2019/07/01 - Room Service

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
CyberDragon

Re: 2019/07/01 - Room Service

Post by CyberDragon »

Argent wrote:The family names "ward" and "steward" are derived from words that both derive from a word meaning "guard", but by the time they were professions they were already separate words: Steward was the head of staff of a castle, and the proxy for the castle's owner when absent, and Ward was a city or gate guard.
I'm thinking of meta clues. "Why is this detail left in?" And "Why would rick make that choice?" The connections I'm drawing are what I feel makes sense from an author's perspective, not necessarily an in-universe one. From the meta perspective, making their last names close to each other even if the names are different in meaning seemed to be there to draw a connection between the two.

But hey, that's JUST A THEORY! A COMIC THEORY! Thanks for reading! :P
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Let me throw my observations in and why I think most of these theories are kind of bogus (This took a lot of work):

1. Steward's full name is Herman Steward and Marion's is Marion Ward. No connection other then both of them having 'ward' and there wasn't any hints/clues that Marion's mother was married to Herman nor had a divorce.

2. We only know of the one coin and it's in Herman Steward's clutches and we know what it can do, which is turn people in animals. But there lies a bigger piece of the puzzle: Both Thomas (Camel) and Herman were changed INSTANTLY the second they touched the coin. Marion's happened over night, presumably. How would he have come in contact with the coin? Remember, both Herman and Thomas changed instantly after they came in physical contact with the coin so, unless it was planted in his hands as he slept by someone (which I highly doubt as there would've been some sort of evidence left behind like distressed curtains), Marion's transformation wasn't by the coin. This also cancels out the theory of him being this arcs antagonist as, if Marion's transformation wasn't by the coin, then he's in his room to ask him if he knows how he changed into a squirrel then would tell him how he was changed from a human into a Badger then would help him adjust to being an animal whilst helping him find a way to change back to a human.

3. What about Great Kitsune and the theory of a New Game? This could be a factual theory, except for one thing: Who else in Heaven plays Universes & Unrealities? We know of GK, Pete, and Dragon but that was it as it seemed no one else played it other then the Cosmic Nerds and the only other Celestials Rick introduced were Bahumat and Cerberus. At the same time, from the ending of the first game to now, there didn't seem to be any indication that Kitsune started a new game as he was more focused on Kix and her "kits". So this theory is pbbbt.

So with those three out, here's what I think: Recall way back when the storyline started, Marion brought out the book The Metamorphosis by Kafka as they were studying it. In the book, the MC (Main character) is turned into a huge insect for unknown reasons and, overtime, becomes used to it (Granted he does die at the end but I doubt Rick would do that). What if...this whole arc is just a parody of The Metamorphosis and it ends with Marion turning back into a human for unknown reasons? Why else would Rick make a reference to that book, aside from a throw-away joke?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:We only know of the one coin and it's in Herman Steward's clutches and we know what it can do, which is turn people in animals. But there lies a bigger piece of the puzzle: Both Thomas (Camel) and Herman were changed INSTANTLY the second they touched the coin. Marion's happened over night, presumably. How would he have come in contact with the coin? Remember, both Herman and Thomas changed instantly after they came in physical contact with the coin so, unless it was planted in his hands as he slept by someone (which I highly doubt as there would've been some sort of evidence left behind like distressed curtains), Marion's transformation wasn't by the coin. This also cancels out the theory of him being this arcs antagonist as, if Marion's transformation wasn't by the coin, then he's in his room to ask him if he knows how he changed into a squirrel then would tell him how he was changed from a human into a Badger then would help him adjust to being an animal whilst helping him find a way to change back to a human.
Steward not being responsible for the transformation doesn't rule him out as a villain or the antagonist. There can easily be someone else waiting in the wings who was responsible and Steward is simply taking advantage of the situation to do as you said, find a way to change back to human by using Marion for that goal. We still don't know Steward's goal(s) and if I learned anything from Disney cartoons it is how to manipulate people for my own gain (in stories anyway) and Steward could be doing the same here. I would not be surprised if he used Marion for *insert goal here* then dumped him on his tail.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Steward not being responsible for the transformation doesn't rule him out as a villain or the antagonist. There can easily be someone else waiting in the wings who was responsible and Steward is simply taking advantage of the situation to do as you said, find a way to change back to human by using Marion for that goal. We still don't know Steward's goal(s) and if I learned anything from Disney cartoons it is how to manipulate people for my own gain (in stories anyway) and Steward could be doing the same here. I would not be surprised if he used Marion for *insert goal here* then dumped him on his tail.
I'm leaning toward the thinking that Steward started out as a a comic foil, slowly progressed to a "bad guy" with primarily selfish motives and is going to move into being a full blown "Villain" with darker goals by the time we're done with this story. Granted, I suspect with each upcoming page we're going to shed and/or add more theories until the universe collapses under their weight.

None of that means that Steward knows anything about what has happened up to this point. It's very easy to imagine that the first time he's heard about any of this was overhearing Marion and Jessica talking. There were just enough keywords dropped to pique his interest.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And with his interest now stirred, he is going to attempt to interrogate Marion about how he ended up in this predicament.

In 120 words or less. XD
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:I'm leaning toward the thinking that Steward started out as a a comic foil, slowly progressed to a "bad guy" with primarily selfish motives and is going to move into being a full blown "Villain" with darker goals by the time we're done with this story. Granted, I suspect with each upcoming page we're going to shed and/or add more theories until the universe collapses under their weight.

None of that means that Steward knows anything about what has happened up to this point. It's very easy to imagine that the first time he's heard about any of this was overhearing Marion and Jessica talking. There were just enough keywords dropped to pique his interest.
I need to get more organized with my thoughts and posts. Since the theories keep adapting and changing as new strips are added. I need a system as well as start taking this more seriously.

Let's start with this template and go from there.

Is Steward the Villain: Yes

Steward's Goal: Revenge

Did He Change Marion: No

Does He Know Marion’s True Identity: Maybe.

Who Changed Marion: Dino-Demon or another new supernatural character that has not been introduced.

Theories
Steward is going to question Marion and bring up the subject of the coin but the coin was not responsible and Steward never intended to use it on anyone yet. Once Steward discovers Marion was changed and wants to use Marion for his own devious purposes.
Steward wants to learn more about Marion and his arrival but does not suspect that Marion was formerly human like him but still plans to use Marion for some type of goal.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank

Re: Mint on a Pillow, Hate Leaves the Window

Post by Frank »

dr_eirik wrote:I'm leaning toward the thinking that Steward started out as a a comic foil, slowly progressed to a "bad guy" with primarily selfish motives and is going to move into being a full blown "Villain" with darker goals by the time we're done with this story.
Since Steward's first appearance, he's looked kind of bitter about being appointed steward, and I think I said back then that this bitterness would come back to bite us (can't actually prove it since the comments are gone, but you know). He just happened to be so competent at his job, it took really, really long
shadowlucario50 wrote:Everyone's focused on Steward's appearance on the last panel, but here I am, thinking...

It's adorable how Truck put a "mint" on Marion's pillow. Talk about good room service!~
I'm thinking "Wait Karishad actually wants to eat Marion?"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I'm going to go for subversion and say Stewart will be friendly and helpful, perhaps serving as a mentor. Maybe we can all have a laugh if it's wrong.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Llor Drei wrote:Since his inception, Karishad has had glowing green eyes, the same as Tarot's whenever Dragon possessed her.
The color the eyes change to is relevant. Green means Spirit Dragon's influence, yellow means Pete's influence. I suppose we don't have any instances confirmed to be Great Kitsune affecting a mortal to disprove that his personal color is not also green like Dragon, but the pattern would follow it would be the same as his eye color, ie red.
Llor Drei wrote:Also, in the temple, he not only became furious at the tagging on the walls, but also explained all the mystical rituals that would be needed to clean them, something Kitsune would know, not Karishad, about the mystical temple that was a part of the game that he was running for Pete and the Dragon.
That entire sequence was a reference to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I wouldn't be surprised if he was making up the specifics as he went. That being said, Karishad hung out with Tarot regularly and for a period lived in Pete's temple so he could've picked up on magic(k)al know how without Great Kitsune.
Llor Drei wrote:So, when you see Karishad with normal eyes, you know he must not be being possesed at the moment,
Karishad, like all other characters, don't have their eye color visible because of a style change. I guess it's possible his eyes changed to their real color at the same time as the style change, but you can't prove it and it would be quite the coincidence.
Llor Drei wrote:and as he's Kitsune's normal avatar, Kitsune must be doing something important to not be using him, as he has since the beginning... Hence, a new game.
The point of having avatars was always because of artificial limitations on a demigod's power designed to make U&U more fun. Assuming you're right that Karishad was GK's avatar but is no longer, that would lead to the opposite conclusion to what you put forth; Great Kitsune was a player in a U&U game, but now isn't.
Llor Drei wrote:And I believe one of the players would almost have to be the Norse squirrel messenger God, Ratatoskr,
...I don't have anything to refute that.
Llor Drei wrote:who chose Marion as a game piece, but didn't read the character sheet closely enough... ergo, Marion must be a female squirrel.
Even if that was the case, they would just chose an existing female squirrel. The whole reason Pete transformed Joel is because humans' base stats synergize better with the Dark Paladin class than a dog or cat's (the species limitations were specific to the duel and not U&U at large), a class he was relegated to because Spirit Dragon's counter plays meant Pete needed his piece to be powerful the moment it was officially his avatar. Additionally, In D&D a majority of the time the person who writes the information on a character sheet is the person who is playing the character (there are pre-built characters for beginners, but most people skip that). It's a lot harder to not read something closely enough if you were the one who wrote it.
CyberDragon wrote:
Argent wrote:The family names "ward" and "steward" are derived from words that both derive from a word meaning "guard", but by the time they were professions they were already separate words: Steward was the head of staff of a castle, and the proxy for the castle's owner when absent, and Ward was a city or gate guard.
I'm thinking of meta clues. "Why is this detail left in?" And "Why would rick make that choice?" The connections I'm drawing are what I feel makes sense from an author's perspective, not necessarily an in-universe one. From the meta perspective, making their last names close to each other even if the names are different in meaning seemed to be there to draw a connection between the two.

But hey, that's JUST A THEORY! A COMIC THEORY! Thanks for reading! :P
I would like to mention even if Rick Griffin planed for no significance with her name, he would still have to put down a name for the answering machine joke.
SeanWolf wrote:1. Steward's full name is Herman Steward and Marion's is Marion Ward. No connection other then both of them having 'ward' and there wasn't any hints/clues that Marion's mother was married to Herman nor had a divorce.
Marion's mother's last name is Ward. Marion might have his father's name instead,
SeanWolf wrote:2. We only know of the one coin and it's in Herman Steward's clutches and we know what it can do, which is turn people in animals. But there lies a bigger piece of the puzzle: Both Thomas (Camel) and Herman were changed INSTANTLY the second they touched the coin.
The transformation is instant, noticing it isn't.
SeanWolf wrote:3. What about Great Kitsune and the theory of a New Game? This could be a factual theory, except for one thing: Who else in Heaven plays Universes & Unrealities? We know of GK, Pete, and Dragon but that was it as it seemed no one else played it other then the Cosmic Nerds and the only other Celestials Rick introduced were Bahumat and Cerberus.
The original game that spawned the duel had four members in addition to Pete, so that's still two unaccounted for.
Frank wrote:Since Steward's first appearance, he's looked kind of bitter about being appointed steward, and I think I said back then that this bitterness would come back to bite us (can't actually prove it since the comments are gone, but you know)
Go nuts searching.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160615033 ... ompetition
Edit: It's possible I missed what you were talking about, but this was the best I could find (even including comments that for normal means are "gone").
Frank wrote:
Gregourii wrote:Should have turned Steward into a snake or a rat, since he is basically one as a person.
Aw give the guy a break! If you were forced into a job just so your name could constantly be made fun of, you'd be bitter too.
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
D-Rock

Re: Mint on a Pillow, Hate Leaves the Window

Post by D-Rock »

Frank wrote:
shadowlucario50 wrote:Everyone's focused on Steward's appearance on the last panel, but here I am, thinking...

It's adorable how Truck put a "mint" on Marion's pillow. Talk about good room service!~
I'm thinking "Wait Karishad actually wants to eat Marion?"
Karishad is a fox, Marion is currently a rodent, figured that'd be easy to see.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote:I'm going to go for subversion and say Stewart will be friendly and helpful, perhaps serving as a mentor. Maybe we can all have a laugh if it's wrong.
Okay, Ed, points for the most RADICAL prognostication offered to date!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It would be a turn for the books if that was to happen but somehow I doubt that it will end up happening.
Argent

Post by Argent »

SeanWolf wrote:But there lies a bigger piece of the puzzle: Both Thomas (Camel) and Herman were changed INSTANTLY the second they touched the coin.
Thomas had enough time to fill a bag with the coins and toss it out the door. I think the coin's effect follows the Rule of Funny.

Also, he was wearing gloves.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I guess you can say it depends on the coin that you grabbed.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

it could be argued that the gloves are the cause for the delay...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah I guess that could work. Would it make sense though I don't know but we probably are better off going with that. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, Sophie got something out of it - heartbreak - poor dear.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But we don't know actually if she got het heart broken. She might not have her feelings reciprocated by Thomas but they STILL could end up beong together in the zoo that Thomas was shipped off to. ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:But we don't know actually if she got het heart broken. She might not have her feelings reciprocated by Thomas but they STILL could end up beong together in the zoo that Thomas was shipped off to. ;)
Something strange about that. Why would Thomas be the one shipped somewhere but Sophia was still around for Keene’s speech? I wonder if the Milton’s took pity on Thomas and kept him around.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't doubt that if they did plus it would be a much worse punishment than a zoo or prison for him. At this point they must not know that Steward was his accomplice then.
Argent

Post by Argent »

I suspect Thomas simply chose not to go to hear Keene's speech because he's still bitter about the whole ferrets inheriting everything schtick.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yet his relative Celia seemed to get over everything pretty fast. Or maybe she just wanted to get some sort of revenge on Thomas for something and didn't want the money in the end. ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Celia was there? Where?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Not there there but back when she was still in the comic.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Before she escaped and let Thomas take the fall for everything, Celia and Thomas teamed up to try to steal the Milton fortune. They failed spectacularly but I always found it strange how Celia was behind the scenes and let Thomas do all the dirty work.

That made me think that maybe Celia wasn't in it for the money but wanted to get back at Thomas for something that happened. Either that or Celia did want the money but found getting revenge on Thomas for whatever he did to her was too good to pass up and wanted that more than the money.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking everything. :|
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Or maybe she wanted to get in on the money without taking any risk, and when Thomas got caught, she just left him out to dry :twisted:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Obbl wrote:Or maybe she wanted to get in on the money without taking any risk, and when Thomas got caught, she just left him out to dry :twisted:
That’s kind of my suspicion, I don’t think we’ve heard the last of Celia.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You just know that after all of these years, that Celia will eventually end up getting her comeuppance somehow.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

One can certainly hope.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It has been far too long and she deserves to get something since Thomas has been punished multiple times.