Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by Buster »

...aparently my sense of humor still blindsides people...

But actually being serious for a moment, what he actually did was dissociate a few of his cognitive nodes from the colony; it's kind of hard to talk to someone who turned off his own concept of spoken language. internal or external.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fight's almost over. I think it's going to end within the next couple of turns.

Once it's over, everyone currently waiting to enter can enter when they please.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

You know, it’s almost a shame that there’s not going to be a boss fight against the head of this Celican conspiracy, because I think I’ve found the perfect song for it.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Wouldn't be much of a fight.

"Whateveryournameis, it's over. We found you. You've been implicated by countless witnesses and documents in the invasion of Celica and attempted assassination of Jaken."

"You'll never arrest me, and you'll never keep me behind bars! I will get out. I will win in the end, do you hear? I will..."
PUNCH!

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

"DiD sOmEoNe GeT tHe LiCeNsE nUmBeR oF tHaT tRaIn...?"
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well yeah, if you wanna be boring and not pull a Revengence.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:Wouldn't be much of a fight.

"Whateveryournameis, it's over. We found you. You've been implicated by countless witnesses and documents in the invasion of Celica and attempted assassination of Jaken."

"You'll never arrest me, and you'll never keep me behind bars! I will get out. I will win in the end, do you hear? I will..."
PUNCH!

*after a momentary pause with his head to the sideslightly, he just turns his gaze forward again, in a complete no-sell and grins.*

"Eldergods, son. Envy is a powerful thing... You can't hurt me Hivemind."
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:
CyberDragon wrote:Wouldn't be much of a fight.

PUNCH!

*after a momentary pause with his head to the sideslightly, he just turns his gaze forward again, in a complete no-sell and grins.*

"Eldergods, son. Envy is a powerful thing... You can't hurt me Hivemind."
Once again, I’m really wishing this forum was more Spacebattles, so I could like this post.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Funny, Buster. :D

Also, silly me I forgot to include the summary.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I hope you guys had fun with that boss fight. I worked really hard on that last post, and it took me almost 3 hours to write. You guys did great with this one, though admittedly Hivemind's probably going to have a little word with Kolt about being too willing to sacrifice himself. :P

Overall, I think at least some of the mechanics worked. You guys took to the resource management side of this well, and worked well as a team to survive an enemy that was deliberately OP and impossible to beat with the strength you were given.

Congratulations everyone!
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well, I feel like Mythos would’ve put something about it in the psych file Hivemind would’ve requested, though he also would’ve phrased it as “Subject has shown to be relatively more willing than most to sacrifice himself for others,” which, while technically accurate, severely understates the problem.
Also, I really hope you guys enjoy the next boss fight. It’s something I’ve been looking forward to for a while. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

A satisfying conclusion to a fun boss fight! The mechanic of everybody controlling Predator at once worked a lot better than initially thought it would and was lots of fun!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

You know, we’ve never actually stated what the Predator made his insides look like, so I’m choosing to believe they look like this.
Just imagine that instead of the hand puppet, there’s a pink slug thing lying on top of the control panel.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

given the way we were controlling it my mind was going in a more G-Gundam direction...
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Ah, so like Dino Charge then.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i said g-gundam, not the mutant offspring of Timeforce and Dinothunder. (It has convoluted a time travel bit as a plot device in the finale, it counts.)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

If anyone’s wondering what Kolt’s mutterings are a reference to, it’s to this.
Also, I like Dino Charge. But not the ending, that was garbage.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so do i but it still felt like someone tried to slap a butchered version of time force's ending onto dino thunder.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I had two Mice in my old fictions. Henry Postlethwaite was the first of those. Corp in the RP is kind of based on Corp Davidstow from those stories with a smattering of Postlethwaite thrown in for good measure. Whereas Corp was an agent in those stories after leaving the Army and somewhat younger, Henry was a retired soldier who'd enlisted as a security Chief.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

In case you didn't know the Warlord was a complete and total abomination monster before he went proto-avatar, here's this.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

uh, kol was reacting to jenny pulling out the proverbial megaphone. the responses to those two should be in the other order.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

fixed
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Oh that is going to hurt Kolt when he wakes up. He tried to help the ghosts feel better, but he only made things worse. ”I’m not sure why I expected anything else.”

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Every time I write a post while distracted, I can't help but worry about whether or not something I wrote was wrong, or dumb, or took things in the wrong direction, or didn't have enough thought put into it. This is one of those posts that I just can't be sure about until I've seen some sort of response.
-Champion Motto

FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

I'm a bit anxious right now. I wonder if I can have my character jump in now.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a word can paint a thousand pictures."
Pierre - 0047ab | Wazan - FF0040

May I interest you in my RP, the Imaginarium?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'd wait just a couple more turns. When the Hobo Wizard goes away, that's probably the best time to jump in. It's when you'll have the team's full attention.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, except for the two that have passed out, the three that have gone to lunch, the three out pet supply shopping, and the one beginning to question if everything since crashing into the ocean has been a hallucination, anyway.

that's kinda most of the reason why i want the twins to reset. i VASTLY underestimated how much this setting clashed with the one they were pulled from and it's going to break their minds eventually.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

There is a possible way for Flans' character to arrive. If they're on planet, Hannabelle, Hive and some of the Colorado Clan are about to go to an old military camp in the woods to look for survivors. Mayhaps she's been helping people get there?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:well, except for the two that have passed out, the three that have gone to lunch, the three out pet supply shopping, and the one beginning to question if everything since crashing into the ocean has been a hallucination, anyway.

that's kinda most of the reason why i want the twins to reset. i VASTLY underestimated how much this setting clashed with the one they were pulled from and it's going to break their minds eventually.
The universes we create are a reflection of ourselves. You are a very logical and intelligent person with great attention to detail. Your universe reflects your own personality, likes, and dislikes. Things adhere to fairly consistent and well thought out rules in your universe.

On the other hand, I am completely 100% insane. My brain broke long ago after I started questioning too many things, and my mind opened like an egg that was dropped out of an airplane.

This universe reflects my mind. The downside is you get some wonky and sort of mix-and-match world building like having ghosts, necromancers, and demigods in the same setting as space ships, aliens, and advanced technology. Those elements don't necessarily clash, especially when you add in super heroes that tend to bridge the gap between the two anyway, but it isn't a combination most settings would have. The upside is that there are literally limitless possibilities when you make your only restriction what your imagination can come up with. Nearly anything goes.

If you want to reset your characters to make it a bit easier for them to play in this setting, PM me and we can plan something out. I've already got something set up to let you reset Talya I think. Also, Hive should still have the new body he was working on for Kobor.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

honestly it's partially my own fault. i took the 'zombie mission' as scifi typical 'undead in name only' sort of scenario, you know, deadspace 1/2 type thing (there is no 3. anyone who says otherwise lies.), and more or less ignored it. passed the ship proportions off as 'rule of cool', despite the fact that if KSP taught me anything it was how much the difficulty of getting objects to accelerate/decelerate/course correct without bending/flexing/imploding in a reasonable amount of time, scaled with size. implying the 'bigger is more realistic' trope in sci-fi is an out-and-out lie as a ship that can't accelerate or decelerate without smushing itself is useless. (and also that strapping a "metal pizza" made out of 2000000 boosters to a lunar lander doesn't work. It DOES however send stray boosters going everywhere and demolishing the entire space center.)

the superpowers are actually the easiest bits to adapt; because gifts are a thing, that despite only having a single effect (expressed as Create, Control, or Negate "x" always one of those three never a mix) and always having the same weakness ('necessary' secondary powers are not included, and use causes cell deterioration/power drain directly proportional to the drop in Entropy that powering the gift is causing) and just in general being "emitter quirks i've nerfed to death". then there's the textbook definition of a psycher over there being "one who has achieved means of mental control over localized quantum effects, to achieve macroscopic change", with the limiting factor being the mental strain of making all of said microscopic changes individually, concurrently, and continuously, to achieve the desired effect. they're literally using meditative discipline to warp reality on a small scale.

between the two almost any individual power can be rationalized away, as long as it falls below a certain maximum scale threshold... which the aspects are on the wrong end of by an order of magnitude... another problem is that they both have strict rules. Like 'law of physics' or 'game engine parameter' strict, breaking them does not happen. period. basically neither was ever designed to accommodate the supernatural. Nothing in my 'Stellar Frontier' setting was.
Last edited by Buster on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's nobody's fault. Nobody did anything wrong.

Anyway, I'm aware of how realistically a ship of the Beacon's size would crush itself if it tried to accelerate, which is why the Beacon doesn't technically accelerate. Even for small movements, it uses something similar to the Alcubierre drive. Relative to the space it occupies, the Beacon doesn't move. I believe I've mentioned thrusters before, but now I'm going to say the Beacon doesn't really use thrusters. It's more convenient that way for my other RP anyway.

The zombies though... Those aren't sci-fi at all. That's super hero craziness there. More along the lines of the Black Lantern Corpse than Deadspace.

Anyway, I digress and perseverate. Would you like to discuss how we can fix this in a PM? Things will be easier if we formulate a plan.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Posted that one without really reading through and checking to see if I replied to everything. Let me know if I missed something.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Forgot to mention this earlier, but Ayla and Lila’s last names contain a hint as to how they died. If you’re curious, it should be pretty easy to google it.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The phrase 'When everyone coming was aboard' in the last post was to give anyone who wanted on board the Shuttle a chance to get on board during the post whilst still moving things forward a bit.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

So I kinda want to join but have a few questions.
1. How much of the story do I need to be caught up on?
2. I’m planning to give whatever character I make powers that make them seem like a ghost (I.e. flight, invisibility/camoflague, intangibility/phasing, and maybe telekinesis) how does power weight work when you want to have multiple powers? I don’t want to be overpowered though so I’ll understand if I need to focus on one.
3. Do new recruits tend to be brought/come into the ship or do they more often start off as already being part of them?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

1. I recommend you read up on the past 5 to 10 pages to understand the current context.
2. The power weight represents the power level of your strongest power. You can have other powers, but as long as they aren't as powerful as the main power, they don't factor in to the power level.
3. Typically they are brought in. None so far have started off being in the Champions. Not since one player who ended up leaving, anyway. Some characters lived on the Beacon and decided to join, others ended up being recruited during missions.

4. Now that the epilogue is over and things are moving on, anyone who was waiting to join may do so if you still want to.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the day frequently starts with humorous (or at-least i find them humorous) recaps of various team members morning routines, and a briefing about what's expected to happen that day. followed by a, to date, 3 in 5 chance that that a curve ball will completely derail that. past curveballs have included: zombie appocalipse, crashing ufo & sudden mech ambush, and alien invasion. followed by a 50/50 chance of random debate in the ooc area derails things further. and then most of the time there's a good chance what is basically a 40k Ruinous Power will show up and possess someone who was already pretty tanky, and the rp briefly turns into what honestly feels like a cross between DBZ, starwars, and MMPR to me. we even have our own megazord now. then we have down time before the end of day post.

we have overweight fox-ironman with telekinesis and a brain slug, sentient jello in a robot suit, a rodent with the small-arms skills of a Matrix character, a cavewoman in power armor who accidentally developed bits of Ronon Dex's personality, a friendly brain eating body-horor inducing parasite, talking armor with a bad attitude, a metal gear who is also a ___ ____ ninja, a surprisingly normal medic, the flash, chell from portal but doesn't need the portal gun, and Reinhardt with less armor. if you think you can out weird that, i'd like to see you try.

I'm serious by the way, i really do want to see what you can come up with. the crazy characters are half the appeal of this place.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:... a rodent with the small-arms skills of a Matrix character...
She's also a sonic cannon when she wants to be.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

honestly at this point, someone could probably walk in as a Zerg Hydralisk with a BNHA quirk and a spiderman costume, and the most response they'd get from the locals is "Oh, Hi frank! how was your weekend?"
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Buster wrote:sentient jello in a robot suit
You know, this makes me realize I haven't thought out exactly what the consistency would be like. A thing to ponder I suppose.

And yeah, Beacon is basically Professor Xavier's Academy with a hundred times the weirdness factor. The oddest thing would be the perfectly human janitor with no powers whatsoever.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Neon Icy Wings wrote:And yeah, Beacon is basically Professor Xavier's Academy with a hundred times the weirdness factor. The oddest thing would be the perfectly human janitor with no powers whatsoever.
Scruffy!
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie