2019/03/18 - If You Love Something

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/03/18 - If You Love Something

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/03/18 - If You Love Something]
Title Text: why would you let go of something you love, that sounds like less love to me

Love is such an unknowable yet powerful emotion.

Doesn't help when you're going in the opposite direction, though, Tarot.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/03/18 - If You Love Something

Post by Saturn381 »

Love is a many weird and complicating things.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well, it makes sense she would want to be more like Peanut. She had so much serious stuff going on for such a long time in her life. Control seems to be the only thing she honestly knows however and doesn't know when or likely even how to turn it off.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Tarot is so darn adorable in the second panel but Max is being such a cat. We got the “love” word out of Tarot. That’s not nothing.
The cape comes with the promotion.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

The next question they ask Tarot needs to be what her definition of "love" is. She might be getting it mixed up with "ownership." After being Dragon's pawn for so long that might be understandable, but Tarot needs an update, nonetheless.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Has she ever said that she loves him before?

This sounds less like love and more like he’s this strange unknowable thing that she needs to understand. She doesn’t love Peanut as much as she loves what Peanut is. Or it could be a simple case of dominance in the relationship. Or her controlling could stimulate from a fear of rejection and/or abandonment. Either way this relationship still doesn’t seem very healthy.

They’re totally going to break up. :D
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I have to admit though, this is extremely unhealthy on Tarots part. Yes, you can and should learn from your partner but being in a relationship for that sole reason is really not good at all. Because after she feels she has learned what she wants where is the relationship to go after that?
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Tarot’s likeability as a character just went up a whole lot for me. Yay for character development! :)

You know who could use a little of that control in his life? Max. ;) (To help him with his catnip addiction)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
OilPaws

Post by OilPaws »

Oh dear... I just don't know if this can work. I'm more convinced that she's acclimated to the idea of having a boyfriend and doesn't want to break her routine than I am that she truly loves him. If she's so adamant on controlling and correcting Peanut's behavior, then it obviously isn't making her happy. She wants to be more like him despite lacking interest in Peanut's hobbies. Tarot doesn't know who she is or what she needs. I kind of feel for her...
Please presume I have no idea what I'm doing; it's okay. I do not. : )
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

OilPaws wrote:Oh dear... I just don't know if this can work. I'm more convinced that she's acclimated to the idea of having a boyfriend and doesn't want to break her routine than I am that she truly loves him. If she's so adamant on controlling and correcting Peanut's behavior, then it obviously isn't making her happy. She wants to be more like him despite lacking interest in Peanut's hobbies. Tarot doesn't know who she is or what she needs. I kind of feel for her...
I have to agree with that last part strongly. At this point, I am wondering if this is going towards a "Tarot goes on a journey of Self Discovery" kind of deal. It really seems like she needs it. So not like a break up for Tarot and Peanut (though still possible) but more like a break so Tarot can figure out who she really is away from Peanut and the Magic stuff. I think that would be really cool.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Right now it feels like Tarot sees Peanut less like a boyfriend and more like well her pet. We love our pets and we want to do right by them while also controlling their more annoying behaviors. Tarot acting more like Peanuts owner who sees her dog acting all care free and thinks “why can’t I be more like that?”

It could also be that she sees Peanut less a boyfriend but more like a friend who is a boy. Her “love” is like Grapes love for Peanut in that it is a love between two friends who are close as siblings. Its not Romantic love.
AgentJX7

Post by AgentJX7 »

TBH? This discussion has been a long time coming. Tarot and Peanut's relationship has seemed off for like... the all of it.

The whole thing started because Dragon was trying to screw with Pete's plans, and needed all the people he was interested in as his avatar to be in relationships so that he couldn't use them as a "dream sunderer" or whatever. But whereas Grape and Maxwell started dating of their own accord (IIRC) and Fido and Sabrina have actual chemistry, the only reason Tarot had any interest in Peanut was because Dragon told her to. Now, she does say later that she decided to keep with him on her own, but that's an unhealthy foundation for a relationship to begin with.
leinglo wrote:The next question they ask Tarot needs to be what her definition of "love" is. She might be getting it mixed up with "ownership." After being Dragon's pawn for so long that might be understandable, but Tarot needs an update, nonetheless.
Yeah, this sums up the rest of my thoughts pretty well.

And yes, I do ship Grapenut, but more importantly I want my boy to be happy
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Ok Tarot, you want to be better but you know that getting there is not easy
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

A Max smile is always welcome
in these most difficult of times;
even as he listens to Tarot
and she tells of her paradigms.
She wants to learn from him her love
but cannot learn without teaching;
she’s too wound tight to just relax;
too fond of talk to stop preaching.
‘Can’t tear the one you love apart’
sang Sting and it really is true.
Sometimes you can control their act;
sometimes? Let them do what they do.

STING- If you love somebody set them free
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Contradiction, dear, contradiction.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

It's just occurred to me, but it seems like most of the arcs since the game ended have mostly been concerned with either cleaning up the game's leftovers or healing or otherwise addressing the psychological damage the game caused to everyone involved.
AgentJX7

Post by AgentJX7 »

actual image of the inside of Max's brain at the end of the comic
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Aw, Tarot is such a cute controlling egomaniac. :D

Makes sense though; Peanut is a very affable and generally happy fellow, and Tarot is... kind of a little ball of tension.

I do think she holds genuine affection for him, but she doesn't really understand how to show it, and their whole relationship is kind of awkwardly distant because she more or less has to demand affection while Peanut seems to honestly not be hugely into her - it's been something of a running joke that he kind of acknowledges her presence rather than act really excited to see her. And while Peanut is kind of an idiot like that, it means that Peanut is kind of bad at fulfilling her emotional needs without prompting.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Titanium Dragon wrote:Aw, Tarot is such a cute controlling egomaniac. :D

Makes sense though; Peanut is a very affable and generally happy fellow, and Tarot is... kind of a little ball of tension.

I do think she holds genuine affection for him, but she doesn't really understand how to show it, and their whole relationship is kind of awkwardly distant because she more or less has to demand affection while Peanut seems to honestly not be hugely into her - it's been something of a running joke that he kind of acknowledges her presence rather than act really excited to see her. And while Peanut is kind of an idiot like that, it means that Peanut is kind of bad at fulfilling her emotional needs without prompting.
Honestly I couldn't said it better.

I also think it's important to notice that even though Tarot got together with Peanut, because of Dragon, it was several times shown she does genuinely like Peanut and honestly there aren't many Pets who outright said they love their boyfriend/girlfriend.
I guess the reason why she is so controlling is, because she was for a long time controlled by Dragon in many respects and so doesn't know any better.
Personally I give her Plus-points for acknowledging she needs to let go and be happier with everything.
Sure her methods aren't the best, but she still wants to work on that.

It's seems a problem with their relationship seems to be that both expect from their partner to be some sort of anchor or reliable help with certain things.
I think the next question both should be ask should be "What do you think you GIVE the other one?" and not just focusing on the wanting.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
Titanium Dragon wrote:Aw, Tarot is such a cute controlling egomaniac. :D

Honestly I couldn't said it better.

I also think it's important to notice that even though Tarot got together with Peanut, because of Dragon, it was several times shown she does genuinely like Peanut and honestly there aren't many Pets who outright said they love their boyfriend/girlfriend.
I guess the reason why she is so controlling is, because she was for a long time controlled by Dragon in many respects and so doesn't know any better.
Personally I give her Plus-points for acknowledging she needs to let go and be happier with everything.
Sure her methods aren't the best, but she still wants to work on that.

It's seems a problem with their relationship seems to be that both expect from their partner to be some sort of anchor or reliable help with certain things.
I think the next question both should be ask should be "What do you think you GIVE the other one?" and not just focusing on the wanting.
It basically boiled down to, from what i'm seeing in this comic ~ that the two of them needed advice. They like each other, but they just wanted to keep things going the way it is because Peanut is too nice and Tarot thought she was doing the right thing.

I'm adoring Maxwell's suddenly super cheerful attitude, btw. <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Xane wrote:
AgentJX7 wrote:But whereas Grape and Maxwell started dating of their own accord (IIRC) and Fido and Sabrina have actual chemistry, the only reason Tarot had any interest in Peanut was because Dragon told her to.
We know Dragon is a water elemental, so the rainstorm that just HAPPENED to occur when Grape was going to break up with Max because at the time she wasn't serious about it after one date was a little suspicious.

Who suggested to Max to call Grape in the first place? Sabrina was also one of Dragon's pawns. It's speculation, but she could have subtly pushed Max into doing it.

What we saw on-screen was all horribly manipulative so it's not really any stretch to think Dragon was doing everything possible to manipulate events while Pete was still trapped (to stop him from escaping, or at the very least, getting a good avatar).
Funny, I mentioned once that Dragon manipulated the weather, since she could clearly control water, as a water Elemental. Of course, I never stated water elemental, but considering how when it rained from her being upset and clearly Loosing Control of her powers, I figured she could command the Element of Water.

However I didn’t know the Sabrina part, or that she mentioned telling Grape Max was open.

But yes, the fact that their relationships all started on being rigged to be together, especially with how Tarot and Peanut's are sorely lacking in Chemistry, it doesn't matter if Cosmic Matchmaker. Unless Tarot tries, it ain't gonna fly. Why? Because Peanut isn't the problem. Tarot is.

People can say, 'Oh, it so cyuuute that Tarot admits her feeling', until you realize that Maxwell brings up a Big point: Tarot trying to Control Peanut, will only break his Spirit.

Why? Because even for all of Peanut being an Easy-going Pet, there is a limit. Artists can be limited to a Degree, but the moment you try policing everything they make, you get an Artist who Snaps. And when Controlling starts becoming Policing, That's when the problem rises up.

Tarot is focusing too much on Peanut's Happy-go-lucky state, and gets highly offended at his daftness, which in recent strips for Peanut, is almost 60-80% of his Screentime. She isn’t taking him for his flaws along with his good... Even though I feel Rick has been Subtly flanderizing Peanut's flaws.

I mean, when was the last time we saw him with an actual Scowl, or genuine anger? I understand "Happy go lucky" is Peanut's default state, but now it feels like he is almost completely detached from in-universe Reality, on the Level of Caboose!
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Argent

Post by Argent »

I think what she really needs is some of Peanut's medications.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Peanut on his own can get a little out of control.

Tarot is all about control

Two opposite sides and in between may lie balance.

Peanut can show Tarot how to let go a little more, while she may be able to ground him. Being grounded, in control of yourself, doesn't mean you reduce your happiness.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Love takes many forms. Even if what they have now doesn't work, if the love is there, there's always a chance.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, Tarot, points for honest self-disclosure. So, Peanut, that tells you ... what? No, put down the pencils!

Increasingly, Peanut's taking up pencils and paper resembles a form of animal behavior known as "disassociation" where an animal tries to ignore something that makes it anxious but cannot change. For the first couple of years, our dog, Sophie, refused to acknowledge the cat. After being reprimanded for growling at him, she very studiously ignored him, even when he would lay down beside her on the couch.

Thus, when Maxwell's kitten tale sent his anxiety level into outer earth orbit, Peanut handles the stress first by starting a Spot saga and then by enacting the story as a screenplay block buster. Art's where you find it, eh?

So, how to handle this "revelation", eh?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

So Tarot wants to be more like Peanut but doesn't know how, hm? Do I sense a montage in the future?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

SeanWolf wrote:So Tarot wants to be more like Peanut but doesn't know how, hm? Do I sense a montage in the future?
You mean like in Rocky, but instead of training really really hard, Tarot plays video games really really hard?
You know, who could maybe really help? Squeak and Joey.
Think about it, those two really are different but still have common interests, so maybe they could help....and even if not their attempt could be really funny :lol:

Maybe Tarot joins Joey and his friends for a round of D&D to become more relaxed?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just looking at the last panel, is anybody concerned that Tarot thinks love is control? :|
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

A "montage" or a "mélange"? ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Just looking at the last panel, is anybody concerned that Tarot thinks love is control? :|
I imagine that that's the point, and considering that she was likely raised by a pretty much immature deity, this can't be too much of a surprise.

Which is why a heart to heart with Draig would be interesting.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

Well This Should Be Good"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

D-Rock wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Just looking at the last panel, is anybody concerned that Tarot thinks love is control? :|
I imagine that that's the point, and considering that she was likely raised by a pretty much immature deity, this can't be too much of a surprise.

Which is why a heart to heart with Draig would be interesting.
A heart to heart with Ddraig would likely end up with a paw to throat scenario.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Argent

Post by Argent »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:So Tarot wants to be more like Peanut but doesn't know how, hm? Do I sense a montage in the future?
You mean like in Rocky, but instead of training really really hard, Tarot plays video games really really hard?
And at the end she's winning Overwatch trophies and Peanut is watching her on TV and telling $NEWDOG that he used to know here when she lived here.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

John-056 wrote:
Xane wrote:
AgentJX7 wrote:But whereas Grape and Maxwell started dating of their own accord (IIRC) and Fido and Sabrina have actual chemistry, the only reason Tarot had any interest in Peanut was because Dragon told her to.
We know Dragon is a water elemental, so the rainstorm that just HAPPENED to occur when Grape was going to break up with Max because at the time she wasn't serious about it after one date was a little suspicious.

Who suggested to Max to call Grape in the first place? Sabrina was also one of Dragon's pawns. It's speculation, but she could have subtly pushed Max into doing it.

What we saw on-screen was all horribly manipulative so it's not really any stretch to think Dragon was doing everything possible to manipulate events while Pete was still trapped (to stop him from escaping, or at the very least, getting a good avatar).
Funny, I mentioned once that Dragon manipulated the weather, since she could clearly control water, as a water Elemental. Of course, I never stated water elemental, but considering how when it rained from her being upset and clearly Loosing Control of her powers, I figured she could command the Element of Water.

However I didn’t know the Sabrina part, or that she mentioned telling Grape Max was open.

But yes, the fact that their relationships all started on being rigged to be together, especially with how Tarot and Peanut's are sorely lacking in Chemistry, it doesn't matter if Cosmic Matchmaker. Unless Tarot tries, it ain't gonna fly. Why? Because Peanut isn't the problem. Tarot is.

People can say, 'Oh, it so cyuuute that Tarot admits her feeling', until you realize that Maxwell brings up a Big point: Tarot trying to Control Peanut, will only break his Spirit.

Why? Because even for all of Peanut being an Easy-going Pet, there is a limit. Artists can be limited to a Degree, but the moment you try policing everything they make, you get an Artist who Snaps. And when Controlling starts becoming Policing, That's when the problem rises up.

Tarot is focusing too much on Peanut's Happy-go-lucky state, and gets highly offended at his daftness, which in recent strips for Peanut, is almost 60-80% of his Screentime. She isn’t taking him for his flaws along with his good... Even though I feel Rick has been Subtly flanderizing Peanut's flaws.

I mean, when was the last time we saw him with an actual Scowl, or genuine anger? I understand "Happy go lucky" is Peanut's default state, but now it feels like he is almost completely detached from in-universe Reality, on the Level of Caboose!
Peanut was genuine angry at Grape back when they were playing Holodeck Pridelands. But if you want to see Peanut do that again, i can probably count anything that happens to people that he cares about or if people lie would draw his ire.

Back to Tarot, though ~ Tarot has been trying. The problem is that she honestly thinks making plans with Peanut and him agreeing to them constitutes as romance for Peanut. While you're right that that is chemistry for a disaster in the end, planning is good. The issue is that Peanut isn't exactly the planning type, but goes along with it just because he's nice and Tarot just keeps going along with it, thinking "Peanut likes it, so this must be working.". It's rotten to say, but Peanut could've been unknowingly causing Tarot to keep the relationship the way it is. It only stopped when Grape gets involved, suddenly he starts telling her and Tarot what he really wished for the relationship. Who knows what would've happened, otherwise.
Argent wrote:And at the end she's winning Overwatch trophies and Peanut is watching her on TV and telling $NEWDOG that he used to know here when she lived here.
Suddenly i'm imagining Tarot doing VGDQ with Peanut doing commentary.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

GameCobra wrote:
John-056 wrote: But yes, the fact that their relationships all started on being rigged to be together, especially with how Tarot and Peanut's are sorely lacking in Chemistry, it doesn't matter if Cosmic Matchmaker. Unless Tarot tries, it ain't gonna fly. Why? Because Peanut isn't the problem. Tarot is.

Peanut was genuine angry at Grape back when they were playing Holodeck Pridelands. But if you want to see Peanut do that again, i can probably count anything that happens to people that he cares about or if people lie would draw his ire.

Back to Tarot, though ~ Tarot has been trying. The problem is that she honestly thinks making plans with Peanut and him agreeing to them constitutes as romance for Peanut. While you're right that that is chemistry for a disaster in the end, planning is good. The issue is that Peanut isn't exactly the planning type, but goes along with it just because he's nice and Tarot just keeps going along with it, thinking "Peanut likes it, so this must be working.". It's rotten to say, but Peanut could've been unknowingly causing Tarot to keep the relationship the way it is. It only stopped when Grape gets involved, suddenly he starts telling her and Tarot what he really wished for the relationship. Who knows what would've happened, otherwise.
I would love to see that, thank you.

Never said Planning was Bad. It can be good. However, Tarot Overplans to the point of almost being a Dictator. If you have to schedule Kisses at a set time, you know you have a Problem.

And yes, I agree that Peanut isn’t blameless. He's all but enabling her to do it, but like I pointed out, with all the flanderization he had, Peanut may not even be aware of what enablement is, or that he is doing it.
GameCobra wrote:
Argent wrote:And at the end she's winning Overwatch trophies and Peanut is watching her on TV and telling $NEWDOG that he used to know here when she lived here.
Like the wolves?
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... he-camera/
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yes. Like the wolves. :3
John-056 wrote:
I would love to see that, thank you.

Never said Planning was Bad. It can be good. However, Tarot Overplans to the point of almost being a Dictator. If you have to schedule Kisses at a set time, you know you have a Problem.

And yes, I agree that Peanut isn’t blameless. He's all but enabling her to do it, but like I pointed out, with all the flanderization he had, Peanut may not even be aware of what enablement is, or that he is doing it.
They had something wrong neither noticed. It happens to couples. I'm just glad Grape and Max are trying to help them. X3

Apologies if i sounded zealous earlier.
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

I just don't want this whole shipping thing to make people hate any character in the comic.
That said, I really think this arc is needed and makes for good comic material. I haven't actually seen a lot of media where characters can discuss relationships in a healthy setting. Most of the time it's used to create unnecessary drama... and tragic misunderstandings... and crap that drives fans nuts...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Should this relationship be salvaged?

I mean we have Peanut who for all his strengths clearly doesn’t understand what it’s like being in a romantic relationship. He even said what he wants and it’s sounds like he simply wants a best friend. Tarot wants to be happy and more carefree which as it’s been pointed out is not the best foundation for a romantic relationship. She says she loves him but even still that love does not fix the fact that she see Peanut as this thing for her to use solely for her benefit.

What they need is someone who can make each other better. Peanut needs a firm hand to keep him line but without smothering him while actually connecting with him on a level that demonstrates shared interests and expand those interests. Tarot on the other hand needs someone who reels her back from this abyss she seems to be sinking in. Someone who is mature enough to handle her crazy while assertive enough to tell her that what’s she’s doing is wrong. She wants to be more carefree but Peanut is not that person to show her that. She needs someone who can show her how to be more relaxed and find happiness in what she already does while exposing her to new things that still have a remote possibility of appealing to her.

In other words Peanut needs someone to lift him up from his own little world and Tarot needs someone to bring back down to reality. Unfortunately they are doing the exact opposite to each other. Tarot is causing Peanut to sink farther which in turns makes Tarot feel justified in doing it.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I do hope if we’re gonna analyze the relationship, we do acknowledge that while a good part of the problem comes from Tarot, some of it comes from Peanut. I mean, it’s not good how controlling Tarot has been, but it seems kinda odd that he never just told her the things he would want to do. He’s naive, but it’s a stretch to call him dumb, an outside source shouldn’t have been needed for him to realize he should tell her, “Tarot, can I weigh in a bit on what we should do?”
Argent

Post by Argent »

John-056 wrote:
GameCobra wrote:
Like the wolves?
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... he-camera/
It will have been a glorious rivalry.