Custom (Self built)
18%
Other (Tablet, Phone, ect)
7%

Total votes: 44

JeffCvt

What kind of computer do you use?

Post by JeffCvt »

So, it looks like I'm going to be getting myself a Chromebook tomorrow. (Well, probably ordering it online and actually having it in a week or so. Unless I can get the Staples store to drop $30 off of the one I want.) That got me thinking, what kind of computer do you guys use?

We don't have a poll for this (at least not one in the past year and a half) and I'd like to see.

I personally use a Windows computer right now, but if the Chromebook is what I'm expecting, I don't think I'll ever go back except for stuff that I need Windows to run.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Silly Zealot

Re: What kind of computer do you use?

Post by Silly Zealot »

I use a Windows XP, have used Windows my whole life, in fact. I never heard of the Chromebook before.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Silly Zealot wrote:I never heard of the Chromebook before.
It's basically a laptop that does nothing else except run the Google Chrome web browser. For most people (Like me) who don't really use their computer for anything else besides internet, it seems like great option.

Not only that, but if you look a little, you can find a good (New) one for about $200. I found the one that I'm looking at for $219, and it's one of the better ones they have available right now. A decent (New) laptop will cost you about $300 at the minimum. Plus you need to purchase virus protection for a laptop, but not a Chromebook. Just by the way it works, a Chromebook shouldn't get viruses.

They aren't for everyone, and I can't recommend it yet since I haven't used one, but I would recommend at least looking at one if you feel you might need a new computer sometime in the future.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Toshiba NB 505 netbook. It is pretty good for $245. It was the best I could do after my Dell laptop was stolen.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

I guess it is a little late now, but there is a free program you install and use in the event the computer gets stolen...
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

I use the family computer, a Windows XP desktop that's like 8 years old. It's actually held up surprisingly well but it limits my gaming options so I usually stick to console.

I'll probably get a Laptop for my 18th birthday but that's not for a while so I haven't really looked into it.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

I use a Macbook, but I dual boot Windows. I uses BootCamp to do this, not Parallel.
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Running Windows on a Mac?
*Mind explodes*

Based on handling them in school, I like the physical feeling of a Mac laptop better than my Dell by a long shot. It just feels like it was built to withstand physical punishment a lot better.

But that's all a Mac has going for me. I don't like how Apple pretty much forces you to stay within their product lines once you buy into them.

I mean, I know that I'm buying into kinda the same thing with a Chromebook, but I can also buy outside of the Google stuff (Like my Dell) and still get the full experience. I can do everything on a regular computer that I can do on a Chromebook. And Google isn't stupid expensive either.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

I for one agree with you Jeff. Build quality is not enforced by Microsoft so it is up to the manufacturer to deliver. If anyone has felt a Microsoft Surface tablet, that is the feel of quality.

Many OEMs like ASUS, Lenovo (bought IBM, a fantastic company), and even Acer, actually. Most of them now are solid and feature metal bodies.

Chromebooks are cheap because some of the cost is subsidized by google for the manufacturer,and the hardware is also cheap.

I am considering a Surface tablet, actually.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well, from what I had read in your description Jeff, I say go for the Chromebook. It seems to fit your internet needs just fine, and the low price tag is definitely a bonus.
JeffCvt wrote:Running Windows on a Mac?
*Mind explodes*

Based on handling them in school, I like the physical feeling of a Mac laptop better than my Dell by a long shot. It just feels like it was built to withstand physical punishment a lot better.

But that's all a Mac has going for me. I don't like how Apple pretty much forces you to stay within their product lines once you buy into them.

I mean, I know that I'm buying into kinda the same thing with a Chromebook, but I can also buy outside of the Google stuff (Like my Dell) and still get the full experience. I can do everything on a regular computer that I can do on a Chromebook. And Google isn't stupid expensive either.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Heh, same sentiments here too, hence why I stuck with Microsoft. Macbooks look nice and sleek, but that's it for me. And about 90% of people here (guesstimate, don't quote me) uses Windows-operated computers, so getting a Macbook here is basically going into the hipster path xD

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

I would suggest adding an option for Ubuntu or Linux based operating systems. And of course the Amiga operating system. Who could forget that?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Well, I'm not sure about that. I thought about adding Linux, but the purpose of this pole was more about the kind of computer, not the OS. If my (admittedly limited) knowledge is correct, Linux is something that doesn't really have a specific computer made for it that you can go and buy at your local store. You have to buy a computer that already has a Windows or Mac operating system and then remove it. Or build your own.

And I've never even heard of those other two. I'll add a "custom" option for people who have built or heavily modified their computer, and still leave the "other" option for tablets and stuff like that. (But everyone has to now vote again. This is the last time I'll edit it without a really good reason.)

Also, I'm posting this from my brand-new Chromebook! The keys are a little different. It doesn't have a "home" and "end" key which I got very used to using on my other computer, but other than that I have no real complaints. It was very easy to set up and I haven't encountered any problems yet. (Well, except that I can't adjust the mouse scroll wheel speed. I have a mouse with a precision scroll wheel, and I just ordered a new one that I'm getting tomorrow with the same thing. It's annoying that whenever I try to use it, the page basically goes either straight to the top or bottom. But that's something I could just get used to I guess.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Oh I see what you are driving at. In that case, I would suggest

- Desktop
- Laptop (and Ultrabooks)
- Netbook (Chromebook)
- Custom build (Self-built [or from iBuyPower, Origin PC, etc.], desktop or laptop)
- Tablet device (phone, PDA)

Although another poll concerning operating systems would be interesting.

And good to know you got the Chromebook! :] Like any new OS there is a learning curve.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

No, those poll options don't get to the questions Jeff wanted answered. He's also said he's not interested in re-doing the poll, as everyone really would have to vote again. If you wish to make your own threads for operating systems and whatnot, you are certainly welcome to!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Just gonna drop my vote again. Windows all the way, though I might learn Ubuntu someday.

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I have previously used Dell laptops, but other than the one that got stolen, the others died after about 2 years use.

My logic behind getting my netbook, other than the price, was that it has a great potential for modularity. I could buy other components like a disk drive and external hard drive, and if any of the parts died, it would not grievously effect it (that is unless it is the net book itself). Drives, extra memory and even a larger key board and screen can just be plugged into it. Unlike my laptops, where if one of it's components goes down, the entire thing has to be taken to the repair shop or it takes everything down with it.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Karl

Post by Karl »

I wish I had iOS, but unfortunately the stupid alliance of superheroes next door does everything to not allow my powers to evolve and reach for my destiny, so I have to cope with Windows.

So I use Windows. For like... 18 years. Vista on stationary (sux, and the stupid thing is broken), and XP on my small Asus Eee PC.
I'm a bookworm!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Windows. Always Windows. Currently Windows 7.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

My desktop runs Windows 7.

My laptop dual boots Windows 8 with Linux Mint.
Sent from my conifer.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I do like Apple's OS though, at least for my phone. Not so much a fan of it on Laptops though. Not so much a fan of the new Windows as well. I wish I knew how to revert it back.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I use a *carp*py little Samsung netbook that i got at school, sadly it's all i can afford right now; Win 7, whi i like, and it likes me MOST of the time.

Best computer that I have ever had was a Lenovo notebook, 16'screen was perfect, special edition winXP, 500 giggidy Harddrive (sorry, I'm weird like that sometimes) 4 gigs ram, AMD inside, and a CD drive, battery life was about 2 hours only, but it was consistently fast, great for games, great speakers for a laptop, nice space, stayed cool, quiet enough, and my parents got rid of it when i wnt to school and got this *carp*py Netbook >:(

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I have to say that I'm rather pleased with my Acer 720 Chromebook (4GB ram model).

It's faster than my Samsung Chromebook, and it has a decent battery life. The only complaint I have is the headphone jack makes a kind of "white noise" whenever there is a program going on that makes sound, but isn't actually making noise at the moment.

I'm pretty sure it's a defect in the sound card (or chip. Or whatever it is that does all of the sound stuff). Before Acer will do anything to check if it's the hardware, I need to do a total reboot myself. That being totally removing the Chrome OS and re-installing it and see if that solves the issue. I'm not sure what they'll do if that doesn't work. I guess I'll have to send it in and they'll replace the defective part because of the warranty.

Kinda ticks me off that I'd have to do that for a brand-new machine, but I guess defects happen. It bothers me more that I now have to wait to install the new SSD I got for it because if I don't, that'll void the warranty and I'll have to pay to fix the sound.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

JeffCvt wrote: It's faster than my Samsung Chromebook, and it has a decent battery life. The only complaint I have is the headphone jack makes a kind of "white noise" whenever there is a program going on that makes sound, but isn't actually making noise at the moment.
Had that happen a bit on the Lenovo, the netbook i have now though is weird, thr regular speakers are fine, same when i plug in to an outside system, buy if i plug in earbuds/headphones/etc, the left is WAY louder and the right WAY quieter, so i have to lower the left to equalize it with the right/ the other way around. does not make me happy *ticked off tone*

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

*Mind explodes*
Many, many computer science students at my school have done exactly that. It's pretty nifty!

Hey Jeff, have you ever seen the Computer Specs and Builds thread? It was last posted in back in July-ish but I'm about to post in it. I feel like maybe this thread needs to be merged into that one, since they're so similar. What do you think?
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

What do I pick if I build up the computer myself and have Windows on it?
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Happiness Designer
Location: In the corner of your mind, where reality and dreams clash and create a fabulous universe.

Post by Happiness Designer »

Render wrote:What do I pick if I build up the computer myself and have Windows on it?
Windows, I would say.
Or Self-built.

It's more selfbuilt than windows.
~ Colors are good. ~
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; It is something you design for the present.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Beagle wrote:
*Mind explodes*
Many, many computer science students at my school have done exactly that. It's pretty nifty!

Hey Jeff, have you ever seen the Computer Specs and Builds thread? It was last posted in back in July-ish but I'm about to post in it. I feel like maybe this thread needs to be merged into that one, since they're so similar. What do you think?
But I wanted to do a poll though. And on top of that, I feel that they're different enough to keep separate threads. This one is more about the software/operating system. Specs and builds is more about the hardware.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Korakc wrote:
Render wrote:What do I pick if I build up the computer myself and have Windows on it?
Windows, I would say.
Or Self-built.

It's more selfbuilt than windows.
Hmmm... I only pluged together the components. Then I installed Windows. Don't know what to choose. ;)

Image Image
ImageImageImage
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I would say self built. You didn't go out and specifically buy a Windows computer, you pieced one together and then chose to put Windows on it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'd say Windows. If this thread is supposed to focus mainly on software and OS, then making the PC yourself wouldn't matter since it's running Windows.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Can you build a computer and then install Mac OS though?
Also, Windows computer = PC, and Apple computer = Mac. Is this true?

I don't really know anything about Apple's Macs because it's not readily available here, unless you live in the big cities.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Apple originally was the name of the company who made Macintosh (Mac) personal computers (PCs). They started in 1984.
When Microsoft entered the market of personal computers (PCs) with their "Windows" OS, in 1985, they dominated so much that (I guess) Microsoft (Windows) and personal computer (PC) became synonymous. (Wikipedia says they had 90% of the market).

Thus the connection between Apple who makes Macs, and Microsoft who makes (Windows) PCs (which isn't exactly accurate because I still know people who refer to desktop computers as PCs occasionally regardless of their brand, though this may fade out as "PC" looses its meaning *mumble grumble progress of language and all that*) (It seems Microsoft and Windows already basically mean the same thing to most people nowadays...)
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

JeffCvt wrote:I would say self built. You didn't go out and specifically buy a Windows computer, you pieced one together and then chose to put Windows on it.
That's the problem, as one answer is for the hardware and the other is for the software.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I'd say Windows. If this thread is supposed to focus mainly on software and OS, then making the PC yourself wouldn't matter since it's running Windows.
Does it mean I need to make my own OS to select "Self Built"?

I think I'll select "Self Built", as I have Vista and that often feels like I did it myself. :lol:

Image Image
ImageImageImage
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Currently I have an Advent ACER 6301 laptop running Windows Vista,
with 120 gig Hard Drive (actually 101 gig HD according to the computer's properties window)
and, if I remember rightly, about 2 gig memory.

I bought it on June 5th 2008. It cost me £500. A bargain.

I originally planned to wait until AFTER the summer of that year so I had enough money saved up for a non-bargain PC.

But I was shanghai'd into fast-forwarding my plans by a real life friend who wanted me to join Second Life right away,
as I had told them I was planning to join Second Life and needed a computer powerful enough to run it.

This one is powerful enough...just.

Unfortunately after about the first year of having this laptop, things started going wrong.

First it kept spitting out Windows updates for some reason, so I constantly had the "there are updates that need to be installed" message every time I got it on.

Then the backlight gave out so I had to have it sent off to get a new one fitted.

Then the headphone and microphone jack sockets started failing until none of my jack headphones or microphones would work on it.

Then, one by one, the USB ports started giving out and I found myself having to wiggle my mouse's usb a bit until I found the sweet spot that held the signal on the one USB port that still sort of worked.

At one stage the cover for the CD tray came off and dissapeared...I since found that down the back of my bed during a spring clean.

Finally, back in the beginning of October 2013, I was watching a Youtube video when suddenly the screen went completely black...
and my power indicator wasn't even telling me I was receiving mains power to the battery...(I always ran my laptop offa the mains)...

...I took it to a local computer engineers who diagnosed it as most likely being a total motherboard failiure.

They couldn't fix it...it was a PC World own brand laptop, only PC World engineers could fix it.
I was hoping to avoid PC World engineers having to fix it...they charge up the wazoo for repairs...or so I believed.

But I had no choice...I couldn't afford a new PC yet, plus there was some files on my laptop too big to back up on my pen drive.
So I sent it off for the repair to see how much it would cost.

Before I could even send it off, they had to charge me for the diagnostic and repair,
plus a data recovery service, which required me to have to purchase an external hard drive...coming to a grand total of around £180

After a couple of weeks waiting, I finally got a phone call telling me those local computer engineers called it right, it was the motherboard, so a new one had to be fitted.
They also noticed the failed state of my USB and jack ports so wanted to replace those.
Plus some other repair...I'm not quite sure what it was.
The repairs themselves came to a grand total of £78.
Not as bad as I thought it would be...I thought they were gonna charge upwards of £200-£300 just for the motherboard alone.

So I had 'em debit my bank account, they fixed it up lickety-split, I collected it from my local PC World branch a few days afterwards.

It's good as new now...but it still keeps spitting out those Windows updates...
and now I'm getting an error message telling me “the activation key you entered is not valid” and that I need to get a new one, or my copy of Windows is not valid.
I reckon my OS musta gotten derped up somehow from that recent fix-it job I had done.

Meh, it's only a minor annoyance...and I don't think it's really worth buying a new activation key, since the very next major planned purchace on my list is a new computer.

I'm not buying any other big toys until I get my paws on a new computer.
And since I don't really take my laptop out the house or anything, I've decided I'd be better off with a desktop tower. More bang for your buck, as the saying goes.

After a bit of window shopping at PC World, I found a HP pavillion. 2 Terrabyte harddrive (supposedly), 8 gigabyte memory, Intel Core 5 processor, £570 without monitor.

I plan to hook it up to the TV I use for satisfying my gamer lust with my PS3, as the TV has a USB port, so it should be a simple USB-to-USB connection...

Don't worry, I'll ask in the store when I buy the thing if there's any special software required for using a TV as my screen.

So yeah...I learned the hard way you should NEVER go for the bargain when it comes to computers.
fylwind

Post by fylwind »

Mine is built from parts. I use Windows as the OS because I have to (games and other one-of-a-kind programs that are only supported on Windows). I have Cygwin installed so I get all the awesome *nix utilities and a more real terminal. At work I use Debian. I would actually use Linux at home if it weren't for the lack of popularity though. :(
zero

Post by zero »

self built computer running win 7 64bit (pc built in 2010).
my next build will be running win 8.1
zero

Post by zero »

kurowolfe wrote:Can you build a computer and then install Mac OS though?
Also, Windows computer = PC, and Apple computer = Mac. Is this true?

I don't really know anything about Apple's Macs because it's not readily available here, unless you live in the big cities.
you can install mac os on a pc but that breaks apple's EULA that states that you are only allowed to install in on apple computers. anyways google hackintosh
nope. a computer is a computer. on a x86 compatible computer you can install any x86 compatible OS (windows, linux, mac os, unix,...etc). in 2006 apple moved from ibm's powerpc architecture to x86 and now there is no difference between a normal computer and a mac at the hardware level. apple macs are just customized computers that are optimized for running mac os x.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Would love a Mac, if not for the astronomical price tag.

Three guesses where my student loan will be going next year...
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

My computer, after encountering the Earth in a manner that can only be appropriately described as a non reciprocating relationship, has become an extremely light and portable desktop unit that happens to have an in-built keyboard...
The touch screen digitizer and display itself is a write off. Good thing the internals are more or less intact.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

A janky optiplex who's next destination is the trash.

I'm looking to buy a more powerful computer here soon.