Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

Looks good. It will be a little bit before you can join, even if I didn't have a policy to follow. We're about to get into some stuff and it will be tough to join until said stuff is done anyway.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I'm having trouble putting this into words, but while conflicting powers is certainly a valid argument, ingestion of contaminated matter is a way a LOT of parasites spread, the vast majority of them in fact, so i don't understand why hivemind thinks that would be less effective. as for what they can and can't infect, any debate on that would be circular regardless of which side is arguing. hivemind's never seen anything that could infect the space-lizzard-men, while the Toned-Down-X-Parasites have never encountered something they CANT infect.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

This would sound like a case of the unstoppable spear and the unbreakable shield if it weren't for one thing: Talya has encountered something that cannot be infected. Hivemind.

When they first met, Talya hooked up to a hive droid. By doing so, she connected to the droid's nervous system that was linked to Solomon's mind. Even this indirect contact with Hivemind let him almost completely take over her entire colony almost immediately. He stopped because he didn't want to cause harm. The Kaal infect things by eating their nervous system and replacing it, right? Well, they if they can't so much as touch Hivemind without coming completely under his control, they can't infect him. The second any of the individual Kaal (I forgot singular vs plural, sorry. :| ) try to infect him or any of his droids, he takes them over and forces them to stop. That is just one example of a power that can prevent infection. Another character with an immunity would be the Good Doctor, who can make infections die just by telling them to. Basically, it's not so much a conflicting power, there are powers that make any sort of biological infection impossible. Because Talya knows about Hivemind's power, she should probably keep in mind the possibility of some powers making infection completely impossible.

As for the Varanians, Hivemind has noticed that they seem to be adapted to be able to ingest and process any sort of animal or animal-like matter, even things that would be completely incompatible with other species with their biology. He doesn't know for absolute sure if this would remain the same for the Kaal, but he has his doubts.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I actually have a question about Kaal biology. Namely, how much of an affect does the original mind and personality have on the Kaal that takes over. Like, say nineteen years from now June’s body is about to expire, and Kolt’s on deaths door from some battle, and he decides to give his body to her in some sorta “save them both” thing, how much of an impact will Kolt’s personality have on June?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:Talya has encountered something that cannot be infected. Hivemind.
that's a conflicting power, not a species wide characteristic though.

as for proper pluralizations, i dropped the dual spelling months ago because nobody seemed to be able to keep it straight.
Legotron123 wrote:I actually have a question about Kaal biology. Namely, how much of an affect does the original mind and personality have on the Kaal that takes over.
very very little.
Legotron123 wrote:Like, say nineteen years from now June’s body is about to expire, and Kolt’s on deaths door from some battle, and he decides to give his body to her in some sorta “save them both” thing,
well, firstly, infesting someone who's already dying doesn't work. if the host body isn't healthy enough to survive the strain of the infestation process, it just speeds up them dying. so that's less a 'save them both' scenario and more a 'get them both killed' scenario. The lifespan of the host body is directly proportion to it's overall health at the time of infestation.
Legotron123 wrote:how much of an impact will Kolt’s personality have on June?
secondly, she wouldn't retain anything of kolt himself. RHI would provide her enough information to accurately mimic his manerisims and behavior, as facilitating that act is it's purpose, but it's just that. an act. that said, Kaal don't infest sentients often enough to know that, to them it's anyones guess how much of the host survives. they don't know the answer is "nothing".
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well, that at least settles my concerns that infecting the Warlord would just make a monstrous cannibal Kaal.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Kobor is not Carnage.
FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

CyberDragon wrote:Looks good. It will be a little bit before you can join, even if I didn't have a policy to follow. We're about to get into some stuff and it will be tough to join until said stuff is done anyway.
Well. I was hoping I could jump in, but I suppose that waiting is a good idea since remembering the locations of every character and what they did recently is like finding where the solar system ended. I mean, I already forgot the name of the planet.

I'm taking a review. My modus operandi for bringing Wazan to the fray was having him arrive in the airspace (space-space?) of the planet in an ancient starboat, thinking that the ships and explosions are simply festivities.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a word can paint a thousand pictures."
Pierre - 0047ab | Wazan - FF0040

May I interest you in my RP, the Imaginarium?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Given that the Warlord fight is so soon, It's best to hold off on joining at least until it's over. I'm afraid if you joined now, it would be too much happening at once. Most characters would be too busy to acknowledge your character's entrance into the rp.
-Champion Motto

FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

You know, I think that I use male characters in RPs too often. I think I'll change the gender of my character to a she. I'm kinda inclined to refer to them as such. Permission to tweak sheet?
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a word can paint a thousand pictures."

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Go ahead.

Also, a general announcement, Rook is officially taking a break from the RP. Rook says good luck, and that they still want to play, but RL is getting in the way. Rook will be joining again when they're ready.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Well, I wanted to give Seena something to do...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Um, has this RP open for new characters to join right now? Not really sure how this works yet so just asking
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

This RP is accepting new players, however I have a sort of policy about who is accepted. It's because a lot of people have joined this game only to find it either was too fast for them to keep up, or that they didn't want to RP anymore. As a result, I'm only accepting people who have been reasonably active in any of the other RPs in this forum for a certain period of time. This is so that I can make sure you are someone who is going to stick around and keep playing with us for a while. ^^

You can feel free to make a character for this RP and submit it for approval. I will PM you and we can talk more.

EDIT: Also, to address what Buster's post set up, where the RP lies on the scale of Sci-Fi often depends on what part you're in. Most of the universe is "Today, but with fancier toys" kind of science fiction. The world operates under largely the same rules as our own, but with a lot better technology. This is what life is like for civilians and most species.

However, there are places, people, and species that exist where it almost seems like the physical laws of the world... glitched.
Powers, for example, each operate under their own set of rules, and each person's power might operate differently. Sometimes though, physics "glitches" in similar ways, like how both Kolt and Tatiana can be considered telepathic, but the telepathy works differently.
Sometimes, these glitches can happen in DNA or whatever a species uses as it's genetic material. That's how you get characters like Tempest and Eira who were born with powers. Species like the ones made of light and the ones made of dark or the ones with lava for blood resulted from what I suppose you could consider super-powered evolution.
When physics "glitches" in this universe, usually most other physical laws are still in effect. That's why there is usually some kind of logic to powers. When almost no physical laws remain unglitched, you get a reality warper like Justus.

As for ghosts... souls exist in this universe, and sometimes don't go where they're supposed to when a person dies. *shrug*
I could go into things, but it would get kinda long and complicated and I don't really know how much talk of souls the forums would allow, so for now I'll just say that metaphysical and abstract things like love and hate and peace and fear and so on can under certain cercumstances come over to and interact with the physical world. Often through one of the above mentioned reality glitches.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:Correct! While I definitely think that it fits Odium perfectly, it was the only song I could find that absolutely fit the, for lack of a better turn, unholy abomination the Warlord has been built up to be. A cannibalistic mini-kaiju that absorbs the powers of those it eats, that is immune to all but the strongest blows, and who only get stronger the more you attack it.
*gets an idea*
*grins evilly*

Oh, I know a way to get the Warlord to deserve that fight music. Mwahahaha!
CyberDragon wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Whoa..." Sana started as the Warlord arrived and started his actions, from taking a bite to almost swatting the Archangel. "We need to..."
"HEY, YOU," Seena shouted into her radio, thinking hard of the Warlord and trying not to think of Colorado and the others just now. "Yes, YOU! The winner of the Varanian smacked **** competition! The one who is OBVIOUSLY compensating for something! I'm talking to you!" She rose to her feet, her tail twitching as she continued her tirade. " The Varanian so ugly that, when he was born, the mother shot the Doctor! The Varanian so thick construction companies want to use his brain in place of mortar! This is your conscience speaking! I know we haven't talked much but it's been like trying to drill through concrete with a butter knife! " And so she kept on insulting him, trying to distract him from the Archangel tablet he'd been about to swallow for as long as she could.
A voice spoke through the radio. It wasn't the Warlord's low growl. It was dark, cold, wicked, taunting, even seductive. "He... heeheehee... can't... hear you... now..."

The voice sent chills through Hivemind's circuits.

"He... hears... only me... only me... he takes... what he wants... heeheh..."
........this is my fault isn’t it?

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

CyberDragon wrote:I don't really know how much talk of souls the forums would allow,
This is all fiction and it's your own universe. As long as you're not claiming to be representing any real-world religions you can say what you like about souls and heaven and hell and stuff. Just like Rick did in the comic. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

An early version of Corps' exo-frame exists. (He calls it a knife rig as there are knives attached.)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... t-15228169
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Now that Jaken has opened a portal into the Warlord’s stomach, this seems like the perfect time to ask if;
A. His kinetic absorption also works on things that hit him from the inside, or if there’s nothing stopping Kolt or MT from firing some super weapon through the portal and shredding everything between his stomach and his skull.
B. There’s some lake or pond nearby that Jaken can open a portal to and just have the big guy drown to death.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

There isn't anything keeping them from trying, but yes, his kinetic absorption works on the inside too. He can still be hurt, but he has regeneration. Bombing his gut would probably take him out of commission for a turn, but he would come back stronger.
As for drowning him, I don't think there is a body of water large enough and close enough to do that.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CyberDragon wrote:There isn't anything keeping them from trying, but yes, his kinetic absorption works on the inside too. He can still be hurt, but he has regeneration. Bombing his gut would probably take him out of commission for a turn, but he would come back stronger.
Imagine the size of the antacid tablets he'd need.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

I though that this would be like a Godzilla battle, but I was wrong. I wonder what would be the counterpart of Greed. Charity? Generosity? Kindness? Temperance? Content?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

As a disclaimer before I move things along, yes I know things are going to get confusing. It will just be for a turn.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m calling it now: the Warlord is going to be hit by the orbital bombardment, and when the dust settles, he’s moved from pre-proto-Avatar to fully blown proto-Avatar.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

or maybe he'll react to being bombarded by warheads the way Devatox' minions do: getting at least 10x bigger. (i miss the days when they could get away with stuff that stupid... thats the problem with being around long enough for people to have expectations. any time you deviate from em you have to work twice as hard.)
FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

Buster wrote:or maybe he'll react to being bombarded by warheads the way Devatox' minions do: getting at least 10x bigger. (i miss the days when they could get away with stuff that stupid... thats the problem with being around long enough for people to have expectations. any time you deviate from em you have to work twice as hard.)
Sush. The battle will surely drag on with comments like that, though that will be interesting. The villain surviving the orbital bombardment is clearly what's going to happen (it's a must for the plot, I can feel).

I wonder how you'll pull off the defeat of this guy. The suspense is killing me. I currently have no definite idea.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Overkill? What's this word "Overkill" you speak of?
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

CyberDragon wrote:Overkill? What's this word "Overkill" you speak of?
When you do more than double the enemies health in damage so instead of just outright killing them, you outright kill them but more.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I like how everybody is just a little bit afraid of Hivemind right now. Kolt's change in tone was especially funny. :lol:
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kolt really didn’t change his tone all that much. I edited my post to make this more clear, but what he said after the blast is exactly what he was planning on saying before the blast. Hivemind is currently in the same mental category as his old team leader Mythos; nice guys, but if they’re ever controlled by some villain, RUN.

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sorry for double posting, buuuuuuuuuuuut............
CyberDragon wrote: "Gladly." MT flew closer to the pit and was about to launch a couple of grenades into it when he stopped.

"I can hear someone down there... Human. Female. In her fifties or sixties. She's screaming."
:twisted:
PHASE 2: BEGIN!!!

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

No joke, I played that just now while playing Splatoon and I felt so awesome listening to it, my performance seemed to increase. I was just tearing the opponents apart left and right with my ballpoint splatling gun to a grand latin choir singing about blood, and it was epic. :D :lol:
-Champion Motto

FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

I really hope that the lack of radiation is not hyperphotosynthesis in action, and the scream is not a Polly-want-a-cracker act.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Why's that?
-Champion Motto

FlanDab

Post by FlanDab »

Nothing really. I'm just anxious. Let's say I'm invested in the characters and story, so I worry of their well-being.

What I meant really is that I hope the Warlord didn't just absorb the radiation, and have a voice mimicking ability.

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

FlanDab wrote:Nothing really. I'm just anxious. Let's say I'm invested in the characters and story, so I worry of their well-being.

What I meant really is that I hope the Warlord didn't just absorb the radiation, and have a voice mimicking ability.
I’m pretty sure that scream is just his orb. It’s been doing that throughout the fight, whenever he uses a power from someone he’s eaten.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:I’m pretty sure that scream is just his orb. It’s been doing that throughout the fight, whenever he uses a power from someone he’s eaten.
You really know how to relieve a person's stress, don't you Lego? :lol:

PS: Don't panic MT isn't dead. I made that clear at the bottom of the post, but in case you missed that part...
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Just in case anyone was, ah, concerned, Cyber reminds us that, being reptilians, Varanians don't really need clothing for modesty. Although you will see his wounds for the time they're regenerating.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Deske, Welsh, slow down a bit please. You're leaving us in the dust.

The next stage of the fight hasn't started yet. Not officially, anyway. It should be officially triggered after my next post, which I hope to write soon.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Never expected to hear that again.