2019/07/24 - What You Say

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/07/24 - What You Say

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/07/24 - What You Say]
Title Text: you have no chance to survive, make your time

Or maybe you only meant well, Marion?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dr_eirik

Re: 2019/07/24 - What You Say

Post by dr_eirik »

I don't think I want the raccoons to play with me in a game of telephone.

Poor Marion is never going to sleep, is he?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Sleep is something else that the universe seems to have taken away from poor Marion.

I love how "don't panic" was completely ignored.

"Framed for murder" might not be too far off the mark. They think he had something to do with his own disappearance.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

This is the second time Marion has been woken up by raccoon shenanigans, just thus time more directly. He can not catch any shut eye, can he? At least he hasn't run away yet. The miscommunication shouldn't persist too long as Jessica's right there.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

So the game’s begun of ‘Treesy whispers’
and the Squirrel is on the run?
A game so mad you’d suspect Karishad
created it for his personal fun.
Jess to Ink to Fals to Truck, lunacy reigns
as Marion’s woken at night
with a truth so false and utter concern
that sanctuary now becomes flight.
Do the cops know of the basement tunnel?
Is Lois down at the other end?
With all this panic spread across one day
is Marion going round the bend?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I hope they aren’t going to do anything to mess up his chances to talk to Lois. I can honestly see Truck carrying him out the back or through an underground tunnel even though all Marion wants to do is talk to Fox and Fido.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

dr_eirik wrote:I don't think I want the raccoons to play with me in a game of telephone.
I would like to play with them just to see how deep down the sink the original message ends up.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Absolute fact #1: If you want something done right, you must always do it yourself.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Nobody wrote:Absolute fact #1: If you want something done right, you must always do it yourself.
Trying to fix his entire indoor plumbing system Cheers to that!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Don't tell Ink, but I think the inside of her ear's missing... :( I can see the wood of the wall... you might want to get that checked out by a doctor.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Nobody wrote:Absolute fact #1: If you want something done right, you must always do it yourself.
Or... If you want something done right, don't let Raccoons become involved.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Guys, rumors are saying that Marion is wanted by INTERPOL for international financial crimes and manslaughter
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

fenrirblack wrote:I hope they aren’t going to do anything to mess up his chances to talk to Lois. I can honestly see Truck carrying him out the back or through an underground tunnel even though all Marion wants to do is talk to Fox and Fido.
I hope so to, althought I can still see Marion panicking for no reason while Jessica tries to smuggle him out for some reason.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well that escalated quickly.
Champion Wallace

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Give them some credit. They did successfully get medicine back to Tiny Tum.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Give them some credit. They did successfully get medicine back to Tiny Tum.
Well, Truck did. Falstaff got deported and Jess 'trusted' them enough that she went to town 'in case'.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

What did he say? The police want to frame the squirrel on their wall until Monday?
Champion Wallace

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Give them some credit. They did successfully get medicine back to Tiny Tum.
Well, Truck did. Falstaff got deported and Jess 'trusted' them enough that she went to town 'in case'.
When Jessica set out to town she had no plans for securing supplies. Her mission was to tackle the Opener's hold on the forest (she didn't really plan so all she did was yell at Zach). She was right to be dubious about Falstaff and Truck's chance of success, but my point is they're not completely incompetent. I'm sure Falstaff helped some before he was caught.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Let's take a quick look at things from Marion's point of view.

If it's murder that means they have a body.

Whose body? Why, Marion's!

Being mind-swapped into a squirrel is less freaky than being turned into one. Avoids that whole conservation of mass issue. But that means his dead body's out there, and he's stuck in a squirrel. Who's being framed for murder. Of himself!

(cue organ sting)
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Ah, come on :lol: Don't give poor Marion a heart-attack! :lol:
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Move 'ZIG'. For great justice.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Gbr23 wrote:Guys, rumors are saying that Marion is wanted by INTERPOL for international financial crimes and manslaughter
I heard from a beaver, who heard from a deer who got the definitive word from an eagle that Marion is wanted for treason, espionage and the murder or Archduke Ferdinand!

I like how Falstaff is unflappable here. Once he realizes that the cops aren't there for him, hes back to his usual self.

I dont think Jessica is going to simply take him out the back, though I wouldn't be surprised if Steward offers to do so...
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Argent

Post by Argent »

Karishad: "What about my escape tunnel?"
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:Karishad: "What about my escape tunnel?"
Being Karishad, it probably ends in the middle of the police station.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Pulling from the Ancient Internet for a title and alt text; I love it.

And Falstaff & Truck are back in the story, which is awesome. Truck getting more interaction with Marion (albeit one that scared the bajeezus out of him) is neat. Maybe, if Marion somehow doesn’t wind up with the K-9’s, Truck will become Marion’s confidant like I guessed?
fenrirblack wrote:I can honestly see Truck carrying him out the back or through an underground tunnel even though all Marion wants to do is talk to Fox and Fido.
Yeah, I’m getting a vibe from the current situation that things could (very sadly) get hectic for Marion once again, with circumstances outside of his control leading him farther away from help. A pair of raccoons irrationally concerned with his safety thanks to miscommunications and forcibly hauling him out a secret exit is a possibility. But then again, Jess is right there and looks to be preparing to explain everything more clearly in the next strip; Truck’s freakout and his subsequent freaking out of Marion looks to be played for comedic effect above all else.

With everyone’s attention on Marion, its unlikely that Steward will try any funny business. My “Marion sneaks out of there with Steward (and only Steward) via a tunnel that the badger dug himself” idea doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. However, I’m still keeping my theory that Steward, coin in hand, may’ve snuck out by himself, and could possibly have a chance encounter with Lois.

I wonder if Jess is going to force Marion to explain why the cops need him for questioning. He seems like he’s been honest and I don’t think he’ll lie. If Marion’s brain is still in Finals Week mode, he could make connections and deductions and understand they think he (as in the squirrel) is one of the only ones that can help with where he (as in his human self) is:

Marion: [Completely unaware that he’s saying all this out loud over the course of several panels, his expression and hand movements changing in each of them as he’s talking] So if the cops are looking for me, then that might be because Mom reported me as a squirrel to the cops for breaking and entering my own home. But what if... oh, the text messages! Mom or Lois must’ve read them. They probably think that I’m the last one that saw me, and they’re looking for me so I can lead them to myself!
[Group shot of Jess, Falstaff, and Truck, all very confused and staring at him.]
Marion: [Embarrassed, realizing that he’s got some major explaining to do.] Uhh, I guess it’d be easier if I started from the beginning...
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote:Pulling from the Ancient Internet for a title and alt text; I love it.

And Falstaff & Truck are back in the story, which is awesome. Truck getting more interaction with Marion (albeit one that scared the bajeezus out of him) is neat. Maybe, if Marion somehow doesn’t wind up with the K-9’s, Truck will become Marion’s confidant like I guessed?
Finding a confidant will take some time here, I think. At the least, it will have to wait until the immediate issues are either resolved or at least settled down. It also depends on what his "final" disposition is. If, for some reason, he ends up staying at the treehouse (which seems unlikely) then Jess, Ink or even Zach seem like they would be better confidants. Truck seems more like a buddy. I could see a calmer, happier Marion perhaps someday going into the woods with Truck to explore. I'm not sure Marion would trust him with deeper questions.
With everyone’s attention on Marion, its unlikely that Steward will try any funny business. My “Marion sneaks out of there with Steward (and only Steward) via a tunnel that the badger dug himself” idea doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. However, I’m still keeping my theory that Steward, coin in hand, may’ve snuck out by himself, and could possibly have a chance encounter with Lois.
Things are happening fast, so it's hard to say at the moment if Steward is even aware of what is going on at the moment. I suppose that he might even have stepped out for the time being for some reason. I also doubt that he'd get his claws dirty digging a tunnel. If there is one, it's a Karishad operation
I wonder if Jess is going to force Marion to explain why the cops need him for questioning. He seems like he’s been honest and I don’t think he’ll lie.
I'm not sure that Jess would force him, but I'm sure the next panel is likely going to be something along the lines of "Why do the cops want to talk to you? What did you do that I should stick my next out for you?" When I think about it, Jess is in what is as close to panic mode as she gets, but she is still perhaps the most relentlessly practical member of the household. Heck, she might be the most practical of all the characters we've met in Housepets. For the moment, she's behind a locked door, and already looks calmed down.

If Marion’s brain is still in Finals Week mode, he could make connections and deductions and understand they think he (as in the squirrel) is one of the only ones that can help with where he (as in his human self) is:

Marion: [Completely unaware that he’s saying all this out loud over the course of several panels, his expression and hand movements changing in each of them as he’s talking] So if the cops are looking for me, then that might be because Mom reported me as a squirrel to the cops for breaking and entering my own home. But what if... oh, the text messages! Mom or Lois must’ve read them. They probably think that I’m the last one that saw me, and they’re looking for me so I can lead them to myself!
[Group shot of Jess, Falstaff, and Truck, all very confused and staring at him.]
Marion: [Embarrassed, realizing that he’s got some major explaining to do.] Uhh, I guess it’d be easier if I started from the beginning...
Building off of that....
<Gentle but firm knock on the metal door>
Fox: Jessica, it's me, Offi... Fox. We met before when I was looking for Sasha. We aren't here to make trouble for you. And we aren't trying to arrest her, we just want to talk with her. She might be a witness to a kidnapping.
Marion: Wait, the cops are HERE? NOW? And you locked them OUTSIDE?!
<Another knock, louder and from much higher up on the door>
Lois: Please, Ms. Possum, can you please talk? She might know something about my boyfriend Marion going missing.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ahah, what a mess you're doing! :lol: Why change the meaning of the phrase? Meh, typical of the word of mouth. :P Yeah, Jessica, you really had to. ;) Poor Marion's heart, neither while sleeping it can beat safe... :P Now, open the door at the police, because you've already done an infraction. :roll:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:Pulling from the Ancient Internet for a title and alt text; I love it.

Finding a confidant will take some time here, I think. At the least, it will have to wait until the immediate issues are either resolved or at least settled down. It also depends on what his "final" disposition is. If, for some reason, he ends up staying at the treehouse (which seems unlikely) then Jess, Ink or even Zach seem like they would be better confidants. Truck seems more like a buddy. I could see a calmer, happier Marion perhaps someday going into the woods with Truck to explore. I'm not sure Marion would trust him with deeper questions.
Lois has and was Marion's best chance as his partner character. Truck and Falstaff are there for comic relief so the odds that they would be anymore than that is zero. They have a buddy relationship already so Marion being a third wheel is unlikely.
dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:With everyone’s attention on Marion, its unlikely that Steward will try any funny business. My “Marion sneaks out of there with Steward (and only Steward) via a tunnel that the badger dug himself” idea doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. However, I’m still keeping my theory that Steward, coin in hand, may’ve snuck out by himself, and could possibly have a chance encounter with Lois.
Things are happening fast, so it's hard to say at the moment if Steward is even aware of what is going on at the moment. I suppose that he might even have stepped out for the time being for some reason. I also doubt that he'd get his claws dirty digging a tunnel. If there is one, it's a Karishad operation.
That would be interesting if during the commotion Steward slips out and manages to talk to Lois while Fox and Fido's backs are turned. Considering the craziness before maybe he left to get some fresh air before Jess put the treehouse in lockdown mode. I could see him peering from behind a tree and seeing the three banging on the door yelling for Jess to let them inside. Then he sees Lois's bracelet and the gears in his twisted little mind start turning.
dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:I wonder if Jess is going to force Marion to explain why the cops need him for questioning. He seems like he’s been honest and I don’t think he’ll lie.
I'm not sure that Jess would force him, but I'm sure the next panel is likely going to be something along the lines of "Why do the cops want to talk to you? What did you do that I should stick my next out for you?" When I think about it, Jess is in what is as close to panic mode as she gets, but she is still perhaps the most relentlessly practical member of the household. Heck, she might be the most practical of all the characters we've met in Housepets. For the moment, she's behind a locked door, and already looks calmed down.
I can see her calmly asking why the cops want him. From there I can see it going in several directions the most obvious being that either that he lies and says he doesn't know and that he should go see them to find out OR tell her the truth which might not go over to well. If he goes with the latter and Steward overhears then that could confirm his suspicions about Marion and we can progress with Steward's role in all of this.
It is interesting to see how loyal they all are to a squirrel they just met. I mean Truck and Falstaff have a somewhat more personal relationship because they stole a pie together which is forever but the others owe him nothing.

Jess: Us feral have to stick together and protect one another.
Marion: That's...great but I really think it would be best if I see what they want.
Jess: Your funeral.
Marion runs out the door and jumps into Fox's arms.
Marion: Save me! They're crazy. There are these two fox kits who say they use to be gods. A badger who wants to liberate me and raccoon that keeps trying to get me to join a cult. No one will let me sleep!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Lois has and was Marion's best chance as his partner character. Truck and Falstaff are there for comic relief so the odds that they would be anymore than that is zero. They have a buddy relationship already so Marion being a third wheel is unlikely.
That does seem far more likely. I was only thinking if, for reasons that we can't yet see, Marion is somehow forced to live as a feral squirrel. I can't say that I see that as where this story is heading at all. At worst, I think he's heading for life something closer to a pet.
It is interesting to see how loyal they all are to a squirrel they just met. I mean Truck and Falstaff have a somewhat more personal relationship because they stole a pie together which is forever but the others owe him nothing.

Jess: Us feral have to stick together and protect one another.
Marion: That's...great but I really think it would be best if I see what they want.
Jess: Your funeral.
Marion runs out the door and jumps into Fox's arms.
Marion: Save me! They're crazy. There are these two fox kits who say they use to be gods. A badger who wants to liberate me and raccoon that keeps trying to get me to join a cult. No one will let me sleep!
<Seven hours later, after non-stop questioning>
Marion: <dazed> My name is Elmer J. Fudd, Millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that once everybody calms down and stops freaking out inside the house, cooler heads will prevail and they will all be able to get everything sorted.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

my money i on karishad having built a VTOL engine into the foundation/roots.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Just got around to seeing yesterday's comic. It seems miscommunication and misunderstanding is a running theme. There's the classic blunders characters interpreting others' words wrong, characters saying something poorly, and plain old lack of information.

What's fresh is how there's characters who realize the potential for misunderstanding so they try to be a few steps ahead of everyone else. Marion does his homework on spontaneous transformation, contacts people he knows, sends a photo as proof, and tries to explain his situation rationally. Lois is another way Rick may be trying to subvert the standard "something strange happens to protagonist and no one believes them" story; in this cliche the protagonist is usually left to themselves, but Lois didn't dismiss Marion. She's smart enough to not throw away the only evidence she has of Marion's whereabouts simply because "they're crazy" or something.

What all this means remains to be seen. Will this end with a wholesome message about trusting your loved one? Or a depressing conclusion that people can't accept truth even when the proof is in front of them? Who knows :?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Argent wrote:Let's take a quick look at things from Marion's point of view.

If it's murder that means they have a body.

Whose body? Why, Marion's!

Being mind-swapped into a squirrel is less freaky than being turned into one. Avoids that whole conservation of mass issue. But that means his dead body's out there, and he's stuck in a squirrel. Who's being framed for murder. Of himself!

(cue organ sting)
I'm...................pretty sure Jessica is just going to clarif everything in just the next two seconds.

So dramatic.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Pretty sure that is what is going to happen also since I can't really imagine she would be content to let the other ferals living in her house get sent into a pandemonium.
shadowlucario50

Telephone, Except It Gets Worse

Post by shadowlucario50 »

I feel we could make a game out of this little thread.
Jessica wrote:Don't panic, but the police are here and they want Marion for questioning.
Custom Ink wrote:Marion is wanted by the police! They're already at the door!
Truck wrote:Apparently, the authorities marked the squirrel as wanted: dead or alive.
Falstaff wrote:The police framed Marion for murder!
Discostew wrote:What did he say? The police want to frame the squirrel on their wall until Monday?
Shadow Lucario 50 wrote:No, no! They said finance, not frame! They want to talk to Marion about tax evasion.
Gbr23 wrote:Guys, rumors are saying that Marion is wanted by INTERPOL for international financial crimes and manslaughter.
dr_eirik wrote:I heard from a beaver, who heard from a deer who got the definitive word from an eagle that Marion is wanted for treason, espionage and the murder or Archduke Ferdinand!
Xane wrote:"They say [Marion] ATE another squirrel!"
... And so on.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh sure! The minute I leave for my vacation is when you guys decide to come up with a hilarious activity that ends as soon as I come back from my vacation. Thanks a lot guys! :x

LOL. Just kidding, XD
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Oh sure! The minute I leave for my vacation is when you guys decide to come up with a hilarious activity that ends as soon as I come back from my vacation. Thanks a lot guys! :x
...Vacation? I heard you were on the lam, running from the FBI....

:D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Oh sure! The minute I leave for my vacation is when you guys decide to come up with a hilarious activity that ends as soon as I come back from my vacation. Thanks a lot guys! :x
...Vacation? I heard you were on the lam, running from the FBI....

:D
No, that's Marion, isn't it? That's why he's disguised as a necklace-wearing squirrel, right? Hey, I just got back, too and, you know, you can read the whole backstory or just go with the crazy rumor....
Frank

Post by Frank »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Trying to fix his entire indoor plumbing system Cheers to that!
I've actually done that. I can attest that when the "professional" came in, he totally ruined the project. I'd made a blueprint and everything! All he had to do was follow it!
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Champion Wallace

For anyone who doesn't want to trawl the Ancient Internet, the alt text is the line immediately following "All your base are belong to us." at the start of Zero Wing, a line that garnered infamy for how horrendously translated from Japanese to English it was, kinda like how the meaning of what was being said in this strip deteriorated as each person told someone else. You can read more at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_ ... long_to_us. I haven't found anything specific the title is getting at.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm sure that once everybody calms down and stops freaking out inside the house, cooler heads will prevail and they will all be able to get everything sorted.
Well when you say it like that it sounds totally unreasonable and like it's never going to happen :).