Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

Well there's a wham line for ya. Gear's got a lot of explaining to do.

I really should implement some sort of penalty for deliberately making the guy who runs on hate, hate you even more. Like, I should strengthen his attacks or recharge his shields or something. Speeding up the timer I don't really think would be fair, but I feel there should be SOMETHING...
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I kinda expected something like that. I had it pegged down to either a family member or close friend.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Deske

Post by Deske »

Woo elemental damage! Damage reduction modifier for giving the being of hate even more hate to work with. Step down a level or something.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:Okay, I have no idea how big the magazines are, but I'm going to say that Kolt probably wouldn't include a helicopter when he's collecting debris. That's a bit much when including everything else.
modern deck guns on ships tend to use 127 mm (5 in), 70-pound (32kg) shells, fitted with burst charges for anti air use. i wouldn't expect the gun to hold more than 1-3 shells.

also, for reference, the power draw of that beam is the same as the output from an MCU style 1st generation miniature arc reactor.

EDIT: had to make a slight change to my post.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

PM'ed Rook about what the new kid will be doing for now. More info on him later.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Ok, since the shield is obviously bursting this turn and we are moving to the second part, I'd like to introduce some new mechanics that I'd like to follow in the second part.

First, though, I should explain how I'm going to determine the progress you guys are making.

Light attacks, such as those from pistols, standard rifles, and other standard attacks, keep the shield from recharging. They make about 10% progress to the next level of shield damage.

Medium attacks, such as throwing large objects, light attacks that have an elemental advantage, small explosives, and other more powerful attacks make about 50% progress to the next level of shield damage.

Heavy attacks, such as throwing large explosive objects (such as the helicopter), level 6 power attacks (like Tatiana's full charged kinetic blast), and overcharged beam attacks (like what Talya just did) will advance the progress a full level of shield damage.

The levels are:
Full -> Strong -> Good -> Fair -> Damaged -> Poor -> Broken

For the next round, I want to implement a new mechanic, going a little against my "no luck" rule. He is going to be airborne and farther away, so I want a chance for a shot to miss him, but I don't want to godmode it by accident. I was thinking of giving him a 25% chance to dodge a heavy attack, determined by a random number generating program. Medium and light attacks will still hit normally. This will make the next round a bit more challenging, but I think it will still be fair. What do you think?
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so burning an Ult knocks it down a full level, good to know, and if he only 6 points of shields, and was at 3.5 based on the tally at the end of the previous round, -3 this round would mean his shields are about to fail wouldn't it?

as to RNG as long as it's fair, fine by me.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Oh, yeah. his shields failed. Big time, no question. However, as I mentioned in the original rules, dropping his shields is mostly so that Gear can take a shot and truly get to the man inside the mech. Then his shields recharge and it's on to the next stage of the fight. Do this three times (because that's how boss fights boss...) and he will become too injured for the corruption to compensate for and too injured to continue the fight.

As for the RNG, I'm going to write a program for it once I finish the post. I was hoping to factor in the attacker's luck stat as well. I guess we'll see. It should be fair though.

Woo! The RNG is done and it takes the player luck stat into account. ^^
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Character Name: Jaken Gastanvar

Codename: “Portal”

Color: This color=#BF4040

Type: Main

Species/Breed: Celican (Fox)

Neighborhood: Beacon Of Hope

Powers:  Jaken isn’t sure how he came by his abilities. He’d been on the lam from home for a short time when he discovered he could teleport. By concentrating, he can pull distances to him (as he describes it) and open connecting holes for a moment at a tine and pass through them. Longer distances tire him although he has some way of avoiding landing in solid objects there can be trouble if he’s teleporting long distances. He could, for example, end up in a box. Or 500ft up. His power causes electrical distortion at both ends of the hole but he has no clue he’s doing that.

Weakness: Teleporting tires him, the further the worse. Short range 'hops' of about fifty yards are nothing but three hundred is a strain and further is hazardous. In close quarters he can open a maximum of two portals or arrange a portal so that someone firing a weapon into it may actually shoot themselves in the back. But he cannot keep that up for long. Has ragged claws but has located a thin pair of gauntlets with metal claws capable of damaging armour. As he doesn’t have the rest of the armour, using it makes his hands hurt. He’s broken a few bones before now.

Appearance: Ragged and thin but wiry. Hungry – usually – but fit as Celica is a hunting world. He’s done OK for himself. Somewhere along the line he lost the black fur part of his marking leaving him with white ‘gloves’ and ‘socks’ and nose lines. Several cracked teeth. He wears non-descript clothes he found after arriving on the planet.

Personality: He’s not sure of people. They have to prove themselves to him before he’ll trust them. When he sees something he wants he’ll do what he needs to get it. Since arriving on the Beacon, he’s tried to keep that to legal ways but, every so often, some food items will ‘vanish’. He’s self trained in parkour like skills and there’s few things he can’t climb. He's a good tracker, usually going by instinct. He likes to keep in trim. Celicans like their bodies.

Other notes:  He heard of Earth from older travellers and decided to check it out. Now he's seen it, he'd like to leave.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats: 
- Strength: 2
- Perception: 9
- Endurance: 8
- Charisma: 4
- Intelligence: 4
- Agility: 9
- Luck: 5
- Power: 4
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Woo! Testing and further refining the RNG program. Let's suppose Ulrich, Jenny, Talya, and Tatiana launched heavy attacks. I just put their names and luck stats in and run.

Output is, *drumrolls*
Player Ulrich hit!
Player Jenny hit!
Player Talya hit!
Player Tatiana missed...

And that's how I plan on deciding who's heavy attacks hit, and who misses.

Testing again:
Player Ulrich missed...
Player Jenny hit!
Player Talya hit!
Player Tatiana hit!
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Uh, welsh, jenny does remember the ship had just finished a barrage against the mech when it attacked the ship, right? would they have had enough time to reload that thing? assuming these guns are comparable to the article i linked, It takes less than a minute to expend the magazine and those shells aren't small or light.

i didn't guess a low number loaded earlier, because of capacity, i guessed that because of how long i figured it would take to reload...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It had fired one shot. This is the main gun on the ship, not the machine guns. But it will take time to reload, yes. Even with the systems help. This one was quick because the mech dislodged the power cord before it could fire again. Jenny just reconnected it. After this shot, she'll have to reload or think of something else.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Is it wrong that I’m finding it really easy to write the dialogue for Kolt insulting and bullying the Riku expy?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I don't think it's wrong. he IS trying to kill you. Though I should give a warning, I didn't implement it in this stage of the fight because with him flying overhead he won't be able to hear the taunting, but in stage 3 if you deliberately increase his hatred by taunting him, his shields will regenerate a full stage. Also, I was thinking attacking him out of hatred for him will cause his shields to regenerate for the amount of damage you would have inflicted. I think adding these on in the final stage should make it quite a bit more challenging.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

That sounds okay, as long as it differentiates between attacking out of hatred and attacking out of anger. Kolt’s in the latter group right now. He’s mad as can be at Riku expy right now for searing off part of his tail (the Concertians take their tails really seriously you guys), but he finds him too pathetic to hate. Just another mindless, revenge obsessed villain, who clearly hasn’t thought any of this out ahead of time.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Same logic could be applied to Talya. When she snaps from isolation its not driven by negative emotions, quite the oposite, bit by bit she devolves into a psychotic sociopath causing damage solely for entertainment. Madness =\= Hate.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fair enough. If I make a mistake on that, please tell me.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Aw, did you guys get me a hunting buddy?" *huge grin and Starry anime eyes*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

All right, running the RNG now...
Jenny hit!

Writing the post now.

XP
I forgot the timer. just a sec.

EDIT: Time for my next post. Let's see how lucky Ulrich is, shall we?
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So I am going to fully admit that I underestimated how much food Kol was carrying, and that post was my way of trying to keep Kolt from dying from too much energy. Sorry if anything felt off there.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

You're a medium creature, she's a 9-strength large creature, and she was carying as much as she could lift.

I was expecting him to pick out a few favorites...

:mrgreen: on the upside, a heavy attack, a fastball, and a super attack could potentially bring his shield from 4 down to 1, and there's only two turns left til talya's beam is off cooldown.

:( Still, Kol, and I'd imagine kolt will likely both need atleast a full turn to recover from the improvised super attack, considering you implied fastballing her as the opening, and blinking her back to the deck at the end.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

*Facepalms*

I JUST SPENT THE LAST HOUR AND A HALF MAKING A POST AND NOW I HAVE TO MODIFY IT AND RUN THE ALGORITHM AGAIN! :evil:

And that counts as TWO heavy attacks, though plus Ulrich that's three, so... I guess you're right. But you are both going through the RNG to decide if you hit.

Dice of Games, Roll roll roll, tell me which players have taken their toll...
Player Kol missed...
Player Kolt hit!

I have regrets about that rhyme... :P
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Oh Kolt is definitely going to be out of commission for the next turn. He’s probably going to spend it apologizing to Kol while puking his guts out.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Lego, she's unconscious. She had her helmet off because it was broken, remember?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

He’s too busy puking to notice that.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'll have Hivemind notice that next turn and get Tempest to send her to Rika.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

So, i decided to figure out just how long Talya could fire the canon without plugging into the ship, since it's kinda floating scrap, if i go by my original specs for her, she has a maximum battery life of 50MWh, which is supposed to last her about a week under normal load.

the canon at full power continuous fire, would chew through her maximum amount of available power in 30 seconds...
accounting for power already depleted due to the partial recharge and fixing the thermal damage the canon did to itself when it overheated, and assuming she wants enough left to not immediately go into low power mode, the longest she'll be able to fire is 20 sec. less than half the firepower she hit the mech with last time (45 sec).
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Hey, sorry for the wall of exposition and, in essence, talking to myself.. I'm kinda trying to flesh out Rika a little more..
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

There is a reason Jenny wasn't so badly affected by the sonic boom attack as everyone else. It'll probably be revealed soon.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

No heavy attacks this turn. Though the mech's shields are almost completely gone. I'm still working on the mechanics for the next part of the fight, but here are a few that I'm considering:

1: Overshields. The mech has two extra levels of shielding.
2: Fueled by Hate: The mech regenerates a full level when taunted. The mech absorbs damage done when attacked out of hatred.
2.2: Dark Whispers: Odium will cause mild hallucinations and whisper dark thoughts as attacks in order to get the player to attack out of hatred.
3: Reinforced Shields: The mech's shields are reinforced by increased hatred. They take twice as many hits to reduce.

I was thinking of using two of these, but not all three. Then again, it might only take one of them. If it's only one, then #2/#2.2 I personally think is the most interesting.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

I mean it was a sonic boom so pretty much nobody should have done anything but cover their ears.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

If I'm not wrong, a sonic boom is a pressure wave generated by an aircraft when it travels faster than sound. A big enough aircraft going fast enough and traveling close enough could in theory generate a sonic boom that's more like an explosion's shockwave.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

were it an aircraft, sure, there would be noise, a bit of wind, maybe some minor vibration damage, but that's because aircraft are designed to be as sleek and aerodynamic as possible, and the ones that can move that fast tend to be designed to MINIMIZE the intensity of the mach cones they create, because the mach effects can destroy the plane if it's designed wrong.

also they don't deliberately try to fly close enough to smack you, intensity is relative to distance.

eenyhoo, dragging air creates noise and turbulence, and a mech is usually pretty brick-ish, so it's going to have a LOT of drag. Hundreds of times more than a plane. were this realistic it would have generated enough turbulence to tear itself apart the moment it reached the sound barrier, but because it's not, WE have to deal with that shock instead. and as CD said, the mach cone amplifies that into a pressure wave.

Also, stacking overshileds and reinforced shields together is both cheap and silly. if you're going to drop one of the three, let it be a shield buff.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:eenyhoo, dragging air creates noise and turbulence, and a mech is usually pretty brick-ish, so it's going to have a LOT of drag. Hundreds of times more than a plane. were this realistic it would have generated enough turbulence to tear itself apart the moment it reached the sound barrier, but because it's not, WE have to deal with that shock instead. and as CD said, the mach cone amplifies that into a pressure wave.
Well, of course, her power only SEEMS LIKE a sonic boom. But it was similar enough for her to have had some immunity. It IS more noise than power though as her power indicator is low enough and she has to focus.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:Also, stacking overshileds and reinforced shields together is both cheap and silly. if you're going to drop one of the three, let it be a shield buff.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing 1 and 2, or 2 and 3. 1 and 3 wouldn't be a fun combination. It'd just be like one of those lame high hp false-difficulty bosses. I think I'm going to end up going with 1 and 2. Overshields and Hatred powers. Those make the most sense.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:1 and 3 wouldn't be a fun combination. It'd just be like one of those lame high hp false-difficulty bosses
"you can nullify EVERYTHING i throw at you, land every attack, and always do max damage, and I will STILL take two hours to beat because my HP bar is absurd, and i have passive regen!"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Exactly. That's why I'm not doing it. I want it to at least be possible to beat him. There is a timer after all.

Can you imagine a super-high hp boss with a timer? *shudders*
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Yes, Emerald Weapon, if you forgot to equip 'Underwater'. The Emerald and Ruby Weapons were as stupidly durable as overpowered superbosses got back then.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Bluuuuuh.... I wish this transition fell on a day where I was feeling better. *flops*

Okay, let's see what I can do here. Seems like only the Mech can move.

I'll give it a couple more hours.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Talya's cooldown will end with the mechs turn, so it's better for me to wait, and stay below decks where I'm harder to lock onto until then.