For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/06/17 - Pie In The Sky

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/06/17 - Pie In The Sky]
Title Text:  pie to the face!

untitled.png
untitled.png (23.93 KiB) Viewed 10996 times
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/06/17 - Pie In The Sky

Post by fenrirblack »

That was a quick heist. Here I was expecting something like from Ratatouille with an epic chase and Marion almost dying. Oh well. Moving on.

That answers a few questions and raises so many more. Show of hands, how many think he's going to try to convince Mrs. McGillicuddy who he is?

I love how those two didn't quite catch the fact that he told them that they had a previous relationship with her even if their understanding of "babysitting" is wrong. I guess they had more important things on the brain. Like cartoon pie. :roll:

How many scares that does that make now? Three, four? The fact he hasn't had that heart attack yet is a miracle onto itself.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Sounds more like Mrs. McGillicuddy left that out as bait. :lol:
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Busted. Now you have to restart at the latest checkpoint
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Was she just there waiting for someone to show up? :lol:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Finally he’s getting his way
and things are going for him;
he’s worked out how they think
and he’s climbing up with vim.
He’s found one he used to know
who may just help and let him go.
She may have a kind heart showing;
her tone tells of a wit that’s knowing.
Marion may have fallen well here;
even though he’s trusted Fals'.
He may be hopeful and he may get pie…
if he doesn’t grab on, he’s gonna die.
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

So uh, unless they spent a really long time on a master plan, Marion's right to be suspicious. Pies don't bake that fast. Marion confirmed that was her real name, so this probably isn't the first time she's the raccons' mark. If Mrs. McGillicuddy knew Marion as a human, then that means there might be a path forward that doesn't end with the ferals, a pet or Lois.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I was half-expecting some kind of joke where Marion tries to strategize with Truck & Falstaff:

[Marion makes various hand signals trying to tell them to move and be on the lookout while they sneak up to the house.]
Falstaff: What does that even mean?
Marion: I actually don't know. I just see that stuff all the time in my videogames.
Truck: How do you play videogames if you live in a tree?
Marion: [Facepalming] You know what, nevermind. Just follow my lead.

Anyway, Rick did some real good work with the panel composition and the angles in this one. I love Marion's expression of abject terror at the end there.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

Marion is getting increasingly more adorable.
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I'm going to have some fun real quick.

Marion: Mrs. McGillicuddy, it's me, Marion from next door. You used to babysit me back when i was six.
Mrs. McGillicuddy: Marion? What are you doing out so late? Do your parents know what you've been up to?
Marion: Wait, you believe me?
Mrs. McGillicuddy: Sure, you used to make up little games like this all the time when you were young. I see know that they've come true.
Marion: Oh Thank God! You have no idea what I've been through today. You can convince my mom who I am then.
Mrs. McGillicuddy: Hmm, no I don't think so.
Marion: Wait, what?
Mrs. McGillicuddy: I think this will be a good life lesson for you. Spend some time out of the house and learn to be self reliant
Marion: You can't be serious. Look at me. I'm a squirrel!
Mrs. McGillicuddy: You make a cute squirrel. Now do you want some pie?
Marion: I don't want PIE! I want to go HOME!
Mrs. McGillicuddy: Are you sure? It's your favorite. Apple. I used to bring some over all the time. We would sit on the couch and watch that show you loved so much then you would conk out and I would have to carry you to bed. You would wear those cute little pajamas with the little animals on them.
Marion: Mrs. McGillicuddy!
Mrs. McGillicuddy: Well if that's how you feel then I'll take this and leave you be. Oh and tell those raccoons I know they've been watching me and the next pie I leave out will not be apple.

A thought occurred to me. Julia can call Mrs. McGillicuddy and ask if she's seen Marion and if Marion does manage to at least tell Mrs. McGillicuddy who he is then that would make for an awkward conversation.

Julia: Mrs. McGillicuddy, have you seen, Marion? He never came home from school and honestly I'm convinced he didn't go. His girlfriend hasn't seen him all day either. She said that the only time they talked was this morning and he tried to prank her by saying that he was turned into a squirrel of all things.
Mrs. McGillicuddy: I haven't seen him. But the strangest thing just happened now that you mention it. A squirrel came to my window and tried to tell me that she was Marion. Crazy right.
Silence
Julia: What did the squirrel look like?
Mrs. McGillicuddy: Small, gray with a different colored foot.
Julia: That same squirrel was in my house when I came home. She tried to convince me that she was Marion too before I pushed her out with my broom.
Mrs. McGillicuddy: You don't think...
Julia: No, this is just Marion trying to pull some elaborate prank. He probably bribed that squirrel to say all that. He's probably at a friends house and left his phone, wallet, car keys, and....
Mrs. McGillicuddy: That doesn't sound like Marion. He's never been the type to pull pranks or go anywhere without his phone.
Julia: But...but it's ridiculous. That's not possible. It's crazy.
Mrs. McGillicuddy: Of course it is. Although the way that squirrel spoke to me. She knew that I used to babysit him and when.
Julia: OH DEAR GOD! MARION!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

No broom?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

NHWestoN wrote:No broom?
Who keeps a broom on the windowsill?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Tom & Jerry, 'Solid Serenade'! Please, please let it be this!
Attachments
solid serenade.png
solid serenade.png (222.88 KiB) Viewed 10796 times
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

He wasn't in the house. No need to shoo him off.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Am I the only one who likes to think that Mrs. McGillicuddy puts out pies on the windowsills just so some hungry ferals can "steal" it and get some much needed warm food?

It isn't probably the case (althought I do hope so), but it would be really heartwarming.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

If Marion is lucky (I know, why start now?) Then Mcgillicuddy is an older woman who has seen everything and isn't phased by anything. She believes him because, why not? Perhaps she even feeds the local squirrels and this one is new.

Of course, there is always the soap opera direction where Marion fall put of that window, gets knocked cold, is carried to the woods by a couple of concerned raccoons and wakes up with no memory under the care of an opossum and a rabbit. Then Maripn could be in the very odd position of her friends and family trying to convince him that hes really human...
HundKatzeMaus wrote:Am I the only one who likes to think that Mrs. McGillicuddy puts out pies on the windowsills just so some hungry ferals can "steal" it and get some much needed warm food?

It isn't probably the case (althought I do hope so), but it would be really heartwarming.
Having interacted with lonely older women before, I could see that exactly. She could have conversations with the feral to fill the time. I'm not entirely convinced that she doesn't already know, or at least know of, Truck and Falstaff and just playing along with them.
Last edited by D-Rock on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: Please use the Edit button if you wish to add more to your most recent post.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Argent

Post by Argent »

Hot take: Mrs McGillicuddy is involved in turning Marion into a squirrel.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

♫I see the Pie In The Sky
Looking at me
You must taste so good♫

^Not the best parody lyrics, but close!^
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Well, there's really only one direction this story can go now.
Mrs. McGillicuddy is a god. She's more powerful than Pete, Dragon, and Kitsune combined. She used her god powers to make her pie bake abnormally fast. She did this to Marion, and will turn Falstaff and Truck into humans as punishment for stealing her pie. Following that, she will cause Peanut and Grape to body-swap, turn Mungo into a snake, and trap Tarot in the hell dimension for disrespecting gamers. She does all of this as revenge against the Miltons because steward is her son born unto a mortal, making Steward Jesus. I know all of this will happen because Falstaff and Truck were in last week's comic.
If this doesn't happen I will be very disappointed.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Pumkin6 wrote:Well, there's really only one direction this story can go now.
Mrs. McGillicuddy is a god. She's more powerful than Pete, Dragon, and Kitsune combined. She used her god powers to make her pie bake abnormally fast. She did this to Marion, and will turn Falstaff and Truck into humans as punishment for stealing her pie. Following that, she will cause Peanut and Grape to body-swap, turn Mungo into a snake, and trap Tarot in the hell dimension for disrespecting gamers. She does all of this as revenge against the Miltons because steward is her son born unto a mortal, making Steward Jesus. I know all of this will happen because Falstaff and Truck were in last week's comic.
If this doesn't happen I will be very disappointed.
Huh. That all tracks.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait... we're discussing pies and dayzee is nowhere in sight?
this just feels wierd...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:wait... we're discussing pies and dayzee is nowhere in sight?
this just feels wierd...
Shh! Dayzee's sneaking up on the pie!
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:Of course, there is always the soap opera direction where Marion fall out of that window, gets knocked cold, is carried to the woods by a couple of concerned raccoons and wakes up with no memory under the care of an opossum and a rabbit. Then Marion could be in the very odd position of her friends and family trying to convince him that he's really human...
I feel like that would be beyond the pale. Marion seems to have had a good thing going for the last few strips. Been on the ball, not having an existential crisis and thinking about near-term goals (food & shelter) rather than getting mopey about his condition. He's got real wits about him and would make an excellent addition to the recurring cast as is, and I'd love to see how he interacts with everyone else as he is right now. If that all gets taken away with some amnesia and he winds up believing that he's been a female squirrel his whole life, likely staying that way for a good while... I'd like to think that such a manner of complete identity erasure would be far too grim and depressing an angle to go for in a comic like Housepets, especially for an innocent character like Marion. But at the same time, him having the body of a female squirrel is the kind of twist that one would use to make your typical amnesia arc more interesting. Him hitting his head and getting amnesia is something that could very well happen.

But then again, how far up is that windowsill? He could just be where your average human would be at waist or eye level. Much shorter than the distance he fell from the tree when the other squirrel smacked him with an acorn. Unless Mrs. McGillicuddy lives in one of those crazy houses where the kitchen is on the second floor, Marion would be fine with a fall from that height. :lol:

Mrs. McGillicuddy's name is also tagged, which could hold some significance, probably to a missing persons' hunt. Lois could come visit her asking questions, and Mrs. M could drop a hint of some sort that Marion is the squirrel (without her knowing that he is in fact said squirrel).

Lois: Have you seen Marion around? He told me some funny stories from when you used to babysit him all the time, and I thought maybe he did something crazy and ran away over here because the pressure from finals got to him.
Mrs. M: Marion's missing? Oh goodness. No, sadly I haven't seen him. I hope he's safe.
Lois: Dangit. Sorry for bothering you.
Mrs. M: Oh, please don't leave just yet! You look like you've been walking around the neighborhood all day. Would you like to come in and relax? I made some pie! And I could tell you even more stories about Marion!
Lois: Free pie and stories that I can use to joke around with him in the future? Deal!

And the strip after that:
[Scene moves to inside Mrs. M's kitchen, both of them sitting at the breakfast table. They're having coffee and pie.]
Mrs. M: So yes, Marion was quite the handful. I have no idea how he even managed to get on top of the bookshelf in the first place! He was quite the climber!
Lois: Haha, yeah, that does sound like Marion. Could I have some more pie, ma'am?
Mrs. M: Of course, dear! I get carried away and make too much sometimes. But it never goes to waste, you see. Every so often I play along with these two mischief-making raccoons. Let them think they're getting away with a grand heist and all that. Although last night they had a little helper with them that I've never seen before.
Lois: Huh. Who was it? [Lois goes for a sip of her coffee.]
Mrs. M: It was a squirrel of some sort. Grey fur unlike the the usual ones we see around here. She was quite polite and nice to me for someone who was with those two trouble-makers.
Lois: [Pauses mid-sip of her coffee, remembering the only female grey squirrel she's seen recently. She has her "L & M" bracelet on the wrist of her hand that's holding the mug.] Hmm?
Mrs. M: [She notices Lois' bracelet and points to it.] And this is such a weird coincidence, my dear, but the darndest thing was that she was wearing a necklace that looked just like that!
Lois: [Does a spit take and sprays Mrs. M with coffee]
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote: Mrs. M: [She notices Lois' bracelet and points to it.] And this is such a weird coincidence, my dear, but the darndest thing was that she was wearing a necklace that looked just like that!
Lois: [Does a spit take and sprays Mrs. M with coffee]
Lois: fumbles with phone and shakily holds up the picture from her text exchange Was this her?
Mrs. M: wiping coffee off her face with her apron Why yes. Why do you have a picture of her?

Depending on how the next few strips go, I could see scenes like this play out off panel all over the place.

I'll admit that the amnesia angle I suggested doesn't make a lot of sense at this point unless Rick is going to make the reason for the transformation unknown, or perhaps get Marion clued into the reason without realizing he's being clued in. Like being taken to Jessica's house and finding out about all the various shenanigans around Babylon Gardens (Conversations between Craig and Draig, Steward muttering to himself about getting even, and Karishad being... Karishad) before he comes out of that state and puts it all together.

That seems like a really far reach to me, and probably hard to pull off in comic form unless we're staying with this arc until next year.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Are we gonna talk about the alt text and how that was a thing I did until people told me they didn't like it? :/
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Are we gonna talk about the alt text and how that was a thing I did until people told me they didn't like it? :/
No, but we did mention how you were probably after pie.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I may be insane, but I'm not a psychopath. I was gonna shove it in the fridge for a hour or two. I go for humiliation, not maiming someone by burning their face off. c:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Idea: Mrs. McGillicuddy has a pet that pops up and recognizes Marion. That pet ends up rescuing him from the feral cult and becomes Marion’s pet partner.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I may be insane, but I'm not a psychopath. I was gonna shove it in the fridge for a hour or two. I go for humiliation, not maiming someone by burning their face off. c:
Just to cover all bases, don't freeze the pie, either. Your targets nose will thank you.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

dr_eirik wrote:That seems like a really far reach to me, and probably hard to pull off in comic form unless we're staying with this arc until next year.
having a new main arc that the other stories revolve around wouldn't be a bad thing. since the end of the game that element of the story has felt kinda lacking anyway. sure we still had the 'A' plot with peanut and grape, and all the side stories, but there was no B plot to tie the bulk of said side stories together anymore, and the ones that referenced back to it, or tried to tie up things it left behind often felt... off i guess.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ah, great, you followed my advice taking Marion with you to steal food from people's houses. :P Squirrels are great climbers, indeed. ;) You could even steal an entire fresh cake? Cool. :D Yeah, it's not nice to steal stuff from a woman you know, but being now a squirrel doesn't help. :| I agree with your question, Marion. There are a lot of better ways to cool down a cake... :P
shadowlucario50

Pie on the Sill

Post by shadowlucario50 »

Wow, so her name really was Mrs. McGillicuddy. Okay.
dr_eirik wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:Am I the only one who likes to think that Mrs. McGillicuddy puts out pies on the windowsills just so some hungry ferals can "steal" it and get some much needed warm food?

Having interacted with lonely older women before, I could see that exactly. She could have conversations with the feral to fill the time. I'm not entirely convinced that she doesn't already know, or at least know of, Truck and Falstaff and just playing along with them.
Most of this has already shared my thoughts when I first read the comic, but the fact that Truck and Falstaff do know her name means they've at least interacted with or heard her name spoken. I wonder if she's the one that actually has been caring for Truck and Falstaff when they were young?

... Suddenly, I want a backstory for that if that's true.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wasn't gonna freeze it. I said put it in the REFRIGERATOR. :P
zoogi1

Post by zoogi1 »

The last panel looks awfully like Mrs. McGillicudy shut the window on top of Marion's arm.

Then I noticed there's no window pane

Now I'm not sure why Marion screamed so loud
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

zoogi1 wrote:The last panel looks awfully like Mrs. McGillicudy shut the window on top of Marion's arm.

He was just startled. He didn't expect to see her, or didn't see her until she spoke. And it looks like he's about to fall out of the window in the last panel.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Who keeps a broom on the windowsill?
Nobody I know, Welsh. Folks do often keep a broom near a window if it's not screened and stuff might blow in.
Nothing sharpens a pie's flavor like a few dried maple leaves, eh? ;)
zoogi1 wrote:The last panel looks awfully like Mrs. McGillicudy shut the window on top of Marion's arm.

The pie is not dessert ………. it's ……. BAIT!!! Run, Marion (and don't step in the pie!!)!
Last edited by D-Rock on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: Please use the Edit button on the top right corner of your post if you wish to immediately add more.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
The pie is not dessert ………. it's ……. BAIT!!! Run, Marion (and don't step in the pie!!)!
He suddenly realized that this was one of Mrs. McGillicudy squirrel meat pies.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Looking into my crystal ball, I am curious about how this is going to play out. I know Mrs. McGillicuddy isn't going to be some magical hero and save Marion from his fated meeting with Steward but I wonder how worldly she is. I joke but could she believe him or even play a role in someone eventually finding out who and what he really is? I feel like someone should believe him that's not "in the know." How hard would it be to believe that a squirrel wearing a necklace like that is telling the truth? Even if she did believe him I'm sure there would be nothing she could do immediately. But maybe if Julia or Lois shows up, she could explain what she saw and continue the human storyline that I'm am sure is slowly unfolding off screen.
I do see Truck and Falstaff taking him off into the trees whether or not he gets that pie. Now that Mrs. McGillicuddy is there in the window, any attempt at actually getting away with the pie are out. SO that means that the next few strips will essentially be the aftermath of this Mission Impossible: Pie Protocol, followed by Truck and Fals looking defeated while Marion contemplates his next move, followed by what I am going to assume will be Truck and Fals telling him that he is welcome to come home with them to Jess's place where...sigh...Steward will be waiting. Probably in a swivel chair. Marion walks in and Steward turns around and says "I've expecting you, Marion."
dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
He suddenly realized that this was one of Mrs. McGillicudy squirrel meat pies.
That is the worse case scenario but at the same time it is suspicious that she would leave a pie out on the windowsill in the middle of the night and not only that be hovering near by in case someone or something happen to come across it. I wish we could see her face. Just because she bakes pies and places them in her window doesn't make her the Widow Tweed (Fox and the Hound reference).

You would expect that people would pay more attention to the fact that a random squirrel is wearing a necklace like that. So far we haven't seen ferals walking around with jewelry or human accessories except Miles's glasses but that was only so he can read. All the other occasions were so they could "pass" as pets but that's still different. Mrs. McGillicuddy doesn't even need to recognize the bracelet as Marion's to realize that A. it's odd and B. it might play towards the fact that this squirrel is claiming to to have known her.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Deadeye was using a bandana when they were still in a forest, and Pueblo swiped a foam finger and hat. People will probably just thing it was scavenged/stolen.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought that it was Gale that swiped it. Of course, her comment to Miles could mean it was either of them.