2019/10/02 - Zoo Review

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/10/02 - Zoo Review

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/10/02 - Zoo Review]
Title Text: get in the bag, loser, we're going to the zoo

As Ms. Frizzle would say, "to the bus!"
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2019/10/02 - Zoo Review

Post by Gbr23 »

Oooohhhh I see where this is going... and I'm smiling
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

You think the camel (I forgot his name) would even want to talk about it?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This should be an interesting conversation. Hopefully we will get some clues as to how this happened? Maybe mentioning the treasure will trigger something.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

So knowledge of this is spreading,
throughout the world of the Gardens;
seeing Lois here deciding to gamble
before Marion’s depression hardens.
Lana knows who a certain Camel was?
I wonder if she ever told Keene?
I think how the Ferrets treated him
is something I’d like to have seen…
He’s working on how to do Squirrel now,
and he’s started to get the poise;
one thing he hasn’t found yet, though,
is where he can find the joys...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Got to love the reference for this one.
And Marion, you picked a good one, she's very smart. Guess he literally did go to the zoo and the Milton's know where he is as well. On to theorizing time... I can't believe this never came to mind till now, but what if Thomas grabbed more than one coin? What specifically happened to Marion is about to be revealed.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, so we are going to Zoo again, YAY! Lois does know about King, good to know. We are going to see Thomas, UHH what? I really thought we would never see him again. I don't think Marion is putting his clothes back on. That did not last long. Also I guess classes are over for the day or are we giving up on school? Actually judging from Lois's comment about the zoo closing, school must be over for the day. But it still sounds like Marion has given up after one day.

It's important to know to two things are about to happen now that Detective Lois is on the case. First this is becoming a lot like Detective Pikachu. Second is that Thomas is going to spill the beans about the coin and point out that Steward, the badger Marion met, has said magic coin. The possibilities are wide open.

Marion is getting really good at using his claws. He even has climbing down a tree head first.

Marion is deeply unhappy and frustrated. I don't know if I would call Lois telling Marion to get in her bag because they're going to the zoo tough love, sympathy, or anything. I want to say it's tough love because either she wants to show Marion that things could be worse or she could just want to get info from Thomas about how he changed and how to change Marion back.

I don't think this arc is going to end when I expected it too.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

From the looks of that last panel, at least Marion's starting to get used to using his claws for climbing.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Was there a time skip and the bathroom scene was after school instead of after lunch, or are those two skipping finals?
Gameb18oy wrote:Got to love the reference for this one.
And that is? I can't figure out anything with the Title Text.
The cape comes with the promotion.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Into the bag, small little squirrel,
Off to the zoo you go
Now go and talk to Thomas,
The answers he might know.

Lois, I'm really thankful,
That you'll see him through
Although you think he's crazy,
But, well, whatever can you do?

I think we're going to the zoo
To talk with one Karishad Fox
Or maybe I'm mistaken and
A talk with Thomas is on the rocks.

Whatever happens, though, Marion,
I know you'll have the strength
To make it through all the rough patches
That'll force you to great length.

[In other words, no, they're not taking applications for squirrels, you're too nuts, Marion.]
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Champion Wallace wrote:Was there a time skip and the bathroom scene was after school instead of after lunch, or are those two skipping finals?
Gameb18oy wrote:Got to love the reference for this one.
And that is? I can't figure out anything with the Title Text.
Its a reference to the movie Mean Girls. Namely the line "Get in loser, we're going shopping." Edit: Slightly wrong on the line the first time
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Lois has a plan... And it's not to let Marion give up.

I wonder if Thomas has had offspring yet?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

If this impromptu trip does lead back to Steward that would put Lois in dangerous transformation territory (Which I'll be honest is very exciting). If Lois did get changed it would help Marion adjust to have someone familiar with his situation help him out (since King is apparently not doing anything) and give more reason for the other students to believe the story. Not to mention Lois's no-nonsense approach to things would be beneficial to Marion's "woe is me" attitude.

Marion, if I'm being blunt, being unhappy about life and not knowing where you where you stand in the world at large is literally something every teenager goes through. It has less to do with being a squirrel and more to do with being in high school, or college, or post graduate. That is life. You still have options. Keene found jobs for all the wolves and can do it for you as well but you have to choose to strive to make that decision to find your own path and follow it wherever it leads. Running away and hiding is not going to help.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

fenrirblack wrote:If this impromptu trip does lead back to Steward that would put Lois in dangerous transformation territory (Which I'll be honest is very exciting). If Lois did get changed it would help Marion adjust to have someone familiar with his situation help him out (since King is apparently not doing anything) and give more reason for the other students to believe the story. Not to mention Lois's no-nonsense approach to things would be beneficial to Marion's "woe is me" attitude.

Marion, if I'm being blunt, being unhappy about life and not knowing where you where you stand in the world at large is literally something every teenager goes through. It has less to do with being a squirrel and more to do with being in high school, or college, or post graduate. That is life. You still have options. Keene found jobs for all the wolves and can do it for you as well but you have to choose to strive to make that decision to find your own path and follow it wherever it leads. Running away and hiding is not going to help.
Well, if they talk to Thomas, he's likely to mention his former partner, Steward, and then back up a different tree we go!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I know Thomas is a camel, but I see a drama-llama in the near future.

Also, why would zoo close before school gets out? Wouldn't that just prevent them from getting a good business day?
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

NHWestoN wrote:Well, if they talk to Thomas, he's likely to mention his former partner, Steward, and then back up a different tree we go!
If anything, Thomas would be downright eager to give any information that he has. Any progress towards getting Marion his humanity back would be a way out for Thomas too.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Ain't it always exciting when the new characters meet with old characters we haven't seen in along time? Woot!
Saturn381 wrote:You think the camel (I forgot his name) would even want to talk about it?
Yeah, I had to look it up too when I thought of it a few weeks ago and realized I didn't remember either. XD
Man, I'm a disaster with names!
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Lana knows who a certain Camel was?
I wonder if she ever told Keene?
Oh, he knew.
I actually wonder why he never told her about the badger thing as well.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Let's take a moment to break down each panel.

Panel 1: Marion's comment is frustrating for a number of reasons. First off that he's essentially sounds like he's given up after one day and as much as it sounds like he's still lamenting over his situation, he needs to be sat down and given some tough love or King's suggestion therapy. Props for Lois for not being sucked into his pity party and I know its hard for him. I mean he's lost a lot including his size, stature, gender but crying and complaining in a tree is not going to get those things back. I understand and I sympathize with him, Lois sympathizes with him, King sympathizes with him but life does suck and we have to adapt and change. That is the very nature of being alive. The thing is, you cannot give up hope. You don't want to be an animal fine. According to the poll, a lot of people don't. But if don't want to be stuck like this, then make a choice to find a solution to change back and in the meantime adapt and thrive with what you have.
The whole "no one can fit..." is untrue. Ten years ago, you could say the same thing about Miles and Gale and look at them now. The ECP is there to help him and already has. The problem is, its not enough for him because of the very nature of high school and society are throwing walls in his face.
Even the "living as animals now" statement is inaccurate. Yes, they are technically BUT that is only how you perceive it. You could say they are living as animals because they are animals but King is living as a human like the rest of the wolves. Thomas and Stewards are living as "animals" because of their circumstances. Not only are they wanted fugitives for whatever crimes you want to charge them with, but Thomas has no fingers and is a quadruped so sucks to be him. Steward can't show his muzzle to the Miltons or crawl back to them for help. King is better off than what he was before and chose to remain a dog because he knew he was happier and freer as one. Marion is in a completely different situation than the other three so you can't compare them to the rest. Marion could live just like any other human (or animal if they chose too) if he was willing to adapt which we have already seen is possible.
Even as far as hiccups go, we have not seen a lot. People don't believe him, so what? People don't believe the Earth his round. People will slowly come around and it's not like its interfering with his school work. He has small legs. That can be handled. He has trouble using the bathroom, don't hit yourself in the forehead for starters and ask how the other animals use a toilet when they are that small.

Panel 2: So Lois is in the loop about King which begs the question of who else is? Thomas is at the Zoo which as I've pointed out in the past in problematic for a number of reasons. I'm sure we'll see a few of those soon.
Lois seems to have a plan. The question is if that plan is to show Marion that things could be worse or to get information from another therianthriope or both. Showing Marion that things could be worse for him wouldn't be a bad idea. Thomas is in bad way depending on how you perceive living at a zoo. Showing Marion that he still has options which is more than Thomas could go a long way to get him out of this depressive episode.

Panel 3: Picking up from Panel 2, I do want to say that Lois's reaction is not the best scenario but the most efficient. Marion needs some tough love which hopefully will come later. He needs sympathy and understanding which for what its worth, he does have. I said before people understand him. It is hard for him to cope because these things will take time to fully embrace his new circumstances. BUT wallowing and complaining is not going to help which is why Lois's idea is useful. Marion needs to be moving towards acceptance and needs Lois and the others to propel him down that path. If it was me, I would sit him down and talk to him first, but we are going to skip that and move ahead. Hopefully the talk with Thomas and Steward can help Marion find closure.
I get that it's a joke but the fact that Marion doesn't seem to catch on to Lois's plan makes me wonder about him.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanexan

Post by Kanexan »

So Thomas, Steward, King, and now Marion are all humans changed to animals. The first three required direct (semi-)divine intervention, but neither Pete nor Dragon have their powers anymore, and I'd be surprised to find Kitsune to have gotten involved—seems both too cruel and far too straightforward for him, although he is in Babylon Gardens a lot nowadays. There's no cursed gold left; Thomas only had the one piece on him, and Steward we know still has the coin on him. So either this is something completely new (in which case none of the other three will be any help, save perhaps moral support from King), Kitsune has had a pretty big shift in his behavior and is now randomly tormenting a high-schooler for kicks, or there's a new, possibly malicious demigod on the scene...
Dallas is my spirit animal.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Oh, there's plenty of the cursed gold left. It didn't disintegrate when the temple collapsed, I think...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Oh, there's plenty of the cursed gold left. It didn't disintegrate when the temple collapsed, I think...
We still don't know what happened to the gold. Remember that the temple itself was magical and a pocket dimension. Henry Milton literally moved the temple from the desert to his backyard and was activated by Zach which created the magic space distortion. When the magic was drained and collapsed the underground portions most likely ceased to exist. If you moved all that rubble would you find a giant labyrinth or just dirt?
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Well, this is all turning out interesting. I wonder if we'll end up with a group-meet of former humans trying to sort a way back (for some of them, since King's happy as-is).
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
Kanexan

Post by Kanexan »

fenrirblack wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Oh, there's plenty of the cursed gold left. It didn't disintegrate when the temple collapsed, I think...
We still don't know what happened to the gold. Remember that the temple itself was magical and a pocket dimension. Henry Milton literally moved the temple from the desert to his backyard and was activated by Zach which created the magic space distortion. When the magic was drained and collapsed the underground portions most likely ceased to exist. If you moved all that rubble would you find a giant labyrinth or just dirt?
And even if all the underground parts still exist, they're pretty solidly buried under the collapsed temple; it's pretty unlikely Marion would be in a position to come in contact with cursed gold under a thousand tons of dirt and stone in the middle of a forest.
Dallas is my spirit animal.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Kanexan wrote:I'd be surprised to find Kitsune to have gotten involved—seems both too cruel and far too straightforward for him, so either Kitsune has had a pretty big shift in his behavior and is now randomly tormenting a high-schooler for kicks, or there's a new, possibly malicious demigod on the scene...
This right here is why I'm expecting Eudoant. He's the only one left who could have the kind of power to do this, and we still have loose ends connected to him.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

D-Rock wrote:[2019/10/02 - Zoo Review]
Title Text: get in the bag, loser, we're going to the zoo
As Ms. Frizzle would say, "to the bus!"
"Please let this be a normal field trip."
"Around here? No way!"
Llor Drei

Post by Llor Drei »

I'm still holding out hope that Ratatoskr, the messenger squirrel of the Norse gods might be involved with things, from a celestial perspective here, but, not the author, so don't hold me to it.

Also, I'm honestly hoping Sofia is reforming Thomas into being more of a good person... not necessarily reforming him, but making him more of a good-guy rogue, like Evelyn reforming Rick in The Mummy... just more camel-ish. Would love to see his camel character, Sofia by his side, as animal adventurers, as he has adjusted to his new form, and actually fallen for her. Again, not the author, but crossing my fingers.

Finally, don't forget... Thomas didn't just touch a gold coin to transform. He threw out a full, small, sack-full of gold coins past the threshold of the treasure room to Sofia before the curse took effect, so there could be anywhere from twenty to fifty, more or less, coins out there. Just because Sofia nosed the sack back in, they never emptied it. And, beyond that, even, if they didn't claim the sack, which it doesn't show if Thomas was able to retrieve the sack as he was dragged back out, but is not beyond possibility, giving his roguish tendencies, it is shown that a rock hit the remaining pile of gold coins, sending several flying for the entrance, so one or more could have escaped before the chamber collapsed.

In fact, the sack, which should have been just within the doorway, is not seen at all as Sofia drags Thomas out of the chamber, so there is, again, another possibility a third party could have gotten the sack of gold while they were distracted with the transformation scrolls in the treasure chamber, most likely an animal, due to the properties of the gold, and this third party, whoever they could be, might be spreading coins around, to lead to even more havoc among the humans, deliberately or unknowingly, as they could give someone a gold coin, walk away, and it's shown it takes a few moments for the curse to take effect. Should this be the case, I can think of one likely suspect, but I'll keep this idea to myself, so as not to influence things, should this be an actual future plot.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Kanexan wrote:There's no cursed gold left; Thomas only had the one piece on him
We do not know that.

Thomas told Steward the coin he spat into his hands was *his share*.

That really does suggest Thomas kept a coin as his own share as well.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Mr. Whisper wrote:
Kanexan wrote:I'd be surprised to find Kitsune to have gotten involved—seems both too cruel and far too straightforward for him, so either Kitsune has had a pretty big shift in his behavior and is now randomly tormenting a high-schooler for kicks, or there's a new, possibly malicious demigod on the scene...
This right here is why I'm expecting Eudoant. He's the only one left who could have the kind of power to do this, and we still have loose ends connected to him.
I don't think it would be Eudoant as what would he gain from turning someone into a animal?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

fenrirblack wrote:You don't want to be an animal fine. According to the poll, a lot of people don't.
The thing about the poll is it was asking if you would voluntarily change into an animal for life.

How people would handle an involuntary transformation is a different question. I like to think that I'd be highly motivated to figure out how to continue living my life. I suck at maths too much to be an engineer professionally, but I'm always designing and building things to make my life easier. I've been coming up with ideas for what Marion could be doing as I've been reading along.

Legs too small? Use an RC car to get around (fit flashing yellow lights to it to make sure people notice you're there.) Toilets too big? Build yourself a portaloo with a tiny chemical toilet and leave it at school. Struggling to write with a pen thats as tall as you are? Use your phone as a tablet PC to record your work. It'll be easier to reach the on-screen keyboard.

Marion is effectively a disabled person at this point. When people are disabled, they are given tools to help them recover the functionality they lost. Hearing aids, crutches, wheelchairs, wheelchair ramps, glasses. Marion is trying to go about his day as if he is still human sized, and he's suffering for it.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Marion with the ninja stance.

Thomas might have more of those coins stashed into his gut. Wouldn't surprise me x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

GameCobra wrote:Marion with the ninja stance.

Thomas might have more of those coins stashed into his gut. Wouldn't surprise me x3
Well, the last time we saw him he certainly had the hump...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

So, Lana knew about Thomas but either didn't know about Steward or held that back from Marion. That makes me wonder now if Keene knew about Steward. I always assumed he did, but maybe not. Or he held that back from Lana.

I can really see this leading a couple of ways. One, Thomas blames Keene, leaving Marion to not trusting him. Two, Thomas points them toward Steward. Neither of these things are mutually exclusive.

So, by nightfall, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Lois and coin could come in contact.

As for the zoo taking applications, I did suggest as a joke that it turns out Marion is an endangered species, maybe the zoo will want him...
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Kanexan wrote:There's no cursed gold left; Thomas only had the one piece on him, and Steward we know still has the coin on him.
There's a coin Karishad has been seen playing with a couple times. He may have swiped it all the way back during Temple Crashers 1 and it's possible the coin Cory has been seen flipping is the same coin he picked up if Karishad dropped it. So there may be a second cursed coin floating around somewhere.
Llor Drei wrote: Would love to see his camel character, Sofia by his side, as animal adventurers, as he has adjusted to his new form, and actually fallen for her. Again, not the author, but crossing my fingers.
I could see this being part of the plot if/when there's a mission to visit dragon's temple in Egypt.
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

I'm looking forward to see what happened to Thomas the camel and Sofia. Probably have some chidlren of their own by now^^
Llor Drei

Post by Llor Drei »

Only on hump day!
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Marion's got trust issues. XD
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:So, Lana knew about Thomas but either didn't know about Steward or held that back from Marion. That makes me wonder now if Keene knew about Steward. I always assumed he did, but maybe not. Or he held that back from Lana.

I can really see this leading a couple of ways. One, Thomas blames Keene, leaving Marion to not trusting him. Two, Thomas points them toward Steward. Neither of these things are mutually exclusive.

So, by nightfall, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Lois and coin could come in contact.

As for the zoo taking applications, I did suggest as a joke that it turns out Marion is an endangered species, maybe the zoo will want him...
It would make sense that Keene knew about Steward but when you think about it, unless Keene had security cameras spread throughout the house and property there wouldn’t be anyway of seeing his great escape. Even then there is the strong possibility Steward slipped past them.

As far as Marion not trusting Thomas, there isn’t really a reason for that. Keene has helped Marion so far and Lois is there. I would be more inclined to believe Thomas could manipulate Marion with lies if Lois wasn’t there. Even then what would Thomas gain from manipulating Marion. He’s in a zoo so how his two teenagers going to help him. I can’t see him and Steward on speaking terms. If Marion leaves the ECP and turns his back on Keene, how does that hurt Keene? Steward is the most likely choice to the point it’s obvious. Whether or not Lois does get changed is still the question.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Bullet wrote:I'm looking forward to see what happened to Thomas the camel and Sofia. Probably have some chidlren of their own by now^^
I'm not sure that would be good for Marion to find out. I suspect having offspring would be a sign that you don't expect to ever be human again. Despite his rant, I don't think Marion is ready to settle down.

It would be a little funny if Thomas has decided that this transformation was the best thing that happened to him. His life was one scheme after another, and then he was bested by a ferret. Now he's taken care of, has free room and board and might even be making some money of his own now. It's not impossible. King came to that conclusion.

Did Thomas or Steward ever know about King? His reveal to Keene was before Temple Crashers, so it seems possible that at least Steward was aware (or aware that Keene believed it). I don't think it ever came up in the comic and his transformation had a far different cause. I guess we may find out soon.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Frank

Post by Frank »

"So what's in the bag?"
"Oh, the usual, books, pens, boyfriend..."
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

fenrirblack wrote:Marion is effectively a disabled person at this point. When people are disabled, they are given tools to help them recover the functionality they lost. Hearing aids, crutches, wheelchairs, wheelchair ramps, glasses. Marion is trying to go about his day as if he is still human sized, and he's suffering for it.
I think that's a pretty apt comparison, though at the moment, at least the system has an excuse: they've never had a tiny-tiny person they've had to deal with. Even dwarfism doesn't produce people that small, so this sudden new situation has not given anyone time to adjust and develop workarounds for it. I can imagine that being extremely frustrating.
That said, Marion's woe-is-me attitude is annoying. It's a bad way to go about things, but it is very much the way teenagers do them, so I feel I have to let that slide. If the ECP is doing it's job, it ought to be talking with him after every school day to learn what new ways they could make things easier.

Then again, Keene pretty clearly has his own motivations for this situation, so he may not actually be thinking about what's best for Marion.