2019/03/08 - Scheduling Conflict

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/03/08 - Scheduling Conflict

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/03/08 - Scheduling Conflict]
Title Text: when you're bored of hottubbing you make your own fun

:shock:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/03/08 - Scheduling Conflict

Post by fenrirblack »

Oh man, this is the beginning of the Tarot story Rick talked about a few months back. I knew it was coming but I thought we had more time.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Oh... so we’re going to reevaluate Tarot’s and Peanut’s relationship... oh...
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So it's been almost ten years later, and Grape still doesn't trust Tarot. :lol:
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

"[Tarot] cannot leave unless [Grape] accept Peanut fully, and in order to do that, [Grape] would have to break Maxwell's heart"
That ultimatum doesn't stand anymore because Tarot has fallen in love with Peanut since then and the game is over, but it's interesting to think about if Tarot would step aside if Grape tried to make grapenut happen.
The cape comes with the promotion.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Tarot's slowly becoming what she intended to avoid with Dragon. Greaaaaat...
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Ooh! Tarot’s gonna get a speaking to by Grape. Potentially more character development in the near future? =3
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Max shows he can handle his soda. Even if it does look like an Orange can?

And now, in the sparkling spa,
the Cats need to speak with Tarot
about her need to control it all;
especially her life with her beau.
It’s noted she leaves nothing to chance
in any aspect of her new life
and it’s that need to control it all
that’s bringing Grape to strife.
She loves her ‘nut as much as Max,
she even talked to him ‘bout it
because, on the matter of affection,
he knows more than he’ll admit.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Anyway, why are they still at the spa? Even Keene’s left and it’s March. It’s been five months. Seriously go home.

Peanut is too pure for this world and needs a firm hand to guide him and tell him what to do. Whether or not that hand should be Tarot’s is up for debate but he definitely can’t decide for himself.

This might be another relationship that might make it or break it depending on the outcome. As far as Grape is concerned she should be more worried about who she wants to be with either Max or Res *cough Res
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Scheduling Peanut" ... How much have you learned about the lad after all these years, Tarot? He's not the only one not paying attention, silly!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:Anyway, why are they still at the spa? Even Keene’s left and it’s March. It’s been five months. Seriously go home.
Five months?

In their time it's been one night.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I am all on board for some Peanut/Tarot development! Especially if it comes paired with some Grape/Max :D
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Anyway, why are they still at the spa? Even Keene’s left and it’s March. It’s been five months. Seriously go home.
Five months?

In their time it's been one night.
Well it’s probably been longer than that for the snow to melt but my point stands.

Wait is this the Hotel California? Is that what’s happening? :)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Peanut is too pure for this world and needs a firm hand to guide him and tell him what to do. Whether or not that hand should be Tarot’s is up for debate but he definitely can’t decide for himself.

This might be another relationship that might make it or break it depending on the outcome. As far as Grape is concerned she should be more worried about who she wants to be with either Max or Res *cough Res
I mean, no ones exactly tired of it yet in or outside the comic, so I’m fine with it. Also got to love the rapidfire high quality arcs shown in this place, there’s a slight chance Rick did it this way so he could setup all the character development arcs together without worrying about the background changing drastically for each arc and having to setup why people are in certain locations, smart move if I’m not pulling that idea out of nowhere. Considering the problems with the Peanut Tarot relationship, I’m very onboard with this being the next arc. Wonder what Rick will feel delve into, as alongside both of them needing attention given to their character growth, Tarot is probably the character we know the least of their past on, so lot to pull from here... also it’s worrying that Max and Grape were talking like they feel the two should break up possibly
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

So How Do You Guys Think MAX Will ReAct When GRAPE Get's So Worried About PEANUT He's All GRAPE Thinks About?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Should they break up, Peanut and Tarot I mean (I already cast my vote on the other two)? Honestly their relationship is pretty harmless. I mean I wouldn’t call it healthy or normal or sensible or natural or typical or....hang on where was I going with this? Oh right, I guess what I’m trying to say is they’re young (well Peanut anyway we don’t know about Tarot and now that’s it’s out there I’m starting to wonder) and I doubt either one is really thinking about the long run like kids or a family so it’s fine for right now. Like I said Peanut needs a firm hand to keep him from getting killed when he inevitably gets into trouble again. One day if Peanut ever actually grows up or matured then he can find a real girlfriend that is much more compatible. It’s not like Grapenut will ever be a real thing but I do admire Grape for watching out for him like a big sister.

Although if Rick really wanted to mix things up he could have them break up. In all honesty relationships in this series are so dull. Everyone has been together since at least year 2. The only relationship that ended was Bino and Sasha and the joke was that the relationship was not even stable.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

I Agree And Your Response To My Last Comment?
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

I'm wondering: is Max genuinely respecting Peanut's liking of Tarot... or is he actually subtly trying to get Grape's mind off Peanut (and preserve Peanut's and Tarot's relationship) because deep down he's jealous of the time she and Peanut spend together (including dates)?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Oh, Yes. I'm pumped yet again. <3 2019 is nothing short of awesome for this comic.

I can't tell of this is a Peanut/Tarot arc or a Peanut/Grape/Max/Tarot arc. I'm getting some N-Ple date arc vibes here, but what's got me excited is that both Max and Grape are looking out for Peanut and Tarot's well being now. Were they always like this or did Rufus get them thinking more about their futures? I can't wait to see where they are going with this.

Also, Max is drinking orange soda. Like King. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Ohhh boy, here we go... I'm glad to see we'll start seeing some serious development with Peanut and Tarot. I love both of them, but their relationship concerns me. Time for the confrontation... Why do we have to wait till Monday?! :(

Edit: Also, "Scheduling Conflict" is a worrying title for the first comic of a new arc
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

I'm Pretty Sure MAX Is Just Trying To Get GRAPE'S Mind Off Of PEANUT"
Rorick

Post by Rorick »

fenrirblack wrote:Oh right, I guess what I’m trying to say is they’re young (well Peanut anyway we don’t know about Tarot and now that’s it’s out there I’m starting to wonder) and I doubt either one is really thinking about the long run like kids or a family so it’s fine for right now.
Are they really though? Young that is. It's well established that the comic runs in real time, not counting within an individual arc or arc series itself. All the main characters have to be at least twelve or thirteen years old. On top of that, as least as I last remember, Housepets pets only live about twice as long as real pets. Stretching that out for dogs to be 15 years real time, that would put a Housepets dog's lifespan at around 30, which would make all the characters middle aged by now. Granted, mental and physical age aren't inherently synonymous, especially with pets, but I think the point still stands.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, two contradictory developments noted. At the beginning of the spa arc (:"spa-ark"? ... sorry), we actually saw Tarot looking really HAPPY in Peanut's company. But now here's Tarot apparently about to launch into the deadly "This-relationship-must-change-so-I'm-gonna-change-YOU!" mode.

So ... let's just see ....

...and, normally, I don't speculate much ... but I have a vague feeling somehow agreeing with the folks who think (or really, really want) Res just might turn up.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm going with the long speculation I've always had with their relationship since Tarot lost her powers:

Peanut is the heart of the relationship.
Tarot is the brains.

Tarot likes to work and Peanut likes to play.

Even the arc's name feels like it's going in that direction, but then again - Hearts and Minds has different romantic meaning, so we'll have to see where this goes.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Whatever I Just Want To See MAX Jealous
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok gonna be completely honest here. I can't wait to see this arc, this has been needed for a long time now. I have never kept it a secret that I never liked the Peanut/Tarot relationship and I hope this either takes it in a more interesting and healthier direction, as honestly everything we have seen of it shows that it doesn't seem to be good for either of them, especially since Dragon left. Or it ends it outright as Tarot seems to work better as a distant side character anyway and Peanut could use a more interesting and active relationship to spice things up in the comic.
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

I have to admit, for a long time I found Tarot boring as a character, but she's grown on me over time. She's very funny, and thus, fun, in her own sort of way, so even if she and Peanut do break up, I would love to see her stick around.

That being said, the Tarot/Peanut relationship is obviously messed up (though it is a kind of amusing running gag). Grape is absolutely right; Peanut has a pretty classic case of I love everybody. He really lacks specific attraction to Tarot; she basically declared himself his girlfriend and Peanut was okay with that because, well, he's Peanut. But Peanut seems really bad at actually showing affection spontaneously for her; I think the only time he really has was when they went back in time together and she was stressed out and he went over to comfort her at night.

This is in contrast to Grape, who he seems to show much more conscientiousness towards. Heck, he seems to show more conscientiousness towards lots of people than Tarot, whose presence he often just sort of acknowledges, but who he fails to really interface with normally.

Meanwhile, Tarot more or less controls the relationship (like she does so many other things) in spite of the fact that Peanut behaves in such a weird manner. It's not that Peanut can't ever be affectionate, it's that she basically has to tell him to do so. I don't know that the relationship is really satisfying her needs, either.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Rorick wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Oh right, I guess what I’m trying to say is they’re young (well Peanut anyway we don’t know about Tarot and now that’s it’s out there I’m starting to wonder) and I doubt either one is really thinking about the long run like kids or a family so it’s fine for right now.
Are they really though? Young that is. It's well established that the comic runs in real time, not counting within an individual arc or arc series itself. All the main characters have to be at least twelve or thirteen years old. On top of that, as least as I last remember, Housepets pets only live about twice as long as real pets. Stretching that out for dogs to be 15 years real time, that would put a Housepets dog's lifespan at around 30, which would make all the characters middle aged by now. Granted, mental and physical age aren't inherently synonymous, especially with pets, but I think the point still stands.
You remember the first Housepets flashback arc to when the pets were kittens and puppies? Grape was shown to be younger than most of the cast, and she’s around Peanut’s age. While it’s unclear how old Tarot is, in fact she has a good chance of being old just like Sabrina, Peanut is definitely a younger dog
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Rorick wrote:
You remember the first Housepets flashback arc to when the pets were kittens and puppies? Grape was shown to be younger than most of the cast, and she’s around Peanut’s age. While it’s unclear how old Tarot is, in fact she has a good chance of being old just like Sabrina, Peanut is definitely a younger dog
Plus it’s been established repeatedly that the story runs on “comic time” so they don’t really “age” and even if they did peanut would only be probably sixteen by now so he’s still not mature enough for a real relationship. It might be an interesting development for this arc if Tarot decides to really get serious with Peanut and start talking about kids. I guess it’s not that much of a stretch but Grape would definitely lose it. Imagine a bunch of little Peanuts running around the house. What would the names be Cheese Sandwich, Rye, and Toast.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:Plus it’s been established repeatedly that the story runs on “comic time” so they don’t really “age” and even if they did peanut would only be probably sixteen by now so he’s still not mature enough for a real relationship.
True, but if the natural lifespan is 30-40 years, 16 would equate to about mid to late 20s for a human.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Probably these are being the last moments of enjoying the spa, I guess. :P Uhm, how come you're having such thoughts, Grape? Max is right, let's leave him free to go with who he wants... Peanut is very friendly, and apparently, he considers Tarot more like his best friend than his girlfriend... Eventually, it'll happen one day. ;) I like your schedule to do with him, Tarot. :D Well, let's see what Grape will have to complain with Tarot. :roll:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Interesting. It could be that Maxwell and Grape were discussing their relationship and that brought up Peanut and Tarot, since they became couples at about the same time. I think that Max does truly believe that Peanut should be consulted, because he is Max’s friend as well being Grape’s sibling.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

see my signature
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Panel #3 puts it how Grape feels, I think.

Tarot is planning everything HARD, down to the second. Nothing is being left to chance. She is, for lack of a more accurate term, being Obsessive/compulsive about the whole thing.

And her Boyfriend is the most Hyperactive character there is.

Grape knows she can't calm Peanut without medication. Dog knows she's tried. But maybe, just maybe, she can convince Tarot to loosen her need for planning control somewhat? Otherwise, Peanut & Tarot is forever going to be this compulsive and uneven relationship.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, since we really haven't seen a Tarot-Grape conversation since the whole Peanut-Grape-Maxwell-Tarot quadrille began back in year two, this should be really interesting. Since Grape pronounced Tarot insane and Tarot rather pompously dictated to Grape to chose Max or Peanut, the two have had a kind of brittle truce between them. (Oh, don't tell me you've already forgotten the hostile stares Grape and Tarot exchanged at tea-and-cakes in the chase scene in Temple Crashers??!!) Tarot's a control freak and Grape's not famous for any diplomatic skills I recall. Sooooooooooooo ... might get colorful.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Panel #3 puts it how Grape feels, I think.

Tarot is planning everything HARD, down to the second. Nothing is being left to chance. She is, for lack of a more accurate term, being Obsessive/compulsive about the whole thing.

Grape knows she can't calm Peanut without medication. Dog knows she's tried. But maybe, just maybe, she can convince Tarot to loosen her need for planning control somewhat? Otherwise, Peanut & Tarot is forever going to be this compulsive and uneven relationship.
You bring up a good point. It does seem like Tarot plans everything ahead time but I don't think I ever seen her be, you know, spontaneous. She of all people should know that you can't plan ahead as the future is always changing.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sounds like Grape is gonna try to convince Tarot to back off a little bit and not be so annoyed with Peanut. If that fails, I can see Grape telling Tarot to walk away or convincing Peanut that Tarot isn't good for him.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Considering Peanut has never been in any other relationship besides the one with Tarot he probably doesn't realize how unhealthy this one is. His only other real relationship was with Grape which ended with him having his heart broken even if they did reconcile. Tarot is so controlling because she uses logic to dictate everything in her life. She used her future seeing powers so much and now that power is gone and I don't think she ever truly recovered. Her reaction with Kitsune after the Temple Crashers was a clear indication that there is a craving for power or to be in control of her world and the world at large. It has to be her way. Peanut is so oblivious that he really doesn't care. To him Tarot is exciting and fills in a hole that he once though Grape could fill. I said before that the relationship is harmless but its definitely something that either should end down the line or change in a big way.
SeanWolf wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Panel #3 puts it how Grape feels, I think.

You bring up a good point. It does seem like Tarot plans everything ahead time but I don't think I ever seen her be, you know, spontaneous. She of all people should know that you can't plan ahead as the future is always changing.
Remember the time she told Peanut that he was going to tell her about their date
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sometimes, the Peanut-Tarot relationship seems not only not spontaneous but mechanical. It's as of Tarot has decided she is now at the have -a-relationship time of her life so she's going to have-a-relationship and, since Dragon wanted it to be with Peanut, good, that solves all the fuss and courtship uncertainty. Now that Dragon's gone, I guess I'll continue because that's what one does, doesn't one? Similarly, Peanut seems to be operating out of the How to Be a Boyfriend Maunal, acting without intuition, emotion, but noting with self-congratulations whenever he successfully does a "good boy friend" deed. They like each other but there don't seem to be any real points of intersection or contact. There's little empathy or maturity, although Peanut is certainly kind and Tarot forebearing. Or lasting growth. Guess we'll see.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Generally when someone decides that they want to have a relationship at a point they feel is good in their life, it doesn't work out because you can't force things.

Though it would make things so much easier for me if it could. :P