17th Century Fox - OOC

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: 17th Century Fox - OOC

Post by Hlaoroo »

Okay. I'll edit my post then.

Here's a description of Castillo Pato from Argent:
Good anchorage in a collapsed volcanic crater about the size of Hanauma bay. No large ship docks, just a beach and a small dock for a longboat or two. Warehouses and boathouses above the beach, the boathouses are mostly just roofs, no walls. Steps up a small cliff to the hilltop where the taverns and other permanent buildings hide below the peak. Farming and orchards on flat(ish) terraces above the town, but not a lot of useful land, which is why it's more sorta-piratical than agricultural.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

Is gambling a no for this thread?

Jack the Eevee and Barb the Buizel

George "Geo" Walker......S-8 P-4 E-7 C-7 I-6 A-7 L-3
Thank you kurowolfe for the banner!

3DS Friend Code: 1006 0495 4065
Hotep the psychic

Post by Hotep the psychic »

@Roo eduardo would bet on the mastif losing to win the jackpot, ariel, and so on.
Blacks is fighting anyways, if other characters want to go in and fight go ahead, ill set posts for npc's that fight them.
ImageImageImage
DRAGON EGGS!!! Click them!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Cool, thanks.
Just realised I forgot to have Timothy reply so I'll do that shortly too. Sorry about that. :oops:
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Whats the currency we're using in the city?
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Most likely British currency, I'd think. Pounds, shillings, pence and all that. Actually they'd use Spanish dollars (pieces of eight) too.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

Hlaoroo wrote:Most likely British currency, I'd think. Pounds, shillings, pence and all that. Actually they'd use Spanish dollars (pieces of eight) too.
This was a Spanish sea at the time, so they'd be using Reals and Spanish Dollars. I did a post about that a while back. I don't recall if there was a smaller denomination Spanish coin than a Real, there were a lot of pennies or equivalent, and they varied in size by country.

Edit: per 1632 document below, the "Maravedi" was 1/34th of a Real but by this time inflation had made it effectively worthless.

A Dollar was a silver coin that weighed an ounce and worth 8 Reals, so it was also known as the Peso (peso de ocho reales). Historically it wasn't often called "Pieces of Eight" in English, though it was sometimes cut into quarters (2 Reals) using the cross on one side as a guide, and it's traditional to use the "Pieces of Eight" expression in pirate fiction. It was a popular international currency, used widely throughout Europe (along with the original German and Dutch "Thalers"), and was the basis of the American Dollar.

I just checked, it wasn't until the 1800s that England really started pushing British currency into their Caribbean colonies.

You'd get a lot of other countries "thalers" or "dollars", but since they're all nominally an ounce of silver it's unlikely anyone would comment on them.

If you do have British currency, it'll be Pennies (1/240 of a pound of silver), maybe a few gold Sovereigns (nominally worth a pound of silver, but in this part of the world the exchange rate fluctuated wildly because it's where most of the gold and silver came from at this time) and Shillings (1/20th of a pound, so worth 0.8 Dollars or a little over three quarters). It's complex, I'd just stick to Reals and Dollars. A Real would be worth maybe two British pennies.

Edit: more than you ever wanted to know about 17th century currency: http://1632.org/1632Slush/1632money.rtf --- This one says a Real is worth six British pence, which doesn't match my calculations based on the nominal weight of silver. So I'd toss it all and go with Spanish currency.

Gold currency would be the "Dubloon" which was nominally worth 16 Dollars and equivalent to a British Sovereign.

(this all probably contradicts some of my earlier post in details, like I said it's complex)
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

^
What he said. He knows more than me so listen to him. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

Also, since a skilled craftsman would make about £15 a year in Europe, a Dubloon or Sovereign would be like a few thousand dollars in today's currency, and a Spanish Dollar a couple of hundred dollars and a Real would buy you a very good meal at a tavern. Of course, just about everything but food costs more this far from civilization.

Incidentally Silver is currently $20 per ounce, so if you invested in precious metals 400 years ago you'd have lost 90% of your investment by now. So don't pay attention to the "gold bugs". New York City would be a much better buy.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

oh wow , that introduction ..... :lol:
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So what's the answer to the navigation puzzle? Cause Miles knows how to navigate the same way Ben knows when someone's lying. Going to the OOC and asking. Plus you barely discribed the map.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Kateleo007 wrote:"Sorry to keep you waiting, sir" the shopkeeper nervously says, "that particular item is [whatever would equal $10 USD now].".
About a quarter Real?

Also, antagonizing humans in this period is likely to get an animal in trouble, possibly killed. Animals are chattel property, like slaves. Particularly in civilization they need to be all "yes massa".
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The answer to the puzzle is whatever you can make up and sound convincing about, Lego. ;)
The chart shows the coastline of the island as well as the reefs, rocks and the strength and direction of currents surrounding it. Miles could ask something about what sort of sail power the ship has and then from that calculate the best approach to tacking between the rocks using the available wind and adjusting for the pull of the current.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

Roarin wrote:"Hmph, deals are overated." A certain cat whispers nearby, clearly talking to Geo though his eyes were carefully watching the shopkeeper. He had a small pouch attached to the belt around his waist and was busy stuffing trinkets into them.
"Taking them takes a lot less effort." Jin continued with a crafty grin.
If I was still GM, Jin would be in SO much trouble now. Town this small, there's likely to be just a few stores, mostly ships chandlers, and an occasional market depending on when ships are in. So if the shopkeeper doesn't see him another customer is likely to.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Argent wrote:
Roarin wrote:"Hmph, deals are overated." A certain cat whispers nearby, clearly talking to Geo though his eyes were carefully watching the shopkeeper. He had a small pouch attached to the belt around his waist and was busy stuffing trinkets into them.
"Taking them takes a lot less effort." Jin continued with a crafty grin.
If I was still GM, Jin would be in SO much trouble now. Town this small, there's likely to be just a few stores, mostly ships chandlers, and an occasional market depending on when ships are in. So if the shopkeeper doesn't see him another customer is likely to.
So why aren't you the gm?
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Overwork at work made me drop out for months. Cinnamon dropped out of Richmond Acres at the same time, came back briefly for the snow and dropped out again. I can't guarantee that I have the time to run it, especially since my GM style is so hands-on (more like SD than Pete).
Argent

Post by Argent »

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Which part of the ship is blacks on?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I thought Blacks left the ship. The only other pet on board is Ariel.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Argent

Post by Argent »

MrNeonShot wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:"Heh, not exactly. I wasn't eavesdropping, mind you, but his voice carries further than he realises. Now enough questions. Back to work!" Eduardo orders, almost having forgotten himself for a moment. He makes a mental note to watch himself around the lion.
Ariel gave a slight glare at the guy but lost the glare as he spoke.
If you could hear our conversation from here, who knows what information could've been overheard by other crew members... Eduardo, I've got to get more information on my pets, so if you can, please have the captain's walls reinforced. It'd help keep important information from unwanted listeners. Ariel instructed.
If Ariel was trying to make Eduardo angry he couldn't have done a better job. And Eduardo is a bad enemy to have. I suspect Ariel is making dangerous assumptions about his position on the ship.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

As the second in command, Eduardo should be the one to look into those things. Does he seriously want to have the captain's information spread to any man on board? Ariel is trying to be smart about his surroundings, not disrespectful.

But I have changed the wordings a bit. Maybe it'll sound better now.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I'm lost. Where is everyone?
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

will get back to you on that ^^"
Argent

Post by Argent »

Unless I've lost track of things, the navigator's cabin is still officially occupied by an ocelot - since it was empty and Captain Palgrave had moved the charts into his own cabin, he put Patrick there for safe keeping, and I don't recall anything changing that. That could get awkward. :)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ariel and Ben are still on the boat; I think Miles went ashore; Blacks is in a grove with Pinch and Timothy; Tackle and Pepito are climbing to the top of the island with Rocea and Ventus; Jin and Rhyme are causing trouble in the marketplace; and your characters are wherever you want them to be. I'll have to message LC and see what he's doing with Tiki.

I'm also thinking I'll boot TMH (controlling Patrick, the ocelot) since he's not really been on in months unless anyone is opposed?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Okay, I think Ariel is frozen. Maybe we can have the captain come back for the 2 and have Lego reply whenever he can?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

As you saw, Lego replied for you, Neon. Hopefully he'll manage to stay active. If not we can work something else out for you.

Hyper and Hotep, I have mentioned this to you before and I'd rather not have to again. Please do not take up a whole half a page to yourselves. The limit is five posts per day and you both have six there. Additionally long runs like that make it difficult for other players to respond as you leave us in the dust. Please keep that in mind in future and remember that further breaches of RP rules such as this may result in moderator action.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Hey, Roo. Do you mind adding the new people to the roster on the front page?

Also: Tiki is an otter! Ermergerd!
Also also: Wildtheory was the first furry artist I actually liked... until I learned he was a bit messed up and very rude.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'm... not sure what Wildtheory has to do with anything, but sure, I'll update the roster.
Done. Let me know if I forgot anyone or got anything wrong. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Hlaoroo wrote:I'm... not sure what Wildtheory has to do with anything, but sure...

WildTheory is the furry artist who drew Tiki (except for the black around his eye).
Hlaoroo wrote:I'll update the roster.
Done. Let me know if I forgot anyone or got anything wrong. :)
Thanks!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah, I see. I did not know that.

And you're welcome. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Lego, if you'd like to say something here, you can. I'm waiting on you.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

You can feel free to PM him if you like, Neon.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I know that he gets busy sometimes, but here I wasn't sure if he was busy or he didn't have anything to say.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Either way, doesn't hurt to poke him and find out.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

The lion roars! :)
LovingCorgi

Post by LovingCorgi »

Can someone maybe explain the reason the captain wants the rats?

Oh and sorry Neon and Lego for having a gun pointed at you two. It's in Tiki's personality to be protective.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

The captain doesn't want the rats. He ordered Ariel to have the pets hunt them down, and Ariel is doing that. BUT, Ariel is giving the rats a chance to run from the ship so he won't have to kill them. He may act tough and make threats, but he couldn't leave anyobe to die if he had the option to save them.

This could be the perfect opportunity to have the rats start a new home on the island.
Last edited by Hlaoroo on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't double post. That's what the edit button is for.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Could have sworn I replied to your post, LC.

Neon is right though. The captain and the humans consider the rats to be pests and disease-spreaders and want to be rid of them. The pets just consider the rats food. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Hlaoroo wrote:The pets just consider the rats food. :P
From what I've seen so far, Ariel and Ben are the only pets who have considered the possibility of the rats being food. Everyone else made friends with them :b