Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Gameb18oy »

Character Name: Scallop

Color: Blue and white
Font color: Color=#FF80FF

Type: PC

Species: Oshawott

RP: Pokemon

Appearance: He has the same basic as most oshawott. Both for fun and to differentiate himself, he draws lunar circles on his shells that resemble his dad's own rings.

Personality: Jolly. Most consider Shallop to be the opposite to his father Atum in terms of how he acts. While enthusiastic and happy to help others, he is highly naive and easy to take advantage of by others, though this is more due to his lack of perception and experience. While a genuine talent in terms of fighting, he has no desire to join in expeditions like most kids, due to his mother never coming back from one years back.

Other notes:
-While usually fairly happy, he is known to hide in his dad's quarters to look at a painting of his mother when he feels down.
-Will fight anyone who calls into question if he's adopted, not liking that normally people can't tell at a glance he's related to Atum

Ability: Torrent (Boosts water type moves when weak.)
(Hidden) Shell Armor (Prevents pokemon from receiving critical hits)

Special Moves: (moves that result from breeding and non-natural moves learned in-game)
Assurance

Dynamic stats (use this to calculate -> http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php, changes with experience):
Level: 12 (PCs start no higher than 30)
HP: 38
Attack: 21
Defense: 19
Special Attack: 20
Special Defense: 19
Speed: 20

Static stats (24 points):
Perception: 3
Charisma: 9
Intelligence: 7
Luck: 5
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the two in the back are their parents.
Family Photo.png
Family Photo.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 18965 times
Smoke, the Purrloin with glameow coloring and a headband is both the eldest and highest level sibling. Baja is second oldest, then Jewl (glameow on the far right), Rose, and the youngest is Beri.(basic colored purrloin with the hetrochromatic eyes)
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:the two in the back are their parents.
Family Photo.png
Smoke, the Purrloin with glameow coloring and a headband is both the eldest and highest level sibling. Baja is second oldest, then Jewl (glameow on the far right), Rose, and the youngest is Beri.(basic colored purrloin with the hetrochromatic eyes)
Interesting. By the way, did you mean to put a question mark at the end of Rose’s last statement?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

yes.
you ever notice those moments in books where something comes out of left field and even the narator seems confused?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:yes.
you ever notice those moments in books where something comes out of left field and even the narator seems confused?
Just realized I meant to say Baja, but glad you got what I meant
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Double-check that, Lego. That was Lance, who was saying recruits will get a chance to show Hagane what they're made of.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hagane said it first.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I missed that one? Ah well.
Love me right now! Done.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just an FYI, I added a few sentences to my last post. Nothing major, just having Alan bring up how he needs to get back to the kitchen.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sorry to anyone waiting on me, but I'm about to pass out. I can't post tonight.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Cyber, hope its no big deal that Atum's kid calls you uncle due to familiarity, I'll change it to guildmaster or just Hagane if you don't approve.

And Lego, I worry the joke about starting a fire isn't one you'd like for Alan, so that's why I never outright say Alan did it, just pass it off as being caused by kitchen equipment or maybe lightning from a storm if you'd rather not have that bit to consider in his past
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I've got no issue with Atum's kid calling Hagane "uncle". I don't think he would mind either.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:I've got no issue with Atum's kid calling Hagane "uncle". I don't think he would mind either.
I'm a little put off guard by how I'm playing him. Not really used to being bright eyed innocent. Luckily I already gave a little bit of tragedy to work with if it starts to get boring
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait, he was planning to use a psychic move on a dark type?

I thought he had a high intelligence, not low, dark types are immune to psychic moves. two of the other characters were just talking about that.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:wait, he was planning to use a psychic move on a dark type?

I thought he had a high intelligence, not low, dark types are immune to psychic moves. two of the other characters were just talking about that.
He’s using aura, which is more in line with fighting than psychic powers. Dark types are able to guard their minds mildly if he makes himself known to them. He’d probably actually have more difficulty reading ghosts types if you think about it... I didn’t really mind that even though I probably should have talked to Cyber about it later, so that’s just a neat little explanation for how that worked.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i was referring to the ninetails using Hypnosis on baja.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hypnosis is a status move, and those are rarely affected by type immunities. Most of the time it’s due to something else that a type is immune, like how grass types are immune to spore moves, or how dark types are immune to status moves that have had their priority boost by Prankster.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Lego's right. I just looked it up. Hypnosis and other status causing attacks effect pokemon while ignoring type. For example, Roar still effects ghost types despite being a normal type attack.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

huh... that's, kinda a dumb exception.
is that a post-Gen II thing or did i just forget about that?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think it’s just something you forgot about, though it’s been quite a while since I played one of the Gen 3 games, so I can’t say for certain.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hey Cyber, I’m gonna just roll with it if you were talking about me having telepathy as well, but when I spoke back to you after you used telepathy directly at me, it was more like I was making myself easier to read in that moment... would explain how he makes himself useful even when he’s asleep... guess I’ll say he has munna line blood from his father as they can have the hidden ability telepathy, plus can give him some fun psychic moves. Wouldn’t hurt that he’s always sleeping and they are Dream Eater Pokemon.
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Sorry about not posting recently, just have been on a loss of what to put recenrly ^~^u
Sunny Briggs -Golden Labrador Retriever- S3 P5 E7 C6 I3 A8 L10
Luna Briggs - Blue Russian Cat- S8 P6 E6 C6 I7 A5 L4
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Its fine man, can be tricky thinking stuff up if you're not responding to someone
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’ve been busy with work, so I won’t be able to post until tomorrow.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Why are people apologizing for this? It’s fine if you don’t reply that quick, we can wait on you, especially as it’s still in the early stages of its story.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Gameb18oy wrote:Hey Cyber, I’m gonna just roll with it if you were talking about me having telepathy as well, but when I spoke back to you after you used telepathy directly at me, it was more like I was making myself easier to read in that moment... would explain how he makes himself useful even when he’s asleep... guess I’ll say he has munna line blood from his father as they can have the hidden ability telepathy, plus can give him some fun psychic moves. Wouldn’t hurt that he’s always sleeping and they are Dream Eater Pokemon.
Ugh... I thought Umbreon naturally learned some psychic moves. I knew that the pokemon has the ability to learn psychic via TM, but your character hasn't. I can edit that post if you'd like.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

The ability to learn psychic moves doesn't directly equate to telepathy, either. I haven't heard of an Alakazam speaking to others with its mind.
Love me right now! Done.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Leafolawl wrote:The ability to learn psychic moves doesn't directly equate to telepathy, either. I haven't heard of an Alakazam speaking to others with its mind.
It’s one of those things that are basically fanon, but make enough sense that most RPs and fanfics use it.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:Hey Cyber, I’m gonna just roll with it if you were talking about me having telepathy as well, but when I spoke back to you after you used telepathy directly at me, it was more like I was making myself easier to read in that moment... would explain how he makes himself useful even when he’s asleep... guess I’ll say he has munna line blood from his father as they can have the hidden ability telepathy, plus can give him some fun psychic moves. Wouldn’t hurt that he’s always sleeping and they are Dream Eater Pokemon.
Ugh... I thought Umbreon naturally learned some psychic moves. I knew that the pokemon has the ability to learn psychic via TM, but your character hasn't. I can edit that post if you'd like.
Nah man, already added some stuff to his character sheet, should make more sense now, heck, I got a light reason for why he craves sleep so much as a bonus for it.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Gameb18oy wrote:Why are people apologizing for this? It’s fine if you don’t reply that quick, we can wait on you, especially as it’s still in the early stages of its story.
Also, I feel I should bring up that this game doesn't have the pace expectation that Beacon of Hope does. If you can't post at the moment, don't worry about it and you don't need to apologize. Just post when you can.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

This just in, pace expectations are even higher than Beacon of Hope for the foreseeable future. *joking*
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Deske wrote:This just in, pace expectations are even higher than Beacon of Hope for the foreseeable future. *joking*
Maybe at some point we will compete with that RP, but that will not be today. Will say, there is some plot stuff we have in mind already, so there is a possibility of things speeding up, though I kinda want to setup atlas crossing first as the suggestion of combining Pokémon with animal crossing... intrigued me to say the least.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

It’s rather interesting to write such a timid character as Alan. I’m not even sure he’s actually sorry for reacting to Baja the way he did, it’s more likely he convinced himself he was to avoid making a fuss.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Legotron123 wrote:It’s rather interesting to write such a timid character as Alan. I’m not even sure he’s actually sorry for reacting to Baja the way he did, it’s more likely he convinced himself he was to avoid making a fuss.
To be fair, she was acting... really stupidly, as Buster intended her to. I imagine that can get frustrating for Pokémon around them.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hey Buster, I’m not sure there’s any signs of Pokemon figuring out water pressure in the mystery dungeon universe, so I don’t think they could have hoses. And even if they do, they wouldn’t be very common so Baja can’t expect everyone to know what they are.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

No mention in my recollection of the four games in U.S., cannot confirm for any JP exclusives.
Love me right now! Done.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

not sure why you didn't mention that the first two times i referenced needing a hose...

also, hoses can be gravity fed from a water tower without needing a pump and they wouldn't need to invent water pumps to discover how water pressure works anyway because of water types that can pressurize water themselves like blastoise...

that's kinda what i was going for, the 1500's leather or canvas version with almost no pressure to it by modern standards, that's there more to guide the water, not the modern rubber things.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:not sure why you didn't mention that the first two times i referenced needing a hose...

also, hoses can be gravity fed from a water tower without needing a pump and they wouldn't need to invent water pumps to discover how water pressure works anyway because of water types that can pressurize water themselves like blastoise...

that's kinda what i was going for, the 1500's leather or canvas version with almost no pressure to it by modern standards, that's there more to guide the water, not the modern rubber things.
Obviously because I didn’t notice it the first few times. I suppose you’re explanations work fine for explaining it so I’ll not protest them being there then.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Considering small-ish static stat changes to better reflect how Einar seems to play rather than how he was conceptualized. Would that be okay?
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:Considering small-ish static stat changes to better reflect how Einar seems to play rather than how he was conceptualized. Would that be okay?
By static, you mean the SPECIAL stats we kept right? That should be fine though.