Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

Ok, so here's how I'm thinking this is going to work. It's a bit different, somewhat of an experiment, but should still be fun since it's still fighting the Warlord. No stupid point-and-click genre changes here.

When in the Predator Drone, everyone has access to all of the powers it has copied. However, each power used has a power drain to it. The drain is equal to the power level of the person the power originally belongs to. There are ways to recharge that I will reveal in the actual game.

I will compile what you guys do together and do a bit of interpreting to adjust for incompatibilities, but try to pay attention to what the last person to move did, and adjust your post accordingly if you can.

Goal is to keep him busy for a set number of turns until heavy-hitter reinforcements can arrive. Then part three can start. It's been pretty clearly established that he's out of a nuclear fleet's league, let alone the league of extraordinary rookies. So beat him up, survive, watch your power consumption.

thoughts?
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think that means PHASE 3: BEGIN!!!
I chose four songs for you guys this time.
Cannonball-Rockman Zero Mythos. In all honesty, I prefer the Hard Revenge version used in ZX, but that one didn’t have an awesome remix, sooooooooooooo....
It Has To Be This Way-Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. This is an extended version, because the only other ones I could find either had a swear word in the channel name, or tried to turn it into a bad music video.
Best of the Best of the Best-Power Rangers in Space. Because come on. Of COURSE I was going to include something from Power Rangers in a giant robot fight.
Yellow Devil Theme-Mega Man 11. It sounds creepy and robotic, so it kinda fits both combatants.
Also, I know this post has already gone on long enough, but check out this art I had commissioned of young Kolt!
42289A41-1BF5-4C6E-80DA-162963C54558.jpeg
42289A41-1BF5-4C6E-80DA-162963C54558.jpeg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 8888 times
This was done by The Fox Brother (FA link here: https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thefoxbro/). It’s supposed to be of Kolt when he was just starting out. That’s why he doesn’t have his gauntlet yet, why his tail is so bushy, and why his fur colors are so pale (since Concertians actually get LESS pale as they grow older). It’s also why he has that little pouch thing on the left, Mythos hasn’t developed Hammerspace tech yet, so anything he has to carry goes in that pouch. What do you think?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I like the drawing! It looks great!

On the first part though, this isn't the third phase. The second phase is just starting.

What you've experienced so far? That was just the cut scenes.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:I like the drawing! It looks great!

On the first part though, this isn't the third phase. The second phase is just starting.

What you've experienced so far? That was just the cut scenes.
I have the fight separated into four phases for music purposes. Phase one was the normal Warlord, Phase two was the Warlord becoming a Proto-Avatar (which admittedly is basically just a cutscene), Phase three is the fight between the Warlord and the Predator, and Phase four is the reinforcements (which will probably ALSO just be a cutscene). Also, which of the four songs I pick do you think fits the most?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It has to be this way, definitely. The tone has a weight to it. It's fast paced, but definitely still serious. The lyrics also match well with how there are some parallels between the Predator Drone and the Warlord.

And honestly I think the Cleric Beast theme should be saved for when the Warlord is further along in the Proto-Avatar stage, just before the transition to full avatar.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Had to edit my post because somehow I forgot that the doctors were more than 150 miles away from Kolt.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:It Has To Be This Way-Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. This is an extended version, because the only other ones I could find either had a swear word in the channel name, or tried to turn it into a bad music video.
personally i prefer this version. which i'm certain is not biased by console preferences...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:It Has To Be This Way-Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. This is an extended version, because the only other ones I could find either had a swear word in the channel name, or tried to turn it into a bad music video.
personally i prefer this version. which i'm certain is not biased by console preferences...
Meh. I like this one better.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Added a thought I had this morning to Jennys' dialogue.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Guys, I'm sorry but I'm really tired today. I have no energy for anything right now and the next post is going to take a long time to write. As a result, I probably won't be able to write it tonight.
Last edited by CyberDragon on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:Guys, I'm sorry but I'm really tired today. I have no energy for anything right now and the next post is going to take a long time to write. As a result, I probably won't be able to write it tonight.
Well that lasted about two hours.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

*singing horribly* IIIIIII HAVE A PROOOOOOBLEEEEEEEEM! IIIIIII CAN'T GIIIIIVE MYSELF A BREAAAAAAAKE!

As you can see, I decided to post because I literally can't take a single day off without going crazy from boredom. So you see some of the mechanics: You have two things to keep track of. Power and Shielding. Power is the more important of the two. Using powers will drain power, with flight being a constant drain of 2% per turn. Other powers drain energy based on what the power level is listed as in the owner's character sheet. Traci's super speed is a 6, so Kolt using it drained 6% power.

Power can be regenerated. Ask Predator how.

Shields will deplete when you get hit. The Warlord will hit harder as the turns go on and he absorbs energy. Chewing on the Predator's head was a light attack in this case since the Warlord doesn't have much leverage or momentum in his actual attacks.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait, so we're not actually in his mouth? i thought there was more of a size difference.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Predator drone standing in it's bipedal stance is I believe 40 feet tall. The Warlord is between 40 and 50 feet tall.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay, i was picturing him being atleast twice our size.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:wait, so we're not actually in his mouth? i thought there was more of a size difference.
And now I need to rewrite my post again. Dang it.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

cruelty potential aside, every vertebrate i know of has major arteries running through the pelvis. if those stab wounds are coming faster than the healing factor can close them there should be a very real possibility of blood loss.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:cruelty potential aside, every vertebrate i know of has major arteries running through the pelvis. if those stab wounds are coming faster than the healing factor can close them there should be a very real possibility of blood loss.
Kolt is aware of that, but he’s also aware that when you’re facing a regenerator on the scale of the Warlord, doing damage quicker than they can heal is kinda what you should aim for. In the draft I wrote before I realized Kol was using the arms, he also went for the Warlord’s spine and eyes. Kolt fights dirty when the stakes get high.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I was trying to think of what this sequence reminded me of (a group of heroes having to become one to defeat a major villain) other than Power Rangers. Then I remembered.

This clip opens with the Heroes allies holding back the Villains' minions before the Villain arrives. The heroes are becoming one. And the one they're becoming isn't quite the one they planned, leading to one of the strangest final battles in live action TV.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Now that was just stinking hilarious. Makes me wonder if the champions of beacon will have some less serious and more wacky adventures in their future, heh.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Believe it or not, I didn’t intend Kolt’s statement to come off as dirty. He was supposed to be referring to the fact that with the way the Predator works, each of them could control a different part of the body at the same time, and how he likes the teamwork it lets them do. But because me and him are both idiots when it comes to stuff like this, he came off as a lot more suggestive. I will be addressing this in my next post, assuming nothing happens with the fight to distract me.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So, interesting fact: Cannon to the story, Varanians are capable of consuming up to 80% of their considerable body mass in a sitting. I didn't really know this, but that is actually how much a Komodo Dragon (the species they were mostly based around) is actually able to consume. I actually don't think I planned that. The difference would be that Varanians have a higher Cranial Kinesis, more like a snake than a Komodo Dragon.
(In hindsight I think I looked that up before when fleshing out Varanian biology and that's why I set it to 80% in the first place...)

Normally a Varanian of the Warlord's size would be unable to even consider actually swallowing a robot let alone one of the Predator drone's size, but then again he is possessed by the aspect of greed, so...

Anywho, I think next turn will probably reveal one of the Cupiditas's darker powers.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Now that the Warlord has gone Proto Avatar, I think it might be a good time to pull up this theme again.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'd almost forgotten that, sometimes, Jennys' most powerful weapon isn't her sonic blasts, it's her mouth.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:I'd almost forgotten that, sometimes, Jennys' most powerful weapon isn't her sonic blasts, it's her mouth.
A mouth's strongest asset is not how loud a noise it can make, but how sharp and silvered the words it creates.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a word can paint a thousand pictures."
Pierre - 0047ab | Wazan - FF0040

May I interest you in my RP, the Imaginarium?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So, this is more than a bit late, but I finally found the perfect music to play over the scene where Hivemind bombards the Warlord from orbit.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

my logic here is that one person can only make two, but seven people amalgamated into one should in theory be able to make 14.

like if Toga and Monoma both copied Bakugo, he wouldn't just stop being able to explode things, there'd just be three times as many explosions flying around.

that said, it means a minimum of five out of the seven of us need to be maintaining them every turn... If welsh is okay with it, jaken and kol makes 2, and we can probably treat the 'absorbed but idle' traci as number 3... leaving jenny kolt tatianna or ulrich, unless i've forgotten someone.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

PHASE 3: BEGIN!!!
Heroic Battle/Desperate Assault-Dragon Ball Super. Because I’ve had it set to play during a fight since the one with the assassins, and I refuse to push it back any longer.
Android 21 Theme (Evil)-Dragon Ball Fighterz. Because it has a good mix of menacing and triumphant, plus I just bought the game, sooooo.....
L’Impeto Oscuro- Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance Because nothing says climatic battle quite like violins.
As always, love to hear which one you think fits the most.
Also, Quint could technically maintain some of the portals.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if the portals used so far are any indication, it's also going to eat 25% of our power per turn, and doesn't actually stop him from using abilities, just cripples his mobility evasion and melee...
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just an FYI, I replaced one of the songs I recommended for the Warlord fight two posts ago with one that fit a bit better. Let me known what you think.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

*singing*
Guess who's back? Back again?

Welcome back, Rook!!!!!!
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i find it funny how we've gone from, beating him down, to beating our heads against a wall, to giving up on fighting and just trying to stun-lock him forever and let the scripted NPC do all the work.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I mean, I’m pretty sure stunlocking is the most we can do at this point. He’s a Proto-Avatar now, and we weren’t exactly doing all that much to him before.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

My aim was to get him progressively stronger for the majority of the fight, with him eventually becoming too strong to do damage to without using Titan's strength. The final part of the fight is about opening him up for opportunities for Titan to attack while trying not to get pulverized in one or two hits. Stunlocking him is one way to do that, but there are others, and there are even other things you can do to damage the Warlord more directly, albeit unconventionally.

And the stunlocking won't work forever. You guys aren't giving yourselves enough credit. You've lasted this long because you've adapted to his adaptations. When something doesn't work, you've tried something else. When knocking him off balance didn't work, you thought of the chem grenades. When fighting up close didn't work, you fought at a range. When energy attacks started making them stronger, you came up with the cryo grenade idea. You guys are clever, and you've caught me off guard a lot of times. I wasn't expecting the portal solution, but it worked at least for a bit.

You still have options, and some of them are even direct ones.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

If you’re wondering why Liz is acting like taking care of Snowball would be so difficult, it’s because she has no idea what taking care of an animal entails. Hivemind says cats are low maintenance, but she doesn’t know if that’s compared to something else or not. This is just another aspect of this universe where she’s completely clueless.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Weeeee, I love spending three hours on a post that isn't even that long or well written. Whoop Dee Doo...
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

in the words of abridged king kai,
"He... HE HUNG UP ON ME! HOW THE $&*# DID HE EVEN DO THAT?!"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure if that would actually work, but knowing the Kaal, it might at least make it more difficult for him to continue. Thing about Cupiditas (and most aspects) is he is largely instinctive and primitive. He exists in each individual Kaal node as much as he exists in the colony mind.

Still though, if he wants to continue, he's got to corrupt each individual node separately without using intellectual persuasion. Not going to be easy to do, and he doesn't exactly have time to waste around.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

when dealing with psychic entities, it's the thought that counts.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

But the aspects aren't psychic. They exist within. You aren't hearing the aspect telepathically communicate from outside, they exist inside the very substance of the mind, primitive or complex. He can speak in your mind because that's where it "lives".
-Champion Motto