Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Buster »

in support of leaf's counter argument, the invention of wire, for use in jewelry, primitive weapons, and musical instruments, predates the discovery of electricity IRL, by almost 4000 years. so it very well could be an actual literal cable, as in a coiled bundle of wire, and still not count as modern tech.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

ok, I'll edit it to make sense in universe
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

... um, I’m not sure I follow the physics on what you said. If you’re trying to force a reason for you to go to the guild as you no longer have a home, you realize you could have just gone there on your own, no detour necessary
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Well, I felt like I needed him to have his home burn down, also, I didn't even think about the guild when I wrote that
Rp characters
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Why was it necessary Hawk, the map Buster gave you was likely meant to help you find the Rising Village as I believe you told the character she was playing that you were trying to find the place. The detour doesn’t make sense considering that
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Umm. He was just going home, then he accidentally burned his house down, why is this so confusing? Wait, electrified water can catch things on fire, right?
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

actually no. it can't. electrical fires are the result of heat build up due to imperfections in the wiring combined with excessive/shorted current.

water would ground the charge too quickly, and increase the minimum combustion temperature. the reason they tell you not to use water on an electrical fire is because; sure, it'll work, but the charge will ground into YOU, and then you'll get electrocuted for your trouble.
Last edited by Buster on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

well he did use it on the whole bucket...
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

that's not the point, the point is a bucket of water can not be the flash-point of an electrical fire. PERIOD.
it doesn't contain any combustible material, and can't possibly hold a charge long enough to produce significant heat.

and that still doesn't answer WHY the fire needs to happen in the first place!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Gameb18oy wrote:It be a problem if we were focusing on combat, but we likely won’t be doing that.
Without much combat, are we going to get EXP from other means, or are we going to stay about the same level the entire time, never growing or evolving?
Gameb18oy wrote:Speaking of though, never asked if you’re an alolan or Kanto ratatta
Trent is a Kantoan Ratatta. We have enough Dark types as it is ;). Should I edit my character sheet to change it from having "fairly normal" imply that he's not Alolan to something more descriptive like 'he's a quadrupedal rat with two long whiskers and mostly purple fur, but with tan fur on his underbelly, two spots on his forehead and the tips of his ears'?
Hawkfang42 wrote:Well, there are link cables in the universe for crying out loud, LINK CABLES
I would've used an Upgrade as an example, but that's just me. I can't blame your for not knowing this because it's from a different thread, but when the idea for this RP was coming together it was decided that anachronisms that were obviously grafted from the main series would be substituted for for low-tech equivalents or we'd lampshade any implications. For example, TMs are going to be books instead of CDs and partially phased out in favor of move touters, and Pokémon like Porygon, Genesect, and other fossil Pokémon are treated as if they happened to evolve like that and live in the same time as this is set.
The cape comes with the promotion.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Stop making my head hurt.
Rp characters
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:It be a problem if we were focusing on combat, but we likely won’t be doing that.
Without much combat, are we going to get EXP from other means, or are we going to stay about the same level the entire time, never growing or evolving?
Gameb18oy wrote:Speaking of though, never asked if you’re an alolan or Kanto ratatta
Trent is a Kantoan Ratatta. We have enough Dark types as it is ;). Should I edit my character sheet to change it from having "fairly normal" imply that he's not Alolan to something more descriptive like 'he's a quadrupedal rat with two long whiskers and mostly purple fur, but with tan fur on his underbelly, two spots on his forehead and the tips of his ears'?
Hawkfang42 wrote:Well, there are link cables in the universe for crying out loud, LINK CABLES
I would've used an Upgrade as an example, but that's just me. I can't blame your for not knowing this because it's from a different thread, but when the idea for this RP was coming together it was decided that anachronisms that were obviously grafted from the main series would be substituted for for low-tech equivalents or we'd lampshade any implications. For example, TMs are going to be books instead of CDs and partially phased out in favor of move touters, and Pokémon like Porygon, Genesect, and other fossil Pokémon are treated as if they happened to evolve like that and live in the same time as this is set.
Whichever description you like better will work. Also, I’m not entirely sure we’ve settled on how exp will work in this world, but we do intend on letting players get stronger over time, otherwise levels lose their meaning
Hawkfang42 wrote:Stop making my head hurt.
I don’t think what he said was that complicated, try and keep it lowtech, and things that don’t work as well in this world are replaced with things that can, and time frames Pokémon would need to be in to exist are mostly ignored aside from moments where it might make the story more interesting
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

[post removed, overreaction]
Last edited by Buster on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster, there is no reason to take that tone.

Hawk this is what I mentioned in the PMs. You need to learn the reality of the game you are playing. It's not all going to be clear in an instant, but if you aren't sure of something, please ask a GM to be safe.

And while I disagree with Buster's phrasing, you do tend to have seriously chaotic posts where things appear to happen without much cause. This tends to break people out of the game's immersion, and is something you should work on.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

While I don’t condone Buster getting antagonistic, I do agree with some of the stuff she’s saying. Hawk, I can’t help but feel you aren’t putting any effort into your posts, and I’ve felt this way for awhile. You don’t seem to be working to make them better either. Considering how I’ve also felt some of your posts in OOC have come across as being a bit mean when unwarranted, I think I’m being generous with this request, please put more work into your posts or I’m gonna ask you not continue this RP as you’re making it harder for people to get into it.

... I wrote this as Cyber replied. It seems he echoes most of my points. I’m happy to know the GMs seem to be on the same page
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CD, GB18, I'm sorry, i'm just exceedingly frustrated. I overstepped.
I thought if i could distract him from needing to grab attention for a while he'd get better, but i ditched that cause he was driving me up the wall.

Hawk, posts aren't just dialogue and 'big' events. Descriptions, minor actions, hints at facial expressions or voice tones, ANYTHING other than bland 'safe' answers that barely even answer the question asked, are kinda necessary.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

“GB18” ... dang that’s a cool way to refer to me. Anyway, so long as it doesn’t become a pattern with you, no harm done
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I was reading back through, and I feel I should clear something up.

It's always sounded to me like the Exploration Society is more of a foundation that hosts guilds, from Wigglytuff's Guild, through the guild in Super Mystery Dungeon. I don't remember if Super Mystery Dungeon's guild was named or not.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The only named guild I could find was Wigglytuff's guild, which leads me to believe the branches don't really have names and are referred to by whomever the Guildmaster is.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:The only named guild I could find was Wigglytuff's guild, which leads me to believe the branches don't really have names and are referred to by whomever the Guildmaster is.
Translation: if you want a goofy name for the guild, gonna have to think of something funny to nickname Hagane. But seriously, if we hold to that idea or not depends on if people really want a name for the guild, otherwise we’re going with the explanation Cyber came up with
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

It was less a point on giving the guild a name, and more that the Exploration Society is a different entity entirely; one that is above the guilds, even if it doesn't hold any influence over how the guilds operate. It's never exactly fully explained, just that it's there and does something with all the information the various guilds gather about their area of operation.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:It was less a point on giving the guild a name, and more that the Exploration Society is a different entity entirely; one that is above the guilds, even if it doesn't hold any influence over how the guilds operate. It's never exactly fully explained, just that it's there and does something with all the information the various guilds gather about their area of operation.
Hmm, I’ll get back to you on this then, honestly might be worth expanding on
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Leafolawl wrote:I was reading back through, and I feel I should clear something up.

It's always sounded to me like the Exploration Society is more of a foundation that hosts guilds, from Wigglytuff's Guild, through the guild in Super Mystery Dungeon. I don't remember if Super Mystery Dungeon's guild was named or not.
I think this discussion is being bogged down by the use of the word "guild". In all four generations, you played as part of an organization that did basically the same thing, but Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky was the only one with guild in its name. In Red and Blue Rescue Team, you form, well, a Rescue Team that your character names (in the anime it was named Team Go-Getters). In Gates to Infinity, your partner names the place you create "Paradise". Where are you getting the idea that there is an Exploration Society in charge of other guilds. In Super, you join the Expedition Society and they function independently from other groups, just like the organizations in previous games. The question of what were the names of the guilds in each game is faulty not because they didn't have names, but because instead of a guild they were a team or a society or whatever hot mess Gates was.
The cape comes with the promotion.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Now that things have calmed down, who's turn is it?
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Deske went last on the stuff unrelated to Hawk, so I guess whoever wants to respond to his last thing... considering he was chuckling at Kimera, I kinda think you’re the next one with any sense of obligation.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm waiting for someone to respond to Kimera's bit about his name and/or Trent responding to Kimera's offer of a seat. Then Hagane is waiting on either you or Lego.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:I'm waiting for someone to respond to Kimera's bit about his name and/or Trent responding to Kimera's offer of a seat. Then Hagane is waiting on either you or Lego.
Cyber, I think I did respond to this
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Right. >.<

It got chaotic pretty quickly. I forgot.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Trying to write an odd mixture of confusion at an affectionate hug, not knowing that it's a hug and defaulting to 'Theyre trying to catch him' and a bit of questioning the trust he's put into another character is hard. I can't tell if I overdid it or if I just plain didn't get my point across or even if I just didn't describe the intermingling of these feelings correctly.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Buster used confusion on Deske!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

In case anyone was wondering about the mysterious healer pokemon the guild leaders were talking about, here's her sheet.
Character Name: Maria (Mother Maria to most, Mary to friends, Saint to all)

Color: Pink, of course.

Type: NPC

Species: Blissey

RP: Pokemon

Appearance: Maria is fairly standard in appearance for a Blissey. Her upper body is pink while her lower body is white. Like all Blissey, she constantly carries at least one medicinal “egg” in her pouch. The most distinctive part of her appearance that makes her look different from other Blissey is that her white lower body also has triangular markings characteristic of her Togatic father.

Personality: Calm. Maria is rarely ever angry or upset or even particularly excited. She gives off an almost serene aura. Even when under attack, she remains calm, refusing to retaliate out of anger and instead constantly healing herself until her attacker gives up and leaves. On the very, very rare times she does strike back, she prefers to use Metronome. Though even then, she has tried to refrain from using that move ever since it accidentally triggered the Judgement attack. Due to this, she trained to use the Telekinesis move which lets her keep attackers away from herself and others without hurting them.
Maria is also, like most Blissey, filled with love and compassion. Her calm nature is because she feels she cannot help other Pokemon if she is panicking. Maria is generally a pacifist, and will only launch an attack if others besides herself are in danger. Her ultimate goal in life is to make the world a happier and friendlier place.

Other notes: Separate from the eggs she gives to others, Maria also has a special “Lucky Egg” that is said to be “filled with happiness”. The “egg” is locked in a pendent and has been passed down through her mother’s side of the family for a long time. Good thing it isn’t an actual egg, or that would be gross.
Maria was the fourth member of Hagane’s exploration team, and was an absolutely masterful healer. In her time as a guild member, she saved countless lives, and the lives of her team mates countless times. Due to her Lucky Egg, she ended up growing stronger much faster than the other members of the team, and is considered in some ways to be the most powerful non-legendary pokemon alive. The only thing keeping her from that title would be her absolutely horrible physical stats.
Blissey aren’t exactly body builders…

Ability: Healer (Sometimes automatically heals all status conditions of nearby friendly/unaffiliated Pokemon)

Special Moves:
Heal Bell
Mud Bomb
Last Resort
Metronome
Present
Helping Hand
Recycle
Telekinesis
Sunny Day
Rain Dance

Dynamic stats (use this to calculate -> http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php):
Level: 90 (PCs capped at level 30)
HP: 586
Attack: 45
Defense: 50
Special Attack: 167
Special Defense: 302
Speed: 131

Static stats (24 points):
Perception: 4
Charisma: 10
Intelligence: 4
Luck: 6
Yes, I know she has a couple of TM and Tutor moves in there, but she's an NPC so the rules are more lenient.
-Champion Motto

furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

James is not in the roleplay anymore, I also made him stupider than in his character sheet accidentally, so he is gone
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Why, because nobody responds to you?
You keep going to spots where none of the other characters are. we cant. (aside from the two upstairs, we're all in the dining hall. if you have to ask where the food is you're clearly not in that room, hence no response)

besides, that last post actually seemed to be somewhat an improvement.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

It was a pretty big improvement, I feel. Took a little time to slow down and explore the surroundings and his mood.

The thing I find to be jarring in most of your posts is the breakneck pace of narrative you try to use.
Love me right now! Done.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hawk was asked earlier to leave the rp for now. that said, the gms have noticed an improvement in your post, Hawk. It showed you payed attention to what was going on in the game and that you were quickly getting better with how you write the character. I have noticed this in RA as well.

However there is a procedure to rejoin the game that has to be followed, but hasn't been yet. First, you show the GMs that you have improved and know how to avoid the problems in the future. You can do this by showing said improvement in Richmond Acres or other RPs. Then, after a certain time, you can request reentry into this game.

You are not removed permanently. In fact, given your recent improvement you have shown us, I suspect you will be able to rejoin relatively soon. We want you to have fun, and want everyone else to have fun. That is why we ask you to just take a break from this game and continue practicing in other, less complicated RPs like Richmond Acres in the meantime.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

In case anyone was curious about how Hagane gets when he Mega Evolves, this is pretty close.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I think PMD Super actually established that mega evolution works like this after extended periods of use in its universe, so yeah, assume its the same with other pokemon as well... except maybe mega audino, as I honestly can't see that thing ever being violent
Deske

Post by Deske »

Being unable to control yourself sounds pretty detrimental honestly. I can't see "blind rage" being a useful tactic.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Deske wrote:Being unable to control yourself sounds pretty detrimental honestly. I can't see "blind rage" being a useful tactic.
There are some Pokémon too powerful for him otherwise, and blind rage does mean he’s not held back by opponents that use mind control or if he’s facing a mob or something
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

True. It also makes his attacks completely unrelenting and his focus near impossible to break.

From the look of it though, it's less about the mega form loosing control as it is the mega form removes mercy and generates an insane bloodlust driven by fighting instinct and the desire to crush the opponent at all costs.
-Champion Motto