Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

ChewyChewy wrote:I know you wanted to avoid a "maybe" option, but:

On the one hand, I don't identify as a furry, nor do I want to, meaning that I wouldn't say "I'm a furry" as a description of myself.

On the other, based on my own (rather broad) definition, I do qualify--I prefer to draw animals rather than humans, as well as watch so-called "furry" movies and read webcomics with the same.

I guess you could say that I fit my definition but I don't want to label myself in that way.
Wouldn't that just be "yes, I'm a furry, but I don't flaunt the label"?
FarmMan1812 wrote:What are exactly the "Qualifications" to being a furry, cuz I like furry comics and art and stuff, but I don't have a fursona or any of that kinda stuff, so.... yeah
In my opinion, you're a furry if you like furry art and media at least partially because it contains anthropomorphic animals.

If you like Housepets! because it's funny, then you're not necessarily a furry. If the fact that it features anthropomorphs at least improves it a little in your eyes, you're probably a furry.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

in my opinion you're a furry once you enjoy anthropomorphic art, game or movies to a strong degree. By that meaning that I might enjoy playing Call of Duty, but I'm not that into it. You probably wouldn't call me a COD fanboy. Same with furry. If you like it a a bit, not really. If you're quite into it, and devote a large amount of your free-time to it, then you are.

I think furry is quite an extreme describing word as well.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I have dreams of me as my inexistant fursona which as soon as I wake up, I forget what it looks like.
I suck at drawing but I would still try and draw what I can remember, I don't remember much though. Mostly just a silhouette, a really blurry image.
Sent from my conifer.
redmarker97

Post by redmarker97 »

Yeah, I'm a furry, as I'm the 'forums token Avian.
Psykeout wrote:
redmarker97 wrote:WMD's.
Waterballoons of Mass Drenching.
Echo of Eden(Over XBL): "3 Kill Streak! Ford Pinto is read for combat!"
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

@Sleet: Pretty much, but that's why I didn't vote.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I pretty much found the fandom through a winding road of searches that started with "Sonic the Hedgehog." I joined the fandom on August 20, 2008 when I got the DeviantArt account. It's, well, I usually say it's inactive but I have uploaded stuff to it recently.

I henceforth shall celebrate my furryversary on August 20 every year by annoying everyone else on about it.
Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Mon May 30, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reconstruction

Post by Reconstruction »

For the record...what would be the point of a maybe choice for the vote? That'd be no fun at all!
I'm a fairly interesting person once you get to know me, but seeing as nobody can successfully navigate my minefield I guess they'll never truly know.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Reconstruction wrote:For the record...what would be the point of a maybe choice for the vote? That'd be no fun at all!
And that is why it was never included. ^^; We shall just let our hearts and minds decide what we are if we border it or not.
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

Nope, I don't consider myself a furry. I simply don't see what would be the point of being a furry. It doesn't make sense for me.
Actually, its RETINQ. See, Retinq. Q.

Post by Reconstruction »

And for many reasons I now walk the path of a furry, I draw furries, and I haz furries! (not Really)
I'm a fairly interesting person once you get to know me, but seeing as nobody can successfully navigate my minefield I guess they'll never truly know.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I can't draw but i want to learn :cry:
Sent from my conifer.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

yehoshua wrote:I can't draw but i want to learn :cry:
Anyone can draw. I NEVER learned to draw as such--I taught myself, pretty much. And now I'm told I'm good at it, especially expressions.

You start out by drawing something realistic, then you simplify it and stylize it until it looks the way you want it. That's what I did, and I took inspiration from artists I liked.

My drawing is entirely a cartoony style but that still counts.
PF chars

--Phoenix

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Retinq wrote:Nope, I don't consider myself a furry. I simply don't see what would be the point of being a furry. It doesn't make sense for me.
What's the point of being a sci-fi fan? Or an anime fan?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Sleet wrote:
Retinq wrote:Nope, I don't consider myself a furry. I simply don't see what would be the point of being a furry. It doesn't make sense for me.

What's the point of being anything?o.o
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Tobee wrote:
Sleet wrote:
What's the point of being anything?o.o
*Pops in!* It is a form of identification! For example, I am a D&D fan, so talking about D&D with me probably won't go wrong! But if you try to talk about D&D stuff with people who don't care about D&D, you would either get a confused 'huh?', a 'lol', or get ignored completely!

It is a way to let people know your hobby/interest!
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

Tobee wrote:What's the point of being anything?o.o
Heh, sometimes i wonder. If you think about things and try to find out why they are the way they are, nothing is so important and everything is pointless. You know what I'm talking about, don't you? Sometimes i just overthink stuff.

What I originally wanted to say is that i think being a furry is either an attempt to escape from the everyday stuff, humanity, society, whatever, or like it was originally, assuming you are an animal in a human body. In the first case it's an epic fail, because creating a hippy-ish subsociety doesn't take you away from reality.
The second option is...well, i don't know. Human is an animal, and trying to draw a line between humans and other species doesn't seem good to me. (not even if you consider yourself an animal, not to speak of the fact that there are mountains of evidence of animals being like us than we could ever imagine they are just not well known. Fun fact: You can not be, for example half human and half ...wolf because you are already genetically much more than half wolf. :P Also 33% daffodil. I like science. it's interesting :3 Now back to the topic.)
And there are those who just like cuddliness and being a furry means for them... becoming a furry. they want to be one IRL. Meh. I don't care much how I look, only what i can do.

Most likely I just don't get what people mean when they say furry. It changes over time. When you say you are a furry, do you say only that you are interested in this stuff, or one of the above statements?

Hmm, next time i should just save my time and don't explain things.
Actually, its RETINQ. See, Retinq. Q.
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Rentinq wrote:What I originally wanted to say is that i think being a furry is either an attempt to escape from the everyday stuff, humanity, society, whatever, or like it was originally, assuming you are an animal in a human body.
Being a furry is not and was never originally about assuming you are an animal in a human body. That is a belief held by some furries, but it is rare and not representative of the fandom as a whole. I would comment on it but it kind of borders on a religious topic and we don't want to go there.

As for the escapism, being a furry is only escapism if you let it be. Despite what it seems like, this whole "pretend you're an animal" thing is not the core of the fandom; the fandom's central aspect is liking furry movies/video games/books/webcomics/etc. and the make-believe thing is just a silly gimmick a lot of furries, myself included, enjoy doing. It's not actually even a requirement for the fandom, and even among those of us who do it, it's not always for escapism. This may come as a surprise to people, but I'm not actually an Arctic fox. I don't mind my human self or my human life at all! I just think it's fun to pretend to be a fox.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:I do not believe the poll can be changed, but I can change how I have you recorded. Do you have a species in mind, or are you undecided/none?

Sorry for not answering sooner, Sleet. I was over at my friends house yesterday.

Uh, yeah, I think I do. Put me down as a red fox, bro.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

You are a furry if people think you are a furry. If you're not a furry, then people will argue over whether or not you're a furry depending on your behavior.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'd say a more accurate statement is that you're a fur if you say you're one; if you don't, you're not. Others' assumptions and beliefs cannot be the basis for self-identity.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Dissension wrote:I'd say a more accurate statement is that you're a fur if you say you're one; if you don't, you're not. Others' assumptions and beliefs cannot be the basis for self-identity.
I agree, and that's why I don't want to use that label to describe myself--because it could lead those who define it differently to think that I believe or practice weird things that are extreme fringe and crazy, and I don't care enough about "being a furry" to make a stand in that regard against such beliefs. It isn't like belonging to a religion.
PF chars

--Phoenix

FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

What Dissension said is about as true as it gets in my opinion. I have told my only two friends that I am a furry though, they thought I was weird, but I am different/weird enough already so it really does not matter for me. I am proud of being furry so I say I am one if asked.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

It's difficult saying you're a furry when you have some underclassman spreading lies about the fandom to the ENTIRE SCHOOL. I'm probably going to have to link an explanation to Facebook again.

My closer friends didn't mind, but my not-so-close friends were very surprised. "You do know what a furry is, right?"
"Yeah, I know."

I have a strange feeling that they do not.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Anthroguy101 wrote:It's difficult saying you're a furry when you have some underclassman spreading lies about the fandom to the ENTIRE SCHOOL. I'm probably going to have to link an explanation to Facebook again.

My closer friends didn't mind, but my not-so-close friends were very surprised. "You do know what a furry is, right?"
"Yeah, I know."

I have a strange feeling that they do not.
Then don't say you're a furry. Easy as that.

If people can keep a secret and you tell them, and they're disgusted, explain to them what a furry really is.
Reconstruction

Post by Reconstruction »

Basically where i got my furry drawing skills from is studying how housepets were drawn for 3 months and then drawing my own characters.

I am obsessed! (Dont judge me)
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

I am an OTTEEEEEEER!!!!

And I wouldn't have it any other way! :D
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Alex

Post by Alex »

Wow, 1/3 is not furry. I expected it to be only 1/5 or something.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It used to be 1/4. I like to think it's because we're gaining humans, not losing furries. :3
Shake

Post by Shake »

Talking about furries as if they are distinctly different from humans is slightly weirding me out.
You've shattered my mind and rearranged the pieces into something beautiful.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Retinq wrote:you are already genetically 33% daffodil
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

PLANTHROPOMORPH.
Shake wrote:Talking about furries as if they are distinctly different from humans is slightly weirding me out.
We're all technically humans, but I just use "human" as a term for a non-furry. Only here, though. A community that has lots of both. It's weird if you say that around too many or too few furries.
Alphonse

Post by Alphonse »

Me? A furry?
Hmmhm.
Hm.
Hmmhm.
Cwitt wrote:And I be a raccoon :3

What Cwitt said.
Being a raccoon furry for the win.
"Self-advocation is just a hobby of mine."
I conjure thoughts so grand, that they have adverse reactions to your thoughts before you even think them.
[ǝɹǝɥ ǝʇonb ʎʇʇıʍ 'ƃuıɯɹɐɥɔ ʇɹǝsuı]
I spend far too much time lurking...
LURKERLURKISLURKIN'
redmarker97

Post by redmarker97 »

Alphonse wrote:
raccoon
inb4 "Broom to the face!"
Psykeout wrote:
redmarker97 wrote:WMD's.
Waterballoons of Mass Drenching.
Echo of Eden(Over XBL): "3 Kill Streak! Ford Pinto is read for combat!"
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Beware the all mighty broom cat!
Sent from my conifer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm surprised it took this long for us to have a duplicate species! So far everyone (other than humans) is a different species, except for our two raccoons.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well, I'm not a furry. So I'm a human xD

Furry fandom is just not my thing. That's all I can say :)
I'm a bookworm!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I'm a furry (as I believe I have said before) and a Doberman. Yes I know my name is IceKitsune but that's because I like it and I'm to lazy to come up with a new one.
Reima

Post by Reima »

I classified myself as human because I don't personally identify with any animal.
I enjoy animal art, because animals (anthromorphic or otherwise) are adorable and the art is interesting.
But, since I personally believe that to be a furry means to have some basic concept of what animal you would like to be, I would have to say I am not a furry.
Given the choice between being a bipedal talking animal or a human, I will still choose human...
Probably...

I haven't thought about it much honestly. ;)
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free.
"
~Clarence Darrow
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Yes, and put me down as the following:
Wolfcat
Human (wait, would this be a no?)
Gryphon (with occasional Chocobo appearance)
Coydog
Grey Fox

Uh... anything else? Nope, I think that's all of 'em.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Buckdida wrote:Yes, and put me down as the following:
Wolfcat
Human (wait, would this be a no?)
Gryphon (with occasional Chocobo appearance)
Coydog
Grey Fox

Uh... anything else? Nope, I think that's all of 'em.
Oh you. |3

TOO MANY BUCK (okay there's no such thing) BUT HARD T KEEP TRACK
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW