Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:I wasn't aiming to make it look like Kimera was being spoiled or like the resident rich kid by giving him a bed and a few toys. I kind of figured Hagane's guild would provide a bit more than some rough and dirty hay to sleep in.
We might be able to salvage that by allowing other members to bring their own stuff to personalize rooms
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Straw beds on the floor is spartan by our standard, but the thing with assuming a normal bed by our standard is pokémon like Trent(rattata), Einar(rockruff), or T(poochyena) have no way to actually maintain such a bed. They're too big to be handled from a single grip point by teeth meant to cut or rip. Straw beds don't run into that issue, even though they need more frequent attention to keep clean.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

there's also the fact that a significant portion of oviparous species make and sleep in nests, and pokemon are oviparous after all. straw mats, nests, or piles may seem normal to them.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Buster wrote: :lol: And Trent's the only one with a potential dark rival (ME) so far, and he's one of the biggest underdogs here... you know what that means... *discreetly slides a suit of plot armor in wallace's direction*
"I don't think this is my size, but I'll try it on."
CyberDragon wrote:Gameb18oy is the authority on this, but I figure there is nothing keeping intelligent pokemon who are able to build buildings like the guild hall from putting together a wooden bed frame with a simple mattress, pillow, and blankets. I mean, at it's most basic, you'd need fabric and something soft to stuff inside of it for each of those things. Though the mattress might need springs or something to provide support, that is again not outside of the abilities of pokemon that can construct a guild hall.
Sorry to continue the beat up on this point, but I would like to get on the record that inventing something is a lot easier in hindsight. Even is someone has the tools and materials for something, they still need the inspiration. To quote the book Soonish
Kelly and Zach Weinersmith wrote:We now know that the ancient Greeks could create complex gear systems, but never constructed an advanced clock. The ancient Alexandrians had a rudimentary steam engine but never designed a train. The ancient Egyptians invented the folding stool four thousand years ago, but never built an IKEA.
The cape comes with the promotion.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's a bed, people. It is a comfortable and elevated cushion to sleep on, with a piece of cloth on it to keep the cold out. It's not a complicated thing. It seems like something the people in this world would have the ability to make and many would prefer it to a pile of straw as it is cleaner and more comfortable, and so would probably be motivated to invent something like the bed. This isn't ancient-ninja-electric-guitar tech. It's not a clock or train. Heck, it's not even a modern style bed. I wasn't intending to create a huge debate or controversy by giving Kimera a friggin' bed.
Gameb18oy wrote:We might be able to salvage that by allowing other members to bring their own stuff to personalize rooms
Sort of figured that was a given.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Intent or not, the idea was tossed and received. And in a few ways of looking at it, a bed as we know it might not catch on as well for pokémon.

That, and you jumped back to "dirty" with it. That's not true. It's more work to keep a bed of straw or hay, but properly kept its only thing that makes it "less clean" is the fact that you have bits of hay or straw on your floor. The "disgusting" part comes from an ill maintained bed that starts rotting, which actually is not very clean—like if someone were to use sheets as a towel and then immediately put them on their bed without washing them. This is why straw/hay beds are quickly replaced, and an old bed is easy to use as fertilizer for a field after use.

I do think the thought went the right way for offering comfort, and I'm not meaning to be antagonistic about it if I'm coming across that way. You tried a thing and it didn't work the way you were expecting. I think all of us have done that.
Love me right now! Done.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Straw sticks to fur. It gets all over the floor. It can get messed up and scattered away from where it's supposed to be and tracked where you walk. The only differences between Kimera's bed and a normal straw one is that the straw or bedding material is stuffed into a sack and put on a stand. I'd imagine getting Kimera a bed would be as much about not annoying the Swablu as it is about comfort, but I also imagine Kimera and probably others don't like spending half an hour getting straw out of their fur after waking up in the morning.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Descriptions are always important when you introduce something or someone. A large sack filled with a soft substance is even in my own defending of the idea of beds. And I honestly do think they'd have embraced blankets, especially because of pokémon like machamp, hitmonlee, mr. mime, etc. that lack fur to keep warm.

I'm playing devil's advocate more than anything, trying to bring every consideration. A bed with a very loosely stitched middle and sides could even fulfill the shape of our beds while still lacking springs, even. However, I suspect your idea is more akin to a beanbag, where there's nothing holding the shape of the bed and it's just on a dais, so it would dip in the center like any bed from the original setting.

And while you mention how straw sticks to fur, it is still possible that they're made using the same method as thatched roofs. Less scattering of straw/hay, more control, and less rotting, even if the bed is a bit firmer as result.

While I usually like to stick to source materials, we've already deviated by allowing things like Baja, Einar(I admitted from the start I've deviated from canon), and G.M. characters like Luke and Kimera and their unnatural coloring. I have no issues with the beds, but I think we should discuss all non-source world ideas as they come up for the sake of keeping the world consistent—have a baseline in categories for what's acceptable and not.
Love me right now! Done.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fair enough.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

why is baja on the list of odd colored pokemon? she's just a normal Shiny.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I don't know shiny colors of the top of my head and the description doesn't outright say she's a shiny, just more brightly colored. That's me just assuming.
Baja's Character Sheet wrote:A typical Liepard and spitting image of her mother, save for having a lighter more reddish coat, Baja is slightly taller than average for her breed and in good shape. she doesn't wear any accessories at the moment.
However, there's also your family portrait for them, featuring Smoke; the purrloin of glameow colors.
Love me right now! Done.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So, I just had a thought about the bed issue. I think that the beds would actually be wildly different from each other depending on the pokemon that sleeps in it. For example, I don't think a slugma would do well sleeping in a bed of flammable straw. Heck, any of the charizard line would also probably avoid those due to the open flame on their tails. While Kimera would be comfortable curling up on a beanbag-like cushion, I don't imagine Hagane would like something like that partly because of his larger, more human-like body type, and partly because of the large spikes that could potentially tear up the sack and spill all of the contents out. He'd need something sturdier, and probably shaped more like a human bed. Bird type pokemon would be built to roost in nests, partly surrounded on all sides and cradled, but the image of an Onix trying to curl up in a tiny birds nest is just hilarious. So really there's probably a bunch of beds that are of all different kinds of complexity in design and made of all different kinds of materials.

Sorry to continue this, but I just thought of that. I felt like it was something to consider.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Going by the show, wild lucario and riolu don't sleep in beds. They just kind of meditate against a tree until they fall asleep in that position then wake up when they're rested, as with most fighting types.

Even what I remember of the show, most trained lucario don't seem to sleep in beds, preferring to sleep in meditative poses resting against walls.

By the same note, most pokémon wouldn't even use beds. Einar, Baja, and T would all be perfectly happy sleeping on the ground(though even still this does apply to at least Einar), with only Rose caring about sleeping on a nice bed. Bug-type pokémon would sleep hanging on silk, in webs, or just clinging to trees.

I think the beds are mostly just an abstraction for save spots, grandfathered in from Red/Blue rescue team from when handheld games needed to be simpler to fit on their cartridges. "Save Machines" in-universe are likely just portable camps with rations.

But that's speaking from a mechanical point.
Love me right now! Done.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Leafolawl wrote:the description doesn't outright say she's a shiny
uh, yes it does.
Buster wrote:------Appearance------
Coloring: Shiny

A typical Liepard and spitting image of her mother, save for having a lighter more reddish coat, Baja is slightly taller than average for her breed and in good shape. she doesn't wear any accessories at the moment.
right there, first line, "Coloring: Shiny"
Leafolawl wrote:However, there's also your family portrait for them, featuring Smoke; the purrloin of glameow colors.
okay, i'll give you that one since purloin are only supposed to come in purple and navy blue, not light gray...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Gameb18oy, once everyone is in their beds, would you like me to trigger the new day, or would you like to do it?
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:Gameb18oy, once everyone is in their beds, would you like me to trigger the new day, or would you like to do it?
As I've been pretty bad finding time to reply (Sorry about that everyone waiting on me, and appreciate you being patient), I think it be good to have you doing that. I'll take care of some more stuff on the plot stuff after the time jump. Feel free to describe some stuff for other Hagane (I'll call him Ha-gone, so his mega form has something to distinguish him) if you want to before then, might help with some plot stuff I have planned even. Also, if anyone wants me to be faster, the social accountability of a DM reminding me of my slow responses can be helpful
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I'll be sure to keep that in mind, and will also be sure not to push you too hard. School can eat up a lot of time.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Leafolawl wrote:I'll be sure to keep that in mind, and will also be sure not to push you too hard. School can eat up a lot of time.
Heh. Don’t hesitate as that tends to be the reason only half the time, generally I just get too lazy for my own good
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Should I trigger the new day in my next post?
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:Should I trigger the new day in my next post?
Give Buster a chance to meet the fluffies as I think she’d feel robbed if she didn’t get to do so, otherwise if no one has any objections, I don’t see why not
Champion Wallace

Before the new day rolls around, I should respond to Baja settling down in the room Trent claimed. However, I wasn't sure if I should wait for her to respond to Scallop's warning first. In all the kerfuffle about beds in the OOC, I didn't get an answer about whether we should poke a quoll.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Speaking of the orb collection... Gameb18oy, what are your thoughts on the itemizer orb being in this? It was a pretty messed up item and I think recent games got rid of it. What do you think?
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:Speaking of the orb collection... Gameb18oy, what are your thoughts on the itemizer orb being in this? It was a pretty messed up item and I think recent games got rid of it. What do you think?
Mention as a reference, but say it’s so rare that only collectors like Scallop have one and they make it no secret they’ll despise you if you use it. We may make up a few as well, like a clairvoyance orb can be a reward for certain players who want a hint about the plot or other stuff
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I imagine the itemizer orb would be something that civilization would actively try to get rid of. Maybe they exist, but are extremely rare because the guild destroys them whenever they're found and their use is forbidden in civilization?
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Maybe they're manufactured and used mainly by shady groups for pokemon trafficking/smuggling?
Gameb18oy wrote:
Give Buster a chance to meet the fluffies as I think she’d feel robbed if she didn’t get to do so, otherwise if no one has any objections, I don’t see why not
i wasn't sure there was anything TO respond to in that though. she knows what an orb is, but they'd fall more under shinies than fluffies. also, while she knows scallp's voice, she wasn't looking for him and she's less familiar with einar...
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:Maybe they're manufactured and used mainly by shady groups for pokemon trafficking/smuggling?
Gameb18oy wrote:
i wasn't sure there was anything TO respond to in that though. she knows what an orb is, but they'd fall more under shinies than fluffies. also, while she knows scallp's voice, she wasn't looking for him and she's less familiar with einar...
I kinda assumed she wanted tiny fluffy members, Scallop and Einar are kinda like walking teddy bears from her perspective
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Buster wrote:Maybe they're manufactured and used mainly by shady groups for pokemon trafficking/smuggling?
The thing about the Itemizer Orb is it never wore off. Once used, the pokémon was gone, say hello to your new Sleep Seed.

Never thought about it, but it's pretty twisted when you're not thinking about it as a videogame with non-feeling code.
Love me right now! Done.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It gets especially messed up when the orb turns them into an apple, berry, gummy, or other edible item.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Exploders of the Veil

Post by Buster »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Buster wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:Give Buster a chance to meet the fluffies as I think she’d feel robbed if she didn’t get to do so, otherwise if no one has any objections, I don’t see why not
I kinda assumed she wanted tiny fluffy members, Scallop and Einar are kinda like walking teddy bears from her perspective
okay even *I* didn't catch that that was what chaylin meant, so what are the odds of a character designed to be stupid incarnate would?
CyberDragon wrote:It gets especially messed up when the orb turns them into an apple, berry, gummy, or other edible item.
*Uses one on the guild master and gets a Key Stone that stabilizes the mega stone he used to wear*
Huh...
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

To make it a little less messed up, they aren’t gonna be turned into items, let’s just say they are moved and replaced with an item from the location that are swapped with, assuming any appear in the world. It could have some strategic benefits then, but be too random to be used commonly by exploration teams
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

ironical, that actually supports the smuggling/traficking theory.
captive mon at location 'A'
contraband at location 'B'
activate the orb, poof. both parties walk away with their newest purchase and the locals don't know what to look for due to the switch.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:ironical, that actually supports the smuggling/traficking theory.
captive mon at location 'A'
contraband at location 'B'
activate the orb, poof. both parties walk away with their newest purchase and the locals don't know what to look for due to the switch.
Assuming you know what it will swap
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Cyber, I think everyone’s ready if you want to implement the time skip
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'll get on that after work tonight.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So Gameb18oy suggested I ask about this. There's some stuff that's going to happen during the night to give a bit of payoff to some things that have been built up. This event is going to be loud enough it likely will wake some characters, or cause curiosity among nocturnal characters. We were wondering if this should be something the players have a chance to react to (only for about a turn or two before the combee force them back into their rooms) or if it should happen, and then the new day is triggered and people can decide if their characters heard it in the night. This is something that Gameb18oy suggested I ask you guys about regarding what you all want to do.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

That's an intriguing question.

I've always been a follower of the "show instead of tell" method of writing, in both roleplay and my stint in writing, so I would say give us a chance to react, and those who aren't going to can say so here in the O.o.C. thread.

That said, I don't think it's a good idea to limit how long it can go that much(even though I can't see it going much longer than even five myself). If it winds up being a whole page, then... oh well?
Love me right now! Done.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

If no one objects by later tonight I will go with that suggestion.
-Champion Motto

Champion Wallace

I can see why people would want the chance to react as the event is unfolding, but personally I'm a little impatient to get out of the first day. Then again, I also don't think my character would leave his room and option two fits my posting style better.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I need a consensus. Or at least a general majority of opinion. I have the part with the events of the night written already.

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to post what I have. If more people weigh in saying they just want to move on by tomorrow, I will edit it after work and we will move on.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I'll abstain from posting until the plan is figured out, but that is going to wake Einar up.
Love me right now! Done.