Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Champion Wallace

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Champion Wallace »

Wow... that's imposing. In the main games mega evolving a Lucario only increased its attack, special attack, and speed by 20%-30% and the power of its Fighting and Steel type moves by 33%. Fun fact, if we were using all the mechanics from Sun and Moon for our combat, in a battle between Hagane and Atum, Atum might not get an attack in. Not only would Hagane go first, if he mega evolves and uses Sky Uppercut, there would be about a 33% chance (131/384) of Atum fainting from one hit.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Why is everyone looking down on Atum in this fight?!?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

because umbreons have the lowest stat average of the three, a move-set who's top tier moves are mistyped for fighting a dragon or a fighting type, and a type disadvantage to the one most likely to have the highest damage output.

and while the players can see what's really going on inside his head and know otherwise, to the characters he comes off as lazy and overconfident. or at least the way rose sees the world he does.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

... that’s fair, I am gonna add one move later on that should give him a fighting chance though
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so, are we just watching for this part? or are you guys expecting running commentary?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I mean, I personally wasn’t expecting running commentary, but I think that sounds cool if you want to do it.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well it's more a question of 'what are the rest of us supposed to be doing right now exactly' than 'does this seem like a dumb idea'...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I figure you guys would keep interacting like you have been while the characters watch the fight. In hindsight it's not the most interesting thing to do... part of this fight is to sort of establish and work on and test the mecanics we are going to use for other battles in the game. Still, the battle should at least provide something to talk to each other about.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Also, the other characters were playing could show you guys some of the restricted areas of the guild I suppose. We do apologize for not thinking about everyone else when we set this up.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I honestly think Einar's the only one who lacks interest in watching the fight... and you can probably guess why, based on where he's from.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:I honestly think Einar's the only one who lacks interest in watching the fight... and you can probably guess why, based on where he's from.
Speaking of that, Cyber, Lego, we ever post the stuff on the other locations and factions? I think we’re still discussing stuff on the volcano tribe, but I think most of the other groups I think we had ready if we haven’t. Also, Kimera and Scallop we luckily made clear have seen some fights before, so while they won’t be eager to leave, anyone who wants to do something else, you have two tour guides that can be convinced
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Don’t believe we ever posted it in here. If I remember right, most of them stayed the same as their original proposals, but the ghost tribe underwent some major revisions, so we might need to write out the new version for that.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I think some of the others may have needed a couple finidhing touches, but I think things were mostly good to go.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I didn't mind being left out on the filling in of details, but I would like to be made aware of the changes you guys have made. These places were meant to influence Einar's ideals.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:I didn't mind being left out on the filling in of details, but I would like to be made aware of the changes you guys have made. These places were meant to influence Einar's ideals.
Wish you had told us that. We will let you in on some of the changes though. The ideals of the volcano tribe I think is the one causing the most problems for us, but may be wrong
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Leafolawl wrote:I honestly think Einar's the only one who lacks interest in watching the fight... and you can probably guess why, based on where he's from.
rose is more interested in what she thinks is a source of more spending money, she doesn't actually care about the fight itself.
baja i don't really know what to do with. she'll probably get distracted at some point?
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Baja might leave, while Rose has incentive to stay to make sure no one can scam her out of her Poké—if not just to learn how capable her new mentors are. Additionally, I can see Baja getting wrapped up in the fight now that an actual move has been thrown, as well.

In complete honestly, I expected Einar would be the only one who doesn't care about watching or not—and whether or not that's true, it doesn't bother me. I have ideas for what he can do even without the 'restricted areas' tour.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Randomly bringing this up, but I love that Deske is using a pic to represent his character. It looks pretty nice, whose the artist?
Deske

Post by Deske »

Honestly I just found it on FA and added it to my rotation of canines. It's by CupcakeCreature.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Deske wrote:Honestly I just found it on FA and added it to my rotation of canines. It's by CupcakeCreature.
I’ll have to give them a looksie sometime then. Like the coloration on it
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sorry it took so long for me to post guys. I completely forgot that I hadn’t done it already.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Legotron123 wrote:Sorry it took so long for me to post guys. I completely forgot that I hadn’t done it already.
It’s fine Lego, the RP hasn’t had a lot of attention lately either way. Hope that changes once our mock battle is over.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Upon looking back through this thread I realized I never got an answer to if Pokemon in this RP can inherit TM moves as egg moves like in the main series or if that would violate the "TM moves and Tutor moves are not allowed at the start of the game because some of them can get rather OP" rule (as well as if inheritance like that could happen for other Pokémon even if not for main characters).
Leafolawl wrote:Second is the stats are likely going to be weighted towards the species of pokémon that you can pick/have chosen as the hero and partner pokémon, to incentivize sticking with them because you're meant to be emotionally attached to them. Admittedly a cheap trick to encourage this, even if the difference is only of 5% in total stat value.
Charmander being stronger was just one example. The Pokémon you can play as actually very wildly in power based on their ability and move pool. For example, Phanpy is considered the unofficial hard mode because of how bad it ends up being. They don't need to entice players to stick with their starters in Explorers of Sky when you're forced to use them until you beat the game.
Leafolawl wrote:Third is that the Mystery Dungeon games are a spin off, and aren't likely to accurately reflect the main series because of it. Different companies work on the games, and thus the balance is likely to change in order to better reflect the design intents of all companies involved.
Exactly! The two series have different mechanics to balance different things. The person who preposed using the main series stat calculator also admitted they've played the main series games but not any Mystery Dungeon so I wanted to make sure you people weighed the pros and cons of both systems for a forum based roll play instead of accepting the main series stats as the only option.
Deske wrote:Trying to write an odd mixture of confusion at an affectionate hug, not knowing that it's a hug and defaulting to 'Theyre trying to catch him' and a bit of questioning the trust he's put into another character is hard. I can't tell if I overdid it or if I just plain didn't get my point across or even if I just didn't describe the intermingling of these feelings correctly.
You overdid it, but that sure is a lot better than underdoing it.
Buster wrote:[James] keep going to spots where none of the other characters are. we cant. (aside from the two upstairs, we're all in the dining hall. if you have to ask where the food is you're clearly not in that room, hence no response)
I see where he's coming from with his reentry post. The idea is you're not physically intruding but the other people will hear you so then you can start interacting. It's basically the same as my first IC post. For me, mentioning the Gloom was an afterthought. I guess it was fortunate that I decided to include it. You have more experience than either of us with this so I trust you know better what works and what doesn't.
Gameb18oy wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:Sorry it took so long for me to post guys. I completely forgot that I hadn’t done it already.
It’s fine Lego, the RP hasn’t had a lot of attention lately either way. Hope that changes once our mock battle is over.
Well of course there's not many new posts. A lot of the characters are waiting for the fight to be over and the people in the fight are locked into the sequence of Gameb18oy, CyberDragon, Legotron123. I'm not saying the fight was a bad idea. I agree with CyberDragon that this is a good way to test the battle mechanics and I think it was worth it.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:Upon looking back through this thread I realized I never got an answer to if Pokemon in this RP can inherit TM moves as egg moves like in the main series or if that would violate the "TM moves and Tutor moves are not allowed at the start of the game because some of them can get rather OP" rule (as well as if inheritance like that could happen for other Pokémon even if not for main characters).
Leafolawl wrote:Second is the stats are likely going to be weighted towards the species of pokémon that you can pick/have chosen as the hero and partner pokémon, to incentivize sticking with them because you're meant to be emotionally attached to them. Admittedly a cheap trick to encourage this, even if the difference is only of 5% in total stat value.
Charmander being stronger was just one example. The Pokémon you can play as actually very wildly in power based on their ability and move pool. For example, Phanpy is considered the unofficial hard mode because of how bad it ends up being. They don't need to entice players to stick with their starters in Explorers of Sky when you're forced to use them until you beat the game.
Leafolawl wrote:Third is that the Mystery Dungeon games are a spin off, and aren't likely to accurately reflect the main series because of it. Different companies work on the games, and thus the balance is likely to change in order to better reflect the design intents of all companies involved.
Exactly! The two series have different mechanics to balance different things. The person who preposed using the main series stat calculator also admitted they've played the main series games but not any Mystery Dungeon so I wanted to make sure you people weighed the pros and cons of both systems for a forum based roll play instead of accepting the main series stats as the only option.
Deske wrote:Trying to write an odd mixture of confusion at an affectionate hug, not knowing that it's a hug and defaulting to 'Theyre trying to catch him' and a bit of questioning the trust he's put into another character is hard. I can't tell if I overdid it or if I just plain didn't get my point across or even if I just didn't describe the intermingling of these feelings correctly.
You overdid it, but that sure is a lot better than underdoing it.
Buster wrote:[James] keep going to spots where none of the other characters are. we cant. (aside from the two upstairs, we're all in the dining hall. if you have to ask where the food is you're clearly not in that room, hence no response)
I see where he's coming from with his reentry post. The idea is you're not physically intruding but the other people will hear you so then you can start interacting. It's basically the same as my first IC post. For me, mentioning the Gloom was an afterthought. I guess it was fortunate that I decided to include it. You have more experience than either of us with this so I trust you know better what works and what doesn't.
Gameb18oy wrote:
Well of course there's not many new posts. A lot of the characters are waiting for the fight to be over and the people in the fight are locked into the sequence of Gameb18oy, CyberDragon, Legotron123. I'm not saying the fight was a bad idea. I agree with CyberDragon that this is a good way to test the battle mechanics and I think it was worth it.
Oh egg moves are totally fine, sorry if we never directly answered, I could have sworn we addressed that though. Also, none of the GMs on this think the battle was a waste of time, just we likely could have done it without kinda chaining most the characters to “watching it” as it’s understandably a bit boring for them
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Wallace is specifically asking about inheriting a TM move from a parent. Egg moves are usually a little more tame, but TM moves have been said "No" on entering characters.

So, I think the only way this really has meaning is in example.

For making a character, there's a move on the egg moves list, but neither parent learns the move through level up. One of the parent pokémon can learn it via TM, and thus the character can obtain the move as an egg move.

Would this be an acceptable means of learning an egg move?

On one hand, it feels like a workaround to early TM move access... but on the other, egg moves typically aren't obstructively strong.
Love me right now! Done.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the vast majority of those can be fulfilled via a creative breeding chains within 4 generations, as something that can be given through heredity, whether it be a trained move, TM/HM, early leveled move, or egg move, looks like it can frequently be received the same way. so wouldn't this only really apply to the really obscure ones that cant?
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

That's also kind of the thing with egg moves, and only partly why I didn't really grab them. They provide significant boosts to pokémon. Rockruff only gets five egg moves(which is the other part of why I didn't grab many), and I picked one. I potentially could have carefully designed a chain of ancestry to grab all five, but I felt that would be poor taste. Giving my characters every tool and option just because they can have them makes me feel like I've robbed them of the chance to grow.

Though, that's all just personal stuff and why I didn't utilize this greatly.

I can't even say I picked the one I did for thematic reasons because I came up with backstory after... but the move I picked did direct the designing. That's a tangent, though, so I'm not going to follow that any further.

Chailyn lacks them entirely, because she's not meant to grow the same way Einar is. I even briefly considered having her be at level cap, fully evolved.

I also feel there comes a point that it stops being done to be constructive to the character and setting. We're here to be roleplayers, not M.L.G. pokémon tacticians. Not to say it's wrong to consider the idea of having all the egg moves (if possible), because it can be done thematically and without being obstructive, but it can be hard to find the line between min-maxing and thematic character design based on just vague questions to check rules.

Back on the point of this, with the open voice philosophy the GMs have, I'd suggest making the character sheet, explicitly outline the circumstances that put the T.M. move into its egg move list(and by extension, what the move is), and then let the GMs say whether to take it out(if you want to keep it secret for some reason follow these same steps through private messaging). It could be case by case, but egg moves by and large could just be acceptable. Without the specifics, we're just speculating on why it's a bit of a hang up.
Love me right now! Done.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well part of the thing with plotting out you'r mon's ancestry is asking yourself, "am i doing this only for the movelist or are these characters actual characters that add something meaningful?"
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

And with that, the fight is over. Sorry we forgot to give you guys something to do other than watch. We’ll do better in the future.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Looks like Kimera could use a hug. In case anyone was concerned though, no, Mega Hagane did not hurt Kimera. However, Mega Hagane is a blood-hungry psychopath, and did hurt the Houndoom pack that attacked his son very badly. Badly enough that Kimera tries not to think about what happened.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Sounds like mega evolution has more cons than pros.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It does. But in a desperate situation, the pros can end up outweighing the cons.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Some new info on the world was added on the first page, I encourage you to read it to prep for future developments in the RP
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I am sorry everyone. I gave warning I went overboard.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:I am sorry everyone. I gave warning I went overboard.
Leaf, you basically helped make the world more developed. Don’t apologize, be proud of that
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

This was literally all just because I realized I could expand on Einar's backstory as I was going.

Good for the setting, but it's kind of... a lot of information.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:This was literally all just because I realized I could expand on Einar's backstory as I was going.

Good for the setting, but it's kind of... a lot of information.
Lots of information is good for this type of RP, gives the players some idea of where they might want to go, and we’ll try and think up some side stories for each area
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Well, with it fully up, figured I'd try to come up with an in-universe name for the land as an overall. Basa Lurrak, real basic "use simple terms from another language" name scheme, but gets the job done in a pinch. Anyone have any better ideas, go ahead and toss them.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:Well, with it fully up, figured I'd try to come up with an in-universe name for the land as an overall. Basa Lurrak, real basic "use simple terms from another language" name scheme, but gets the job done in a pinch. Anyone have any better ideas, go ahead and toss them.
Sounds good to me, so if no one has any objections, we’ll use it for the RP
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

What's everyone waiting on?
-Champion Motto