Bruno
Oliver (Savestate)
Green-Eyed Monster
Ghost
Freddy (Simon and Freddy)
Tiger
Gold
Shadow
That Green-Eyed Monster one wouldn't happen to be a reference to how Bino has that trope marked down in TV Tropes' characters page for this comic now, would it? If so, I love it.
What do you get when you cram a shapeshifter, a dog-dragon, two wolves, a human, a robot, a bear, and a fox into one vessel? (They/Them pronouns)
D-Rock

Re: Fighting Game Idea

Post by D-Rock »

Of course! :lol:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Okay, here's a question. Since this is connected to Tails of Babylon, should have the characters use their weapons when they fight or not?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I would figure as part of their specials or finishers.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Indeed, either that or have it be apart of their more specialized techniques or heavy hits, but typically they will be involved in their finishers.
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I guess for example, Peanut's projectile could be the Fun Ball, while his finisher utilizes Guardian Spirit. Grape could use the broom in a mid-range special, while her finisher would have Serial Sleeper.

Though maybe Tarot and Sabrina could actually have their respective starting weapons as part of their regular attacks. The short-lived Fighting is Magic My Little Pony game had Twilight do all of her fighting with a spellbook.

We could also see about making characters that fight in units. I know it's possible, though the only example I can think of was never finished in Mugen.

...I think I'll do Fido palettes next.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Grape could have a projectile where she sweeps the ground dirt rough at someone. It's mostly a short ranged projectile, but it's pretty high, eats other projectiles and can somewhat stop people from jumping in on her.

Peanut could use a water gun as a beam attack. it comes out very fast, but unlike other beams it aims for the head, easily being ducked under. Could also give him a Hadouken snowball, complete with Peanut getting really into the spirit of it and thrusts his palms out while shooting the snowball.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm up for Grape having an attack that works similarly to Shao Khan's Emperor's Shield attack. I figured that the fun ball would be Peanut's projectile, though I'm for having him throw it in a similar fashion to a Hadouken.

Getting started on Fido's proposed palettes, I need ideas for six of them. Already did the ones that are shared among the rest of the submitted cast.

Had an idea for a villain. How about a Manticore? Though preferably not the variant with the human face, that's creepy. Since ToB had Nue and Barghest, let's make this one female, to shake it up a bit. Don't have an idea for motives, though.

EDIT: Did some more reading on mythological creatures, how about an al-mi'raj or skvader?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Let's not do the manticore, it's basically a European nue. I like the idea of a rabbit like celestial.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, I'm up for rabbit. We could call her Mirage, to make the naming easier. Want to add the wings from the skvader? Horned, winged rabbit!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

We could call her Mirage Al'mir'aj, :P Like Spirit Dragon or whatnot.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay. So, currently working on her concept. It'll be an edit of a Zach image. Don't have the luxury of having a female rabbit model.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

mirageconcept.png
mirageconcept.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 27817 times
Boom, quick concept of Mirage. I may have gotten carried away with her spikes. Now, this could be a "mortal" first form. Her true form could be about the size of a human adult, like Pete, Dragon, and Kitsune's "casual" form. That I can't do with my current level.

Like the poems she's from, she's deceptively vicious, though she could also carry herself like a sweet girl, even when fighting. Still not sure on a motive. Oddly enough, I had a (pretty bad) idea for motive from another game. The final boss holds a tournament literally because she's bored, and has the grand prize be reincarnation for the participant who wins, as they're all already dead. Won't go into further detail on the game for reasons.

Something to justify making a tournament is surprisingly hard for me to come up with.

Also, still need ideas for six Fido palettes.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

An interesting design, though still hard to determine without a female model :P I'll see what I can whip up, cause I find this neat so far.
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Liking this so far. Sounds good to have a "villain" who's sweety-happy like.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright. Though may I suggest making her claws noticeable? Rabbits are vicious fighters when they need to be in reality.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, D-Rock. Mirage's description kinda reminds me of BB Hood from Darkstalkers for some reason.
D-Rock wrote:Alright. Though may I suggest making her claws noticeable? Rabbits are vicious fighters when they need to be in reality.
I would say yes.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm AWARE of BB Hood, but I've never played Darkstalkers. My brother and I were street fighter and mortal kombat kids.

Second note, I forgot to change her eye color. Use what you see fit.

UPDATE: So I received this suggestion.
Krytus The Dreamer wrote:Since you've taken the time to actually suggest things for my story i wanted to try suggesting something for that fighting game you're working on. like what i do with your suggestions you don't necessarily have to follow it but i think its an interesting idea.

What if the tournament was a U&U simulator that trains noobs how to properly play "the game", and the characters in the roster are like Super Smash bros style Amiibos that have replicated memories and personalities of the cast. This can explain why the can come in all kinds of skins and why they can also encounter themselves, which solves the violence thing if you consider they're replicas meant to simulate the avatar status, and when they're beaten they revert back into statues or something.

As a side note i can't stop thinking about Kitsune managing this training simulator in a little hobby shop named Tool Kit.
Personally, I think that this works for the Arcade build, or even the Training mode. Not for the Story build, though. So, what're everyone else's thoughts?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

That sounds like it would work.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

That sounds really neat, and would make a lot of sense, but if we were to have two different kinds of plots or realities of the game that'd be kinda weird right? I mean the story version wouldn't have to involve the concept of the Arcade at all, but if the villain's whole thing is tournaments then why not just have her be the main deal in both?

It's either one or the other in my opinion, and while the proposed concept is REALLY neat, I personally don't think we should use it for this game.
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, we still have plenty of time to figure this out. I remember suggesting the Arcade build would have Barghest as the final boss, though, while the Saga build would be a continuation of ToB.
UPDATE: Got the palettes for Mirage. She was fun!
miragecharactercolors.png
miragecharactercolors.png (68.13 KiB) Viewed 27647 times
Normal
Reversed
Black and White
Classic Zach (turns out that Zach had a pinkish color when he was first introduced)
Hazel (Watership Down TV Series)
Inverted (mostly)
Primrose (Watership Down TV Series)
Ghost
Pete
Spirit Dragon
Gold
Nue and Olde

Still need six ideas for Fido.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I needed something to preoccupy myself, have some Zach palettes.
Zachfaceset.png
Zachfaceset.png (51.36 KiB) Viewed 27356 times
Normal
reversed
Black and White
Jack Savage (Zootopia)
Karishad
Grape
Blackavar (Watership Down TV series)
Ghost
White Mage (FF1)
Slate (original)
Gold
Shadow

...looking at Slate now, it almost could be another character from the WD tv series, Vervain. And before anyone says anything about the Grape collar, from what I understand of the palettes in MUGEN colors that are shared will be altered at once, and Zach currently shares his eye color with his collar.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So...

A while ago, I got bored and started thinking about this. So, on a random whim, decided to make a mock-up of an intro movie. While really just messing around, I had fun with the different Movie Maker effects. Timing could have been better, but overall I liked how it came out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6zzdH ... p=drivesdk
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Hmmmmmm......I thought of a sort of different idea for a Housepets! fighting game. It's 3-on-3 much like King Of Fighters:

Hero Team: Peanut, Grape, Maxwell (Basically, an equivalent to the classic Kyo/Benimaru/Daimon Japan team but with a female on the team)
King's Team: King, Bailey, Fox (The game's equivalent to the K' Team. Bailey is slow but strong and kinda acts like a female version of Maxima, leaving Fox to be like a male equivalent to Kula/Whip)
Arbelt Team: Tiger, Marvin, Zach (The game's version of the Ash/Duolon/Shen team. Zach is basically the Ash of the game, being a kinda feminine guy. Marvin is a quiet gentleman like Duolon and Tiger's a hotheaded brawler like Shen)
Nerd Team: Joey, Lester, Dallas (Basically, a nerdier male version of the High School Girls team. They'd probably have the catchiest and most cutesy J-pop ish fight theme)
K9 Unit Team: Fido, Kevin, Ralph (Kinda the Ikari Warriors of the game. Fido is the balanced fighter, Kevin is the grappler and Ralph is a speed fighter)
Good Ol Dogs Team: Bino, Rex, Duchess (Kinda the "Outlaw" team of the game, although Bino could be like the game's Iori)
Womens' Team: Sasha, Tarot, Sabrina (The all-female team)
Ferals Team: Jessica, Trinket, Cory (Kinda like the Korea team with Jess taking Kim's role and Trinket and Cory being the Choi and Chang of the game. Why Cory and Trinket instead of Falstaff and Truck? Well, Cory's skunk spray could be utilized into some creative attacks and Trinket could easily be the Choi of the game)
Demigods Team: Kitsune, Pete, Dragon (Basically, an unlockable boss team)
Unlockable Standalones: Itsuki, Res, Satau, Ptah, Mungo

I have no clue who the Final Boss could be. Thoughts?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Never played king of fighters, so wouldn't know how that would work. Team-based fighters that I've played are limited, like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom had a single powerful final boss as opposed to a two-man team (there is one character on each faction that can only be played alone). Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which had 3 vs. 3 setups, also used three people for the final boss; Akuma, Wesker, and finally, if you beat those two, and they often fought simultaneously, you'd go up against Galactus.

In case y'all didn't know, I used the American intro song from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for the video I posted.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

This was somehow the one place I forgot to mention I was working on a remake in my free time.

Also that the game was almost completely functional but was lost on my previous computer.

ImageImageImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, Chaoko. :)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Honestly feels nostalgic to see some of the work done for this. Especially Mirage.

Pretty cool to see the differences in the sprites.

Also, might as well show this.
battle screen mock-up.png
battle screen mock-up.png (35.63 KiB) Viewed 24752 times
Whipped this up using concepts, sketches, and the actual sprites that Chaoko posted either here or the Discord. The background was me.

This was finished literally a few hours before Chaoko announced the initial data loss.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

I'D LIKE TO HELP"
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

How so?
ImageImageImageImage
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

I ACTUALLY STUDY KARATE AND I WAS THINKING MAYBE I COULD BE THE MODDLE FOR FIDO'S FIGHTING MOVES COMBO MOVES AND INTRO AND VICTORY POSE"
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Alright firstly ya don't gotta use all caps I can see your text fine. Secondly, I myself am a martial artist and boxer, frame of references aren't really necessary ^^; . Also I believe police officers would use more standard CQC than martial arts, though if you want to come up with a potential moveset ya could. Might go well with the gameplay who knows.

Help wise the issue is more needed towards art and animation. Really just time as well, I could theoretically do it all again but I really don't have the time to work on this specific project.
ImageImageImageImage
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Oh Ok Sorry For The All CapsLock "
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, first off, FIGHTPETS IS CANCELLED unless someone else wants to go ahead and do the animations needed. But I had a lot of palette concepts that were never shared publicly, so I think I'll go ahead and share what I got. I'll post them in the order that they're in my files, not going to bother with when they were made.
Bahamutpalette.png
Bahamutpalette.png (125.95 KiB) Viewed 17006 times
I know palettes four and five were references to Pete and Dragon. Nine was Porunga from Dragon Ball Z. Ten was Samael from the Shin Megami Tensei series. Unfortunately I don't recall any references with six and seven. Think twelve was in reference to the Space Whale look that Bahamut has.

I'll show more at a later time, if y'all are interested. I've even considered doing more with other characters that were never planned for the game. Already done all the ones there were planned.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind seeing the palettes that you have. It reminds me a lot of SSB where you can change the color or what item your character is wearing. These were really nicely done!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks. Here are some more.
Cerberuspalette.png
Cerberuspalette.png (154.48 KiB) Viewed 16967 times
The squares on each were supposed to represent the patterns of the shirts she would wear. I remember feeling excessively lazy with this one. :oops: 4, 5, and 6 were references to Pete, Dragon, and Bahamut, respectively. 7 was in reference to Cerberus as it appears in Disney's Hercules. 9, 10, and 12 were references to the Shin Megami Tensei series. 9 to Cerberus in most of the games, 10 to how it appears in Persona 3, and 12 is based on Koromaru, the dog who is capable of summoning said Cerberus. This was interesting.
duchesspalettes.png
duchesspalettes.png (125.43 KiB) Viewed 16967 times
duchesspalettesalternate.png
duchesspalettesalternate.png (14.5 KiB) Viewed 16967 times
Okay, weird ones. 5, 6, 7, and 10 are Bino, Sasha, Bruno and Jess. 9 might be Mungo, don't recall anymore. Same with 12, it might be Boris. The two additional ones are Colleen and Karo.
Fidofaceset.png
Fidofaceset.png (15.92 KiB) Viewed 16967 times
Funny, I said I'd get to this one LONG ago. Like with Duchess, entirely in-comic references. 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 are Bino, Joey, Daisy, Fox, Kevin, and Pete. Definitely would have helped if I had chosen an angle where his spot was more viewable.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They all are really nice but the ghost characters who are supposed to be that one leopard during one of the K-9 arcs really is creepy. :?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Understandable. It's the eyes, isn't it? Everyone has a "ghost" costume.
Jatapallet.png
Jatapallet.png (44.91 KiB) Viewed 16924 times
This was...pretty dang weak, and I have a number of weak ones. 5, 7, 9, 10, and 12 are supposed to be Snow, Deadeye, Grape, Fido, and Sabrina. No clue what 6 was. Before anyone asks about 4, merely inverted colors. Chaoko actually sketched up a possible moveset for Jata. Though to be honest, animating him would have been a nightmare.
Jesspallet.png
Jesspallet.png (88.98 KiB) Viewed 16924 times
5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12 are Classic Zach, Custom Ink, Cory, Karishad, Blu-e (Tails of Babylon), and Pete. I don't know why I put in Pete anymore. Side note; Chaoko ended up deciding that Zach wouldn't work in a fighting game and was going to scrap him earlier. I asked that we at least have him as a sort of summon for one of Jess' attacks, which he thought could work. Would have been interesting if the project had progresses.
joeypallet.png
joeypallet.png (47.2 KiB) Viewed 16924 times
5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 were Lester, Dallas, Squeak, Griswold, Devo, and Ponbon. I had no other idea for 12.
Kevin pallet.png
Kevin pallet.png (96.39 KiB) Viewed 16924 times

5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 were Sasha, Terrence, Fox, Boris, Mungo, and Ralph.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah its the eyes. If I saw any of them coming at me I would grab the nearest vacuum cleaner.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Kitsunepalette.png
Kitsunepalette.png (111.33 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 are Yu Narukami (Persona 4), Makoto Yuki (Persona 3), Nick Wilde (Zootopia), Ninetails (Okami), Pete, Dragon, and Itsuki.
Macabrefaceset.png
Macabrefaceset.png (216.77 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
mirageunmaskedmacabre.png
mirageunmaskedmacabre.png (5.46 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
These were interesting. 5, 9, 10, and 12 are Harvey (SaveState), Mirage, Sans (Undertale), and Amaterasu (Okami). 4 and 7 are special ones in commemoration of Dia De Los Muertos. Already posted full images of those in the Art Thread some time ago. Had the idea that Macabre would sort of be like Vega from Street Fighter. The idea was that at times, it would be possible to knock his helmet off. And since I gave him a palette that looked like Mirage, ended up making one of the opposite for Mirage.
Mungopallet.png
Mungopallet.png (176.98 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
I don't think there were any real references with Mungo. His lack of usable colors and patterns really stifled me here.