Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Gameb18oy »

I was more just asking Buster to not use Wingdings to talk, or whatever she was doing there
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Unicode. Wingdings are a font, Unicode isn't.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

The forum can’t even do Wingdings. I tried using one of the translator websites, and all I got was an error when I pasted it into the forums.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Interesting to note... though why were you doing that? Similar undertale motivations?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I got curious and had nothing to do this afternoon. That’s it.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Is my character good? If so, when could I join?
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I think Gameb18oy said there wasn't anything wrong with your character.

I think you should be able to join any time, but I'd let Gameb18oy give his thoughts first.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I think it's safe. (And if I'm wrong, please don't kill me Gameb18oy.)
Rp characters
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hawkfang42 wrote:I think it's safe. (And if I'm wrong, please don't kill me Gameb18oy.)
... yeah nothing is wrong with that character... but Hawk, at this point not knowing where you are just means no one can respond to you as they don’t know if you’re around them. You need to give us some information or you’re just gonna be laying there
Champion Wallace wrote:"Thank you very much." Trent takes his half and starts munching on it. Phoebe holds on to her half for later. As they're walking along, Trent asks "Wait, I'm confused. Are you affiliated with the guild or not? What is it you do for them?" Building confidence, he continues, "Ya know, what is the name of the place we're going? I've been told that I'm being enrolled in 'the guild'. Trent turns to give a slight glare to Phoebe, Phoebe returns with a look that says "you know what you did". "But that can't be the real name. What Pokémon would have the resources to found their own guild, but lacks the imagination to come up with a name better than 'Guild'."
On lighter stuff, I don’t think we ever actually picked a name for the guild yet, didn’t come up. If no one wants to think up a name, honestly I’m just up for saying Atum named it “guild” because he rushed picking out the name so he could take a nap
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

So it would be the Guild guild. Writing from a comedic perspective, that's genius in its simplicity.
Last edited by Leafolawl on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That is funny, but it could get old really fast. I just kind of figured all of the guilds were just different branches of the Explorer's Guild.

Honestly though the only guild name I can find is "Wigglytuff's Guild" so I'm not sure if these guild halls even get names.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Gameb18oy wrote:Interesting to note... though why were you doing that? Similar undertale motivations?
No, it's because zalgo text is banned and missingno are often treated in fannon as the Pokemon equivalent of cryptids. It's kinda hard to convey barely intelligible in text form.
Last edited by Buster on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:That is funny, but it could get old really fast. I just kind of figured all of the guilds were just different branches of the Explorer's Guild.

Honestly though the only guild name I can find is "Wigglytuff's Guild" so I'm not sure if these guild halls even get names.
Could go with just Rising Guild Branch then
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

And you've sparked a wonderful idea now.
Love me right now! Done.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

and OF COURSE as soon as i come up with something to throw at him he posts >.<
You can ignore that PM Gameboy...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Wait, what? Are you talking about me, or Hawk?
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

hawk.

speaking of whom, Hawkfang, the town is on a grassy plain near a lake, that was established back when it was being named. you were on a cliff. the jump makes no sense.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I was bored, he walked long, it is kind of far, I have no idea what I'm doing.
Rp characters
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Is something actually being fed to Hawk on the low, or is he doing his own thing with no direction?
Love me right now! Done.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm working with him in PMs. The first change was a result of that. Second one I think was in response to what Buster said.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Hawkfang42 wrote:I was bored, he walked long, it is kind of far, I have no idea what I'm doing.
its just that abrupt drastic changes like that, with little to no explanation, make it hard to respond to you because it's not clear what's going on. it's too fast and too disjointed, changing before anyone has a chance to respond. It honestly feels more like you're describing a dream sequence than actual actions.

...actually that gives me an idea...

EDIT:
There, i'll edit that if you don't like it, but now you've got someone to interact with, and a 'narative reset button' for the garbled bits, that doesn't involve Paranoia Fuel, since the characters introduced so far either lack the capacity, motive, or both, to force hallucinations onto someone.

Also for future, edits work better than retcons for straightening out plotholes and inconsistencies, and responses sometimes take hours/days, so don't worry if something doesn't get an immediate response.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:
Hawkfang42 wrote:I was bored, he walked long, it is kind of far, I have no idea what I'm doing.
its just that abrupt drastic changes like that, with little to no explanation, make it hard to respond to you because it's not clear what's going on. it's too fast and too disjointed, changing before anyone has a chance to respond. It honestly feels more like you're describing a dream sequence than actual actions.

EDIT:
There, i'll edit that if you don't like it, but now you've got someone to interact with, and a 'narative reset button' for the garbled bits, that doesn't involve Paranoia Fuel, since the characters introduced so far either lack the capacity, motive, or both, to force hallucinations onto someone.

Also for future, edits work better than retcons for straightening out plotholes and inconsistencies, and responses sometimes take hours/days, so don't worry if something doesn't get an immediate response.
Hey buster, do you mind clarifying what you changed? I looked and I didn’t find anything obvious
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

When you realize that you are looking at the first page instead of the current one.
Rp characters
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Buster wrote:

EDIT:

IT WAS A DREAM SEQUENCE.
Rp characters
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:"Exploration Society, hm." Trent says to himself. "I think I can work with a name like that." "Thank you for taking time out of your day to show us here." The Weavile says, taking a bite out of her Oran half. "mm, that's a good berry. I hope you don't take any offense when I say I hope Trent won't need your services. Trent remember: have fun, don't get into any fights with the other Pokémon, and do as your told." Bending down she gives him a kiss on his forehead. "Phoebeee." Trent whines with an expression like Keene's in the last panel. "I'm not a baby anymore." "I know, it's just... Anyway, run along now and introduce yourself to everyone. Phoebe stands up and starts walking away. Trent watches her leave longingly, but quickly recovers and turns back to the Gloom. "So. Where are all the members? Although foremost, where are my manners? I do believe I forgot to ask for your name. I'm Trent, by the way."
While I don’t think there’s any rules against referencing the comic, I’d prefer we didn’t do that moving forward, at least not direct references, if you want to play a furret named Keene who comes from a rich family, I won’t stop you, but keep the references slight
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i think it was meant more as a visual aid for an expression and posture wallace didn't know how to put into words. Trent is a rat, not a ferret.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:i think it was meant more as a visual aid for an expression and posture wallace didn't know how to put into words. Trent is a rat, not a ferret.

The latter part was just to be an example I'd be fine with. I suppose I also get why Wallace felt the need for it, so just consider what I said above to be a request for the future, not a hard rule
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait... so, re realized he doesn't live in this area by recognizing one of the towns near by, and then says he lives closest to the exact same one that he said he wasn't near...

My head hurts.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I never said I wasn't near any of them.
Rp characters
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

He said he lived "a little bit off" of Rising Village probably putting a literal sense into "little bit" meaning close by but not in the town itself.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

oh.
>.<
that's not how i'm used to that phrasing being used...

more used to it being shorthand for "i don't expect you to know where A is so i'm going to use B as a reference point" like describing Tofield as a little bit off from Edmonton even though they're about 50km apart.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Buster wrote:oh.
>.<
that's not how i'm used to that phrasing being used...

more used to it being shorthand for "i don't expect you to know where A is so i'm going to use B as a reference point" like describing Tofield as a little bit off from Edmonton even though they're about 50km apart.
Flowey the flower wrote:YOU REALLY ARE AN IDIOT.
Just messin' with ya ;)
Rp characters
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I'm mildly concerned about the number of Dark types and shinnies among the main characters (p-value=.00008644 and .000000005302 respectively), however, type effectiveness in mystery dungeon only multiplies damage by a power of 1.2 instead of 2 (same type attack bonus is still x1.5) and shininess is the literal embodiment of a cosmetic difference with no mechanical difference. As a fantasy/role play, this is the perfect place to do stuff like that. That's why I don't think it's a real problem (yet).
Buster wrote:i think it was meant more as a visual aid for an expression and posture wallace didn't know how to put into words. Trent is a rat, not a ferret.
Ding! Ding! Ding! That was exactly what was going through my head. I wasn't saying Trent was Keene, only that he had the same expression (Keene never crossed my mind when I was writing my character sheet). In hindsight, it might've been possible to describe it with conventional means, but I doubt I could've more elegantly than eleven words.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:I'm mildly concerned about the number of Dark types and shinnies among the main characters (p-value=.00008644 and .000000005302 respectively), however, type effectiveness in mystery dungeon only multiplies damage by a power of 1.2 instead of 2 (same type attack bonus is still x1.5) and shininess is the literal embodiment of a cosmetic difference with no mechanical difference. As a fantasy/role play, this is the perfect place to do stuff like that. That's why I don't think it's a real problem (yet).
Ding! Ding! Ding! That was exactly what was going through my head. I wasn't saying Trent was Keene, only that he had the same expression (Keene never crossed my mind when I was writing my character sheet). In hindsight, it might've been possible to describe it with conventional means, but I doubt I could've more elegantly than eleven words.
It be a problem if we were focusing on combat, but we likely won’t be doing that. Speaking of though, never asked if you’re an alolan or Kanto ratatta
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

What’s a razor doing in the Mystery Dungeon universe?

furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Well, there are link cables in the universe for crying out loud, LINK CABLES
Rp characters
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hawkfang42 wrote:Well, there are link cables in the universe for crying out loud, LINK CABLES
True, but there’s a difference between an item used to evolve a Pokémon, and an item humans made because not everyone likes having a beard.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Also, even if the razors weren’t out of place, I’m gonna bring up why does a poochyena have a sink? You do not have thumbs and you are a quadruped, you can’t even use it realistically. Hawk, do you even know what the differences between Pokémon mystery dungeon and the core games are aside from the fact humans don’t appear in one of them? Most forms of modern or advanced tech in the core games haven’t been developed in PMD, giving it more of a light fantasy feel to the world
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

um, wouldn't the only form of razor producible without the use of post-industrial techniques be a straight razor anyway? you know, one of those ones that's basically just a fancy single-edged butterfly knife?

sides it still doesn't solve the problem of your only opposable grasping appendage being your TEETH, or somehow justifying indoor plumbing when i had to go through convoluted mental gymnastics just to justify a gravity-fed garden hose earlier.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Even for your argument on the inclusion of link cables, what even is a link cable? We as players understand it as something that might not be reflective of what they are in-universe, and if I remember correctly the description of the item is "an item used to connect one thing to another." That's vague at best. For all we know, it could be peculiarly woven twine, or a chain made using small links, as with a necklace chain.

Used in conjunction with the evolution item Metal Coat, it can evolve an onyx into a steelix. The implication there is that all it's done is bind something to another thing, which is as its description entails in a literal sense, and that's certainly not as high-tech as what it's replacing for other games. And since evolution in pokémon is fast and strange regardless of its medium, this still offers no insight to what it looks like, or what it even is.
Love me right now! Done.