2019/09/02 - High Four

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Cesco

Re: 2019/09/02 - High Four

Post by Cesco »

Back again with Marion's story. :) Oh, finally King and Marion are face to face. So, it's really enough just that one question... :? It tricked Marion, anyway, eheheh. :D Poor him, he hadn't still realize to have lost one finger per hand. :P Fido is impressed of you, good job, King. ;) Now that King showed that Marion was really an human, bring Tarot and Sabrina to try find a solution to bring him to his original form. They could do some more progress.
Argent

Post by Argent »

This kind of reminds me of the scene in Tom Sawyer where he's trying to disguise himself as a girl, but he's exposed because he's not used to wearing skirts.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

One strip, multiple parts of the plot moved forward simultaneously. I love it!

Curious as to whether or not King's been workshopping how to tell humans-turned-animals from regular animals over his time away from magic(k)al shenanigans. If this is the same night, and Marion didn't stay overnight at the station or whatever, then King came up with that question rather fast for it being 3AM.

What's going to be interesting is what happens when King spills the beans about his former humanity to Marion. It's got to happen real soon, and I can't wait to see what Marion's reaction is. Another interesting moment will be when Marion drops the bombshell that he used to be a male human. Of course, Fox & Fido could've very well briefed him on that ("The missing person is male and this female squirrel claims to be him") off-panel, in between the last part and this one before they went in to the interrogation room. But then again, for the sake of hilarity, Marion may be the one to reveal that. I could see Fido falling over like Marion did when he got those texts from Lois, and King acting ever-so-mildly shaken:

Marion: [Exhales a deep sigh of relief and smiles.] This is definitely a change of pace from earlier today; everyone's believing me left and right now. But, how did you...?
King: I knew you were going to ask that question. The fact is that this isn't really a new situation for me. I used to be human, too.
Marion: [Marion leans forward toward King in disbelief, standing up in his chair and with both hands on the table in a "You gotta be kidding me" pose.] What?!?
King: [Fido is right next to King like he was in this current strip, and has a quizzical look on his face as he focuses on King. It's still tough for him to believe, since he just found out a bit earlier.]
King: It's true. I used to be a regular human guy until some... [He almost looks over at Fido. He doesn't want to give away too much.] things happened, and I wound up like this. But don't you worry, we'll figure out how to get you back to normal and back to your family, ma'am.
Marion: Sir.
King: Oh, ma'am, you don't have to call me "Sir". I know this sounds like a step up from that, but you can just call me by my name, King.
Marion: No, I mean I'm a sir.
King: [Raises an eyebrow.] Come again?
Marion: You said you were a guy before you got changed, right? Well, here's the thing: [Panel is a close-up shot of Marion pointing at himself.] Before I woke up all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed earlier this morning, I was a guy as well.
[Last panel cuts back to King and Fido. Fido is literally floored by this information, only his feet on-panel 'cause he's in this same pose.]
King: O-oh. [Brings his hand up to his chin, pondering this development.] Well, that's new.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks like Fido and everybody might know the whole story behind King and was told it by either King himself or Sabrina. I was pretty sure that they wouldn't have Fido dealing with the fact that King dognapped his best friend as a human criminal in the arc as we are dealing more with Marion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:One strip, multiple parts of the plot moved forward simultaneously. I love it!

Curious as to whether or not King's been workshopping how to tell humans-turned-animals from regular animals over his time away from magic(k)al shenanigans. If this is the same night, and Marion didn't stay overnight at the station or whatever, then King came up with that question rather fast for it being 3AM.

What's going to be interesting is what happens when King spills the beans about his former humanity to Marion. It's got to happen real soon, and I can't wait to see what Marion's reaction is. Another interesting moment will be when Marion drops the bombshell that he used to be a male human. Of course, Fox & Fido could've very well briefed him on that ("The missing person is male and this female squirrel claims to be him") off-panel, in between the last part and this one before they went in to the interrogation room. But then again, for the sake of hilarity, Marion may be the one to reveal that. I could see Fido falling over like Marion did when he got those texts from Lois, and King acting ever-so-mildly shaken:

Marion: [Exhales a deep sigh of relief and smiles.] This is definitely a change of pace from earlier today; everyone's believing me left and right now. But, how did you...?
King: I knew you were going to ask that question. The fact is that this isn't really a new situation for me. I used to be human, too.
Marion: [Marion leans forward toward King in disbelief, standing up in his chair and with both hands on the table in a "You gotta be kidding me" pose.] What?!?
King: [Fido is right next to King like he was in this current strip, and has a quizzical look on his face as he focuses on King. It's still tough for him to believe, since he just found out a bit earlier.]
King: It's true. I used to be a regular human guy until some... [He almost looks over at Fido. He doesn't want to give away too much.] things happened, and I wound up like this. But don't you worry, we'll figure out how to get you back to normal and back to your family, ma'am.
Marion: Sir.
King: Oh, ma'am, you don't have to call me "Sir". I know this sounds like a step up from that, but you can just call me by my name, King.
Marion: No, I mean I'm a sir.
King: [Raises an eyebrow.] Come again?
Marion: You said you were a guy before you got changed, right? Well, here's the thing: [Panel is a close-up shot of Marion pointing at himself.] Before I woke up all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed earlier this morning, I was a guy as well.
[Last panel cuts back to King and Fido. Fido is literally floored by this information, only his feet on-panel 'cause he's in this same pose.]
King: O-oh. [Brings his hand up to his chin, pondering this development.] Well, that's new.
You're correct. That information would have already been discussed before this strip either on the phone or after King arrived at the station. King would have known about the gender swap from Fox and/or Fido. King would have known Marion was a boy when he was human. Also I still believe that Fido knows about Pete's involvement and that the only thing he apparently doesn't know is King's human identity which makes me wonder if Rick is saving that for a later date. King lets it slip while Fido is around then Fox has to hold him back from strangling the little corgi's neck.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Looks like Fido and everybody might know the whole story behind King and was told it by either King himself or Sabrina. I was pretty sure that they wouldn't have Fido dealing with the fact that King dognapped his best friend as a human criminal in the arc as we are dealing more with Marion.
It's possible that Fido has known for some time, we just don't know that explicitly yet. The earliest that he might have been told is really after they got back from Australia, and even then it might not have been more than King was human, not who. I still don't think that's what happened, though. I think Fido is literally finding out these details this early morning. I think he's only finding out just before or after Fox called King that Kind was human, and that he's just rolling with things because it really can't get any weirder (spoiler alert, it probably will)

I really have to give a lot of credit to Rick here. This was not a direction that I think anyone seriously predicted, but it makes absolutely perfect sense in retrospect. Fido is a serious police dog with several years on the police force who is investigating a missing teenager. He wasn't going to take a random female squirrel at her word even if Lois is convinced and Fox has an explanation.

Fox got snapped hard for going against police procedure. Taking Marion to Sabrina or King first would have been slipping back into his "action blockbuster" mode. They can easily secure the material witness critter at the station and bring the experts to her/him.

The question is still going to be what they do with this information going forward. They have actually already solved the missing persons case, even if they don't know it yet.

Continuing Ash Graytrees script...

Marion: <Suddenly looks defeated> How long have you been a dog? This didn't happen to you last night.
King: <Hesitates> Almost 10 years.
Marion: Then that's it then, isn't it? I'm stuck like this. <starts to tear up> My life is over.
King: That's not true, kid. I found a way to return to human once. I chose to stay this way.
Marion: What?! How? Why?
King: Well, the why is I found I was far happier like this. I have a wife and pups now. <Pauses> The how? Well, that's a very long story and I'm not sure it'll work for you. But there could always be a way...
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:One question to prove the point
in an interview worth recording.
It’s not just Squirrels with their nuts
that the gardens have been hoarding.
Fido watches King with new suspicion
as he works the questioning room
and, if the room’s not being watched,
it’s all unofficial, no doom.
He knows the psychology, does King,
and he knows he has four fingers.
But, as with anything long lasting,
the memory of what’s missing lingers.
Perfect. Your art is every bit the match to Rick's own.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Ta. Generally they're my thoughts on the intricacies of what's going on and the larger plotlines hidden by the current one. Have they told Fido who he was? If not, is Fido wondering Why not?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Ta. Generally they're my thoughts on the intricacies of what's going on and the larger plotlines hidden by the current one. Have they told Fido who he was? If not, is Fido wondering Why not?
I suspect no to the first and not really by the second. I think they only have told him that King was human either just before or just after the call to King. If it even occurred to him to ask who he was, Fox likely put him off. It seems like King just got to the station, so there hasn't been time to go deep into Kings background.

I'm still hoping that we'll see some acknowledgment that Fido would, at the least, be interested in finding out Joel was, in a sense, right under his nose and had been for years. And in fact was literally right in front of him once, as Joel, and was protected by Fox.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Ta. Generally they're my thoughts on the intricacies of what's going on and the larger plotlines hidden by the current one. Have they told Fido who he was? If not, is Fido wondering Why not?
I don't think they told Fido, but his identity isn't really an important detail to the situation so he might not be concerned with it at the moment. I'm thinking it might come up in an argument later once he finds out Sabrina and Tarot already knew about it.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
I don't think they told Fido, but his identity isn't really an important detail to the situation so he might not be concerned with it at the moment. I'm thinking it might come up in an argument later once he finds out Sabrina and Tarot already knew about it.
I was just thinking of this: What help would King BE able to give to Marion? Yes, he was changed into an animal himself but that was done via a Celestial and we still don't know how Marion was shifted. The only theories out there are that either Steward did it or another game started between a new set of Celestials. Personally, I think the only help he can give is helping Marion adjust to his new life.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:
Sir Chestnut wrote:
I was just thinking of this: What help would King BE able to give to Marion? Yes, he was changed into an animal himself but that was done via a Celestial and we still don't know how Marion was shifted. The only theories out there are that either Steward did it or another game started between a new set of Celestials. Personally, I think the only help he can give is helping Marion adjust to his new life.
Advice and guidance is King's only purpose as far as I can tell. A friendly ear and someone who shares the same experience can go a long way. Plus like i said King has a direct line the Miltons' which again, Marion will need if he hopes to get some normalcy back and even graduate high school. The Milton's money and influence is what Marion really needs right now. Right now, no one other than Kitsune is going to be able to help find out what caused the transformation and even King has a direct line to him. I would not be surprised that a week from now, King is introducing him to Kitsune and we bypass Sabrina and Tarot all together.
As far as the "who dun it" aspect there is no way of knowing. Steward and the Magic Coin couldn't have done it do to the physical limitations such as timing, motive, breaking into Marion's house, and choosing Marion in the first place. Another game is unlikely because Pete was severely punished for what he did to king and I doubt Rick would recycle the same plot again. At this point, random curse is the more likely.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Advice and guidance is King's only purpose as far as I can tell. A friendly ear and someone who shares the same experience can go a long way. Plus like i said King has a direct line the Miltons' which again, Marion will need if he hopes to get some normalcy back and even graduate high school. The Milton's money and influence is what Marion really needs right now. Right now, no one other than Kitsune is going to be able to help find out what caused the transformation and even King has a direct line to him. I would not be surprised that a week from now, King is introducing him to Kitsune and we bypass Sabrina and Tarot all together.
As far as the "who dun it" aspect there is no way of knowing. Steward and the Magic Coin couldn't have done it do to the physical limitations such as timing, motive, breaking into Marion's house, and choosing Marion in the first place. Another game is unlikely because Pete was severely punished for what he did to king and I doubt Rick would recycle the same plot again. At this point, random curse is the more likely.
King is an interesting choice. Fox didn't call him because he can help turn Marion back, they are still slightly stuck at the "Prove this squirrel was once human" stage. In that way, I can kind of see calling him in because he's going to be the only one that they know of that has the insight into this problem. Tarot and Sabrina have severely limited powers now. If anyone is going to spot the odd clue that this is true it's King. And he did.

I don't think Fox was even starting to think about his connection to the Miltons. If that was the only reason to bring King in, then it wasn't really needed now. Fox is aware of his connection to Kitsune, though.

As for the who dun it? I think we aren't going to know for a while, unless for some extremely strange reason it's Kitsune. I do think we are about to finally get a couple of clues. This seems to be going into some kind of interrogation, even if it's a friendly one. Rick has something up his sleeve.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Ash Greytree wrote:Marion: You said you were a guy before you got changed, right? Well, here's the thing: [Panel is a close-up shot of Marion pointing at himself.] Before I woke up all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed earlier this morning, I was a guy as well.
Fido shouldn't be floored by that since it wouldn't be the first time hearing it. Marion said he was the missing boy when Fido first interviewed him.
SeanWolf wrote:I was just thinking of this: What help would King BE able to give to Marion?...Personally, I think the only help he can give is helping Marion adjust to his new life.
People were saying this before and now King surprised us by using his unique* circumstances to devise a way to prove to others if the squirrel is telling the truth. I don't know what King will do going forward, but maybe he'll surprise us again.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Fenrir Theater Presents: Just For Fun- What is Fox and Lois doing?
scene: Standing at the window looking in a Marion and King at the table.
Lois: Is this going to take much longer? I need to get Marion home. HIs mom is freaking out. She's called five times already.
Fox: We just need to determine if he really is telling the truth.
Lois: I don't think the best actor in the world could fake that breakdown earlier. Plus I know Marion's crying anywhere. When we were kids, he hurt himself. A lot.
Fido walks out.
Fido: Well, he's definitely telling the truth. The problem is how to we tell the Sergeant about this? Technically Marion Ward is still missing and no one is going to buy that he woke up as a squirrel yesterday.
Fox: Does he know how it happened?
Lois: From what he told me it was random. No cause or reason.
Fido: King is going over a few things with him to help sort this situation out. So you knew he was human for how many years?
Fox: Five years.
Fido: Hmm hmm. I need to put this on record. Who was he before?
Fox: That's really not important. In fact it's so not important that I don't remember.
Fido: Ooookay.
King walks out.
King: He wants to see you, Lois.
Lois nods and walks into the room.
King: Well, I don't know what else I can do. As far as I can tell no celestials are involved this time.
Fox: We have to do something with him. He can't go back to Jess's house and there is no reason for him to stay here. His parents are worried about him.
King: Must be nice.
Fox: What?
King: Nothing. How do you expect us to explain this to his parents? From what he told me, his mother didn't believe him before.
Fox: I don't know. Can he at least stay with you and Bailey until we come up with a solution?
King: At the wolf house? Why can't he stay with you?
Fox: How am I supposed to explain to my Dad that I bringing home a random squirrel?
They turn to Fido.
Fido: Don't look at me. I got my paws full already dealing with Spo.
Lois: Guys, he can stay with me.

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: Advice and guidance is King's only purpose as far as I can tell. A friendly ear and someone who shares the same experience can go a long way. Plus like i said King has a direct line the Miltons' which again, Marion will need if he hopes to get some normalcy back and even graduate high school. The Milton's money and influence is what Marion really needs right now. Right now, no one other than Kitsune is going to be able to help find out what caused the transformation and even King has a direct line to him. I would not be surprised that a week from now, King is introducing him to Kitsune and we bypass Sabrina and Tarot all together.
King is an interesting choice. Fox didn't call him because he can help turn Marion back, they are still slightly stuck at the "Prove this squirrel was once human" stage. In that way, I can kind of see calling him in because he's going to be the only one that they know of that has the insight into this problem. Tarot and Sabrina have severely limited powers now. If anyone is going to spot the odd clue that this is true it's King. And he did.

I don't think Fox was even starting to think about his connection to the Miltons. If that was the only reason to bring King in, then it wasn't really needed now. Fox is aware of his connection to Kitsune, though.
I'm more thinking in terms of Rick's plan. Fox might not be planning that far in advance but Rick is. He has to do something with Marion and I'm betting that something in the Miltons. Still King is still an odd choice just to determine if Marion is telling the truth. Tarot and Sabrina's limited powers didn't stop him from running to him with Sasha. Although that experience might have turned him off to ever going to them for help again. At this point it is highly possible we bypass them all together which is disappointing but could help progress the story cleaner by cutting any unnecessary parts.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm not sure why the experience with Sabrina and Sasha would make Fox avoid going to them for help ever again. It wasn't their fault that Mungo was good at his job and found him.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Regarding where the story is going to go from here, a lot more options open up when it gets to be daytime. It’s currently what, 3:30, maybe even 4AM in Babylon Gardens right now? Like... unless Steward or some new character decides to run some major interference that keeps Part 4 going straight through until the morning, I just can’t see another whole arc taking place in this single in-comic 24-hour timespan. I have a feeling that after things get cleared up, discussed, and confirmed in this interrogation room over the course of the next few strips, Marion’s going to be headed home with someone to get some sleep.

After that, still in Part 4, we’ll pick up sometime later in the day with him awake and proceeding with whatever plan was decided on. Something along the lines of “We’re all good here? Great. It’s set, then. Marion will go home with Lois tonight, and after her finals during the day are over, she and Marion will go to King’s house to talk with Kitsune/to Tarot’s house to suss out any possible solutions or get a twist going where Lois is Tarot’s owner/to Sabrina’s house to see if Stanley D’Angelo brought back anything useful, or possibly the catalyst of Marion’s transformation, from his recent adventures.”

Maybe all three can happen so that Marion gets maximum character interaction with the other pets; that’d be fun.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:...The Milton's money and influence is what Marion really needs right now...
Who wouldn't like to have access to the Milton's money and influence?
fenrirblack wrote:Fido: Don't look at me. I got my paws full already dealing with Spo.
Simple solution: boot out SPO.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm not sure why the experience with Sabrina and Sasha would make Fox avoid going to them for help ever again. It wasn't their fault that Mungo was good at his job and found him.
He went to them expecting magic(k)al solutions, but instead watched his crush get thwacked.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ok, I started to write a short addendum to Fenritblacks script and got carried away. This is quickly turning into alternate reality fan fiction or something
fenrirblack wrote:Fenrir Theater Presents: Just For Fun- What is Fox and Lois doing?
scene: Standing at the window looking in a Marion and King at the table.
Lois: Is this going to take much longer? I need to get Marion home. HIs mom is freaking out. She's called five times already.
Fox: We just need to determine if he really is telling the truth.
Lois: I don't think the best actor in the world could fake that breakdown earlier. Plus I know Marion's crying anywhere. When we were kids, he hurt himself. A lot.
Fido walks out.
Fido: Well, he's definitely telling the truth. The problem is how to we tell the Sergeant about this? Technically Marion Ward is still missing and no one is going to buy that he woke up as a squirrel yesterday.
Fox: Does he know how it happened?
Lois: From what he told me it was random. No cause or reason.
Fido: King is going over a few things with him to help sort this situation out. So you knew he was human for how many years?
Fox: Five years.
Fido: Hmm hmm. I need to put this on record. Who was he before?
Fox: That's really not important. In fact it's so not important that I don't remember.
Fido: Ooookay.
King walks out.
King: He wants to see you, Lois.
Lois nods and walks into the room.
King: Well, I don't know what else I can do. As far as I can tell no celestials are involved this time.
Fox: We have to do something with him. He can't go back to Jess's house and there is no reason for him to stay here. His parents are worried about him.
King: Must be nice.
Fox: What?
King: Nothing. How do you expect us to explain this to his parents? From what he told me, his mother didn't believe him before.
Fox: I don't know. Can he at least stay with you and Bailey until we come up with a solution?
King: At the wolf house? Why can't he stay with you?
Fox: How am I supposed to explain to my Dad that I bringing home a random squirrel?
They turn to Fido.
Fido: Don't look at me. I got my paws full already dealing with Spo.
Lois: Guys, he can stay with me.

<All three look up in surprise, seeing Lois in the doorway to the interrogation room with Marion perched on her shoulder >
Lois: It makes the most sense. We need to talk about how we are going to tell his mom, anyway. Is that a problem?
Fido: No, it makes sense. I've got no idea how I'm going to explain this to Ralph, much less Detective Simpson.
Marion: Who's Ralph?
Fox: Our K9 Sargent. Good dog, but very by the book. Letting you leave is technically a problem since we dont exactly have ID with your photo.
Fido: <rubs the bridge of his nose tiredly> Even if I believe you, I'm supposed to call animal control in right now. There is still the problem of the picture you sent. That's evidence. Just of what is harder to explain. If you were a feral, I would need to hold you until the case is resolved. Then Animal Control relocates you.
Marion: What!? No!
Fido: <looks slightly crossly at Fox> You're rubbing off on me. <looks back at Marion> I'm not going to let that happen. I'm convinced as much as I can be. You're going home with your girlfriend. Fox? Go with them. Start sniffing around the Ward house, discreetly. You've been up to your neck in all this more than I have, you'll probably know better than I when you find something.
Fox: What about Tarot? Or Sabrina?
Fido: I'll call Sabrina when I'm done here and fill her in. I'll get the paperwork together, too. I'll need to talk to Ralph when he and Kevin come on duty in a couple hours.
Marion: Kevin? Doberman? Fondness for puns, build like a brick?
Fido: That's him. You know him?
Marion: <sour expression > We met.
<Marion doesn't elaborate, and Fido continues >
Fido: Okay, you three head out. King? Can you stick around for a sec? You can help fill in a couple gaps for me. Maybe help sell this to Sarge.
<Everyone clears out, King and Fido find a desk and sit down
Fido: This is the strangest night of my career, and I've met an Aztec ghost.
King: This only rates about a five on my strange-o-meter.
Fido: Ok, let's figure this out. Fox gave me the broad stroke and Sabrina has told me a few things over the years. I guess you having been human explains a bit about you. Why didn't you tell us?
King: I couldn't. The being that changed me also blocked me from saying my name. Once that was lifted, who would have believed me?
Fido: Fox did. He says he's known for five years.
King: He had an abundance of proof. I was turned human again one night and I called him over.
Fido: That was before he was a K9. Did he ever make sure to check missing persons cases? <taps on the computer> What was your name?
King: Uh, Fox didn't tell you?
Fido: He said he didn't remember.
King: Can I use his answer?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

If I'm going down, then I'm going down swinging.

scene: Fox, Marion, and Lois arrive at her house.
Lois: Here we are. We have to be careful not to wake my parents. I told them I would be out late but not this late.
Fox: I'm going to go over to Marion's house and sniff around the yard. Where is it exactly?
Marion: Its right around the corner. The Beige one next to the green one.
Fox: I'm a dog so everything is kinda beige to me but I should be fine.
Marion and Lois sneak into her room.
Marion: I always wondered what it would be like to spend the night here. I didn't think it would be like this.
Lois: What was that?
Marion: Nothing. Where do I sleep?
Lois: I was thinking you can sleep with my stuffed animals. That way if my parents check in while I'm at school you can pretend to be a toy.
Marion: Wait, you're leaving me here alone tomorrow. What about explaining this to my Mom?
Lois: Umm, its still exam week and I have finals. Just because you can't go to school doesn't mean I can skip. Besides your Mom will be at work tomorrow morning anyway.
Marion: Still doesn't seem fair. Can I at least sleep the end of your bed or something?
Lois: No, that would be too weird. What's wrong with Snorlax? He's big enough to be a bed for you.
Marion: Fine. I feel ridiculous but being this small does have some advantage.
Lois: I'm going to get ready for bed. I have to wake up in...two hours to get ready for school.

Okay, now I’m done
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

You may be done, but apparently I'm not.

<Lois takes off her jacket and quietly lays it over her desk chair. Shes about to remove her shirt when she glances down at Marion who is laying on the belly of the Pokemon, head perched up on his hands watching.>
Lois: Excuse me? What are you doing?
Marion: Just relaxing before bed.
Lois: can you turn around? I need to get some sleep
Marion: I'm just an innocent pet squirrel. Female at that, apparently. What's the big deal?
Lois: <smiles, but narrows her eyes> You know, there are a couple of really helpful K9s whose life would be so much easier if I called Animal Control...
Marion: <puts up his hands in surrender> Fine, fine. <curls up on the toy, facing away from Lois> Good night.
<Lois quickly changes and goes to turn off the light, and stops when she looks down at Marion, who is already asleep. She pauses, kneels down and gently kisses him on the head> We'll fix this. I promise you.

Now I go to sleep....
Argent

Post by Argent »

SeanWolf wrote:I was just thinking of this: What help would King BE able to give to Marion?
He's got a demigod in his closet.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Argent wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:I was just thinking of this: What help would King BE able to give to Marion?
I actually forgot about that. Whoops :oops:
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

fenrirblack wrote: Lois: I was thinking you can sleep with my stuffed animals. That way if my parents check in while I'm at school you can pretend to be a toy.
Marion: Wait, you're leaving me here alone tomorrow. What about explaining this to my Mom?
Marion and Lois confronting Marion's parents (likely backed up by Fox & Fido) to lend some authority to the whole thing) seems like something that could either happen this night or the next night. The next night makes more sense if the "Marion & Co. go out the next day seeking out answers" thing is done and that turns up dry or gives them a lead but it'll take a good while to follow up on it. Marion would have to then settle in to some kind of new routine if his condition is going to take longer to solve, and his parents need to know he's okay.

My guess? Everyone involved (Marion's parents, Lois, Fido, Fox, King, and others that get involved in the story) winds up at the Miltons so that the situation can be explained in a formal manner with no miscommunications or unfortunate broom-based freakouts. This would also bring the ECP back to the fore. Steward talking about and name-dropping the ECP at night while Marion was trying to sleep has to serve more of a purpose to the squirrel's arc than getting him out of bed so he can overhear and join an argument that leads to him getting even more bummed out/angry.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Ash Greytree wrote:
Marion and Lois confronting Marion's parents (likely backed up by Fox & Fido) to lend some authority to the whole thing) seems like something that could either happen this night or the next night.
I'm assuming tonight will be some sort of dialogue between King and Marion since Marion is probably wondering who King is and why they called him in.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

OK, I know I've beaten this horse to death, but I had this scene play though my head as I was falling asleep last night.. I'll admit that this doesn't exactly feel right to character for Ralph. He's way too by the book for this. Then again, he's way, way off book.

<Early morning, police station. The sun isn't up yet, but the sky is lightening up. Sargent Ralph walks into his office to find Fido and King. He's not surprised with Fido, he texted earlier requesting he come in a bit early for an important matter. He is surprised to find the Corgi sitting in a chair by the window staring out into the morning fog. Fido had been seated, but rises when his superior walks in, he is also clearly annoyed and upset.>
Ralph: King? What are you doing here? Is something wrong? What's so urgent?
<King barely turns his head to acknowledge Ralph. Fido sighs.>
Fido: This isn't really about King... yet... This is about a missing kid from last night.
<Fido starts to explain the story, starting with Lois talking with the desk sergent, he and Fox going out to at least find the squirrel, and then finding it and determining that the squirrel was actually the missing teenager. Ralph stares at his officer.>
Ralph: You expect me to believe that story? And why did you drag King down here in the middle of the night.
Fido: <Gives a sideways glance at King, who hasn't done much but stare though the story> Fox felt that King would have special insight to help determine that this squirrel was in fact a human.
Ralph: King? Why would you...
King: <He doesn't turn his head, just continues to look out the window> I was human, before I was this.
Ralph: <Quiet for a long pause while he takes that in> Well, that explains so much about you, King.
King: Why does everyone keep saying that?
Ralph: <Looks at Fido, who is having trouble covering his feelings> What is up with you two?
King: Tell him. Might as well. <Finally looks Ralph in the eye> For what its worth, Fox forgave me years ago.
Fido: It's who he was, Sarge. King is Joel Robinson.
<Ralph stares at Fido, trying to absorb this information. He leans back and looks at King>
Ralph: Is that true? And Fox knows?
King: It is, and he's known since before he was on the force.
<There is a long silence in the room>
Fido: What are we going to do?
Ralph: About King or Marion Ward?
Fido: <Shrugs> Either. Both.
Ralph: <Takes a long look at King> For the time being, Robinson is still missing. I'm going to want a lot of details later. As for Ward... has he actually been officially reported as missing?
Fido: No, the desk sergeant asked us to look into it for his step-sister. Turned out to be his girlfriend. I don't think this has gone to missing persons yet.
Ralph: Lets keep it that way for now. <His ears perk up> Wait, do you have a picture of the squirrel? <Fido hands it over> Oh, Dognabit! This is the squirrel that Kevin chased yesterday morning! She...
Kind: He.
Ralph: Uh, right. He even asked if we knew something about human animal transformation!
Fido: So, what now?
Ralph: You're about to go off duty. Take King home and check with Fox, see if he found anything. I'll make sure things are calm here. After the morning briefing, I want to talk with this squirrel. I'll grab Kevin... uh... maybe I'll switch off with Mungo instead, and meet you in the neighborhood.
King: Y-You're not angry at me? You're not going to arrest me?
Ralph: I'm not sure how I feel right now. Do I call you Joel or King?
King: Joel is dead and gone.
Ralph: I want to talk with you more once this Ward situation is cleared up. But I can understand why Fido is ticked off at you. We were all there. We know what happened to Fox. He almost died.
King: And he's let it go.
Ralph: I understand. I'm sure that's why I found you in my office and not a kennel. <Looks at the clock> I'm going to be late for briefing. You two get going, we'll talk in a couple hours. Oh, and have either of you seen Terrance? I swear, he's never around when I need him.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote: Ralph: I want to talk with you more once this Ward situation is cleared up. But I can understand why Fido is ticked off at you. We were all there. We know what happened to Fox. He almost died.
He didn't almost die. They barely made it down the road. He was never in too much danger. It was the first kidnapping he almost died. So it would be more like
Ralph: He almost died.
King: That was the first time he was kidnapped which had nothing to do with me. I was still in college at the time.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote: Ralph: I want to talk with you more once this Ward situation is cleared up. But I can understand why Fido is ticked off at you. We were all there. We know what happened to Fox. He almost died.
He didn't almost die. They barely made it down the road. He was never in too much danger. It was the first kidnapping he almost died. So it would be more like
King: That was the first time he was kidnapped which had nothing to do with me. I was still in college at the time.
The fat PETA guy (did we ever get his name? It wasn't Joel) tried to smother him. The K9s thought he was pretty close.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... efreshing/
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote: The fat PETA guy (did we ever get his name? It wasn't Joel) tried to smother him. The K9s thought he was pretty close.
I always assumed he was Orwell Johnson from Real Stories of the K9PD. He looks liked him, but the strip has no tag for Orwell or PETA so it's still a bit ambiguous.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... g-me-down/
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
The fat PETA guy (did we ever get his name? It wasn't Joel) tried to smother him. The K9s thought he was pretty close.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... efreshing/
Good point. It was Orwell Johnson but that still wasn't King/Joel's fault. We know Orwell's crazy.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Good point. It was Orwell Johnson but that still wasn't King/Joel's fault. We know Orwell's crazy.
True, but does anyone other than King (and Fox, I guess) even know that? Joel never went on trial, so there was never any testimony in his defense. I'm not sure that anyone is even aware that Joel basically went along with the plan reluctantly.

Besides, he was still an accomplice. If Fox had died, he'd have been just as culpable (well, if Fox had the same rights as humans. He wouldn't have gone up for murder)

BTW, aren't we way overdue for a good, old fashioned, Fox dognapping?

EDIT: WAS it Orwell Johnson? It lines up, of course, but the PETA guy actually did try to kill Fox directly. But after Johnsons capture that wasn't mentioned even in passing. You'd think that Ralph would have mentioned it in passing.
Champion Wallace

On the topic of Fido or Sergeant Ralph or anyone connecting the dots or at least being suspicious that King appeared at the same time Joel disappeared, that would be an extreme logical leap for the character. It's been almost 10 years since Joel escaped. The only one who would brood over Joel getting away enough to put 5 and 8 together is Fox and we don't have to worry about him figuring it out on his own. Present day, even if someone discovered King's name, their reaction would probably be more like Bino's. Other than the timing, King has done nothing to give the impression he was a former pet-napper or criminal in general. The pets don't even know where he moved in from. Additionally, it's not like Joel's parents had a monopoly on the name. There's no reason to go digging in missing person files because even if his file was never officially closed, he could've easily reunited with his family by now if he wanted and the K9s aren't even sure how to close the file on hand. I will admit even I would get giddy when reading through the archives for the first time at that the prospect of King's secret getting out, but the time for that having meaning to the characters is passed. Even if someone with power that doesn't know King too well like Bill found out, it's not like any of it would be admissible in court.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Champion Wallace wrote:On the topic of Fido or Sergeant Ralph or anyone connecting the dots or at least being suspicious that King appeared at the same time Joel disappeared, that would be an extreme logical leap for the character. It's been almost 10 years since Joel escaped. The only one who would brood over Joel getting away enough to put 5 and 8 together is Fox and we don't have to worry about him figuring it out on his own. Present day, even if someone discovered King's name, their reaction would probably be more like Bino's. Other than the timing, King has done nothing to give the impression he was a former pet-napper or criminal in general. The pets don't even know where he moved in from. Additionally, it's not like Joel's parents had a monopoly on the name. There's no reason to go digging in missing person files because even if his file was never officially closed, he could've easily reunited with his family by now if he wanted and the K9s aren't even sure how to close the file on hand. I will admit even I would get giddy when reading through the archives for the first time at that the prospect of King's secret getting out, but the time for that having meaning to the characters is passed. Even if someone with power that doesn't know King too well like Bill found out, it's not like any of it would be admissible in court.
I dont think anyone would put it together, I think they would have to be told. I do think there would be at least passing anger, both at King and possibly a little at Fox, over his past identity. At least with the K9s. I dont think that King then becomes a pariah. I think it has the possibility of coloring Kings relationship to a few members of the cast, but in fairness, no one that he interacts with much.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Oh, don't forget this scene:

Champion Wallace

Also don't forget this:
and this:
Argent

Post by Argent »

Nick says "10 hours", and holds up 8 digits.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Argent wrote:
trekkie wrote:Well, that was easier than expected. Good test, King. Maybe the hot beverage isn’t coffee but tea. Great job on the details of the strip here, Rick!
Tea often has more caffeine in it than coffee.
Herbal tea, maybe?
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The issue with what happened to Marion before wasn't because of one cup of coffee. It was because it was implied he drank several cans of that energy drink or drank it so fast that it shocked his system and nearly gave him a cardiac arrhythmia. I'm sure that if he drank it slowly and at paced intervals it wouldn't kill him.
Argent

Post by Argent »

trekkie wrote:
Argent wrote:
trekkie wrote:Well, that was easier than expected. Good test, King. Maybe the hot beverage isn’t coffee but tea. Great job on the details of the strip here, Rick!
Tea often has more caffeine in it than coffee.
Herbal tea, maybe?
At a police station. MMmmaybe.