2019/05/22 - Return Of The Broom

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
NHWestoN

Re: 2019/05/22 - Return Of The Broom

Post by NHWestoN »

22xander wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:…… trying to remember, apropos of nuthin', have we ever had a feral talk to a human is this comic? Marion's exchange with his mom might be a first, then, assuming she understood him and his words didn't come out as squirrel jabber.
I aussme you arnt counting the wolves, but foes Jessica count? Back in the state fair arc she talked to a guy who was concerned she was in the petting zoo.

To be fair, it probably happens alot and I just don't remember other ones xP
Thanks, 22. I wasn't mentally counting the wolves.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:While connecting with Steward seems a likely direction, it's not the only one. I feel like if that happens, Marion would also cross paths with Kitsune, who would take an interest in the little critters current predicament. Even if that interest boils down to, "Sorry pal, can't help ya."

As for his future... I guess that depends on how Rick feels about the character. Is Marion a "one-off" for this arc and then finds a way to return to his humanity? Or is he destined to be a rat with a nicer tail for the rest of his life? I'm anxious to see.
I doubt Marion would be a single use character, that's not Rick's style. Just from the amount of effort that has gone into developing Marion's character and setting up his role in the comic shows that he is going to have some kind of significant role even if it is limited to finding a way to return to normal which if King's story is any indication, could take a while. Plus depending on where Rick wants to go, Marion could still serve as a type of bridge between connecting animals and humans which has been a common theme in the comic since practically the beginning.

The problem with the "Pet" path or even the "Lois" path is the same problem that any alternative path Julia could have taken in that it doesn't move the plot forward. Meeting the pets or hanging with Lois will only delay the inevitable which is that Marion is most likely Steward's foil given that even if we don't know how Marion was changed, again who else is going to stop Steward? No one else has a connection to Steward besides the ferrets (and ferals) and clearly they don't care. If Marion was one of Steward's victims that establishes a connection right there. Seeking out Kitsune would be his best option but since Kitsune is watching over Pete and Dragon that puts Marion in Steward's path since they are all together. Like you said, Kitsune is not going help because unlike with Pete, this is a mortal matter. Not to mention that if Marion is going to be the hero, he has to remain a squirrel just for that purpose.

Getting back to the pets since that is a less likely option but still on the table, what are they going to do with him? What can they do? If he was changed into a "pet" animal then it would make more sense for him to go to them but since he was turned into a "feral" animal then it makes more sense for him to go to the ferals. Say he runs into the main cast, the most they can do is introduce him to Kitsune (statue) which again would be useless. Right now Marion needs to find shelter so unless one of them wants to offer their homes for the poor guy, there is nothing gained from including them at the moment. Tarot and Sabrina weren't exactly helpful when it came to King and that was when they were all involved with the Game. Marion is just a random TF victim that has no connection to the pets or even Babylon Gardens (as far as we know).
Yeah, we're all a bit handicapped by not knowing several key details. The biggest is how/why he was transformed in the first place and possibly why this form in particular. Once we learn that (I assume we will at some point) a lot of the pieces will start to come together.

I know there's been some speculation that Marion was the random teenage boy that was a friend of one of the younger wolves we saw some time back in on panel, which if that's the case if means that he might seek them out. Though, if any of them would give him a chance to explain before he became dinner is another matter.

I do like to think that, assuming that he can't turn back, he will eventually be allowed to return home. It would just take time.
What happens if this was all just a dream (I was thinking this as he woke up as an animal, so it could very well be just a dream)...though it would lead to the question as to why he dreamed that.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Frank

Post by Frank »

Why does everyone assume he knows of Steward's existence or that he's even nearby? Even if he is responsible, since Marion woke up like this, he probably did his deed last night

The more logical thing to do in-world (consider that he does have an idea of what's on the news) is get support/protection from the almighty ferrets
SeanWolf wrote:What happens if this was all just a dream (I was thinking this as he woke up as an animal, so it could very well be just a dream)...though it would lead to the question as to why he dreamed that.
Well, Dragon and Pete could, so to speak, beam dreams in (or was it?) so maybe we should be looking at the other celestials and who they could be in cahoots with
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Frank wrote:Why does everyone assume he knows of Steward's existence or that he's even nearby? Even if he is responsible, since Marion woke up like this, he probably did his deed last night
I don't think anyone thinks he knows of Steward existence (At least, in his current form as a badger, he might have known him as a human), but more that these two seemed destined to meet since Steward was last seen holding the coin that transformed him.

Because that is, currently, the only thing we know of capable of doing this to Marion it's a logical leap. I suppose Kitsune could do it, too, but that seems way out of character. So Steward being involved at some point makes sense, either as the one who sets this in motion or someone looking to take advantage.

As to Marion being nowhere near Babylon Gardens... that seems unlikely unless Rick is planning a spin-off strip. ;)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Frank wrote:Why does everyone assume he knows of Steward's existence or that he's even nearby? Even if he is responsible, since Marion woke up like this, he probably did his deed last night

The more logical thing to do in-world (consider that he does have an idea of what's on the news) is get support/protection from the almighty ferrets
It's not that he knows about Steward as much as he's going to "bump" into Steward either through someone else or as a random encounter. Say for example he wants to find Lois and to get to her house he has to go through the woods. He meets the ferals who take him to Steward. Something like that would be an option. Or if you want to be creepy about it, Steward was secretly watching him the entire time, and now that Marion is vulnerable, is going to make his move to coerce Marion to his side.

There is no guarantee Marion knows about the Miltons or would actively seek their help. He watched the news once but he's still a teenager so I doubt he has any real knowledge of the Miltons or anything they do because before now, why would he care.
dr_eirik wrote: I know there's been some speculation that Marion was the random teenage boy that was a friend of one of the younger wolves we saw some time back in on panel, which if that's the case if means that he might seek them out. Though, if any of them would give him a chance to explain before he became dinner is another matter.

I do like to think that, assuming that he can't turn back, he will eventually be allowed to return home. It would just take time.
We know it wasn't the same boy from before but that doesn't mean that he doesn't know about the wolves. I mean four wolves join your school and one is a teacher, you're going to know about it. There is also the possibility that Miles even taught one of Marion's class once since he was technically a sub. It is possible that even though Marion might not have a previously established connection to the wolves, he may be desperate enough to seek them out given the fact that they are animals and therefore more likely to listen to him. BUT that would involved Marion actually seeking out a pack of wolves which given his current state would be dangerous which could be a deterrent for him. Honestly, the wolves would be his best option given their experience to human TF with King and the Kitsune statue being in their house but it might not be the best option for the plot. It's the same paradox as what he should do to help himself versus what he should do for the sake of the story.

Logically Julia will realize her mistake eventually. All she has to do is call Lois and have Lois tell her, "Marion texted me this morning. He was trying to make some joke about being turned into a squirrel and even sent me a picture of it." But there is still the chance that even if all signs point to Marion telling the truth that she might not believe it given how crazy it sounds and instead choose to believe that her son was kidnapped and that is why he's missing. There is also Marion's choice in all of this. Like I said earlier, if Steward is able to convince Marion that his human life is over and he is better off staying with the ferals, then he could decide to reject his family and home. That being said, he will return home and it is a matter of time, the question is how much time will have passed and will he have to be human again for that to happen.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed May 22, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:He meets the ferals who take him to Steward.
Why would they do that, rather than take him to Zach or Jessica who are the closest thing to authorities in the woods.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
22xander

Post by 22xander »

Argent wrote:
Why would they do that, rather than take him to Zach or Jessica who are the closest thing to authorities in the woods.
Well, they are in the same place, so it's not too much of a stretch that they would end up there.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:
Steward has been there for a year so he could have gained some sway over them. If they did take him to Zach or Jess, Steward is still there with them so technically they'll have taken Marion to Steward even if it wasn't their intent. Indirectly taken him to Steward. Zach and Jess can't help him so Steward steps in to offer aid is what I'm getting at.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You'd think he'd have made some sort of a sign. That would have been a smart thing to think about ahead of time.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Aww, poor Marion, again... :( This reaction by his mother was forseeable, then. :roll: I know you want, but it's hard to explain being a squirrel. :| Anyway, it's good to see again, after long time, a great protagotist of this comic, also if not together with out violet cat: the broom! :D :P And now the squirrel is out of his home, but maybe is better this way: now could happen something good and worth to help him, hopefully... :)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sleet wrote:You'd think he'd have made some sort of a sign. That would have been a smart thing to think about ahead of time.
Remember, he was brimming with the confidence of a teenager who knows everything and is indestructible just a few hours before when he started the Google search. I'm sure that he thought that he'd have solved this problem, or at least explained it, by the time his parents got home.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

This arc so far has been nonstop setbacks and shocks for Marion. Really hope that it ends with things looking a little bit up for him; a lot can happen over the course of a few strips. Maybe he tries making his way to Lois', Tarot stumbles upon him, and she sees (in multiple ways) his predicament? Ending the arc with things getting even worse for Marion or him being downright miserable and wallowing in self-pity would be a real bummer.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
zoogi1

Post by zoogi1 »

Mom should already be aware that Marion's car hasn't left the house, even before having came in the door
Last edited by zoogi1 on Wed May 22, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

zoogi1 wrote:Mom should already be aware that Marion's car hasn't left the house, even before having came in the door
True, but that doesn't mean that there's a problem. She might think that he caught a ride with a friend or even that he was sick in his room. She wouldn't have left the wild critter in her living room to check if Marion was actually there.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Just occurred to me that Marions friends and family will be looking for the squirel at some point, but not necessarily because they believe him. The last one to apparently see him "alive" is a feral squirrel, so someone is going to want answers. I'm sure most would assume this bizarre transformation story is just that, a story.

Maybe he'll run into the K-9's...
Argent

Post by Argent »

22xander wrote:
Argent wrote:
Well, they are in the same place, so it's not too much of a stretch that they would end up there.
Zach is at the Arbelt's.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Hey, when you think about it ~ some people don't check their kid's room for months, even years in comic books and video games and no-one bats an eye lash when they find it weird to ask where they been for years. Marion might just be that lucky!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
shadowlucario50

Broom Doom and the Case of The Missing Zoom

Post by shadowlucario50 »

dr_eirik wrote:Just occurred to me that Marions friends and family will be looking for the squirel at some point, but not necessarily because they believe him. The last one to apparently see him "alive" is a feral squirrel, so someone is going to want answers. I'm sure most would assume this bizarre transformation story is just that, a story.

Maybe he'll run into the K-9's...
Or he'll run into Sabrina who takes him to Fido, who would be investigating the missing whereabouts of Marion.

I really don't know what people were expecting in the thread last time. With no former knowledge, of course Julia would go the natural route of throwing out Marion no matter what he said. The question still remains of what Marion will do next. Will he try to get back in and try to convince Julia? Or will he head over to the school to get help from Lois? Will he be found first by some predators? Or would he be found by someone more friendly?

With all the dogs around though, I feel like one of the dogs will find Marion and start chasing him. I'll put my bet on one of King's pups chasing Marion, though it's a bit unlikely.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Or he goes to Jessica's house and runs into the fox kits instead of Steward.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:Zach is at the Arbelt's.
That is the weird thing though. He went home but we never got full conformation he decided to stay. He was with Keene and the rest of the ferals during their little sleepover so Zach could have had a change of heart about returning to Jerry.
Argent wrote:Or he goes to Jessica's house and runs into the fox kits instead of Steward.
There wouldn’t be anything to gain from having Pete or Dragon involved. True he could “meet” them but it wouldn’t accomplish anything significant.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I just realized that this story arc is not a full storyline, but the prologue the adventures we'll see during year 12 of the comic!
With that in mind, I've replaced my overexcitement with a more meassured enthusiasm. I am greatly thrilled by the coming year of wackyness we are going to see, but I can't be hyped out of my mind for an entire 365 days.
But, oh boy, what fun chaos is brewing now!
Ash Greytree wrote:This arc so far has been nonstop setbacks and shocks for Marion. Really hope that it ends with things looking a little bit up for him; a lot can happen over the course of a few strips. Maybe he tries making his way to Lois', Tarot stumbles upon him, and she sees (in multiple ways) his predicament? Ending the arc with things getting even worse for Marion or him being downright miserable and wallowing in self-pity would be a real bummer.
My proverbial money (because I'm kinda broke at the moment) is that he will go to Lois' house and she'll take care of him for the time being.

Still, I am hanging my finger over the F key in case I may need to pay respects at the end of this story arc.
GameCobra wrote:Someone that's not a Sandwich using the broom, too?

Obviously Grape's real mom.

Ok, i'll show myself out this time. *exits stage left*
Attachments
tIuC94C.jpg
tIuC94C.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 10893 times
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
fenrirblack

Re: Broom Doom and the Case of The Missing Zoom

Post by fenrirblack »

shadowlucario50 wrote:I really don't know what people were expecting in the thread last time. With no former knowledge, of course Julia would go the natural route of throwing out Marion no matter what he said. The question still remains of what Marion will do next. Will he try to get back in and try to convince Julia? Or will he head over to the school to get help from Lois? Will he be found first by some predators? Or would he be found by someone more friendly?
Rick has been known to mix things up and do something unexpected in the past when it comes to things like this. You think someone is going to do one thing but they do something else instead. Plus it was mainly false hope that it wouldn't come to this even though it was the most natural and obvious reaction. To be honest there really wasn't anything else that could have happened given the circumstances but that's never stopped Rick before. For instance if Marion somehow managed to get an actual explanation in then maybe she would have believed him or at least given him the benefit of the doubt. Tears wouldn't have hurt either but I'm sure they'll come later. As crazy as it may seem a random squirrel breaks into your home and claims to be your son (who's belongings are all there by the way not just the car) then you would want believe that other than something else like he was kidnapped during the middle of the night. Even in the HPU what are the odds that feral animals would appear claiming to be your transformed offspring?
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

If Marion is smart, he’ll stick around until his mom has come to the conclusion that her son is lost and that the squirrel is her only lead.

But I’m guessing he’ll either be chased away or carried away by another critter before that happens.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Char89Charizard

Post by Char89Charizard »

My theory on where the story will go is this: Marion will tried to convince her that that he really is her son. But she closed the door on him not wanting to hear any more lies and calls for "Marion" only to find he's not around. And when she tried to call him on his phone, it would ring from his bedroom. And when she hears that Marion was not in class like he should, she's gonna assume he's been kidnapped as he was leaving the house and that's how she assume the squirrel got in.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just as I was afraid of, Julia wouldn't let him explain or believed him and then just freaked out. I hope she can figure it out soon, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing her again until Marion is transformed back to normal.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, she did give him a chance. He just made the mistake of not immediately taking it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

There have been multiple scenes of Zach in the Arbelt house all through the strip. That's clearly home for him.
fenrirblack wrote:There wouldn’t be anything to gain from having Pete or Dragon involved. True he could “meet” them but it wouldn’t accomplish anything significant.
The kits want magical power, whatever did this to him has magical power, so they'll team up to solve the mystery. Duke ends up involved and we get Scooby Doo shenanigans that end up foiling Old Mister Steward.

At the end we get a PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER scene that goes *poit* halfway through when the coin burns out.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Argent wrote:There have been multiple scenes of Zach in the Arbelt house all through the strip. That's clearly home for him.
fenrirblack wrote:There wouldn’t be anything to gain from having Pete or Dragon involved. True he could “meet” them but it wouldn’t accomplish anything significant.
The kits want magical power, whatever did this to him has magical power, so they'll team up to solve the mystery. Duke ends up involved and we get Scooby Doo shenanigans that end up foiling Old Mister Steward.

At the end we get a PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER scene that goes *poit* halfway through when the coin burns out.
… Or Stewart/Badger absent-mindedly drops it into a candy machine, thereby ending the arc and also taking our "Vending Machine Game!" thread to a whole new level of weird.
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:… Or Stewart/Badger absent-mindedly drops it into a candy machine
Maybe he did, and now it's in the pocket of Marion's jeans in the laundry basket.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Argent wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:… Or Stewart/Badger absent-mindedly drops it into a candy machine
Maybe he did, and now it's in the pocket of Marion's jeans in the laundry basket.
Maybe the coin is in the jeans that were on his bed?
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If he had the coin on him and in his pocket before, wouldn't he have transformed instantly and it wouldn't have waited until after a few hours or a day?
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If he had the coin on him and in his pocket before, wouldn't he have transformed instantly and it wouldn't have waited until after a few hours or a day?
We've had two examples of it in action and that's how it worked both times, so unless something fundamental changed about it...
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I mean even if you said it was delayed because it was in his pocket rather than him holding it, it still had to get in his pocket somehow and when he did put it there...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

22xander wrote:
Argent wrote:
I'm not sure that would do Marion much good. We've assumed that Steward/Badger has not divulged the coin to any of Jessica's gang and that, furthermore, he's keeping it for some sinister purpose, as yet undisclosed. He's got no motive for helping Marion - and that's assuming the coin would help the little nut-knapper - and likely the same personal reasons for keeping it hidden. Maybe his attachment to the coin is nothing more than the hope that somehow it holds the key to his return to human form. Maybe even to human form without the poison ivy rash...…

Maybe.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Could be that Marion is just a random target of Stewart's attempts to try the coin as well, but that's assuming the coin is indeed involved.

If it's a random attempt by Stewart, i'm taking this arc as a set-up towards a plan Stewart is thinking about: Zach as the the opener of ways ~ He shall lead the humans to squirrliness the path of the wild.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

SeanWolf wrote:Oh dear. Then again, I doubt if his mom even knew it was him as wouldn't his voice have changed too (like wouldn't it be more higher pitched as a squirrel)?
Fox didn't recognize King's voice as Joel's, but it seems Steward recognized camel Thomas was still Thomas after hearing his voice so... :?:.
NHWestoN wrote:…… trying to remember, apropos of nuthin', have we ever had a feral talk to a human is this comic? Marion's exchange with his mom might be a first, then, assuming she understood him and his words didn't come out as squirrel jabber.
There was also when Cory and Truck used Karishad's credit card on ice cream (unless the shop was run by a non-human).
Lockely wrote:Marion's mom should probably realize something is up shortly. She's going to see his phone/bookbag/shoes still in the house. Then she'll see the squirrel was using the computer and I imagine the recent search history is going to hint at his situation.
A yes, "My son is missing, what should I do? I know, this is the perfect time to look through his private search history."
Lockely wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:If he had the coin on him and in his pocket before, wouldn't he have transformed instantly and it wouldn't have waited until after a few hours or a day?
We've had two examples of it in action and that's how it worked both times, so unless something fundamental changed about it...
The change is instantaneous. Realizing it's happened is not.
The cape comes with the promotion.
shadowlucario50

The New Thread for the New Comic Hasn't Been Made Yet. :<

Post by shadowlucario50 »

dr_eirik wrote:Maybe he'll run into the K-9's...
You called it. Nicely done!~
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ash Greytree wrote:Maybe the coin is in the jeans that were on his bed?
Good eye.

If he got it in change it could have gotten into his pocket without him actually touching it.

And it fell out, he touched it in his sleep, and is now in the bedclothes waiting for mumsie to run across it.
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Champion Wallace wrote:A yes, "My son is missing, what should I do? I know, this is the perfect time to look through his private search history."
It's less that and more "What was this squirrel doing with the laptop that I literally found it laying next to using?"
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Looking through the search history is something that is done after the police do an initial sweep. They show up, search for evidence then ask about the computer. They probably check his phone first but if it’s passcode protected then they’re out of luck. Them turn to the computer history to Check for message rooms, online chat groups, sketchy websites, anything that to lead to answers that to help find him.

If he left the browser open to some kind of website about human-animal transformation then that could go a long way of getting his mother to at least question what he was saying. If that did happen it might spike her curiosity to look through the history to at least see “what was that crazy squirrel doing on the laptop?”