2019/07/19 - The Descent

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/07/19 - The Descent

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/07/19 - The Descent]
Title Text: still got that snuggie

Considering his current circumstances, Marion has no trouble believing the existence of the grue.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2019/07/19 - The Descent

Post by Gbr23 »

Nice couple of throwbacks with the robe and the Grue...

The Grue isn’t actually there... right?
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That reminds me I really should beat those games one of these days.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

You are likely to be eaten by a Grue... oh boy, I'm getting serious Temple Crashers vibes here... nuts.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

To a small degree, this might be the most predictable page of all. If nothing else, Kari is predictable in his own off beat brand of insanity.

It does sound like this is a tunnel and not a body hole. So where does it come out? A really random guess that makes sense given its Karishad: Tarots' yard.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well now that’s just rude. Brian only does what he does to take care of his little sister Aisha, and trust me, that’s not easy.

If any of you actually get that reference, I will be amazed.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

One more terror for the night
beholds our favourite Marion.
He’s locked in tight, dependant on
one who’d turn him into carrion.
The edible little hero now flees
from those who’d bring his salvation;
allying himself with the one
who’s clearly chaos’s creation.
So run, our hero, run away,
in the darkness find your path.
And, if you fall and fade away?
Well, really, you have to laugh...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I just saw the character tags. Nice to put the Grue there. :D
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

This scene really puts into perspective how much trouble Marion is in and how unfortunate being a squirrel really is. I mean that he is so small that he barely twice the size of those stairs, my heart breaks for him.

Zork. Old. Hmmmm...

The Underworld. Let's see we saw the real underworld so this should be interesting. But I have a question. How is there a grue there when the temple was destroyed. Because, again it's worth repeating, that everything in the temple was magic and therefore existed in a space within the temple. So that would mean either Kari is toying with Marion (again) or the grue escaped like the gargoyles.

Thank the gods Kari is there so he can run the grue off again

Marion's face in the final panel is literally something I would expect from a horror movie poster. You can use that entire panel, slap a title on it, and advertise at theaters. Coming this Halloween. "My Life As a Teenage Squirrel" the Movie.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Okay, so the chance of this being an escape tunnel is (in my opinion) pretty high now. Leading to where, who knows? Especially given that it we know which eccentric fox created it. For all we know this ominous path could just lead to a secret ultra-relaxing lounge space or something else like that, and Karishad has the robe and set up the path to be spooky because he’s Karishad.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

This makes no sense. Why is Marion running from the police he originally sought help from? Did he REALLY think that the old lady called the police for a pie she effectively gave away?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I do hope we are going to shift back to the above ground and check in on Fox and Fido now that Marion has successfully ruined his best chance at finding real help for the time being. Now that he's gone, Jess can lift the Purge security system and let them in. I need to know if Lois is there with them.

https://youtu.be/8al0RzkDqgM This will help anyone who doesn't know what Zork is.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

fenrirblack wrote:I do hope we are going to shift back to the above ground and check in on Fox and Fido now that Marion has successfully ruined his best chance at finding real help for the time being.
Well said.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Lucky squirrel, Dante had to settle for Virgil to guide him through the Underworld. Wonder if he'll run into Eudoant?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Ryusuta wrote:This makes no sense. Why is Marion running from the police he originally sought help from? Did he REALLY think that the old lady called the police for a pie she effectively gave away?
I believe he thinks the police are looking for him because he "broke into" his own house ;)
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I just love Marion's face in panel 4. :lol:
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Oh no, Karishad's moved the Temple remains to the basement!

That's the reason why he's wearing robes! And Why the Grue is there!

The Mana-Well, or whatever is left of it, is under Jessica's house, and likely, with several artifacts as well! It never could have so easily been Destroyed by simply Crumbling!
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Obbl wrote:
Ryusuta wrote:This makes no sense. Why is Marion running from the police he originally sought help from? Did he REALLY think that the old lady called the police for a pie she effectively gave away?
I believe he thinks the police are looking for him because he "broke into" his own house ;)
The only person that could have called the police over that is the old lady herself, and there's no reason at all for Marion to think she'd do that.
restcure

Post by restcure »

Gbr23 wrote:Nice couple of throwbacks with the robe and the Grue...

I wouldn't mind that. I mean, at first, it was kinda scary, but it kinda grue on me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Ryusuta wrote:
Obbl wrote:
The only person that could have called the police over that is the old lady herself, and there's no reason at all for Marion to think she'd do that.
Not Mrs MacGillycuddy. HIS OWN house.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Legotron123 wrote:If any of you actually get that reference, I will be amazed.
Really it's Rachel you have to worry about in the HP! universe.
John-056 wrote:Oh no, Karishad's moved the Temple remains to the basement!
Or vice versa.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Well at least me know Marion has some great tastes in games! But at least he can look on the bright side: At least there isn't anyone from Amnesia (I hope...)!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Wouldn't be surprised if Kari's made the most dizzying temple yet down there. A tunnel? I don't think he'd make something so simple :?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Kari's made the most dizzying temple yet down there. A tunnel? I don't think he'd make something so simple :?
It's probably a Labyrinth, complete with a expy of David Bowie.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

SeanWolf wrote:It's probably a Labyrinth, complete with a expy of David Bowie.
Pete just wishes he was as cool as the Goblin King.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

dr_eirik wrote:To a small degree, this might be the most predictable page of all. If nothing else, Kari is predictable in his own off beat brand of insanity.

It does sound like this is a tunnel and not a body hole. So where does it come out? A really random guess that makes sense given its Karishad: Tarots' yard.
Tarot’s yard does kind of make sense, and she and Sabrina would not only be acquainted with people being transformed into animals, but Sabrina might be able to call Fido and Fox, and get them to bring Lois to meet with our squirrel.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

restcure wrote:

I wouldn't mind that. I mean, at first, it was kinda scary, but it kinda grue on me.

MAJOR PUN !!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote:
Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Kari's made the most dizzying temple yet down there. A tunnel? I don't think he'd make something so simple :?
It's probably a Labyrinth, complete with a expy of David Bowie.

… and a side room opening to the basement of the limerick-spouting Hermit! Poor Marion.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Argent wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:If any of you actually get that reference, I will be amazed.
Really it's Rachel you have to worry about in the HP! universe.
Now I wanna read a story where a post-GM Rachel winds up in the Housepets universe. She’d certainly have some interesting advice for this situation.
”You just gotta do what I did whenever the police came after me; brutally maul and maim them until everyone knows to leave you alone.”
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Not Mrs MacGillycuddy. HIS OWN house.
I still think that is a really big stretch.
Jacy

Post by Jacy »

I so want to go down there. I'd trust Kari fully any day.
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

At this point I'm assuming that Kari is a relative of Kitsume, while Marion continues his trend of making me want to pull my hair out since every thing he does ends up making his problem worse.
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Jacy wrote:I so want to go down there. I'd trust Kari fully any day.
I'v often mentioned that Kari is the ultimate wild card. Even Pete couldn't figure him out. But I also think that he's ultimately the most trustworthy of the characters. If you are fundamentally good, no (permanent) harm will come to you in his presence. Even if there was a grue, or snake or something equally deadly to Marion in those tunnels, nothing will happen to him. It's not that Kari would throw himself in the way of danger, but more that Dig Dug will suddenly pop into the tunnel and inflate the evil-doer to bursting or something.

I know I'm guessing as much as anything, but I strongly suspect (or maybe that's hope I feel) that the end of the tunnel is going to be answers in some form. I suppose that it could simply end in a random forest clearing, but that's not Karishads style. Could be at the remains of the temple, the Milton mansion, the local Funko Pop store, or anything.

So, my speculation on what might happen....

<Karishad leads Marion down the tunnel for some time>
Marion: Where are we going, anyway? Deeper into the woods?
Kari: <typing away on his phone non-stop> No... yes... no, maybe. We need to find a place to stash you until the heat wears off. Or at least until the oven is preheated.
Marion: Look, I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I don't want to get too far from the neighborhood.
<They reach an ornate wooden door, which Karishad opens to reveal Lois, Fox and Fido standing on the porch of a home in Babylon Gardens. They turn and look startled>
Fox: What are you doing here?
Karishad: I asked you first.
Fox: No you... look, we came looking for answers. We think... is that the squirrel we're looking for?
<Tarot opens the door, looks at all of them, eyes settle on Marion, hiding behind Karishad>
Tarot: Everyone inside. <She uses her grabber to close Fidos muzzle before he can talk> Hold all your questions for the end, Detective Friday. This is not really a police matter...
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:I know I'm guessing as much as anything, but I strongly suspect (or maybe that's hope I feel) that the end of the tunnel is going to be answers in some form. I suppose that it could simply end in a random forest clearing, but that's not Karishads style. Could be at the remains of the temple, the Milton mansion, the local Funko Pop store, or anything.

Kari: <typing away on his phone non-stop> No... yes... no, maybe. We need to find a place to stash you until the heat wears off. Or at least until the oven is preheated.
Marion: Look, I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I don't want to get too far from the neighborhood.
<They reach an ornate wooden door, which Karishad opens to reveal Lois, Fox and Fido standing on the porch of a home in Babylon Gardens. They turn and look startled>
Fox: No you... look, we came looking for answers. We think... is that the squirrel we're looking for?
<Tarot opens the door, looks at all of them, eyes settle on Marion, hiding behind Karishad>
Tarot: Everyone inside. <She uses her grabber to close Fidos muzzle before he can talk> Hold all your questions for the end, Detective Friday. This is not really a police matter...
I love it.

[Marion looks quizzically back at the doorway, which is somehow gone, and then at Kari, then Tarot and the K-9's. Tarot notices that the squirrel is beyond confused at this point and decides to reassure him.]
Tarot: Oh, don't worry; once we get settled inside, you can ask as many questions as you need.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

And Marion goes down it. It's a bit creepy with so little light. :P And there's Karishad. :D We know he sleeps and has his stiff there, and I hope he's happy of living in that way. ;) Oh, come on, now stop to scare Marion, ok? :P I just heard of this Zork game, but in these cases, it's better don't talk about things a fox can't know. ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
I'v often mentioned that Kari is the ultimate wild card. Even Pete couldn't figure him out. But I also think that he's ultimately the most trustworthy of the characters. If you are fundamentally good, no (permanent) harm will come to you in his presence. Even if there was a grue, or snake or something equally deadly to Marion in those tunnels, nothing will happen to him. It's not that Kari would throw himself in the way of danger, but more that Dig Dug will suddenly pop into the tunnel and inflate the evil-doer to bursting or something.

I know I'm guessing as much as anything, but I strongly suspect (or maybe that's hope I feel) that the end of the tunnel is going to be answers in some form. I suppose that it could simply end in a random forest clearing, but that's not Karishads style. Could be at the remains of the temple, the Milton mansion, the local Funko Pop store, or anything.
I was thinking about that last night and came up with a few possibilities based on Kari's history:
1: Tarot's house. This seems like the most obvious option because of their history and the fact that we need Tarot's help. The problem is it would make more sense for Fox to take Marion there, not Kari unless Fox, Fido, and Lois would go there separately and they all meet there not unlike that little scenario.
2: Milton Manor. Obvious reasons. Kari used to work there and the ECP is still Marion's best chance at normalcy but with Keene moved out, it wouldn't be the same.
3: Keene's House. Because Keene isn't at the Manor and it would totally be something Kari would do.
4: The Wolf House. This is because of several reasons. King is there so bring him into the plot for kicks and giggles. There is still a possibility that Miles was Marion's teacher so he might know him and with his experience with King believe Marion if he told Miles the truth. Third the Wolf house is actually one of the very few places we know has a basement so if there was going to be an underground tunnel leading somewhere then it would make sense for it to lead to someone's basement. Plus it would be up Kari's alley to lead Marion to a pack of wolves because it's Kari.
5: Somewhere in the middle of the woods. At this point why not? Plus I still believe that there is a chance that Fox and Fido might be able to catch up to them if they leave Jess's house and move quickly.
6: A different comic. Sure why not? It is Kari we're talking about.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Isn't "zork" one of those things that Pinky says?
D-Rock wrote:Considering his current circumstances, Marion has no trouble believing the existence of the grue.

Don't worry, there is a 50% chance Karishad is bluffing.

Solid 50%!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Silly Zealot wrote:Isn't "zork" one of those things that Pinky says?
D-Rock wrote:Considering his current circumstances, Marion has no trouble believing the existence of the grue.

Don't worry, there is a 50% chance Karishad is bluffing.

Solid 50%!
Aahhhhhhhhhh, but which half??
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: I was thinking about that last night and came up with a few possibilities based on Kari's history:
1: Tarot's house. This seems like the most obvious option because of their history and the fact that we need Tarot's help. The problem is it would make more sense for Fox to take Marion there, not Kari unless Fox, Fido, and Lois would go there separately and they all meet there not unlike that little scenario.
Obviously I like this one, and it is a pretty likely outcome... which is the only reason I wouldn't expect it. So far, Rick has played with our expectations pretty much at every turn.

2: Milton Manor. Obvious reasons. Kari used to work there and the ECP is still Marion's best chance at normalcy but with Keene moved out, it wouldn't be the same.
3: Keene's House. Because Keene isn't at the Manor and it would totally be something Kari would do.
Taking these together, since they likely lead to the same result, they are both pretty good options. I could see Karishad coming up through the closet and just about sending Keene and Breel back to Heaven.
4: The Wolf House. This is because of several reasons. King is there so bring him into the plot for kicks and giggles. There is still a possibility that Miles was Marion's teacher so he might know him and with his experience with King believe Marion if he told Miles the truth. Third the Wolf house is actually one of the very few places we know so if there was going to be an underground tunnel leading somewhere then it would make sense for it to lead to someone's basement. Plus it would be up Kari's alley to lead Marion to a pack of wolves because it's Kari.
I admit that I really like this one, if only for that moment when Marion realizes hes surrounded by wolves and at the moment he looks like a midnight snack. I could also see Miles doing a double take before he's told anything, taking a deeper sniff, "Marion Ward? What are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's finals week! And you're a squirrel! Were you always a squirrel or am I getting forgetful?"
5: Somewhere in the middle of the woods. At this point why not? Plus I still believe that there is a chance that Fox and Fido might be able to catch up to them if they leave Jess's house and move quickly.
They would have to have some idea where it's coming out first, and it would take more than a few seconds to get that outta Jess. Though, it's not exactly impossible that the opening is about 10 feet from the front door. This is, again, Kari.

6: A different comic. Sure why not? It is Kari we're talking about.
I love this idea, but I'm not sure that Rick has ever pulled a gag like that. I could easily see it though:

Marion: Is that a polar bear and a raccoon playing paintball? Where the heck are we?!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

dr_eirik wrote:

I love the visual of Tarot using her grabber on Fido. I wonder if Fido and Fox will talk to Kevin and Ralph and hear a squirrel matching Marion’s description that talked about transformation, or perhaps read Kevin’s report, as Kevin writes a lot of reports.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/wp-conte ... letter.png
Last edited by trekkie on Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller