2019/03/18 - If You Love Something

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: 2019/03/18 - If You Love Something

Post by Gameb18oy »

I do hope if we’re gonna analyze the relationship, we do acknowledge that while a good part of the problem comes from Tarot, some of it comes from Peanut. I mean, it’s not good how controlling Tarot has been, but it seems kinda odd that he never just told her the things he would want to do. He’s naive, but it’s a stretch to call him dumb, an outside source shouldn’t have been needed for him to realize he should tell her, “Tarot, can I weigh in a bit on what we should do?”
Argent

Post by Argent »

John-056 wrote:
GameCobra wrote:
Argent wrote:And at the end she's winning Overwatch trophies and Peanut is watching her on TV and telling $NEWDOG that he used to know here when she lived here.
Suddenly i'm imagining Tarot doing VGDQ with Peanut doing commentary.
Like the wolves?
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... he-camera/
It will have been a glorious rivalry.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:Should this relationship be salvaged?

I mean we have Peanut who for all his strengths clearly doesn’t understand what it’s like being in a romantic relationship. He even said what he wants and it’s sounds like he simply wants a best friend. Tarot wants to be happy and more carefree which as it’s been pointed out is not the best foundation for a romantic relationship. She says she loves him but even still that love does not fix the fact that she see Peanut as this thing for her to use solely for her benefit.

What they need is someone who can make each other better. Peanut needs a firm hand to keep him line but without smothering him while actually connecting with him on a level that demonstrates shared interests and expand those interests. Tarot on the other hand needs someone who reels her back from this abyss she seems to be sinking in. Someone who is mature enough to handle her crazy while assertive enough to tell her that what’s she’s doing is wrong. She wants to be more carefree but Peanut is not that person to show her that. She needs someone who can show her how to be more relaxed and find happiness in what she already does while exposing her to new things that still have a remote possibility of appealing to her.

In other words Peanut needs someone to lift him up from his own little world and Tarot needs someone to bring back down to reality. Unfortunately they are doing the exact opposite to each other. Tarot is causing Peanut to sink farther which in turns makes Tarot feel justified in doing it.
Peanut stated he wanted a girlfriend. He even told Grape what he wanted in one. If Tarot can do these things without being so controlling, i'm certain he'll like her alot more. Tarot wants to be more like Peanut, but as she admitted (And grudgingly, i might add, indicated how she mumbled to herself before Maxwell) she thought she had him figured out. She can still be the same responsible Tarot, but as long as the two of them can learn to do the things Grape and Max are helping them fix, they might find that they not only are good at it, but could potentially drastically improve the things they wern't open about with one another.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:I do hope if we’re gonna analyze the relationship, we do acknowledge that while a good part of the problem comes from Tarot, some of it comes from Peanut. I mean, it’s not good how controlling Tarot has been, but it seems kinda odd that he never just told her the things he would want to do. He’s naive, but it’s a stretch to call him dumb, an outside source shouldn’t have been needed for him to realize he should tell her, “Tarot, can I weigh in a bit on what we should do?”
Peanut is very passive when it comes to the relationship. I think he knows that what Tarot is doing is wrong but simply doesn't have the assertiveness to bring it up despite his blunt honesty. There is also the problem with his ignorance that rears itself in those moments when he doesn't understand sensitive subject matter and opens his mouth.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

That's good of shy Tarot. :) Looks like she's sick of magic and dark stuff, and so, she wants a more simple and happier life like her boyfriend Peanut. :D Uhm, Max, what you say it's confusing. If she wants to be like him, so behave more like him, why she has to do something to try to control his current behavior? :roll: Anyway, I see, you can even do that for love. ;)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

It’s good to see that Tarot wants to relax a little, and that she loves Peanut. She might not yet see that her controlling behavior is part of the problem, but knowing that she wants to change is a positive sign.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Niara

Post by Niara »

I think it's fascinating that so many people are holding up the "she said she loves him" comment in a way that is supposed to count for something major.

She said she loves him. Sure. She's also consistently communicated and shown that what she means by saying that is not at all like, or even approximately related to, what the vast majority of everyone else means when they use the word.

She says she loves him. But does she? She says she wants to study him and understand him, to analyse him so that she can change herself in the ways she supposes she'd like to be more like. In the process of doing this, she wants to keep him close in order to exert complete control over his life and order it to her own convenience, around herself, as much as she can. And the important thing to see in all of this is that all of this is what she is calling 'love', and is what she is referencing when she says she loves him.

So does she? Does she, by the standards of what most other people would think of as love? It does not seem so. It does not seem so at all.

Someone above, I feel, came closer to capturing what she is displaying: She is enamoured of the concept and outlook that Peanut represents. That has, at this stage, only a tangentially small amount to do with Peanut himself.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Niara wrote:I think it's fascinating that so many people are holding up the "she said she loves him" comment in a way that is supposed to count for something major.

She said she loves him. Sure. She's also consistently communicated and shown that what she means by saying that is not at all like, or even approximately related to, what the vast majority of everyone else means when they use the word.

She says she loves him. But does she? She says she wants to study him and understand him, to analyse him so that she can change herself in the ways she supposes she'd like to be more like. In the process of doing this, she wants to keep him close in order to exert complete control over his life and order it to her own convenience, around herself, as much as she can. And the important thing to see in all of this is that all of this is what she is calling 'love', and is what she is referencing when she says she loves him.

So does she? Does she, by the standards of what most other people would think of as love? It does not seem so. It does not seem so at all.

Someone above, I feel, came closer to capturing what she is displaying: She is enamoured of the concept and outlook that Peanut represents. That has, at this stage, only a tangentially small amount to do with Peanut himself.
If the Grapenut tease in the last panel taught me anything, it’s that most people on a ship, NEVER abandon it, even if it might be better for the characters involved in the ship. I kinda am starting to doubt this will be a breakup, but honestly, it might be nice if they at least consider it, I mean Tarot really needs to think about if she’s being a good girlfriend to Peanut, and Peanut... honestly a just need a few moments of him being serious to remind me his usual attitude isn’t an act, because it really feels that way at times
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If it's not a breakup, it'll probably involve Tarot improving herself.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Niara

Post by Niara »

Gameb18oy wrote:If the Grapenut tease in the last panel taught me anything, it’s that most people on a ship, NEVER abandon it, even if it might be better for the characters involved in the ship. I kinda am starting to doubt this will be a breakup, but honestly, it might be nice if they at least consider it, I mean Tarot really needs to think about if she’s being a good girlfriend to Peanut, and Peanut... honestly a just need a few moments of him being serious to remind me his usual attitude isn’t an act, because it really feels that way at times
I'm not hoping for a break-up per se, but I think a serious dynamic change is needed for everyone involved in this set of relationships, for a happier and healthier life together. I don't dislike tarot as a character, though she's not someone I'd personally choose to be around, and I'm hoping that some serious introspection may be on the cards in a way that will help her be healthier, mentally and emotionally... both towards her friends, and towards herself, honestly.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Niara wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:If the Grapenut tease in the last panel taught me anything, it’s that most people on a ship, NEVER abandon it, even if it might be better for the characters involved in the ship. I kinda am starting to doubt this will be a breakup, but honestly, it might be nice if they at least consider it, I mean Tarot really needs to think about if she’s being a good girlfriend to Peanut, and Peanut... honestly a just need a few moments of him being serious to remind me his usual attitude isn’t an act, because it really feels that way at times
I'm not hoping for a break-up per se, but I think a serious dynamic change is needed for everyone involved in this set of relationships, for a happier and healthier life together. I don't dislike tarot as a character, though she's not someone I'd personally choose to be around, and I'm hoping that some serious introspection may be on the cards in a way that will help her be healthier, mentally and emotionally... both towards her friends, and towards herself, honestly.
If they did break up it would be a good opportunity for her to find herself and try to overcome her personal faults and hang ups since whatever her strategy with Peanut is not working. What is it people usually say on tv “I need to find out who I am outside of us.” Plus a huge development will take time. The best we could hope for is she comes to the realization that she does need to change and strive to do that over the course of the next year or two or to the end of the comic with or without Peanut. Again time apart between the two of them could do a lot of good for both their sakes. Even then the more I think about it the more I think they really aren’t compatible at all, relationship and personal issues aside.
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Aside from recent punchlines, I can't really think of many times that Tarot controls Peanut. I feel like a bigger problem with their relationship is how often Tarot disappears or acts without consulting Peanut. I'm not sure though. Feel free to link me to evidence to the contrary.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In my opinion, the problem with them would be the fact that Tarot doesn't really show a whole lot of warmth towards Peanut sometimes when the occasion appropriately calls for it. I feel Tarot should learn to do that more before trying to convince Peanut to work on his flaws.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Same time, I don't personally think Tarot even understands how to be, for lack of a better term, normal.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:In my opinion, the problem with them would be the fact that Tarot doesn't really show a whole lot of warmth towards Peanut sometimes when the occasion appropriately calls for it. I feel Tarot should learn to do that more before trying to convince Peanut to work on his flaws.
You can say the same thing about Peanut. I've rarely seen him show the same level of affection towards Tarot that the other pets show their partners. Like when Tarot returned from Australia, she pointed it out. Then during 5000BC that intimate moment was turned into a joke. It wasn't until Year 9 that Peanut realized, "I should be more acknowledgeable of Tarot's feelings." After dating for 7 years he just figured that out.

After all this I feel like this scene makes a lot more sense.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

You know, it really should worry Tarot how Peanut reacts to her when Fido, one of the more mature doggos had that reaction to seeing his “Sabby” and that wasn’t an isolated incident. I don’t think Peanut is a bad boyfriend... but honestly, this problem is so often visible that I have to wonder if Rick intentionally setup the idea the two weren’t actually a good couple, but he never really considered how he was gonna break them up later on.

[edit] you know something, I wonder if a mild bit of Grapenut’s staying power has to do with how Peanut and Grape interact with each other. I don’t think he drops the happy go lucky tendencies around anyone else besides her
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I think there's still a romantic undercurrent between the two of them, GameBoy. But it's been awhile since we've seen Peanut and Grape alone on the stage for even a short arc. I miss that....
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

NHWestoN wrote:I think there's still a romantic undercurrent between the two of them, GameBoy. But it's been awhile since we've seen Peanut and Grape alone on the stage for even a short arc. I miss that....
I really liked that Zootopia Halloween one we had last year!

I wouldn't mind seeing something similar happening to an unexpected three-o. Max, Bino and King for instance. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm hoping it wouldn't be anything too dangerous in that case because Max would be screwed. Bino and King would probably end up killing each other. :3
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:I guess the comic strip on monday will be Tarot saying what bothers her about Peanut.
The prize for correct prediction goes to HundKatzeMaus.
leinglo wrote:The next question they ask Tarot needs to be what her definition of "love" is. She might be getting it mixed up with "ownership." After being Dragon's pawn for so long that might be understandable, but Tarot needs an update, nonetheless.
I think the Title Text sums up Tarot's mentality. If you get more out of a system you actively manage, then it stands to reason to her that she can multiply the love exchanged by scheduling so hard. I think this makes it evident that Tarot truly loves Peanut, because if she didn't she wouldn't be investing so much time and energy.
Xane wrote:
AgentJX7 wrote:But whereas Grape and Maxwell started dating of their own accord (IIRC) and Fido and Sabrina have actual chemistry, the only reason Tarot had any interest in Peanut was because Dragon told her to.
We know Dragon is a water elemental, so the rainstorm that just HAPPENED to occur when Grape was going to break up with Max because at the time she wasn't serious about it after one date was a little suspicious.

Who suggested to Max to call Grape in the first place? Sabrina was also one of Dragon's pawns. It's speculation, but she could have subtly pushed Max into doing it.

What we saw on-screen was all horribly manipulative so it's not really any stretch to think Dragon was doing everything possible to manipulate events while Pete was still trapped (to stop him from escaping, or at the very least, getting a good avatar).
I agree with you conclusion, but not any of your evidence. I don't recall anything suggesting SD was a water elemental. The closest I can think of is she cries so hard it rains. Max didn't call Grape in the first place and Sabrina wasn't involved at all. Max wanted to date Grape the minute he found out she was a girl, It was a barn cat that made Grape want to enter a relationship, and it was Grape that called Max, not the other way around. It's good for SD that Grape continued dating Max, but if Grape rejected Max and Grapenut happened that would've also achieved the objective of disqualifying Dream Sunderer candidates.
NHWestoN wrote:Well, Tarot, points for honest self-disclosure. So, Peanut, that tells you ... what? No, put down the pencils!

Increasingly, Peanut's taking up pencils and paper resembles a form of animal behavior known as "disassociation" where an animal tries to ignore something that makes it anxious but cannot change. For the first couple of years, our dog, Sophie, refused to acknowledge the cat. After being reprimanded for growling at him, she very studiously ignored him, even when he would lay down beside her on the couch.

Thus, when Maxwell's kitten tale sent his anxiety level into outer earth orbit, Peanut handles the stress first by starting a Spot saga and then by enacting the story as a screenplay block buster. Art's where you find it, eh?

So, how to handle this "revelation", eh?
I would like to respectfully disagree with you and claim that Peanut's behavior is actually the opposite. I don't know the psychological term for it, but I think drawing helps him focus on other stuff instead of distracting from it. Some people can't concentrate when they're sitting still.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:I guess the comic strip on monday will be Tarot saying what bothers her about Peanut.
The prize for correct prediction goes to HundKatzeMaus.
leinglo wrote:The next question they ask Tarot needs to be what her definition of "love" is. She might be getting it mixed up with "ownership." After being Dragon's pawn for so long that might be understandable, but Tarot needs an update, nonetheless.
I think the Title Text sums up Tarot's mentality. If you get more out of a system you actively manage, then it stands to reason to her that she can multiply the love exchanged by scheduling so hard. I think this makes it evident that Tarot truly loves Peanut, because if she didn't she wouldn't be investing so much time and energy.
Xane wrote:
AgentJX7 wrote:But whereas Grape and Maxwell started dating of their own accord (IIRC) and Fido and Sabrina have actual chemistry, the only reason Tarot had any interest in Peanut was because Dragon told her to.
We know Dragon is a water elemental, so the rainstorm that just HAPPENED to occur when Grape was going to break up with Max because at the time she wasn't serious about it after one date was a little suspicious.

Who suggested to Max to call Grape in the first place? Sabrina was also one of Dragon's pawns. It's speculation, but she could have subtly pushed Max into doing it.

What we saw on-screen was all horribly manipulative so it's not really any stretch to think Dragon was doing everything possible to manipulate events while Pete was still trapped (to stop him from escaping, or at the very least, getting a good avatar).
I agree with you conclusion, but not any of your evidence. I don't recall anything suggesting SD was a water elemental. The closest I can think of is she cries so hard it rains. Max didn't call Grape in the first place and Sabrina wasn't involved at all. Max wanted to date Grape the minute he found out she was a girl, It was a barn cat that made Grape want to enter a relationship, and it was Grape that called Max, not the other way around. It's good for SD that Grape continued dating Max, but if Grape rejected Max and Grapenut happened that would've also achieved the objective of disqualifying Dream Sunderer candidates.
NHWestoN wrote:Well, Tarot, points for honest self-disclosure. So, Peanut, that tells you ... what? No, put down the pencils!

Increasingly, Peanut's taking up pencils and paper resembles a form of animal behavior known as "disassociation" where an animal tries to ignore something that makes it anxious but cannot change. For the first couple of years, our dog, Sophie, refused to acknowledge the cat. After being reprimanded for growling at him, she very studiously ignored him, even when he would lay down beside her on the couch.

Thus, when Maxwell's kitten tale sent his anxiety level into outer earth orbit, Peanut handles the stress first by starting a Spot saga and then by enacting the story as a screenplay block buster. Art's where you find it, eh?

So, how to handle this "revelation", eh?
I would like to respectfully disagree with you and claim that Peanut's behavior is actually the opposite. I don't know the psychological term for it, but I think drawing helps him focus on other stuff instead of distracting from it. Some people can't concentrate when they're sitting still.
Don’t know the term either, but consider that trait some mild evidence toward the “Peanut has ADHD” theory. I can back up, it does help concentration to some degree.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think most people can assume just by looking at him that Peanut has ADHD.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think most people can assume just by looking at him that Peanut has ADHD.
Well there is another theory opposing it that Peanut might be on the spectrum, so while I favor the ADHD theory, it’s not what everyone thinks
Argent

Post by Argent »

I have ADHD. Peanut is so "it me".
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm on the Spectrum also but that might be why I can't see Peanut as having it personally.