple but you get to do such sudden narrative "lurches" at the beginning.

Rex himself is one of the "present-at-the-creation figures. Although he very rarely appears anymore, the stories which feature the muscular, grouchy overbearing thuggish bull dog to a more sensitive, cultivated, kindly soul with strings reservations about Bino, his boss. Still, to be convincing, Rex would have to show us more of his maturation from a red-eyed cat-hater to someone a cat from the "B" clan might date. We'd want to see his feline friend make the transformation believable, too.

Transformations are tricky. I did mention before that I was a bit taken back to suddenly learn that Kevin, like Rex a basically caricatured comedian of the oafish, muscle-head type, had magically turned into Sasha's legally-sophisticated patron and an educated bourgeois gentleman. Gave me narrative whiplash. Okay, it's Rick's world; he can turn all his "Housepets" into garden flowers if he likes - and ill still read this comic. But, for me, making Kevin her permanent squeeze, mechanically removing "Daddy" Hartford from the scene (and all the unresolved issues about him and Sasha), shutting her out of Fox's life - well, for me, it just makes Sasha much less poignant, much less beguiling, much less unpredictable, much less interesting. And, I hate to bend anybody's CB antenna, but now Kevin's even more of a good than before. Or so thinks I.

So if there's A "Romantic Rex" in Rick's storyfile - okay! I love bringing back the long-time character must like Rick did with Rufus, the Barn Cats, and Sabre-Tooth Girl. But develop it out, please - you'll get more of us sentimental types hooked.
Regards. ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Don't forget Fiddler and Keys and Jasper and Delusional Steve.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:Don't forget Fiddler and Keys and Jasper and Delusional Steve.
How could we remember them? Collectively they all barely can handle a one-off, Jasper not even that. And Delustional Steve isn’t even a Babylon Gardens resident
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well at least Fiddler and Keys then. We still need to solve the mystery about their genders!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I never forgot about Fiddler and Keys. x3

I just think they are a travelling band of cats at this point. Unless Rick wants us to do a world tour arc for them. That would be fun. =P

Marvin, on the otherhand... poor Marvin.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Saturn381 wrote:Maybe Res can write the book version of Max's story.
fenrirblack wrote:Seriously what is wrong with Peanut? :lol:

Now Peanut is stealing my thing. I’m the one who make up crazy stories and dialogue based on these characters to share with everyone. ;)
In a world, were even the characters are writing fanfic.... :lol:
Gameb18oy wrote:A little annoyed Max didn’t get at least an apology, but eh, Rick did need to conclude the arc. Will be a bit cynical though and say Sabrina and Peanut have not been redeemed yet in my eyes.
I like to think they are just going to apologize off-screen.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:Maybe Res can write the book version of Max's story.
fenrirblack wrote:Seriously what is wrong with Peanut? :lol:

In a world, were even the characters are writing fanfic.... :lol:
Gameb18oy wrote:A little annoyed Max didn’t get at least an apology, but eh, Rick did need to conclude the arc. Will be a bit cynical though and say Sabrina and Peanut have not been redeemed yet in my eyes.
I like to think they are just going to apologize off-screen.
I really wish Rick would do that less, if the audience doesn’t see it, it’s practically like it didn’t happen.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:We still need to solve the mystery about their genders!
we already did, months ago, a thread got taken over by discussion of calico genetics because of it. you were there.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was talking about officially but yeah if that is the case, then I will drop it. Also I can't remember what goes on from a few months back. I can barely remember a week ago, :|
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Gameb18oy wrote:I really wish Rick would do that less, if the audience doesn’t see it, it’s practically like it didn’t happen.
I have to disagree, because it keeps up the pace of the story. Yeah, it'd be nice to see every small event happen but that's unnecessary as long as we can see the characters progress, or at least being amicable to each other in the future in this case. Just like how Fox used to be the king of things happening off-panel, we can fill in the blanks ourselves with good accuracy most of the time.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Postcard wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:I really wish Rick would do that less, if the audience doesn’t see it, it’s practically like it didn’t happen.
I have to disagree, because it keeps up the pace of the story. Yeah, it'd be nice to see every small event happen but that's unnecessary as long as we can see the characters progress, or at least being amicable to each other in the future in this case. Just like how Fox used to be the king of things happening off-panel, we can fill in the blanks ourselves with good accuracy most of the time.
Fair argument, but there are times it’s been unbeneficial as well. Elements of relationships like those between peanut and Tarot and Grape and Max have been unclear to us despite them being around for more than any of the other ones present for the easiest example I can give you.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Postcard wrote:
Fair argument, but there are times it’s been unbeneficial as well. Elements of relationships like those between peanut and Tarot and Grape and Max have been unclear to us despite them being around for more than any of the other ones present for the easiest example I can give you.
Well to be fair, i'm certain the fans are mostly focused on the relationship between a select few characters. Over the years I just came to enjoy when Rick gives certain characters unexpected spotlights that we probably wouldn't expect at times. Fox is an example.

Rufus, however, was a huge unexpected character and Rick gave him amazing characterization, but part of this characterization went hand-in-hand with Maxwell, who also didn't have as much characterization (Also because he's one of my personal favorites, of course, so i can't leave that out x3). It's characterization like this for characters that put this seemingly small arc right ontop of my list of favorites already. I like to see more characterizations like this for characters.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

This is why backstory is important. At this point we need to get all the pets in a room, put them in a circle, put on a cup of coffee, and have everyone go around the room and talk about the stupid carp from their lives. Then clap afterwards. Then have a good cry.