2019/03/20 - Make Like Your Name

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

Re: 2019/03/20 - Make Like Your Name

Post by D-Rock »

I mean, people really are like that.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I like to think that Max is going through King's scenario at this point. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wait? So Peanut and Grape ARE making out? :? I thought that the hearts were signifying that they were acting all lovey-dovey to each other and not that. This is something that is definitely awkward. :|
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Wait? So Peanut and Grape ARE making out? :? I thought that the hearts were signifying that they were acting all lovey-dovey to each other and not that. This is something that is definitely awkward. :|
One assumes that’s what happening. No matter what is happening off panel one thing is certain, Max and Grape are going to have a serious heart to heart after this.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

God knows that Max needs one with Grape since Grape thinks it OK to oogle hunks in front of Max and now make out with someone she was raised with.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I feel like Max would probably have some objections to a polyamorous relationship - he seems like the type who wouldn’t be secure in his position in that sort of arrangement.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Just looking at the way this thread is going, I'm beginning to think we are looking a BIT too far into this strip :lol:
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

SeanWolf wrote:Just looking at the way this thread is going, I'm beginning to think we are looking a BIT too far into this strip :lol:
Remember kids, shipping is fun, but should never hurt anyone.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

SeanWolf wrote:Just looking at the way this thread is going, I'm beginning to think we are looking a BIT too far into this strip :lol:
To be fair, I think people’s minds are just reeling. Even though the time in the spa has been rapidfire fanservice, Grapenut is usually one of the ships Rick tries to keep a healthy distance away from, and now it’s had two teases near each other. The crazy that unleashes I’m hoping Rick was ready to not be ready for
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

These posts are mostly speculations, but we gotta tread lightly sometimes. While we can speculate things like dating and break-ups within reason, it becomes bad taste I find when we start wishing for it without much reason. x3

That being said, I still think Rick is teasing us big time. I'm under the impression as this arc moves on that Grape and Peanut are actually, both subtle (to Max) and not subtle (to Tarot) telling Max and Tarot to be more like them. Peanut wants Tarot to behave more like Grape by getting more involved with him, but shield him from the people that give him a hard time. As for Maxwell, he's learning that Grape has a better side to her if he can figure out how to be more like Peanut. Hah.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here’s something to ponder. What if Max and Grapes relationship is so strained that Max just wants to call it quits? He’s already in a vulnerable state and clearly still has issues with Grape’s interests so he could really think about breaking up with her. He doesn’t want to change just to satisfy Grape’s desires or interests and if she doesn’t care for him as who he is then what are they doing. BUT Grape doesn’t want to break up because she does care for Max in her own way. She explaains that she has her crushes and her strange relationship with Peanut but despite that her relationship with Max is more than that. She cares for him on a deeper level. Then She asks him to marry her to prove how much she loves him.

I imagine something like this:
Max: After seeing Peanut's and Tarot's relationship implode I'm starting to wonder about us.
Grape: What do you mean? Our relationship is fine. We're nothing like them.
Max: Our relationship is not fine. I'm tired of having to share you with Peanut and every guy with abs you see.
Grape: You said you were alright with my crushes. Peanut and me. I mean he's like a brother to me. You are my boyfriend.
Max: I'm not alright. I tried to be okay with this because I love you but I wonder if you feel the same way.
Grape: Of course I do.
Max: It doesn't feel like it sometimes. I need to know where this is going.
Grape: I can't answer that.
Max: I'm not going to change Grape. This is who I am and if you want something else then why are we together?
Grape: Do you want to break-up?
Max: I don't want to but I think we might have to if you don't feel the same way about me that I feel about you. I'm not some toy you can play with then get bored and go back to something else.
Grape: I don't see you like that. You know I love you.
Max: If you had to choose between me and Peanut, who would you pick?
Grape: Max, that's not fair.
Max: What's unfair is seeing how close you and Peanut are and knowing how much you care about him even if you don't want to admit it yourself. I'm sorry Grape but I can't be with you if I'm always just going to be in second place.
Grape: Then marry me.
Peanut and Tarot: GASP!
Max: What did you say?
Grape: Let's get married. I love you Maxie. I can't lose you. I always want you by my side.
Max: I love you too. I will marry you.
Peanut starts crying.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, that definitely doesn't seem fair to Grape, Fenrir.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Probably. :lol: Though Rick knew full well the kind of fan response he'd be unleashing by so blatantly teasing the Grapenut ship. This is just fulfilling expectations. So we might as well have fun with it.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Oh you must be new, welcome to our community :P
Well this isn't the only time it happened :lol:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:Here’s something to ponder. What if Max and Grapes relationship is so strained that Max just wants to call it quits? He’s already in a vulnerable state and clearly still has issues with Grape’s interests so he could really think about breaking up with her. He doesn’t want to change just to satisfy Grape’s desires or interests and if she doesn’t care for him as who he is then what are they doing. BUT Grape doesn’t want to break up because she does care for Max in her own way. She explaains that she has her crushes and her strange relationship with Peanut but despite that her relationship with Max is more than that. She cares for him on a deeper level. Then She asks him to marry her to prove how much she loves him.

Max: After seeing Peanut's and Tarot's relationship implode I'm starting to wonder about us.
Max: Our relationship is not fine. I'm tired of having to share you with Peanut and every guy with abs you see.
Grape: You said you were alright with my crushes. Peanut and me. I mean he's like a brother to me. You are my boyfriend.
Max: I'm not alright. I tried to be okay with this because I love you but I wonder if you feel the same way.
Max: I'm not going to change Grape. This is who I am and if you want something else then why are we together?
Max: I don't want to but I think we might have to if you don't feel the same way about me that I feel about you. I'm not some toy you can play with then get bored and go back to something else.
Max: What's unfair is seeing how close you and Peanut are and knowing how much you care about him even if you don't want to admit it yourself. I'm sorry Grape but I can't be with you if I'm always just going to be in second place.
Grape: Let's get married. I love you Maxie. I can't lose you. I always want you by my side.
Peanut starts crying.
Food for thought: What makes you think Grape and Max's relationship is in trouble at this point? From the looks of the scenario you made, you think Grape and Max are going to start playing favorites, which was buried way back in the Imaginate, too! Arc.
Argent

Post by Argent »

No further than Rick's gone in the past.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote: Food for thought: What makes you think Grape and Max's relationship is in trouble at this point? From the looks of the scenario you made, you think Grape and Max are going to start playing favorites, which was buried way back in the Imaginate, too! Arc.
I'm just thinking in terms of what if. What if Max has gotten fed up with Grape. I mean yes this is jumping to conclusions since we don't know Max's full reaction to whatever is happening off-panel but I mean if he sees Peanut and Tarot break up he seriously might start thinking about his and Grape's future. He sees Grape and Peanut doing who knows what and he starts wondering about her relationship with Peanut and how she feels about him. This is worst case scenario.
D-Rock wrote:Okay, that definitely doesn't seem fair to Grape, Fenrir.
It did have a happy ending. Grape did say it was unfair and I did over exaggerate to prove a point. This chapter may have nothing to do with Grape and Max and by the end of it they'll stay exactly as they are but their relationship is strange and might need a close examination by the two of them. It's working but for how long? Is Max okay deep down?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, if Grape and Maxwell did break up, we'd need another female feline in the neighborhood.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:
GameCobra wrote: Food for thought: What makes you think Grape and Max's relationship is in trouble at this point? From the looks of the scenario you made, you think Grape and Max are going to start playing favorites, which was buried way back in the Imaginate, too! Arc.
I'm just thinking in terms of what if. What if Max has gotten fed up with Grape. I mean yes this is jumping to conclusions since we don't know Max's full reaction to whatever is happening off-panel but I mean if he sees Peanut and Tarot break up he seriously might start thinking about his and Grape's future. He sees Grape and Peanut doing who knows what and he starts wondering about her relationship with Peanut and how she feels about him. This is worst case scenario.
D-Rock wrote:Okay, that definitely doesn't seem fair to Grape, Fenrir.
It did have a happy ending. Grape did say it was unfair and I did over exaggerate to prove a point. This chapter may have nothing to do with Grape and Max and by the end of it they'll stay exactly as they are but their relationship is strange and might need a close examination by the two of them. It's working but for how long? Is Max okay deep down?
Max and Grape i find sealed the deal the last arc. Even if something like Peanut and Grape dating or somehow the world's most buff, handsome and richest cat walked right infront of Grape that wouldn't change anything except maybe send her to the vet for a few shots. x3

Now the tricky thing is that Rick still has tons of open room this arc to tease us about something and it's coming to a point now I feel like Rick is going to keep the Peanut/Grape flirting/mushiness alive despite Grape and Max's relationship being stable at this point. The question i'm always wondering instead is: How? That's the question i like the forums to think on instead. x3
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

NHWestoN wrote:Well, if Grape and Maxwell did break up, we'd need another female feline in the neighborhood.
Well, there's always the Bigglesworths.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Real quick before the new strip is out. I feel like it needs to be pointed out that Peanut's title for his Rufus comic is just so I can't even describe how silly that is.
GameCobra wrote:
Max and Grape i find sealed the deal the last arc. Even if something like Peanut and Grape dating or somehow the world's most buff, handsome and richest cat walked right infront of Grape that wouldn't change anything except maybe send her to the vet for a few shots. x33
Really? I don't see anything there that changed their relationship at all. Max improved emotionally but Grape was only on the sidelines. Emotional support but nothing dramatic.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:Real quick before the new strip is out. I feel like it needs to be pointed out that Peanut's title for his Rufus comic is just so I can't even describe how silly that is.
GameCobra wrote:
Max and Grape i find sealed the deal the last arc. Even if something like Peanut and Grape dating or somehow the world's most buff, handsome and richest cat walked right infront of Grape that wouldn't change anything except maybe send her to the vet for a few shots. x33
Really? I don't see anything there that changed their relationship at all. Max improved emotionally but Grape was only on the sidelines. Emotional support but nothing dramatic.
Grape being there for him during the whole ordeal lets her see for a change some of the personal dilemas in Max's life. This also affects her as well since it looked like she wasn't aware how personal the story was to Max. It may seem like a small detail, but it has a bigger impact on them that I think most people don't realize.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

If nothing else that makes this strip even more uncomfortable then. They share a emotional experience and develop a deeper understanding only for her to stomp on their relationship in front of him. Well Maybe because we still don’t know exactly what’s going on off panel.
Maybe next time she can tell her story about how she ended up in the pound and we can see Max’s reaction.

Peanuts next comic, The rise and fall of Princess Periwinkle.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, she is roleplaying Tarot to provide an example, that's it.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

From the look on Max’s face in that fourth panel she might be taking that role playing a bit to far. It happens on TV all the time. The jealous boyfriend overreacts to innocent shenanigans and then they fight and everyone is uncomfortable.
AgentJX7

Post by AgentJX7 »

fenrirblack wrote:If nothing else that makes this strip even more uncomfortable then. They share a emotional experience and develop a deeper understanding only for her to stomp on their relationship in front of him.
But again, we still can't see what they're doing off-panel, and we don't have a lot of evidence that Max is jealous or uncomfortable. He looks surprised, but not angry.
fenrirblack wrote:Peanut's next comic, The rise and fall of Princess Periwinkle.
Not gonna lie, I'd love this. Anything with Grape's shelter name is automatically hilarious.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think the hearts are supposed to signify the fact that they are acting lovey-dovey to each other and not making out. At least, that is how I see it. I don't care if I'm proven wrong though.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:The good ol dogs club rejected him at the beginning and even though he was apart of it he never really was part of it. Then Peanut stopped going and the entire concept just dried up after Fox and Fido left. Joey is Peanuts other friend but their relationship is strange and more professional. Joey has his group. It is sad to see everyone in their clicks. The SPHERES!
Spheres aren't immutable. If they were, you wouldn't get stuff like the Christmas pageant or Rex hearing about Maxwell's past.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Wait? So Peanut and Grape ARE making out? :? I thought that the hearts were signifying that they were acting all lovey-dovey to each other and not that. This is something that is definitely awkward. :|
It's not completely unambiguous, but in both Just Friends and M Is For All The Times You Maul Me where there was a heart, it was because of a kiss.
fenrirblack wrote:Here’s something to ponder. What if Max and Grapes relationship is so strained that Max just wants to call it quits? He’s already in a vulnerable state and clearly still has issues with Grape’s interests so he could really think about breaking up with her. He doesn’t want to change just to satisfy Grape’s desires or interests and if she doesn’t care for him as who he is then what are they doing. BUT Grape doesn’t want to break up because she does care for Max in her own way. She explaains that she has her crushes and her strange relationship with Peanut but despite that her relationship with Max is more than that. She cares for him on a deeper level. Then She asks him to marry her to prove how much she loves him.

Peanut starts crying.
I think this qualifies as looking more than a bit into the strip.
fenrirblack wrote:Real quick before the new strip is out. I feel like it needs to be pointed out that Peanut's title for his Rufus comic is just so I can't even describe how silly that is.
I agree the title is very silly, but why does it matter that you point it out before the following strip comes out?
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Because he might have wanted it to be fresh in people's minds and to still be thinking about it when it came out and something we could talk about before our attention was drawn to the new strip.