2019/09/09 - The Transient Nature Of Being

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/09/09 - The Transient Nature Of Being

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/09/09 - The Transient Nature Of Being]
Title Text: *ticks King's Noodle Incidents counter up by one*

So who would this therapy be for, again?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/09/09 - The Transient Nature Of Being

Post by Saturn381 »

Looks like you've got some mom issue, King. :lol:
Char89Charizard

Post by Char89Charizard »

King's only reason to choose therapy is because he doesn't want Marion to meet Kitsune. That has to be it.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

So... should we take him to the golden talking statue now or... ?
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

*See's son has turned into a squirrel*

Son: It's not a phase MOM!
Allons-y
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ohhh Noodlely. Therapy does sound like a very, very good idea. But who would even take such a case?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The hardships of the young
make an age of a day;
the perils of hard work,
the pleasures of pure play.
A time between them both
plays on the King’s own thoughts;
a memory of folks
has him fall out of sorts.
King’s burdened with knowledge;
too much to call the tune.
If he was thinking straight
he’d go to Kitsune.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I've been saying (joking) King needed therapy for years and the fact that he himself is saying that Marion needs it makes this so awkward. I'm just like "Dude, Marion is the one who needs therapy? Who was it who kidnapped a dog then proceeded to yell at the other dogs about how they were 'animals'?"

Seventeen is an odd number. That would mean that Marion's birthday is sometime in the summer. Just feels odd that it isn't just 18 and be done with it.

I love how King's Mom was brought up. Every time he mentions his parents, my heart bleeds for him and curiosity spikes through the roof because again, from the little we know about them, they were not pleasant people. Yeah, Marion is totally the one who needs therapy.

One last thing, the fact that King pointed out that Marion's change "might be permanent" is a sign that it probably won't be just to skew the readers expectation.
Saturn381 wrote:Looks like you've got some mom issue, King. :lol:
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

i see king continues to be implied to have been a furry in the past.... 8-)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

"So, what do we do with him?"
"He's gonna need therapy."
"No, I meant what should we do with him for the night."

He might need therapy, but who would be qualified to give professional therapy for such a situation.
fenrirblack wrote:I've been saying (joking) King needed therapy for years and the fact that he himself is saying that Marion needs it makes this so awkward. I'm just like "Dude, Marion is the one who needs therapy? Who was it who kidnapped a dog then proceeded to yell at the other dogs about how they were 'animals'?" ...Yeah, Marion is totally the one who needs therapy.
King's not denying therapy would've helped him too. His first line of the second panel admits as much.
fenrirblack wrote:Seventeen is an odd number. That would mean that Marion's birthday is sometime in the summer. Just feels odd that it isn't just 18 and be done with it.
And what's so horrible about summer birthdays?
biddyfox wrote:i see king continues to be implied to have been a furry in the past.... 8-)
Depends... In this case it's very easy for the reader to project themselves onto King.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:"So, what do we do with him?"
"He's gonna need therapy."
"No, I meant what should we do with him for the night."

He might need therapy, but who would be qualified to give professional therapy for such a situation.
I don't think Sabrina's qualified by she's done it before. It's a start.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I've been saying (joking) King needed therapy for years and the fact that he himself is saying that Marion needs it makes this so awkward. I'm just like "Dude, Marion is the one who needs therapy? Who was it who kidnapped a dog then proceeded to yell at the other dogs about how they were 'animals'?" ...Yeah, Marion is totally the one who needs therapy.
King's not denying therapy would've helped him too. His first line of the second panel admits as much.
Let's be honest and drop the "have." It would, should, and will help. I hope the therapist has a group rate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

IceKitsune wrote:Ohhh Noodlely. Therapy does sound like a very, very good idea. But who would even take such a case?
In this universe, there would have to be pet psychiatric care. You start there. Then give King the next appointment.
fenrirblack wrote:I've been saying (joking) King needed therapy for years and the fact that he himself is saying that Marion needs it makes this so awkward. I'm just like "Dude, Marion is the one who needs therapy? Who was it who kidnapped a dog then proceeded to yell at the other dogs about how they were 'animals'?"

Seventeen is an odd number. That would mean that Marion's birthday is sometime in the summer. Just feels odd that it isn't just 18 and be done with it.

I love how King's Mom was brought up. Every time he mentions his parents, my heart bleeds for him and curiosity spikes through the roof because again, from the little we know about them, they were not pleasant people. Yeah, Marion is totally the one who needs therapy.

One last thing, the fact that King pointed out that Marion's change "might be permanent" is a sign that it probably won't be just to skew the readers expectation.
I dont find the age all that odd, but I was 17 when I graduated. I turned 18 less than 2 weeks later. So summer birthday is likely. Or Marion skipped a grade at some point.

"Might be permanent " is really all King knows at this point. King may have had a way back once, but now hes stuck. Perhaps happily stuck, but stuck. From a character perspective and a storytelling one, it would seem odd to have spent this much time with one character only to, essentially, lose him. There is really no way to guess what Rick plans for Marion are. If hes going to be human at some point, I suspect it will be years, both in comic and real time.

Of course, now I'd love to know what King and his mother talked about in Heaven. Clearly not enough.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

I wouldn't be surprised if Keene knows or sees a therapist.

I alsowouldn't be surprised if Mungo may also be more qualified than we know.
Champion Wallace

dr_eirik wrote:"Might be permanent " is really all King knows at this point. King may have had a way back once, but now hes stuck. Perhaps happily stuck, but stuck. From a character perspective and a storytelling one, it would seem odd to have spent this much time with one character only to, essentially, lose him. There is really no way to guess what Rick plans for Marion are. If hes going to be human at some point, I suspect it will be years, both in comic and real time.
Housepets! isn't generally one to kill off characters (and when it does they're not gone), but in a broader sense "to have spent this much time with one character only to, essentially, lose him" is not the uncommon of a literary trope.
dr_eirik wrote:I dont find the age all that odd, but I was 17 when I graduated. I turned 18 less than 2 weeks later. So summer birthday is likely. Or Marion skipped a grade at some point.
Well, technically, 17 is literally an odd number (sorry).
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote: I dont find the age all that odd, but I was 17 when I graduated. I turned 18 less than 2 weeks later. So summer birthday is likely. Or Marion skipped a grade at some point.
Let's all be honest, he did not skip a grade. It's been established Marion is not the best student.
dr_eirik wrote: "Might be permanent " is really all King knows at this point. King may have had a way back once, but now hes stuck. Perhaps happily stuck, but stuck. From a character perspective and a storytelling one, it would seem odd to have spent this much time with one character only to, essentially, lose him. There is really no way to guess what Rick plans for Marion are. If hes going to be human at some point, I suspect it will be years, both in comic and real time.
I'm more thinking that he'll change back near the end of the comic itself or he will be written out when the time comes. It's been pointed out several times (mostly by me) the life as a squirrel is not going to be good for him or anyone for that matter. The fact that he was changed into a squirrel at all was a clear indication that it was not meant to be permanent, or at least that's how I interrupt it. To make it permanent would just be cruel.
dr_eirik wrote: Of course, now I'd love to know what King and his mother talked about in Heaven. Clearly not enough.
She's not even my mother but I feel like I needed therapy from that brief five sentence conversation.
Sir Chestnut wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Keene knows or sees a therapist.
Speaking of mother issues. ;)
D-Rock wrote:] *ticks King's Noodle Incidents counter up by one*
This really ticks me off that it keeps happening and Rick himself admits that it's happening. I don't care what the explanation is, I want to know even if it turns out not to be that satisfying because any explanation involving King's past would be satisfying.
Champion Wallace wrote:
biddyfox wrote:i see king continues to be implied to have been a furry in the past.... 8-)
Depends... In this case it's very easy for the reader to project themselves onto King.
Judging from her reaction in heaven it might not be too far a stretch.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Keene knows or sees a therapist.

I alsowouldn't be surprised if Mungo may also be more qualified than we know.
I had not considered Mungo at all. That really would be the first therapist that Fox would think of.

I also doubt that Keene sees one, unless he was convinced by Breel to go.

Reading the second panel again, "I could have used some myself " does he mean at 17, or after he first transformed? Or both?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Therapy" - does sound like a cue for Mungo. Good-bye to a couple of doors and a number of personal boundaries (as Mungo has issues with both).

... I thought becoming King was Joel's therapy - especially after meeting Mom?
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

I'm probably displaying my ignorance here, but is there a literary or cultural reference in the title of today's strip? The similarity to the title of Chapter 65 is obvious - is it another Kundera quote?

I'm constantly amazed by how much Joel / King has changed since his first appearance in the comic. I'm not referring to his canine transformation here, but to his emotional maturation. As a human he was lost; as a dog he's discovered gumption, commitment, friendship, love, and a desire to help others. He's become a fantastic father. Our favourite corgi is now a more complete, complex and admirable character than most of the humans in the HP! world, and how subversive of a concept is that?? Turns out Pete's selfish act was truly a gift, although no one - least of all King - thought about it that way at the time. Fantastic character development, Rick!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:
D-Rock wrote:*ticks King's Noodle Incidents counter up by one*
This really ticks me off that it keeps happening and Rick himself admits that it's happening. I don't care what the explanation is, I want to know even if it turns out not to be that satisfying because any explanation involving King's past would be satisfying.
But noodle incidents are so much more satisfying when they aren't explained! Your mind gets to fill in the gaps with vague semi-plausible thoughts and have so much more fun than any concrete explanation could give you. (Plus this is literally the inclination that Rick was poking fun at with the Max and Rufus backstory arc :P )
Argent

Post by Argent »

Champion Wallace wrote:And what's so horrible about summer birthdays?
It means Voldemort goes after you because you might be the child of prophecy.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Kaworu

Post by Kaworu »

Oh, I wanna focus on this phase of King :D It's a furry phase, right? xD Or something else...? :D
Argent

Post by Argent »

anhedral wrote:I'm probably displaying my ignorance here, but is there a literary or cultural reference in the title of today's strip? The similarity to the title of Chapter 65 is obvious - is it another Kundera quote?
It's one of the four noble truths of Buddhism.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Now I'm wondering if we are going to see another new character if Marion does go to therapy (maybe a doctor who's a cat...Dr. Katz :lol: ).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Char89Charizard wrote:King's only reason to choose therapy is because he doesn't want Marion to meet Kitsune. That has to be it.
I wouldn't say it's the only reason. But I definitely have noticed from the last few times that Kitsune has appeared or even been mentioned around King it seems King wants Kitsune out of his life.

I'd probably feel the same way if the furry equivalent of Q was sitting in my closet and reading my thoughts.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... ermission/
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
Char89Charizard wrote:King's only reason to choose therapy is because he doesn't want Marion to meet Kitsune. That has to be it.
I wouldn't say it's the only reason. But I definitely have noticed from the last few times that Kitsune has appeared or even been mentioned around King it seems King wants Kitsune out of his life.

I'd probably feel the same way if the furry equivalent of Q was sitting in my closet and reading my thoughts.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... ermission/
I don't think there is any question that King wants nothing ever to do with Kitsune or any of the other Celestials. For obvious reasons, he doesn't trust any of them. That might be why he didn't already try to get Kitsune into the picture, since that seems like the obvious first move. I think he's going to feel forced to try pretty soon.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:Now I'm wondering if we are going to see another new character if Marion does go to therapy (maybe a doctor who's a cat...Dr. Katz :lol: ).
As much as King needs therapy it is going to be hard to find someone who A. Takes animal clients and B. Understands and accepts that King used to be human. They would have to find someone very open minded and/or believes in the supernatural. Dr. Linda from Lucifer would be a good option. But they don’t live near L.A. so they’ll have to settle for Sabrina or do it over the phone or online. On the internet, no one knows you’re a dog...who used to be human.
There could be an entire chapter, an epilogue after Marion settles down, where we go back to do these things that keep being discussed. Marion goes to therapy and King ends up joining him/taking over the session. This reminds me of when Bojack went to Diane’s therapist but couldn’t admit it was therapy then quit when the illusion broke. (That was a good episode). The other thing on the list is King finishing his story. It really could help Marion to see that things could be far worse than they are. I mean he’s a squirrel and the wrong gender but in less than 24 hours everyone knows and understands who is really is so to help. It took seven months before King got any kind of real help.
Attachments
IMG_2996.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 12608 times
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Well, there's also the whole gender thing...

But I'm surprised King didn't think of Tarot. The whole therapy suggestion seems to be something that he would go if all options were exhausted. He's not wrong with helping Marion find ways of coping, though.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

GameCobra wrote:Well, there's also the whole gender thing...

But I'm surprised King didn't think of Tarot. The whole therapy suggestion seems to be something that he would go if all options were exhausted. He's not wrong with helping Marion find ways of coping, though.
I think we are all looking at this in the same time frame that we're reading it. Individually the characters all know far less than we know as readers. And even the ones with more perspective (King and Fox) are only just learning about what's going on.

The way I see it, King heads down to the station after the call from Fox, likely hoping that his friend is mistaken and that it's not happening again to someone else. He doesn't trust Kitsune so he doesn't get him involved just yet. He doesn't know if this is real yet, so he doesn't want to wake Tarot or Sabrina or assumes Fido will do that. His comment about the need for therapy is an off-the-cuff remark that I doubt will be the subject of the next strip. It may come up someday, but the the immediate issue is figuring out how this happened and how to fix it.

Even if they fix Marion by noon, the kid is still going to need therapy, to be frank.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I agree with King, and is good that he understood all the situation, speaking from his experience, too. Marion needs a psychological assistance, also to prepare him to a permanent life as a squirrel... :? It's not good be so pessimistic, but I know that it's an eventuality to accept... :roll: And yeah, King probably needed it during his first years of being a dog. :| Well, be seventeen years-old is difficult, King, but it's curious to confuse Fox with your mom while remembering of it. :P What did you do? ;)
GameCobra wrote:But I'm surprised King didn't think of Tarot.
Yeah, as well as Fido didn't think to involve Sabrina...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It has been a while since we had a good-old fashioned King freakout. Now I feel like I am complete. :mrgreen:
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Well, there's also the whole gender thing...

I think we are all looking at this in the same time frame that we're reading it. Individually the characters all know far less than we know as readers. And even the ones with more perspective (King and Fox) are only just learning about what's going on.

The way I see it, King heads down to the station after the call from Fox, likely hoping that his friend is mistaken and that it's not happening again to someone else. He doesn't trust Kitsune so he doesn't get him involved just yet. He doesn't know if this is real yet, so he doesn't want to wake Tarot or Sabrina or assumes Fido will do that. His comment about the need for therapy is an off-the-cuff remark that I doubt will be the subject of the next strip. It may come up someday, but the the immediate issue is figuring out how this happened and how to fix it.

Even if they fix Marion by noon, the kid is still going to need therapy, to be frank.

There's a good chance King's also thinking that Kitsune lied to him about Pete and Dragon being out of the picture at this point. Other than not seeing them around, he really has no proof that Kitsune actually did anything with them.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A great next arc then would be for King to realize that his daughter is having a childhood crush on the reincarnation of the gryphon who took pleasure in trying to destroy his sanity. xD
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

On the subject of Marion going to therapy, I wonder how much King has disclosed about his own transformation or how long he's been a dog. Because I'm thinking that Marion is in a limbo right now and is in denial. He broke down and cried to Lois about "How am I supposed to get back to normal...?" so that tells me that he is actively thinking about how to change back which we have seen and it makes perfect sense that he would be thinking like that. BUT that also makes me think that in Marion's sleep-deprived mind, he's expecting King, Fox, and the rest to come up with a solution and be quick about it. So long rambling short, I don't think King has broken the news to Marion that this might be permanent and that he's going to have to accept that or as King said "Him being a squirrel just might be permeant and he needs to get used to it." How do even begin to explain that to someone more or less a teenager on the cuff of graduating high school? Off the cuff comment, yes but there is some heavy truth to what King said. Marion's going to need professional help to deal with the fact that his life is over in the span four hours from when he went to bed to when he woke up. In a special weird way, King was lucky to be a dog, corgi wouldn't be the most ideal breed but still, dogs hold more respect and dignity than a squirrel (and his gender stayed the same).

Marion: When are we going get started on finding a way to change me back?
King: Marion, I have some bad news. There is no way to change you back. You most likely are going to be a squirrel permanently.
Marion:.....I have exams tomorrow. Graduation is in two weeks.
King: Your life is over. We will help the best we can but I was a dog for five years before I got the chance to change back to human but chose to stay a dog. But since we don't know who or what changed you there is no telling how long this will take if there even is a chance at all.
Marion: No, that's not fair.
King: Nothing in life is fair. Your parents will never except you now even if they do believe that you are their son. Graduation is a pipe dream. College is out of the question. Lois will eventually move on. But on the bright side, you can now hang out with the rest of pets in the neighborhood and it not be weird (because apparently humans actually hanging out with pets is an impossibility in this world.) So you need to get used to being a foot tall and a girl because this is your life now.

Yeah that got dark fast but the point stands that no matter what this is NOT going to be a easy conversation to have.

To be more honest, Marion being 17 and a teenager isn't that relevant given the circumstances. Anyone would have a hard time adjusting to what King and Marion went through. Steward and Thomas handled it better but I think that was more convenience sake so not to waste time on them freaking out especially Thomas. King handled it better than most out of spite. His life already sucked so being a dog wasn't going to be a huge step down and I think he handled it as well as he did to spite Pete and show that the bird couldn't get to him but of course the inevitable happened.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that King would be that blunt but it would go something like that.

Also, Marion would tear around the interrogation room nearly giving himself a heart attack. :D
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
Yeah that got dark fast but the point stands that no matter what this is NOT going to be a easy conversation to have.

To be more honest, Marion being 17 and a teenager isn't that relevant given the circumstances. Anyone would have a hard time adjusting to what King and Marion went through. Steward and Thomas handled it better but I think that was more convenience sake so not to waste time on them freaking out especially Thomas. King handled it better than most out of spite. His life already sucked so being a dog wasn't going to be a huge step down and I think he handled it as well as he did to spite Pete and show that the bird couldn't get to him but of course the inevitable happened.
Yeah, even for King, that feels blunt and rushed. I think before he drops that little anvil of truth on him, King will want to at least investigate things a little. It would be flat out cruel to completely take hope away, even if it's all true. After all, King DID have a chance to turn back. That path might not work for Marion, but it doesn't mean this is forever.

Though, graduation and college are not pipe dreams, just delayed. King has connections with an organization set up perfectly to allow those things to happen.

I have wondered about Lois. She's only just learned that her boyfriend is a squirrel. Assuming this takes a while, how long does she realistically stick by his side? Or before Marion leaves her to absolve her of any obligation she feels to pause her life?

As for Steward and Thomas handling it better? Steward? Maybe. He seems to have at least accepted his fate to some degree. It's not impossible (though highly unlikely) that his missed opportunity to talk with Marion about the ECP was earnest. Thomas? We have no idea. We've seen no sign of him since he (I think accidently) transformed Steward. He yells that he'll end up in a zoo, but for all we know he was sent to the Middle East or something.

Edited to add a thought: If this was our universe, then even if Marion was turned into a talking squirrel his life would be over. There is no pathway to make even a slightly normal life out of that. But HP is a lot different. Sapient animals are normal, and it seems like some humans are at least willing to accept animals in greater positions than earlier in their history. Depending on what career Marion was angling for (he was planning on going to college, presumably he'd already been accepted) he might not even have to change career goals. So his life isn't exactly over, but it's certainly turned completely upside down and backwards. He's come across as reasonably level headed up to now. If he really is, then he might be able to salvage a surprising amount of his life.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:

Yeah, even for King, that feels blunt and rushed. I think before he drops that little anvil of truth on him, King will want to at least investigate things a little. It would be flat out cruel to completely take hope away, even if it's all true. After all, King DID have a chance to turn back. That path might not work for Marion, but it doesn't mean this is forever.
It's three in the morning, I feel like blunt and rushed would be justified although I did over exaggerate for dramatic effect. I do like the term "anvil of truth" and I might use that sometime. Would lying be more cruel though or giving false hope? Because Marion is going to need said "anvil of truth" and come to terms with the fact that his life is going to be much harder even from the most basic things of going home and talking to his parents.
What is permanence? Even if it isn't "forever," I think we've all agreed that Marion is not going to be human again for a long time so it is "permanent" for right now especially when there seems to be no information as to the why or how about the change.
dr_eirik wrote:Though, graduation and college are not pipe dreams, just delayed. King has connections with an organization set up perfectly to allow those things to happen.
That is still going to be an uphill battle and I don't know if King is going to got straight to Keene who tells him to go to Lana because she's in charge of the ECP and try to work out a deal of what to do with Marion. Even then though, Marion is losing a lot. He can't walk across the stage, and any college would be online. Let me tell you, it's not great.
dr_eirik wrote:I have wondered about Lois. She's only just learned that her boyfriend is a squirrel. Assuming this takes a while, how long does she realistically stick by his side? Or before Marion leaves her to absolve her of any obligation she feels to pause her life?
I doubt this would change any of her plans. She is going to college with or without Marion. If they planned to go to the same school then that sucks for him but I have a feeling that their relationship was over the moment summer ends anyway. She clearly cares for him but she is still 17 or 18 (who knows anymore).
dr_eirik wrote:Edited to add a thought: If this was our universe, then even if Marion was turned into a talking squirrel his life would be over. There is no pathway to make even a slightly normal life out of that. But HP is a lot different. Sapient animals are normal, and it seems like some humans are at least willing to accept animals in greater positions than earlier in their history. Depending on what career Marion was angling for (he was planning on going to college, presumably he'd already been accepted) he might not even have to change career goals. So his life isn't exactly over, but it's certainly turned completely upside down and backwards. He's come across as reasonably level headed up to now. If he really is, then he might be able to salvage a surprising amount of his life.
Career goals? He's a foot tall and smaller than his laptop. As far as level headed, I still believe that is his hope of changing back reasonably soon keeping him from spiraling considering his meltdown with Lois. He WILL come to accept his form and options but it will take time and we, the reader, might not even see it. I'm sure there will be more crying. Again I would be more prone to believe that he could salvage most of his life he was transformed into a different animal. Right now, excuse my bluntness, he's vermin. His own mother forced him out of the house with a broom so I doubt total strangers would be any more welcoming. Kevin chased him up a tree. If he was a dog, cat, or even higher up on the food chain, I would believe that he would have a better chance at a semi-normal life. His best hope for semi-normal is being able to sleep in his own bed at night. The Milton's may be able to hire him to do something but even I don't know what he could do but then again I don't think it will come to that. I personally think he will change back before he has to make any kind of grand career choice.

EVEN THEN, I don't anyone has asked what Marion wants to do. Once the anvil of truth is dropped on his head and he accepts life as a squirrel, he might not want to bother with college or use the ECP to help. Honestly, he doesn't need those things. King did because he was, you know, being held against his will. But Marion has a support system. Technically they don't need the Miltons to convince his parents of who he is and they seem more than capable enough to take care of a squirrel. So he'll basically be, and it is degrading even as i type this, their pet. And that's all he needs. He wants to be human, not live a human life as a squirrel. As sad as it may seem, that is his choice to just decide that life as a glorified pet is better for him than trying to salvage what he lost. If he does decide that, he'll need King more than ever because that was what King decided until Lana dropped that anvil of truth of "Oops, that isn't going to work anymore. you got to get a job."
Argent

Post by Argent »

dr_eirik wrote:Edited to add a thought: If this was our universe, then even if Marion was turned into a talking squirrel his life would be over.
Depends on whether he gets a trustworthy agent or not, I would think.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: It's three in the morning, I feel like blunt and rushed would be justified although I did over exaggerate for dramatic effect. I do like the term "anvil of truth" and I might use that sometime. Would lying be more cruel though or giving false hope? Because Marion is going to need said "anvil of truth" and come to terms with the fact that his life is going to be much harder even from the most basic things of going home and talking to his parents.
What is permanence? Even if it isn't "forever," I think we've all agreed that Marion is not going to be human again for a long time so it is "permanent" for right now especially when there seems to be no information as to the why or how about the change.
I'm not thinking that they hide the truth from him, but frankly no one in the building knows what the truth is at the moment. Since I don't think they are even aware of Thomas or Steward, their sample size of transformed humans is exactly one. Dropping that on Marion right away seems cruel.

You are right that this is, for all practical purposes, permanent. Even if he gets changed back eventually, it seems like it's going to be a while. Its going to derail his life no matter what. Heck, it might do that even if he turns back in the next two weeks (missing finals, not graduating, having to delay college...)
fenrirblack wrote: That is still going to be an uphill battle and I don't know if King is going to got straight to Keene who tells him to go to Lana because she's in charge of the ECP and try to work out a deal of what to do with Marion. Even then though, Marion is losing a lot. He can't walk across the stage, and any college would be online. Let me tell you, it's not great.
But it's not like King and Lana don't know each other. King could help with an introduction if it comes to that. And I suspect she is well aware of the antics around the Temple, so dealing with this might not be so weird. Thing is, that is still a "later" problem. We might see Rick jump ahead to that at some point, but it feels like there is a lot of stuff the characters still need to sort out "now".
fenrirblack wrote: I doubt this would change any of her plans. She is going to college with or without Marion. If they planned to go to the same school then that sucks for him but I have a feeling that their relationship was over the moment summer ends anyway. She clearly cares for him but she is still 17 or 18 (who knows anymore).
I think I was thinking of his relationship with her, not her plans for college/career. Those she can stray on track for if she wants. But how does she, for example, allow the masquerade with Marion as her pet before she decides she needs to move on?
fenrirblack wrote: Career goals? He's a foot tall and smaller than his laptop. As far as level headed, I still believe that is his hope of changing back reasonably soon keeping him from spiraling considering his meltdown with Lois. He WILL come to accept his form and options but it will take time and we, the reader, might not even see it. I'm sure there will be more crying. Again I would be more prone to believe that he could salvage most of his life he was transformed into a different animal. Right now, excuse my bluntness, he's vermin. His own mother forced him out of the house with a broom so I doubt total strangers would be any more welcoming. Kevin chased him up a tree. If he was a dog, cat, or even higher up on the food chain, I would believe that he would have a better chance at a semi-normal life. His best hope for semi-normal is being able to sleep in his own bed at night. The Milton's may be able to hire him to do something but even I don't know what he could do but then again I don't think it will come to that. I personally think he will change back before he has to make any kind of grand career choice.
To be fair about his mother, she would have had no reason to beleive a random animal of any type in her house claiming to be her son. If Marion had turned into a cat, she'd have showed it out, too. If he'd ended up a mountain lion, she'd have called animal control.

As for accommodations, I can't imagine that in a universe where sapient animals are a thing down to the size of mice that there is nothing like a correct size keyboard for him. The solution here really is how and even if Rick wants to depict it.

It is an interesting notion that Marion might just decide to jettison the part of his life that made up human goals and "go native". I could easily see that as something of a future rock bottom where he takes off into the woods or something after one too many roadblocks derail his attempt at normalcy. Or he becomes too comfortable just hanging around the house all day.

There also might be the partial reason why his age turned out to be 17. For at least a couple weels or months, assuming that his parents can be made to believe and accept this, then they might be able to force the issue. What they force? Hard to say. There is a lot of story to go.
Champion Wallace

Cesco wrote:
GameCobra wrote:But I'm surprised King didn't think of Tarot.
Yeah, as well as Fido didn't think to involve Sabrina...
Fido has been to skeptical that Marion is who he says he is to involve Sabrina. Even if he gave her a call the moment he admitted to himself Marion was the squirrel, there would've have been enough time for her to show up (barring future sight because Tarot's power has dwindled and it's unclear if Sabrina could ever do that).
fenrirblack wrote:King: Nothing in life is fair. Your parents will never except you now even if they do believe that you are their son. Graduation is a pipe dream. College is out of the question. Lois will eventually move on. But on the bright side, you can now hang out with the rest of pets in the neighborhood and it not be weird (because apparently humans actually hanging out with pets is an impossibility in this world.) So you need to get used to being a foot tall and a girl because this is your life now.
Why are you harshing on his parents? Lois and Fido didn't believe him but now do. If anything, his parents are the most likely people to support him once they get an explanation.
fenrirblack wrote:To be more honest, Marion being 17 and a teenager isn't that relevant given the circumstances.
Aren't you the one who wants to know all the details even if they're irrelevant :)?
fenrirblack wrote:Would lying be more cruel though or giving false hope?
It's hard to clarify either statement as truth or lies because they simply don't know too much about what's going on. All they've established is it's not Pete which doesn't help them very much.
fenrirblack wrote:She clearly cares for him but she is still 17 or 18 (who knows anymore).
Why so melodramatic? We knew they were both 17 or 18 ever since we learned they were seniors in high school. This strip doesn't give us any new information about Lois's age.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not to mention, there are cases of several people who end up being high-school sweethearts and end up staying together through college and eventually get married. It really isn't that rare that it happens. It just might not happen for anyone you know.