Sansash

Re: 2019/03/25 - To Make You Happy

Post by Sansash »

Xane wrote:Graxnurot?
Ragnarok?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Niara wrote:...There's absolutely no reason that any of this has to end in heartbreak or disappointment for anyone present, and, at the point that they're all here to discuss their relationships, as long as they're all honest about doing so, there's no reason to expect that it will.

I guess my question to Fenrir, then, is... why do you *want* this to end in heartbreak for one or more of the pets?
That was a lot of assuming and misinterpretation from two paragraphs. I don’t even know where some of that came from, seriously. Anyway just because Tarot jumped in Peanuts arms and is asking about Grape that everything is fine and everyone’s relationship is stronger than ever. One we still don’t have a solid conclusion on Max’s feelings. Two we don’t know if this situation will topple like a house of cards before the end of the chapter. Remember that this entire thing started because Peanut’s snd Tarot’s relationship was/is unhealthy. It was never because of Peanut and Grape. Tarot knew about them but still controlled and manipulated Peanut for her own needs.

Let me answer your question with a question, why do you want them to stay together or find some happy ending resolution where nothing changes?

Also I never said “only two ways this could be” or used the word only.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Funny enough, I’m curious why people seem to want that as well. I liked Tarot and Peanut together back when Dragon also was present I think, but honestly, without the weird factor she provided, the only thing that seems to justify the relationship is Tarot likes that Peanut is so nice... and I don’t get what Peanut gets out of the relationship he couldn’t with any other person. Like Max and Grape themselves brought up, the relationship makes no sense.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Actually what people point out is, the relationship isn't as doomed as you two seem to make it out to be.
There are some things more to consider than "the relationship is bad".
Also not every comic strip has some deeper meaning aside from the obvious from what we see like "Hey maybe Tarot and Peanut really do just need some pointers" and nothing more.

What is wrong with Tarot liking Peanut because he is nice?
Or why does Peanut need to "gain" something out of a relationship?
From what we have seen he seems to be pretty happy with Tarot, so there is his gain.

Relationships are not there to get stat boosts or anything.

And before anyone points out that Tarot said she wants to be like Peanut in some regards:
It's something else if one admires some qualities of his significant other and strives to be like him/her, but that is not the same as thinking "Hmmm...what do these two people get from each other?"
Sometimes two people just like each other.
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Have you ever seen three panels and immediately known that they were going to be three of the most divisive panels in internet history?
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

If I may be allowed to throw my own hat in: The way I see it, both Peanut and Tarot have a mutual fondness for each other and both WANT to be together to share in that fondness. Yes, Peanut is the type of guy to love indiscriminately, but I don’t see how that makes his love for Tarot any less valid than it does his love for anyone else, including Grape.

From my perspective, it seemed like their biggest problem was a lack of mutual communication. Which they are both now consciously aware of and are attempting to mitigate. There is no reason to believe they would figure it out completely after only one conversation but they are now at least aware of the problem. What matters from here on out is that they, not just Tarot but Peanut also, continue to be aware and continue to gradually improve, bit by bit.

Trust me, I’ve seen relationships survive a lot worse than this.

Keep in mind, when Grape and Max confronted Tarot, they difn’t set out with the mindset of ‘Wow, Tarot is a horrible girlfriend, we need to break these two up.’ But instead were saying ‘Hey, we have some concerns and we’d appreciate if you would hear us out.’ Which they did.

Personally, I think Peanut and Tarot are in a good place right now. This obviously is not the last conversation they’re going to have about this, but we as the readers really don’t need to bare witness to every single one. Especially when the problem at hand really only amounts to ‘Hey, you guys should communicate more.’ This seems like the kind of thing they’re going to improve on in small, gradual increments, as they should.

Personally, I’m more worried about Max right now. The most important thing in any relationship is transparency and consent as far as romantic affection goes. Now, I don’t blame Peanut and Grape too much since they were operating under the assumption that they did have Max’s consent, which is some serious miscommunication right there on Grape and Max’s part.

To me, this seems like the far more pressing issue, and I would really like to get Max’s clear, unfiltered thoughts on Grape and Peanut’s CFR.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
dwmitch

Post by dwmitch »

I was kind of hoping that the Grape/Max and Peanut/Tarot pairings would have put an end to the whole Grape/Peanut thing. I'll admit I haven't been with the comic from the start, didn't even know it existed until 2015, but when I had time I went on binges and pretty much read the whole series (minus the ones featuring Peanut's comic within a comic, which I could never get into).

Because of that I found the whole Grape/Peanut romantic angle disturbing. Not because of the species difference, I get that in this universe it's a stand-in for interracial dating and I'm all for that, but because when the comic started they had a sibling dynamic. Grape was an older sister type to Peanut. Seeing them develop romantic feelings for each other hit me in the same way as if I were to open the paper to the comics section and see a Hi and Lois strip featuring Ditto proposing to Dot.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

dwmitch wrote:I was kind of hoping that the Grape/Max and Peanut/Tarot pairings would have put an end to the whole Grape/Peanut thing. I'll admit I haven't been with the comic from the start, didn't even know it existed until 2015, but when I had time I went on binges and pretty much read the whole series (minus the ones featuring Peanut's comic within a comic, which I could never get into).

Because of that I found the whole Grape/Peanut romantic angle disturbing. Not because of the species difference, I get that in this universe it's a stand-in for interracial dating and I'm all for that, but because when the comic started they had a sibling dynamic. Grape was an older sister type to Peanut. Seeing them develop romantic feelings for each other hit me in the same way as if I were to open the paper to the comics section and see a Hi and Lois strip featuring Ditto proposing to Dot.
Had a sibling dynamic? I find it weird that people don’t often bring this up as they still have a sibling dynamic to them.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I suppose Tarot and Peanut will have a better relationship now than they did, as long as Tarot remembers to continue to take interest in Peanut’s wants and needs; I still think Dragon / Draig would’ve made a better girlfriend, though. :P

But yeah, Max and Grape definitely need to talk about Max’s wants and needs ASAP.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Douglas Collier wrote:I suppose Tarot and Peanut will have a better relationship now than they did, as long as Tarot remembers to continue to take interest in Peanut’s wants and needs; I still think Dragon / Draig would’ve made a better girlfriend, though. :P

But yeah, Max and Grape definitely need to talk about Max’s wants and needs ASAP.
Sadly not a possibility unless comic aging works faster on her and Craig than it did for the wolf pups and King’s pups who I’m worried are gonna just be named background characters at this point (When will they age Rick?!?). If she is aged up quick enough, wonder if she’ll act more like Tarot was when we were first introduced to her. Oddly enough of the four prominent demigods, she’s probably got the least clear personality
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:Actually what people point out is, the relationship isn't as doomed as you two seem to make it out to be.
Also not every comic strip has some deeper meaning aside from the obvious from what we see like "Hey maybe Tarot and Peanut really do just need some pointers" and nothing more.

From what we have seen he seems to be pretty happy with Tarot, so there is his gain.

And before anyone points out that Tarot said she wants to be like Peanut in some regards:
It's something else if one admires some qualities of his significant other and strives to be like him/her, but that is not the same as thinking "Hmmm...what do these two people get from each other?"
Peanut is always happy. If that was enough to sustain a healthy relationship then Grape would have never stepped into this in he first place. Peanuts blissful ignorance was what started all of this. Peanut said what he wanted and he’s not getting it from Tarot which again was pointed out. True relationships aren’t about getting a prize but Peanut still needs someone who can take care of him and develop a deeper more meaningful relationship. Maybe Tarot is not a bad choice but she isn’t “the one.” It’s better to end it now before one of them does decide down the road that there is nothing deeper and the relationship does break. Because no matter how you look at it, it is doomed even if it takes a few more years. Like a cheap Walmart bookcase it was not built to last.
JageshemashFTW wrote:If I may be allowed to throw my own hat in: The way I see it, both Peanut and Tarot have a mutual fondness for each other and both WANT to be together to share in that fondness. Yes, Peanut is the type of guy to love indiscriminately, but I don’t see how that makes his love for Tarot any less valid than it does his love for anyone else, including Grape.

Personally, I’m more worried about Max right now. The most important thing in any relationship is transparency and consent as far as romantic affection goes. Now, I don’t blame Peanut and Grape too much since they were operating under the assumption that they did have Max’s consent, which is some serious miscommunication right there on Grape and Max’s part.

To me, this seems like the far more pressing issue, and I would really like to get Max’s clear, unfiltered thoughts on Grape and Peanut’s CFR.
This stopped being about what Peanut wanted a LONG time ago. :lol:

Truth be told I could care less about Peanut and Tarot’s relationship. True I want them to split because I think it’s unhealthy but if they did stick it out then that’s whatever. I DO care about Grape and Max’s relationship. There are deeper issues that need to be addressed and as the Captain of the SS Gres I would take a sledgehammer to their relationship if I could. ;)
Pumkin6 wrote:Have you ever seen three panels and immediately known that they were going to be three of the most divisive panels in internet history?
Seriously. :?
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Douglas Collier wrote:But yeah, Max and Grape definitely need to talk about Max’s wants and needs ASAP.
I already mentioned it (I'm sure of it) but I can really see a twist in this arc in which Tarot and Peanut end up helping Max and Grape instead of the other way around :lol:
Or they get some good advice from other couples...like Bailey and King or even better Miles and Lucretia (I would love to see that) or as good Cousin Rodney and Snow. We all know how they are :mrgreen:
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, Tarot, finally you learned to copy from Grape and be mushy like her with Peanut. :) That's the right way to approach him (we just saw how he's literally easy with everything :P), it's the perfect solution. ;) You're so cute together. :D Uhm, Maxwell didn't seem to be calm about controlling his jealousy by seeing Grape smooching Peanut once again... And so, how can he be really happy with that point? :P Anyway, I agree with it, Tarot. :)
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Pumkin6 wrote:Have you ever seen three panels and immediately known that they were going to be three of the most divisive panels in internet history?
That makes the title of this strip a punchline in of itself if Rick was referring to the readers. :lol: :?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:Actually what people point out is, the relationship isn't as doomed as you two seem to make it out to be.

Peanut is always happy. If that was enough to sustain a healthy relationship then Grape would have never stepped into this in he first place. Peanuts blissful ignorance was what started all of this. Peanut said what he wanted and he’s not getting it from Tarot which again was pointed out. True relationships aren’t about getting a prize but Peanut still needs someone who can take care of him and develop a deeper more meaningful relationship. Maybe Tarot is not a bad choice but she isn’t “the one.” It’s better to end it now before one of them does decide down the road that there is nothing deeper and the relationship does break. Because no matter how you look at it, it is doomed even if it takes a few more years. Like a cheap Walmart bookcase it was not built to last.
JageshemashFTW wrote:If I may be allowed to throw my own hat in: The way I see it, both Peanut and Tarot have a mutual fondness for each other and both WANT to be together to share in that fondness. Yes, Peanut is the type of guy to love indiscriminately, but I don’t see how that makes his love for Tarot any less valid than it does his love for anyone else, including Grape.

This stopped being about what Peanut wanted a LONG time ago. :lol:

Truth be told I could care less about Peanut and Tarot’s relationship. True I want them to split because I think it’s unhealthy but if they did stick it out then that’s whatever. I DO care about Grape and Max’s relationship. There are deeper issues that need to be addressed and as the Captain of the SS Gres I would take a sledgehammer to their relationship if I could. ;)
Seriously. :?
Personally, I kinda would prefer people bring up the polygamy angle for Grape with her two significant others who aren’t also her kinda brother (Rick, I know it was Grapenut teasing, but I can’t help but feel you leaned into that a bit too much)
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

While I don't insist on polygamus relationships, I would like to point out that cats don't have one mate in real life either and the pets here are still animalistic, so....it's a possibility :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Douglas Collier wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:So … Maxwell and Tarot agree that they are comfortable with Peanut and Grape being lovey with each other, they're trust them together, they might be a little perplexed but they don't feel threatened, and no more of the ol'choose "Peanut or me" confrontation. And Tarot thinks discussing and imitating Peanut's relationship with Grape might help her and Peanut grow closer...

Not sure why … at this point in their relationship … this is bad. ;)
Um, if you think Max doesn’t feel threatened, let me direct you to just one page ago and point out Max’s expressions. Anything Max said earlier about not being threatened went out the window when he saw just how involved Grape was with Peanut.

Well … referring to the strip you just showed, Doug … I figured Grape's finger-walk across Maxwell's breastbone provided him some reassurance. Let's face it, Maxie, you're number one on Grape's list, but you're not the only name on it.

Or not. ;)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:So … Maxwell and Tarot agree that they are comfortable with Peanut and Grape being lovey with each other, they're trust them together, they might be a little perplexed but they don't feel threatened, and no more of the ol'choose "Peanut or me" confrontation. And Tarot thinks discussing and imitating Peanut's relationship with Grape might help her and Peanut grow closer...

Not sure why … at this point in their relationship … this is bad. ;)
Um, if you think Max doesn’t feel threatened, let me direct you to just one page ago and point out Max’s expressions. Anything Max said earlier about not being threatened went out the window when he saw just how involved Grape was with Peanut.

Well … referring to the strip you just showed, Doug … I figured Grape's finger-walk across Maxwell's breastbone provided him some reassurance. Let's face it, Maxie, you're number one on Grape's list, but you're not the only name on it.

Or not. ;)
Come on, Grape’s the only pet at this point sans Sasha that we could believe wouldn’t mind juggling two boyfriends. Heck, if Max is ever informed Res is the author of Pridelands... well who knows, maybe Grape won’t be the only one interested in the striped were-tiger :lol:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:Come on, Grape’s the only pet at this point sans Sasha that we could believe wouldn’t mind juggling two boyfriends. Heck, if Max is ever informed Res is the author of Pridelands... well who knows, maybe Grape won’t be the only one interested in the striped were-tiger :lol:
While that maybe so, she still has to be considerate of Maxwell's feelings depending on what Max wants out of the relationship. They can both enjoy Grape, but they gotta make sure nothing weird happens. x3

Also, it's been a busy day for me, but i want to throw in something that was already mentioned about the whole Peanut/Tarot thing: Tarot was looking for a way to improve her relationship with Peanut and Max pretty much asked the ending question regarding Peanut's interests towards Tarot - how does Tarot get more interested in Peanut's hobbies, make less demands, and be there for any jerks that bother him? She quotes a similar quote to what Grape said to Peanut while she was imitating Tarot: "Hey, Peanut ~ that cool thing you were doing? Tell me more."

Tarot is partaking in Peanut's time rather than taking control of it. It's an improvement. If it doesn't bother Tarot, it shouldn't bother anyone else. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

GameCobra wrote:Tarot is partaking in Peanut's time rather than taking control of it. It's an improvement. If it doesn't bother Tarot, it shouldn't bother anyone else. x3
I fully agree to it. Actually it seems a bit that Tarot welcomes the fact that Grape and Max are trying to help out, even if it doesn't look like it. Althought that is more gut feeling :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just want to say that I think Tarot in the middle panel for some reason looks very seductive and I hope I'm not crossing any lines if I say that and if I am feel free to let me know. Though I don't think I am.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Come on, Grape’s the only pet at this point sans Sasha that we could believe wouldn’t mind juggling two boyfriends. Heck, if Max is ever informed Res is the author of Pridelands... well who knows, maybe Grape won’t be the only one interested in the striped were-tiger.

Actually, Game, Maxwell DOES know that Res is the author of "Pridelands", and his reaction to shaking paws with the Great Writer Himself does suggest a bit of a fan crush on Maxie's part (see "You've Got the Touch", June 17, 2017).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It would be amusing if Grape and Maxwell started to fight over him. Gres vs. Reswell. LOL
Gael

Post by Gael »

Gameb18oy wrote: Come on, Grape’s the only pet at this point sans Sasha that we could believe wouldn’t mind juggling two boyfriends. Heck, if Max is ever informed Res is the author of Pridelands... well who knows, maybe Grape won’t be the only one interested in the striped were-tiger :lol:
But Max already knows, in Temple Crashers 2 part two he refers to Res as "The Writer of Pridelands"
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:It would be amusing if Grape and Maxwell started to fight over him. Gres vs. Reswell. LOL
So you suggest a literal catfight? :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is what I'm going with when I suggested that! To paraphrase Brooke Valentine:

"There's about to be a what? A catfight."
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:It would be amusing if Grape and Maxwell started to fight over him. Gres vs. Reswell. LOL
It would be interesting if Max and Res got one on one time. Before Max was never around when Res appeared then when they were all together they were doing Temple crashers stuff. They’ve haven’t had a chance to just talk. Grape clearly takes up most of both of their attention. Now we need a chapter where Max, Peanut, and Res do something just the three of them. Bro time redux.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:Anyway just because Tarot jumped in Peanuts arms and is asking about Grape that everything is fine and everyone’s relationship is stronger than ever.
And no one is saying that, Fenrir. That is what Niara was talking about. You tend to present the situation as all or nothing, instead of talking about all of the possibilities in between. No one's saying that everything is totally fine now. We're just asking you to consider the possibility that this could turn out well.
fenrirblack wrote:Tarot knew about them but still controlled and manipulated Peanut for her own needs.
This is an exceptionally bleak look and seems completely outside the character of this comic: "At the end of the day, it comes down to Funny Animals". Again what Niara was saying. Why, when there are plenty of other interpretations to be had, do you select the one that seems most likely to end poorly?
fenrirblack wrote:Let me answer your question with a question, why do you want them to stay together or find some happy ending resolution where nothing changes?
We're in an arc that is clearly going to change things. We expect this relationship to change. Some of us are simply hoping that this change is in the form of a stronger relationship between the characters. This stems from us genuinely liking Peanut, Tarot, Maxwell, and Grape, and enjoying the character dynamic between them, and hoping that they can overcome any problems in their relationships.
Niara

Post by Niara »

fenrirblack wrote:That was a lot of assuming and misinterpretation from two paragraphs.
I don't believe I misinterpreted your position or stance, and none of your comments since have made me think so either... but if I did, could you perhaps explain where and how?
I don’t even know where some of that came from, seriously.
It came directly from your own posts, the things you said, the terminology you used to pitch things and the exclusionary language you adopted while doing so. I can do the full analytic if you want me to, but it would be a cross-ways conversation to the rest of the thread at this point. Again, it's not my intention to cause offence or upset, but I feel I've explained my reasoning and illustrated how I've taken the read of your stance that I have, adequately.
Anyway just because Tarot jumped in Peanuts arms and is asking about Grape that everything is fine and everyone’s relationship is stronger than ever.
I don't believe anyone is claiming it is. The most being pushed at least form my perspective is that the four of them are together attempting to talk things out openly, and that as long as they are honest that precludes most of the heat-break situations. I was noting that your read of Tarot as acting purely manipulative in this scene is unlikely to be true, given other dialogue and evidence, and that a more charitable read, which you personally did not even acknowledge as a possibility when you laid out the ways it could be, that Tarot is here attempting to fumble her way through something that she doesn't really understand very well, and is seeking and open to accepting advice and instruction from others in the process, is the much more likely situation here.

I do feel that Tarot has a *Lot* to learn, and there is a lot about her current characterisation that if both unhealthy and easy not to like, but I still feel that the more charitable read of her motives and actions is far more likely to be accurate at this stage.
One we still don’t have a solid conclusion on Max’s feelings.
We have... at least much as this comic tends to provide, if you choose not to ignore or disregard it. You seem to, I suspect because it doesn't agree with your stance, but I'd encourage you to look again with a more open perspective. Max was shocked about learning that Grape and Peanut are functionally intimate to whatever extent is being discussed among these characters, and momentarily rattled, however, when coming back to discussion with Tarot, there was absolutely zero hesitation in his response, and no dodging or uncertainty; he *Does* agree with her on the score of them being okay with that, with trusting them and wanting them to be happy, and not feeling threatened by it. There is no aversion or nervousness in his body posture or expression when he agrees to this, no sign of uncertainty or personal discomfort. Once he is over the initial shock and embarrassment from the previous strip, this appears to be his most genuine response on the matter.

We will still need a check back from the others and some attention to Max on the matter to be properly healthy, but for now he's still processing to some extent and we'll see how his thoughts continue over the next few pages. The arc is not finished, after all, and trying to judge the whole conversation in firm terms, when we've only seen part way through it is a bit futile.
Two we don’t know if this situation will topple like a house of cards before the end of the chapter.
Certainly... but what's your point here? No-one is claiming that it's all sunshine and rainbows now.
Remember that this entire thing started because Peanut’s snd Tarot’s relationship was/is unhealthy. It was never because of Peanut and Grape. Tarot knew about them but still controlled and manipulated Peanut for her own needs.
And then the conversation involved four people in a complex interrelationship and other interrelated topics became a part of their conversation, which is something that happens in normal, healthy relationship discussions.
Let me answer your question with a question,
I'd rather you answered it with an answer. That's why I asked politely.
why do you want them to stay together or find some happy ending resolution where nothing changes?
I want them all to find happy resolution. You're asking me *why* I want them to be happy? Because they are characters that I'm invested in. I never implied that I wanted nothing to change, quite the opposite. I listed in an earlier post a number of things that needed to have attention given to them and I've also mentioned, several times, that there are many ways that this could all resolve variously, with differences and change-ups in the relationship dynamics present, none of which require anyone getting hurt or having their heart broken.

So I ask again... Why do you actively want these characters to suffer? Why do you want to see split up and heart-break?
Also I never said “only two ways this could be” or used the word only.
You used definitive language in your descriptions and you've consistently worked on a binary outcome scenario in all of your posts. You may not have expressly used the word 'only' but it's very clear that the field you are working on when you comment about this relationship, is of two very extreme views, one of which you couch in positive terminology and denote as the 'good' choice, and the other which you cover in negative reference and language and denote as the 'bad' choice, and you generally refuse to entertain anything other than mild variations of those two extreme cases, despite other posters suggesting other options and in-betweens.

You've basically said, just above this, that there is no way for anything to resolve long-term with Tarot and Peanut that will not result in a messy break-up. That's just outright false, but it's what you appear to have your heart set on. Your view on how relationships 'must' go seems to be one that doesn't entertain the idea of non-standard relationships in any way. The way you seem to see it is: characters relationships are only ever two people together, and anything else they do with anyone else is not 'really' a part of that, but is just cheating or unfaithful and is necessarily toxic and damaging and harmful... and that the only way to improve a relationship with difficulties is to split it up, break some hearts and start over.

So, what it comes back to at the end is the question of why you are so firmly dead set on heart-break and suffering being the only outcome. Why do you want that? I'm genuinely really curious to know why your view is looking for that everywhere predicting it at the end of every road, and generally pushing for it as a necessary outcome regardless of any other choices or decisions made.

Once again, if I'm mistaken or misreading you there, please feel free to explain where and how, or to illustrate the ways in which that isn't your stance. Not trying to offend or be aggressive.

On present discussion topic, it'd be neat to see what Res is up to again some time, but I never got the impression that he was intended to be a long term or recurrent character, other than occasionally. Would be nice to see him again though.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I think Rick would prefer to leave Res in Canada, but there are light signs he might be planning something for him in the future. Seems odd to let us know he kept the were-tiger transformation if he doesn’t plan for Res to show up in the future, and the fact he’s working on the last Pridelands book suggest a new role for him in the narrative. Heck, while not as prevalent as some recurring things, like the orange soda=alcohol for pets, it likely could be its own arc showing how the cats respond to Pridelands ending..: and Peanut, Mungo, and the rest of the dogs that are in denial that they are fans. There’s also the light chance Res is Ptah’s descendant, which I’m just hoping because that makes the friendly interactions between Res and Mungo seem kinda like a sign the entire line is fated to be kinda friends if not completely so
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gameb18oy wrote:I think Rick would prefer to leave Res in Canada, but there are light signs he might be planning something for him in the future. Seems odd to let us know he kept the were-tiger transformation if he doesn’t plan for Res to show up in the future, and the fact he’s working on the last Pridelands book suggest a new role for him in the narrative. Heck, while not as prevalent as some recurring things, like the orange soda=alcohol for pets, it likely could be its own arc showing how the cats respond to Pridelands ending..: and Peanut, Mungo, and the rest of the dogs that are in denial that they are fans. There’s also the light chance Res is Ptah’s descendant, which I’m just hoping because that makes the friendly interactions between Res and Mungo seem kinda like a sign the entire line is fated to be kinda friends if not completely so
I think the odds are excellent that we will eventually see Res again, Game, simply because Rick seems to like (and maybe slightly identify with) the literary tabby. Might be a while, though, given that Res got a spotlight role in the last Temple saga. And, leaving the Ptah connection aside (although it is intriguing), a pairing of Res and Mungo has real possibilities. Mungo's a good-hearted, sensitive, and perhaps also artistic sort who might fit nicely in with Res's need for reassurance and calm. Maybe Res doing research for a new police-detective oriented series with a "Inspector Cat" character.... ;)
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

I could also imagine Res would like to come back to Babylon after finishing Pridelands to get some much needed vacation.
Just to be dragged into new adventures :lol:
jonas

Post by jonas »

Whether or not you like Tarot, I don't think anyone can deny she looks pretty gosh-doggin' cute in that last panel. I think maybe it's all that fluff, and her Ewok-like proportions.

Don't tell her I said that.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I've participated here more than a decade; moderated the forum and comment section since 2010; and served as forum administrator nearly six years. In my tenure, I've seen thousands of users join, take part in the community, and leave. One comes to recognize patterns - so-and-so dislikes long arcs or short arcs or really hates Bino or loves the Cosmic Game stuff or despises the Cosmic Game stuff. Hardly anyone likes every aspect of the comic, but almost everyone has something, or many things, they talk about in glowing terms. However, occasionally, the only pattern is negative feedback; despite claiming to love Housepets!, the user seemingly never posts to eloquently express their happiness regarding anything specific. In most instances, those people don't stick around long; either they get tired or inevitably lose their posting privileges. If I look at page after page of a member's comments without seeing a single positive thought, I get curious and then suspicious. Why would one devote so much time and energy to something from which they clearly derive no pleasure? I begin to wonder whether the user's participation really enhances the community or serves as a toxic element. Our rules do require treating one another with respect and civility and, while he rarely reads the forum anymore, Rick is still a member here. If I wouldn't allow a user to constantly belittle another member's creative endeavors, should there be an exception that allows people to just pile on Rick after every update, over and over?

Admittedly, these thoughts regarding a few members in particular have been on my mind for a while. However, lest anyone suggest otherwise, I've no plan to curtail negative feedback - that's happened only once, in rather extreme circumstances.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
LordWolpertinger

Post by LordWolpertinger »

Xane wrote:Graxnurot?
either that or Grapeanutarotax... I could not find a way to slam an M in there. but funnily enough if Max wasn't involved, that's a perfect Portmanteau of the first three.
Gra(PE)nu(T)arot... or am I just nuts :D
Remember while you tell of the injustice done to you, our ancestors seen worse. Draw on the strength they showed when then overcame theirs. And never be ashamed of a scar, it's proof you were stronger than that which sought to kill you.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

jonas wrote:Whether or not you like Tarot, I don't think anyone can deny she looks pretty gosh-doggin' cute in that last panel. I think maybe it's all that fluff, and her Ewok-like proportions.

Don't tell her I said that.
"Ewok-like"? Yeah. I think there's a point there, Jonas, but I'm not subtle enough to ferret it out. Still, you might have something as to why, for a few folks, Tarot raises some strong feelings. (Me, I was NOT a big ewok fan.) Sharp call, sir. ;)
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

Gameb18oy wrote: Had a sibling dynamic? I find it weird that people don’t often bring this up as they still have a sibling dynamic to them.
Okay, I figured since you and Dwmitch kinda brought it up, I'll go 'head and kinda at least address it from my end. Plus, I wouldn't mind some honest further input. Obviously, I can not speak for everyone that likes Peanut and Grape being romantic, and I understand why they wouldn't want to address for obvious reasons. :?

For me the reason is because I'm a romantic in a way, but one with a inquisitive and analytical mind. Because of that, I'm always defining and re-defining what love means to me, questioning the differences in the term 'love' on how it is used(especially since it tends to be thrown around quite a bit these days), and analyzing the little things that most probably don't care to look (mostly cause it's probably some minute detail that didn't matter in the bigger picture anyway). I know Peanut and Grape have a sibling dynamic between them, but they're clearly not directly related to one another; but, how does it differ from two very close friends who are roomies/apartment-mates and have known each other for years and decided to start dating? Or, folks from very close knit communities where everyone knows everyone in the community and just have that slight familial dynamic between members?

Then again, this might be just me and how I was raised growing up that as long as enough members of the family were willing to accept and trust you, you were treated as an honorary member of the family, and were invited to family events (not every party mind you, but occasions like Christmas, Birthday Parties, etc.). Some examples, I guess, off the top of my head would be: I knew my cousin's husband for more than ten years and addressed him as my cousin and sometimes my older brother, even before they even officially started dating one another and he was still just that one neighborhood friend that visited. And, one of my aunts, she was my aunt (and still is actually) during my entire childhood growing up, for me to later found out during my late teens from my mom that this particular aunt and I weren't even related, but was my mom's college friend she managed to keep in close contact with through the years. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever even said her actual name more than 3-5 times in the long time I've actually known her. :lol:

You're more than welcome to give me your opinion of my opinion on the dynamic between Peanut and Grape. As I've said, I'm rather inquisitive, and would actually enjoy hearing your take on my thoughts and maybe how strange it probably is.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To me, it differs because Peanut and Grape were actually RAISED together so it would be like two adoptive siblings being brought up with each other and then suddenly they realize that they are in love with each other. Although I know that can happen in real life and more than enough times it happened in fiction, I still find the whole thing just a little bit too icky.
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Dissension wrote:I've participated here more than a decade... (cutting off whole post for sake of brevity)
Honestly, that's why it's generally a bad idea to take people talking on forums as being representative of people in general; some people are just very loud complainers.

I like Housepets and I mostly just come to the forums to speculate and react to stuff; I've had fun reading the comic. I don't continuously read it (I took a break between 2015ish and 2017) but it's something I've enjoyed for a long time.

I think Rick Griffin is a fun guy and I like a lot of what he makes.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:To me, it differs because Peanut and Grape were actually RAISED together so it would be like two adoptive siblings being brought up with each other and then suddenly they realize that they are in love with each other. Although I know that can happen in real life and more than enough times it happened in fiction, I still find the whole thing just a little bit too icky.
So how is that different from two childhood friends who grew up next door to each other and had lots of sleep-overs?