2019/09/23 - Teach The Children Well

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2019/09/23 - Teach The Children Well

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You know, when I was in high school I was allowed to get to class a few minutes late if I had to go to my locker in order to get books and put other books back. That way I wasn't lugging books for 7 periods of the day (minus breakfast and home room). I wonder if Marion could get that at least temporarily.

Of course, I had an IEP and it was written into it so he might not be able to himself.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I think that things are going to steadily get worse more Marion as the day progresses.
Let’s look at what has happened so far. Miles tells the entire school who he is effectively triggering a domino effect. Bronson calls him an inhuman abomination and tries to swipe Lois. Mr. Porter doesn’t believe who he is and gives him a tardy slip effectively removing him from the class for the day. The whole VP thing strikes me as odd. I don’t know if that is what they did at Rick’s high school but it doesn’t make any sense in the real world or the comic unless Marion is going to get grief from the vice principal now. There has to be a point to him going to the office. And that point must be to harass Marion while explaining the power the Miltons have over the school or what strings they pulled to get everyone there to “believe” or at least “accept” that Marion Ward is now a squirrel.

Random thought, this would be a good time to have Marion meet the cubs. The cubs have to be freshmen and Marion is a senior so they would never meet under regular circumstances but if one of them was also sent to the VP office then there you go. I hope it’s North Star because we haven’t seen him in a little less than a year.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

fenrirblack wrote:I think that things are going to steadily get worse more Marion as the day progresses.
Let’s look at what has happened so far. Miles tells the entire school who he is effectively triggering a domino effect. Bronson calls him an inhuman abomination and tries to swipe Lois. Mr. Porter doesn’t believe who he is and gives him a tardy slip effectively removing him from the class for the day. The whole VP thing strikes me as odd. I don’t know if that is what they did at Rick’s high school but it doesn’t make any sense in the real world or the comic unless Marion is going to get grief from the vice principal now. There has to be a point to him going to the office. And that point must be to harass Marion while explaining the power the Miltons have over the school or what strings they pulled to get everyone there to “believe” or at least “accept” that Marion Ward is now a squirrel.

Random thought, this would be a good time to have Marion meet the cubs. The cubs have to be freshmen and Marion is a senior so they would never meet under regular circumstances but if one of them was also sent to the VP office then there you go. I hope it’s North Star because we haven’t seen him in a little less than a year.
Maybe next he gets detention hall - well, he'll make new (and more inquisitive) friends. ("A Squirrel? Wow, like can you help me change into a narwhale, man?!")
Argent

Post by Argent »

So, which member of The Breakfast Club is Marion? I think he's probably a Brian.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

NHWestoN wrote:Maybe next he gets detention hall - well, he'll make new (and more inquisitive) friends. ("A Squirrel? Wow, like can you help me change into a narwhale, man?!")
Never occurred to me, but i would love it if it turned out to be Bino and Maxwell. Seems right up Rick's alley :3

Though i think that's a huge stretch.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Frank

Post by Frank »

Pumkin6 wrote:John Oliver: Our main story tonight concerns animal transformations, the unexplained phenomenon that completely changes a person's life. Unsurprisingly, the current systems we have in the United States are somewhat unequiped to deal with this new problem. So tonight we're going to look at what happens when you suddenly turn into an animal, the problems that the victims face in everyday life, and what can be done to help.
And if you don't know where this is headed, you clearly have never watched this show
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have never watched the show so please tell me where it is going.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ditto.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver is a weekly new show, however most of each episode is dedicated to a deep dive on a random subject, such as the debt buying industry, or radioactive waste. Stuff that most people don't think about, but are filled with systemic problems. The first quote is how John Oliver would introduce one of the topics. The second quote is something John Oliver says right before announcing they did something stupidly expensive , like when the made a mascot for the Japanese city of Susaki and flew a person with the suit there to walk around.
fenrirblack wrote:Okay, I'm not the only one who sees it right?
All things considered, I think he looks more like this guy.
I think that face might be Rick Griffin's go-to old dude face.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Either that or Babylon Gardens just might have a high population of German natives that immigrated at different times. =3
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Pumkin6 wrote:John Oliver: Our main story tonight concerns animal transformations, the unexplained phenomenon that completely changes a person's life. Unsurprisingly, the current systems we have in the United States are somewhat unequiped to deal with this new problem. So tonight we're going to look at what happens when you suddenly turn into an animal, the problems that the victims face in everyday life, and what can be done to help.
For this hypothetical joke, is it more effective for John to stay human, or should we consider what John Oliver's fursona would be? I'm thinking platypus, kinda stupid looking, can't really be separated from their country of origin, can't picture them killing something without poison
Champion Wallace

I think if would be more funny if John Oliver was still human because of the contrast, but for his hypothetical fursona there was one time when he talked at length about how he's not a horse, but if he was a horse what he would do as a horse, including the phrase "...John Oliver the horse...". However, the obvious answer would be a red-billed hornbill.
dr_eirik wrote:I do wonder a little if Marion is throwing around the Miltons name, or if he was told to do that.
We know this isn't his first class so he's had a chance to test an approach on his previous teacher. I don't think anyone explicitly told him to invoke the Milton name, but I don't think anyone told him not to.
Ash Greytree wrote:The introduction of these named characters, including faculty, has me thinking of a different arc that could take place in the future. Marion graduates successfully but sticks around Babylon Gardens and stays kinda-sorta the focal point of the story, with side arcs that center around different characters to serve as breathers. An arc following Rockstar and Sanchez going through some time at school (since they seem like here on their junior year at most and wouldn’t be graduating alongside Marion) would be fun. Mr. Porter could be their homeroom teacher and Bronson could be there cause he got held back a year; he definitely seems like the type for that :lol:
Bronson at least I think was named just to be another gag. I haven't figured out anything with Mr. Porter's name, but it might be there so we don't ask.
fenrirblack wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:You know Squirrels are really fast little things, right?
I know they’re fast, but Marion probably has to duck and weave so he doesn’t get squished. He could possibly do parkour all on top of the lockers to get where he needs to go, like Frank mentioned, but I don’t think he’s anywhere near practiced enough to do that at this point.
Speed is relative when you are walking on two legs compared to four. He needs Lois to carry him on her shoulder like Pikachu.
That would only work well if they have the same classes. I hope they aren't that kind of boyfriend/girlfriend.
fenrirblack wrote:Random thought, this would be a good time to have Marion meet the cubs. The cubs have to be freshmen and Marion is a senior so they would never meet under regular circumstances but if one of them was also sent to the VP office then there you go. I hope it’s North Star because we haven’t seen him in a little less than a year.
Is that because you think any time is a good time for Marion to meet the cubs? :roll:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

To be fair to Fenrir, when would be a bad time to introduce him to the cubs?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Gameb18oy wrote:To be fair to Fenrir, when would be a bad time to introduce him to the cubs?
Perhaps just before lunch?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:To be fair to Fenrir, when would be a bad time to introduce him to the cubs?
Jokes aside, let’s be real. Marion is a student so if Miles and Lucretia know about him then the others must know as well including the cubs. The cubs have access to real food so there wouldn’t be a need to eat Marion, Marion being a squirrel wouldn’t be worth it because of his size and lack of meat, the cubs have been apart of human society for a while so I doubt hunting would be on their radar anymore.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
Jokes aside, let’s be real. Marion is a student so if Miles and Lucretia know about him then the others must know as well including the cubs. The cubs have access to real food so there wouldn’t be a need to eat Marion, Marion being a squirrel wouldn’t be worth it because of his size and lack of meat, the cubs have been apart of human society for a while so I doubt hunting would be on their radar anymore.
It's funny to think that, up to this point, the only real physical threats that Marion has faced have been Kevin and Lois. And if he has any natural trepidation about being near wolves or dogs, that's gone away (since now he's been in the room with three dogs and now a wolf.)

No, other than the possibility of one of the cubs pranking Marion, they really aren't a threat. I think he'd have more to worry about from possible human enemies than anyone else.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
It's funny to think that, up to this point, the only real physical threats that Marion has faced have been Kevin and Lois. And if he has any natural trepidation about being near wolves or dogs, that's gone away (since now he's been in the room with three dogs and now a wolf.)

No, other than the possibility of one of the cubs pranking Marion, they really aren't a threat. I think he'd have more to worry about from possible human enemies than anyone else.
We'll see what happens once he starts interacting with the other pets. The cats could also be a problem not to mention the more "undisciplined" dogs. Then there is still predatory birds.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:

We'll see what happens once he starts interacting with the other pets. The cats could also be a problem not to mention the more "undisciplined" dogs. Then there is still predatory birds.
I think Marion will be okay with Maxwell, Grape, and Sabrina. Max hasn’t been very good at hunting, Sabrina might hunt him but she’d have Fido patch him up, and while Grape did kill the Marxist mouse, she did do an Imaginate with the mice so she might just attack those she perceives as a threat. The Bigglesworths might be an issue as their mom keeps miscounting them so they don’t always get fed, so they might need to hunt to supplement their food.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't even think that Sabrina would be an issue because since she and Tarot still have some residual power left over from when Dragon was using them for the game, I think Sabrina would be able to sense that Marion was a human.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't even think that Sabrina would be an issue because since she and Tarot still have some residual power left over from when Dragon was using them for the game, I think Sabrina would be able to sense that Marion was a human.
I suspect that, by now, Fido has at least told her what's going on. Sabrina was also the one that brought Spo to Fido so that she wouldn't have to kill him at her owners request. Tarot doesn't strike me as a squirrel chaser. Even if either were inclined to chase Marion, seeing him with the necklace and/or clothes likely will dampen that.

I'm actually surprised that whole end of things hasn't even come up yet. This is, what, three days since his transformation and about one day since he was discovered. Has no one talked to anyone with greater familiarity to the mystical side of things yet?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think so but I am sure we will get to that at some point.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't think so but I am sure we will get to that at some point.

Well, eventually, the question of "How'd yah get tah be a squirrel, Marion?" might return. But then, maybe Rick's going to save that for a future saga and turn to a different topic when he's finished with Marion's adjustment adventures.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't think so but I am sure we will get to that at some point.

Well, eventually, the question of "How'd yah get tah be a squirrel, Marion?" might return. But then, maybe Rick's going to save that for a future saga and turn to a different topic when he's finished with Marion's adjustment adventures.
That's actually a good way to end the "adjustment adventures." Marion is done with school blah blah blah, King, Fox, and the rest check on him. They take him to Tarot and Sabrina and maybe Kitsune. They tell him that "oops nothing we can do. this is a pickle isn't it?" Then someone asks the obvious question of "Who or what could do this?" THEN we transition to the source of the transformation or at least see what Steward has been up to.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I'm enjoying this arc, but I'm just surprised King didn't bring up a reason they aren't talking to the mystical experts. Kitsune be the best one for helping, but I'll give the fact that it's not very clear if King knows where to talk to him (assuming he's still got the statue) and while Kitsune likes him, its pretty obvious King doesn't like any of the demigods. He's on decent terms with Tarot and Sabrina though, so you'd think he'd have brought them along to see Marion to see if they'd have some idea how this happened. Its kinda hard to ignore that detail when the writer is refusing to even acknowledge the elements that could solve the problem with a possible literal snap of their fingers aren't even being glanced. I kinda was hoping Rick would show Kitsune can't reverse this currently at least as the curse was Pete's doing or something. Maybe even acknowledge that Kitsune has some growing up to do just like Dragon and Pete.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking that they didn't go to Tarot and Sabrina because they wanted to set up Marion in the ECP program first so that he would be able to do parts of what he did before he was transformed. After the school day, I'm pretty sure Tarot and Sabrina will come in somewhere.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gameb18oy wrote:I'm enjoying this arc, but I'm just surprised King didn't bring up a reason they aren't talking to the mystical experts. Kitsune be the best one for helping, but I'll give the fact that it's not very clear if King knows where to talk to him (assuming he's still got the statue) and while Kitsune likes him, its pretty obvious King doesn't like any of the demigods. He's on decent terms with Tarot and Sabrina though, so you'd think he'd have brought them along to see Marion to see if they'd have some idea how this happened. Its kinda hard to ignore that detail when the writer is refusing to even acknowledge the elements that could solve the problem with a possible literal snap of their fingers aren't even being glanced. I kinda was hoping Rick would show Kitsune can't reverse this currently at least as the curse was Pete's doing or something. Maybe even acknowledge that Kitsune has some growing up to do just like Dragon and Pete.
I think King's attitude towards the Celestials is "Avoid at all costs!"
You know, Kitsune and Peanut seem very friendly - wonder if Peanut could be persuaded to bring GK into this mess?
Somehow … dunno why … I get the feeling Thomas Milton-now-a-camel is going to get drawn into this whirlwind.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Thomas gets wind that there was another human to animal transformation or finds out about King and how he used to be Joel, then yeah I can see him taking part in this arc even if it is just a cameo at the local zoo. XD
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Thomas gets wind that there was another human to animal transformation or finds out about King and how he used to be Joel, then yeah I can see him taking part in this arc even if it is just a cameo at the local zoo. XD
I certainly wouldn't mind finding out what happened to Thomas, but I also wouldn't be upset if he just kinda disappears. Though I'm not sure that he ever knew anything about Joel/King. It's far more likely that he'd hear about the new squirrel on the news, which might pique his interest but I'm not sure he'd care all that much unless he heard Marion was cured.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Thomas gets wind that there was another human to animal transformation or finds out about King and how he used to be Joel, then yeah I can see him taking part in this arc even if it is just a cameo at the local zoo. XD
I certainly wouldn't mind finding out what happened to Thomas, but I also wouldn't be upset if he just kinda disappears. Though I'm not sure that he ever knew anything about Joel/King. It's far more likely that he'd hear about the new squirrel on the news, which might pique his interest but I'm not sure he'd care all that much unless he heard Marion was cured.
I feel the same way. I have very neutral feelings towards Thomas. Ironically it was when Thomas got turned into a camel was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of Housepets and what peeked my interest in the series. I owe Thomas a lot.
I can only think of two things that happened to him. A, he did end up in the River Ridge Zoo or B, The ferret's are taking care of him like he's a prized steed or something. I honestly hope its the later because despite how Thomas has treated the ferrets he's still family (I couldn't get through that with a straight face). Plus there is actually more reason for Keene and Co. to want to keep him close at hand. One, if he blabs that he used to be a human and points hooves at the Miltons for turning him into a camel that would be bad especially now that the Marion news broke. Two, he's still dangerous in his own way. Not Steward level dangerous but still keep your enemies close. Three, if they are sadistic enough it would be fun to watch the man who tried to rob them twice literally eat out of their paws and suffer incredible humiliation at their whims. Four, the family thing again.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When you put it like that, I'm thinking that maybe he was at the zoo but the Milton's got wind off what happened and everything he did and bought him because they wanna prove they are better hearted than him but caring for him as a family member and also it would be their version of a punishment for him.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder if he's in the same pen/cage/range with Sophie? Maybe she's learning English or his Arabic has improved.
Champion Wallace

trekkie wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:

I think Marion will be okay with Maxwell, Grape, and Sabrina. Max hasn’t been very good at hunting, Sabrina might hunt him but she’d have Fido patch him up, and while Grape did kill the Marxist mouse, she did do an Imaginate with the mice so she might just attack those she perceives as a threat. The Bigglesworths might be an issue as their mom keeps miscounting them so they don’t always get fed, so they might need to hunt to supplement their food.
Sabrina's a pacifist. She didn't eat a mouse when she had it in a box and was told to. There is no chance Sabrina would intentionally harm Marion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is a bit concerning that Stanley doesn't really know Sabrina wouldn't eat a mouse. He needs to spend more time with her somehow.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:It is a bit concerning that Stanley doesn't really know Sabrina wouldn't eat a mouse. He needs to spend more time with her somehow.
She might hide that aspect of herself from him, perhaps fearing that she won't look as useful to him if she isn't willing to keep the house cleared of pests.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Somehow I don't think that Stanley would care about that and if he was around more and bonded a bit, I'm sure she would open up and tell him.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote: Sabrina's a pacifist. She didn't eat a mouse when she had it in a box and was told to. There is no chance Sabrina would intentionally harm Marion.
By the way, speaking of that mouse in a box, I very much miss Spo. I get the sense Rick has intentionally been keeping him out of the comic as it's hard to develop Fido with that tiny bundle of sass and stupidity on his head. I'm conflicted on how I feel about that if I'm right about the why, as Fido is definitely one of the oldest characters who needs the development... but on the same note he's tends to be fairly boring without Spo around.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There should be a way for Rick to develop them both together because at some point Spo needs to mature but can still keep some parts of his personality and the friendship between him and Fido as well as develop them apart and making Spo interact with others so he can have more to do.